Print Thread
#1120600 2010-06-24 10:43 AM
PCG342 Offline OP
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
so. 'bout 3 days ago the girlfriend somehow kicked her laptop (didn't knock it off the couch) while I was running CHKDSK.
Fatal error, CHKDSK can't continue, laptop won't boot.
Run another HDD scan. Over 2,000 bad sectors.
If you're not familiar with the term, bad sectors are basically corrupted areas on the hard drive. Typically users start off with a few and notice MAJOR performance drops, and with continued use, the corrupt sectors multiply.
With that said, I wasn't about to continue screwing with it. Yet.
Fast forward a day when I remember an all-in-one boot CD just packed with recovery and maintenance programs as well as a small Linux and Win98 build called Hiren's Boot CD. So, rather than dick around with burning a CD (I'm lazy and cheap, piss off) I created a bootable USB flash drive (PM me and I can walk you through that if ever you need me to...) and fired it up. Ran a program called HDD Regenerator, and now it's as good as new.

If you have a computer that's just a little (or seriously) screwed up, look into Hiren's. It has BIOS/CMOS recovery applications, too.
http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck off ... nerd!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
so. 'bout 3 days ago the girlfriend somehow kicked her laptop (didn't knock it off the couch) while I was running CHKDSK.
If you're not familiar with the term, bad sectors are basically corrupted areas on the hard drive. Typically users start off with a few and notice MAJOR performance drops, and with continued use, the corrupt sectors multiply.
Fast forward a day when I remember an all-in-one boot CD just packed with recovery and maintenance programs as well as a small Linux and Win98 build called Hiren's Boot CD. So, rather than dick around with burning a CD (I'm lazy and cheap, piss off) I created a bootable USB flash drive (PM me and I can walk you through that if ever you need me to...) and fired it up. Ran a program called HDD Regenerator, and now it's as good as new.

If you have a computer that's just a little (or seriously) screwed up, look into Hiren's. It has BIOS/CMOS recovery applications, too.

sincerely,

seriously I thought of 2 or 3 newer and more streamlined utilities in the time it took to read that. a lot of the time when someone's system won't boot, all they really needed to do was boot to their installation/recovery disc and rebuild the MBR in command prompt. herculean effort (as always) but no cool points for you this time.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän

Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch

sincerely,

seriously I thought of 2 or 3 newer and more streamlined utilities in the time it took to read that. a lot of the time when someone's system won't boot, all they really needed to do was boot to their installation/recovery disc and rebuild the MBR in command prompt. herculean effort (as always) but no cool points for you this time.

Fuck off ... nerd!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

sincerely,

Fuck off ... (other) nerd!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
\:lol\:\:lol\:\:lol\:

PCG342 Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts

sincerely,

Tried rebuilding the MBR before thinking of another alternative. It was then that I decided to run the other scan to find out just what was wrong with the damned hard drive.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
cool story bro

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
PCG342 Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
-shrug- could be worse. I could be discussing my schoolwork with you?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
cool story bro

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ

Link Copied to Clipboard