Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/report-clemens-to-be-indicted/article1678685/

Quote:
NEW YORK — The Associated Press
Published on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010 1:28PM EDT

Last updated on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010 1:34PM EDT

.The New York Times reported on its website Thursday that federal authorities have decided to indict Roger Clemens on charges of making false statements to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The Times said it based its report on information from two people briefed on the matter and said an announcement is expected in the near future.

Clemens and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, testified under oath at a hearing before a House committee and contradicted each other about whether Clemens had used the banned substances.

The committee held the hearing in February 2008.

McNamee has told federal agents, baseball investigator George Mitchell and the committee that he injected Clemens more than a dozen times with steroids and human growth hormone from 1998-01.

Clemens has maintained that McNamee was lying.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2010/08/20/the-tragedy-of-roger-clemens-a-liar-always-whiffs/

It was arrogance that doomed Roger Clemens, raw defiance feeding a blind and reckless narcissism. He thought he could reach back and throw one more heater, bullying an informant named Brian McNamee with the same attack-dog force that led to 354 victories and seven Cy Young Awards in 23 major-league seasons. He was The Rocket, after all, and in his mind, he could discredit his former trainer to anybody who would listen, then venture to Capitol Hill, schmooze Congressional investigators with a few autographs and photos, take an oath and tell a House committee, "Let me be clear. I have never taken steroids or HGH."

What he didn't understand was a basic tenet of life.

No one stares down and strikes out the truth, not even a pitcher who has fanned 4,672 batters.

Because Clemens chose to fight the law, the dirty syringes and the sworn testimony of credible witnesses -- including close friend Andy Pettitte -- instead of coming clean with honesty, his legacy in baseball is ruined. Once arguably the greatest power pitcher ever, he now likely faces 15 to 21 months in prison after a federal grand jury slapped him with a six-count indictment on perjury charges. Of all the devastation and stench left by The Steroids Era, the idea of Clemens receiving up to a 30-year prison sentence and $1.5 million fine represents the most pathetic and stunning fallout yet. Like Barry Bonds, the greatest power hitter ever, he chose to aggressively fight the accusations rather than accept the consequences and move on. It was one thing to battle McNamee in a public forum such as "60 Minutes." It was quite another to stand before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, on a solo mission of his own volition, and tell a highly suspicious group of men and women that he somehow was juice-free at a time of widespread performance-enhancing binging in the sport.

"Clemens was not under subpoena. He came voluntarily," said former Rep. Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican who swung a heavy hammer during Congress' probe of steroids in baseball. "And I sat there in the office with (committee chairman) Henry Waxman and said, 'Whatever you do, don't lie.' ''

The grand jury is convinced he lied 15 times under oath. If he did, this will be a tragic case of double jeopardy, a "self-inflicted wound'' -- as Davis called it -- for a fallen legend who should have known better than to challenge reality with falsehoods. Think of all those who have come clean in baseball, such as Alex Rodriguez last year. His credibility is in tatters and he is more ridiculed than admired, but at least he fessed up about his steroids use and was able to proceed with a career that could net 800 home runs, not to mention a romantic career that took him from Kate Hudson to Cameron Diaz. Pettitte, too, chose the honest route when he told investigators that Clemens had disclosed he'd used human growth hormone, and he continues to enjoy popularity and prosperity as an impactful starting pitcher with the New York Yankees. In the dark, numbing aftermath of The Steroids Era, what we've learned is that the public is forgiving to those who apologize, if not forgetful. Even Mark McGwire tried to acknowledge wrongdoing, and while his explanation was dubious in spots, he was allowed to resume his baseball life as a batting coach in St. Louis. Clemens?

He's an American pariah, a hopeless buffoon who continues to claim his innocence despite mountains of evidence against him, much based on McNamee's statements in baseball's Mitchell Report that he often injected Clemens with steroids and HGH between 1998 and 2001. Apparently not learning from his mistakes before the committee, which heard him answer questions without the slightest attempt at ambiguity, he took to his Twitter account to claim his innocence.

"I never took HGH or Steroids. And I did not lie to Congress," Clemens wrote. "I look forward to challenging the Governments accusations, and hope people will keep an open mind until trial. I appreciate all the support I have been getting. I am happy to finally have my day in court."

Whatever support he is receiving is coming only from family, friends and his attorney Rusty Harden. Otherwise, a nation worn down by too many steroids liars in sports believes the testimony of McNamee, who kept and stored the syringes used to allegedly inject Clemens and turned them into precious pieces of proof for the government. "The problem is nobody ever talks about what he should have done if he didn't do it,'' Harden said Thursday. "And he didn't do it and he's adamant about that and always has been. Today is just another continuing part of that saga ... Roger is looking forward to his day in court. He is happy this has finally happened. We have known for some time this was going to happen. We'll let everything get taken care of in court."

Hopefully, Clemens doesn't bamboozle the jurors with the Meet-the-Rocket stunts he attempted to pull in Congress. Trying to be a charming celebrity no longer has impact for a man whose image has been ravaged, not just by PEDs but reports of numerous extramarital affairs, one with country singer Mindy McCready. Every step of the way, he denies, denies, denies. And every step of the way, he looks like a bigger creep, delusional and overbearing. Remember when he was mentioned 82 times in the Mitchell Report and waited four days to issue this response: "I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment.'' Remember how he tried to twist Pettitte's testimony by claiming he'd told his friend about three older men whose lives were improved by HGH? "I believe Andy misremembered,'' said Clemens, botching the language.

"I don't think I misunderstood him,'' countered Pettitte, whose character remains respected despite his steroids admission.

Seems Clemens' obstinacy has cost him his reputation, his place in the Hall of Fame and his standing in Americana. If he was thinking straight, he wouldn't have rejected a plea bargain, as Harden told the media. The Rocket has no one but himself to blame for crashing to Earth. "As far as we're concerned, it's vindication," said Earl Ward, a McNamee attorney, in an ESPN interview. "This all came about, ultimately, because of Roger's arrogance. He was the one who demanded the Congressional hearing. He's in this position now because of his arrogance.''

Just as it was surreal to see Marion Jones, the disgraced track star, serve prison time for lying under oath about steroids use, it will boggle the mind when Clemens is led away in a jumpsuit. It's inconceivable he could slide now with so many counts against him, which begs the question of why a man fenced into a corner would keep fighting a dishonorable fight. What is he thinking? He could have fessed up three years ago, agreed to teach children about the evils of PEDs and carried on with a clean conscience. Now, he looks like an idiot on his last legs, convinced of his innocence when he wears guilt on his face.
If he still believes Cooperstown is a possibility, he can jump off that fantasy train, too
-- Jay Mariotti
If he still believes Cooperstown is a possibility, he can jump off that fantasy train, too. I won't be voting "yes'' for the same reason I won't vote for McGwire or other players who have acknowledged or been legitimately linked to steroids use. Rodriguez still has a slight shot of making the Hall if he finishes his career with the most home runs and convinces voters that he did so without PEDs in his 30s, which may be impossible. Clemens has a better chance of being invited to President Obama's backyard than reaching Cooperstown.

His accuser knows that much better than anyone. "He's done. He's not going to the Hall of Fame. There's no chance,'' McNamee said recently in an interview with a site called sportsimproper.com. "Too much damage. Too much trust was broken. Between the people that gave him his career, the people that wrote about his career, and the people that supported his career ... You know, it takes a lifetime to build trust. All it takes is one monumental moment to break that trust and you're done. And that's what happened.''

Some players, such as former Clemens teammate Lance Berkman, think the steroids taint eventually will fade. "In my opinion, he's a Hall of Famer. Period," Berkman told reporters. "Whatever you want to say about the guy, he belongs in the Hall of Fame. In my opinion, legacy-wise, I guess that's up to -- I mean, 200 years from now, who cares? In the short term, I guess, he may have some things to address. He's a big boy. He'll face up to whatever it is.''

Those in the steroids culture aren't as nice. "The indictment of Roger Clemens comes as no surprise to me," said Victor Conte, founder of the Bay Area-based BALCO lab that gave sport its biggest steroids scandal. "In my opinion, the case against Clemens is far stronger than the case against Barry Bonds. Brian McNamee is an eyewitness who will testify against Clemens and there appears to be strong physical evidence against him as well. I believe Roger Clemens is in a lot of trouble."

Trouble as in prison, it appears. And if there's any justice to be found within the injustice done to baseball, Clemens and Bonds will be cellmates. They were among the biggest names who returned baseball to prominence back in the '90s, after a labor stoppage threatened the sport's popularity. And they were the ones who ravaged the sport, made us distrust and even hate it.

For that, he deserves to be hauled away in cuffs. Any man who compounds one big lie with 15 others, while under oath, is an affront to humanity. He used to wear No. 22 in Yankee pinstripes. His next number will be much longer.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
P.S. RACK Jaburg.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2010/08/20/the-tragedy-of-roger-clemens-a-liar-always-whiffs/

It was arrogance that doomed Roger Clemens, raw defiance feeding a blind and reckless narcissism....

Combined with an IQ lower than Napoleon's approval rating after Waterloo. \:lol\:

Link Copied to Clipboard