Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-05/polit...?_s=PM:POLITICS

Quote:
'The choice between security and values was real'

Bush reveals the decision points that led him to choose waterboarding as an interrogation technique.

"CIA experts drew up a list of interrogation techniques. ... At my direction, Department of Justice and CIA lawyers conducted a careful legal review. The enhanced interrogation program complied with the Constitution and all applicable laws, including those that ban torture.

"There were two that I felt went too far, even if they were legal. I directed the CIA not to use them. Another technique was waterboarding, a process of simulated drowning. No doubt the procedure was tough, but medical experts assured the CIA that it did no lasting harm."

Though Bush confirms that he knew the use of waterboarding would one day become public, and acknowledges that it is "sensitive and controversial," he asserts that "the choice between security and values was real," and expresses firm confidence in his decision. "Had I not authorized waterboarding on senior al Qaeda leaders, I would have had to accept a greater risk that the country would be attacked. In the wake of 9/11, that was a risk I was unwilling to take," he writes.

Bush further declares that the new techniques proved effective, yielding information on al Qaeda's structure and operations, and leading to the capture of Ramzi bin al Shibh, the logistical planner of the 9/11 attacks who was captured on the first anniversary of 9/11.

And if there were any lingering doubts or conflict about the use of waterboarding, Bush discloses that he received reassurance from an unlikely source: terror suspect Abu Zubaydah.

The former president writes, "His understanding of Islam was that he had to resist interrogation only up to a certain point. Waterboarding was the technique that allowed him to reach that threshold, fulfill his religious duty, and then cooperate." Bush elaborates that Zubaydah gave him a direct instruction, "'You must do this for all the brothers.'"

Intelligence gleaned from interrogations of Abu Zubaydah and other suspects led to the capture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Bush writes. During a raid on Mohammed's compound, agents discovered more plans for terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.

Prompted by the discoveries, Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet asked if he had permission to use enhanced interrogation techniques including waterboarding on Mohammed.

Bush exposes his inner thoughts on what led him to reach this decision: "I thought about my meeting with Danny Pearl's widow, who was pregnant with his son when he was murdered. I thought about the 2,971 people stolen from their families by al Qaeda on 9/11. And I thought about my duty to protect my country from another act of terror.

'Damn right,' I said."

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

history will look favorably on this man for what he did to secure this country.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Bush: Obama doesn’t need me criticizing him:
  • Former President Bush sat down with Oprah for an interview set to air on November 9 and said that he is treating President Obama as he would have liked former Presidents to have treated him, which is why he has never criticized Obama. Despite how you may feel about it, it’s very classy...

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
It makes Obama look like such a buffoon for demonizing Bush.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sadly, however, Obama's remaining supporters tend to be hyper-partisan, so "blame Bush" is still a winning attack in their eyes...even after last week's elections.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/11/05/2010-11-05_dubyas_deepest_thoughts_former_prez_happy_to_be_out_of_dc_memoirs_say.html

• As he prepares for the Tuesday launch of his memoir, "Decision Points," Bush scrupulously gives his successor a public pass - a statesmanlike stance urged by his father, President George H. W. Bush.

"I want my President to succeed because if my President succeeds my country succeeds, and I want my country to succeed," Bush typically says when asked about Obama.

"He won't call Obama by name but he won't trash him," a confidant noted, referring to Bush's comments in post-presidency speaking appearances, which have netted him millions, often at $100,000 or more a pop

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...l#ixzz14bmliqYO

Yep. Class. Thanks for pointing that out, JLA

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Too bad he didn't keep his comments to himself regarding Palin and McCain though...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
According to your article, he did. Someone anonymously leaked a private conversation.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
No he didn't. If he had kept his comments to himself there wouldn't have been a private conversation. I will say I think there is a difference between a private private conversation and a public statement.

Fair play!
500+ posts
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
No he didn't. If he had kept his comments to himself there wouldn't have been a private conversation. I will say I think there is a difference between a private private conversation and a public statement.

What's the difference between a private conversation and a 'private private' conversation?

Is that like the difference betweem rape and 'rape-rape'?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
What's the difference between a private conversation and a 'private private' conversation?

In this case, I think it's the party affiliation of the speaker.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: casselmm47
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Neither case would be keeping his comments to himself. Keeping something to yourself doesn't include having a conversation with somebody about it.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah...

Link Copied to Clipboard