Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/national-emergency-alert-system-set-to-launch-in-nyc/

Quote:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A new national alert system is set to begin in New York City that will alert the public to emergencies via cell phones.

It’s called the Personal Localized Alert Network or PLAN. Presidential and local emergency messages as well as Amber Alerts would appear on cell phones equipped with special chips and software.

“The lessons that were reinforced on 9/11 is the importance of getting clear and accurate information to the public during a crisis,” New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a news conference on Tuesday.

Verizon and AT&T, the nation’s largest cell phone carriers, are already on board. Consumers would be able to opt out of all but those presidential messages.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
WTF? Why should we be required to listen to his crap?

1984 doesn't seem so much like fiction anymore.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i always thought it strange that we've forever had TV and radio interrupted by tests for the emergency broadcast system - only to have no real information come out during 9/11. that was your big chance, guys! stop ruining my late-night episodes of roseanne!

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
But why would we be forced to receive messages from the President? If the tv emergency thing comes on, you can turn the channel. This is a requirement to receive the message.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I like how I get the monthly warning one a week during Conan.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
But why would we be forced to receive messages from the President? If the tv emergency thing comes on, you can turn the channel. This is a requirement to receive the message.

it's not a terrible idea, in theory, to have a system to "get the word out" in case of emergencies.

but neither is the original "emergency broadcast system", which is (was?) already more widespread and readily available via free airwaves (despite quickly disappearing). and, as far as cell phone usage, it's tough to get a signal in NYC on a regular day -- on 9/11, people went hours with no connection.

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
exactly why this isn't for true emergencies but a way to force his message on others.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
in the end, it all relates: what doesn't kill us is making us stronger

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53941.html

Quote:
President Obama’s aides have quietly turned the key in the engine of the massive campaign-in-waiting that’s been operating under the name Organizing for America for the past two years, and will begin his reelection with the sort of online and field organizations most presidential campaigns would be glad to have 16 months from now.

The leadership of the field organization — with hundreds of employees, tens of thousands of volunteers and massive online assets (primarily, a giant email list) — is shifting from the Democratic National Committee to the new campaign in Chicago. And in mass emails and in a quiet series of one-on-one meetings with volunteer leaders, the group is resetting its relationship with its supporters.

And while many Democrats have complained that Organizing for America’s vaunted abilities began to sputter once Obama became president, people watching the organization closely say it has succeeded in what may have been its central mission all along: building an unparalleled reelection organization while staying under the political world’s radar.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob

if the last two years are any indication, getting stronger won't be the option for the country.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Why does it need a "special" chip? All phones can receive text messages?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab

if the last two years are any indication, getting stronger won't be the option for the country.

stop ruining my late-night episodes of roseanne!

obscure roseanne reference, for! the! win!!

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Can you ever really win with a Roseanne reference?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Wouldn't there be less hassle to just build a bunch of loudspeakers everywhere, like they do with cameras? I mean from a technical, legal and economical P.O.V.; it would be about as "1984" as the special chips.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Can you ever really win with a Roseanne reference?

we'll find out at the next 9/11!

giant picture

Link Copied to Clipboard