Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/scranto...3#axzz1K3slqCAz

Quote:
The complaint, which was filed with the state Labor Relations Board on April 14, takes issue with the chief arresting a man who was allegedly in possession of marijuana because the chief is not a member of the collective bargaining unit and was “off duty” when the March 20 arrest was made.

“I think it’s absurd. I’m not going to turn my head on crime that takes place,” Chief Duffy said. “I took the same oath (as a police officer) that everyone else took.

“On my day off and I’m driving around as the police chief, and that’s wrong?” he asked.

The complaint states that “the work of apprehending and arresting individuals has been the sole and exclusive province of members of the bargaining unit,“ and that the city did not inform or negotiate with the union that the chief would be ”performing bargaining unit work.”

But, the union president said the chief, as member of management, should not actively root out crime or randomly patrol neighborhoods while off duty because it violates union agreements that protect rank-and-file officers’ employment. The union is concerned city administrators will have more leverage to lay off police officers because “Chief Duffy will step in” and do the work, Sgt. Martin said

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
WTF?

I'm all for securing the employment of rank and file workers, being one myself. But being threatened by an upper management staff going beyond the call of duty is overdoing it. And letting crime go for the sake of their job security proves that some of their agreements are shit and not for the good of people paying their wages.

Also, how about citizen's arrest? I'm not familiar with that state's laws so I'm not sure if there is such a thing.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
This is why public employee unions are bullshit. Public employees are being paid our tax money to provide essential services, they aren't entitled to our money. If someone is committing a crime it needs to be stopped, not allowed to continue until someone gets some overtime pay.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
mmmm...I wonder what the guy with the big SEIU avatar has to say about this.

Link Copied to Clipboard