Print Thread
Scorned as the one who ran
300+ posts
OP Offline
300+ posts
Five LOHS students sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts

Quote:
Five Live Oak High School students' First Amendment rights were challenged this morning when they were asked to leave school because they donned American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Officials at the school chose not to comment on the situation, but one student said an official called the T-shirts "incendiary."

"They said we were starting a fight, we were fuel to the fire," said sophomore Matt Dariano.

The Morgan Hill Unified School District issued this statement: "In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today. The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

The five teens were sitting at a table outside during their brunch break about 10:10 a.m. when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two boys to take off their American flag bandannas. The boys said they complied. In the same conversation, sophomore Dominic Maciel said, Rodriguez told the group to "walk with him to the office."

Dariano called his mother Diana, who spread the word to the other parents, who all arrived soon after to have a conference with Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden. The group said they were not instigating anything and did what they always do at break - sit and talk and eat.

The boys were told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home - and that it would not be considered a suspension - but that Rodriguez did not want any fights to break out among Mexican-American students and those wearing American flags. Dariano said other students were wearing American flags but since they were a group of five "we were the easiest target to cause trouble" according to Rodriguez, he said.

The boys told Rodriguez and Boden that turning their T-shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents opted to take them home.

"I just couldn't believe it," said Dominic's mother Julie Fagerstrom. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

A front-desk secretary said Boden was unavailable for any comment on what had happened Wednesday and Rodriguez was busy with testing, the secretary said.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing red, white and green as they were leaving school. Some had the Mexican flag painted on their faces or on their arms.

Nothing in Live Oak's dress code policy addresses what transpired Wednesday, but it does state that "the school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Live Oak High School even hosted a group of professional baile folklorico dancers, who waved flags and played traditional music from Mexico.

"It's sad it's come to this," Fagerstrom said. "But we stand behind their patriotic nature and the boys expressing their individuality."

The boys wrote a two-paragraph statement that they each signed detailing their support for American patriotism and that they felt disrespected and discriminated against when their First Amendment rights were discarded Wednesday at school.

"We were not going to start a fight. We wanted to show our pride," Dariano said.

300+ posts
OP Offline
300+ posts
Those little shits got what they deserved. What kind of racist scum would wear an
American Flag shirt? They should lock them up and throw away the key. People could have been offended.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Tensions High After School Flag Flap: Police on alert for gang retaliation against 5 students who wore American flag clothing on Cinco de Mayo; Hispanic students protest chanting 'si se puedes' — 'yes we can'

"Yes we Can"...where have I heard that before? ;\)

But, seriously, this isn't--or shouldn't be a republican or democrat issue. The issue should be why the fuck are we allowing a school to do this and what can we, as a nation, do to stop shit like kids being threatened by gangs for wearing American colors?

300+ posts
OP Offline
300+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

I have concerns about some of the language that is being used because I saw this myself, in the late '70s in San Francisco. This kind of rhetoric was very frightening, and it created a climate in which violence took place.

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
I can't believe the kids were sent home for that. We had studentswalking around our junior high with the Mexican flag draped around their shoulders on cinco de mayo!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Tensions High After School Flag Flap: Police on alert for gang retaliation against 5 students who wore American flag clothing on Cinco de Mayo; Hispanic students protest chanting 'si se puedes' — 'yes we can'

"Yes we Can"...where have I heard that before? ;\)

But, seriously, this isn't--or shouldn't be a republican or democrat issue. The issue should be why the fuck are we allowing a school to do this and what can we, as a nation, do to stop shit like kids being threatened by gangs for wearing American colors?

"Si se puede" is espanol for "Seig Heil"

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
I hate brown people.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
I hate brown people,but I love their kids.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man innocent User 1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts 36 minutes 51 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: 5 high school students sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Arthur Digby Sellers
Five LOHS students sent home for wearing American flag T-shirts

Quote:
Five Live Oak High School students' First Amendment rights were challenged this morning when they were asked to leave school because they donned American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Officials at the school chose not to comment on the situation, but one student said an official called the T-shirts "incendiary."

"They said we were starting a fight, we were fuel to the fire," said sophomore Matt Dariano.

The Morgan Hill Unified School District issued this statement: "In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today. The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

The five teens were sitting at a table outside during their brunch break about 10:10 a.m. when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two boys to take off their American flag bandannas. The boys said they complied. In the same conversation, sophomore Dominic Maciel said, Rodriguez told the group to "walk with him to the office."

Dariano called his mother Diana, who spread the word to the other parents, who all arrived soon after to have a conference with Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden. The group said they were not instigating anything and did what they always do at break - sit and talk and eat.

The boys were told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home - and that it would not be considered a suspension - but that Rodriguez did not want any fights to break out among Mexican-American students and those wearing American flags. Dariano said other students were wearing American flags but since they were a group of five "we were the easiest target to cause trouble" according to Rodriguez, he said.

The boys told Rodriguez and Boden that turning their T-shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents opted to take them home.

"I just couldn't believe it," said Dominic's mother Julie Fagerstrom. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

A front-desk secretary said Boden was unavailable for any comment on what had happened Wednesday and Rodriguez was busy with testing, the secretary said.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing red, white and green as they were leaving school. Some had the Mexican flag painted on their faces or on their arms.

Nothing in Live Oak's dress code policy addresses what transpired Wednesday, but it does state that "the school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Live Oak High School even hosted a group of professional baile folklorico dancers, who waved flags and played traditional music from Mexico.

"It's sad it's come to this," Fagerstrom said. "But we stand behind their patriotic nature and the boys expressing their individuality."

The boys wrote a two-paragraph statement that they each signed detailing their support for American patriotism and that they felt disrespected and discriminated against when their First Amendment rights were discarded Wednesday at school.

"We were not going to start a fight. We wanted to show our pride," Dariano said.

Wow. It's this kind of over-reaction that's ruining this country. I wonder how far the "we must be accepting" trend is going to stretch before it finally snaps and we knee-jerk the exact opposite direction?

I hate the stupidity of the common American, myself included. We're all trapped in the cog of an uncaring, unmoving, indestructible, souless corporate machine that will bleed us dry generation after generation.

At what point do we go so far as to abandon our national identity? It's sad. America no longer welcomes people to our shores, we give them the keys to the castle and sit back while they wreck the place...

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
who cares? It sounds like these guys were looking to pick a fight. Just because someone wraps themselves in an American flag doesn't make them heroes. Hell one day in sophomore year I draped a flag around myself like a cape and ran around from class to class shouting for Drago to come out and face me. Doesn't mean the teachers were wrong for telling me to get out.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
See, I have to respectfully disagree. This is the United States of America. Our flag is the American Flag. Just because we celebrate a holiday doesn't mean we ban patriotism. The entire point of celebrating Cinco De Mayo is an example of the openness and welcoming nature of our national culture. We celebrate other cultures customs. But, all of those myriad cultures we celebrate fall under the American flag. Just because it's Christmas doesn't mean we take down the flag, you know?

So, these five kids sitting around, having lunch, exercising their American rights to wear an American flag. I cannot see that in any way as an attempt at starting a fight, no more than I can see anyone wearing a Mexican flag as an insult to America...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
but pro, america is always to blame!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
can i just set fire to the students wearing the american flag shirts instead?

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
That would assume we would allow you into our country...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
That is why we stop all short buses at the border.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
who cares? It sounds like these guys were looking to pick a fight. Just because someone wraps themselves in an American flag doesn't make them heroes. Hell one day in sophomore year I draped a flag around myself like a cape and ran around from class to class shouting for Drago to come out and face me. Doesn't mean the teachers were wrong for telling me to get out.

Drago would break you.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I fight for ME!!

Link Copied to Clipboard