#1153146 2011-07-15 6:04 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33314
 Quote:
Throughout this week, Marvel Comics has revealed mysterious silhouette images of iconic characters filled with descriptive words, proclaiming "It's either in you, or it's not" with a date of December 2011. Each image contained a piece of a hidden message that gradually came together under the watchful eyes of the CBR forum's incredibly cryptology skills. Now, with the fifth and likely final piece of the puzzle revealed, the messages are complete, but without the addition of more secret words.

Beginning with the teaser image of Iron Fist on Monday, forum member david_boring discovered that the colored letters could be grouped by color and unscrambled to form four different words. As teaser images of Doctor Strange, Red She-Hulk and Silver Surfer surfaced on the following days, messages began to take shape by putting the same colored words in chronological order of image released. Today's addition of Hulk reveals that the messages were already complete.

• Red message: "Everyone you love dies."

• Orange message: "Shut the engines down."

• Yellow message: "The universe will break."

• Maroon message: "Fight to save everything."

As speculation continues to burgeon on the forums, the running theory -- likely due to the word DEFENDER appearing in each of the silhouettes (though The Hulk seems to feature the word "OFFENDER") -- is that these images herald a return of the Defenders to the Marvel U. While the messages themselves reveal little about the prevalent theory, answers will undoubtedly come to light at Comic-Con International in San Diego. Stay tuned for CBR's live coverage of Marvel's Sunday "Fear Itself" panel with writers Greg Pak, Cullen Bunn, Nick Spencer and editor-in-chief Axel Alonso.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The Defenders is such a great name for a team but it's never really worked.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Defenders is one of my all time favorite titles. The original Marvel Presents issues and the first 40 or so issues of the series have long ago left their mark on me. Unfortunately in this summer of company wide tie-ins I gave a pass to the Defenders this go-round. Someone please tell me I was sadly mistaken in not picking up this book. I still spent $65.00 on the habit today and with the Wife out of work I couldn't justify picking up a new title.

-----once over and twice twisted---------
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Update: Wife is back at work and I'm up to issue 6 of the Defenders!!The book is not that good tho...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
All that hype from the marketing machine. Where is the buzz now?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
To paraphrase Tony Stark from "the" movie...they do have a Hulk!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
There are too many "Hulks" in the MU. I wonder who thought that was a good idea? They all need to die except Shulkie and Banner's original. Everyone else can fuck off.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I stopped reading the Hulk quite a few years ago so this Betty Hulk and Thunderbolt Hulk are interesting to me at the moment. Don't despair Pro! I give Marvel 25 years or less until they have a company wide Hulk reboot.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I dropped the book after the third issue.It's crap.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
I've been picking this one up, too. It feels like it should be alot better. \:\(

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
The Defenders is such a great name for a team but it's never really worked.

The name "defenders" can conjure up people who directly interact with the people they protect.

As such, way back when, Marvel should have used that name for a group of "street level" heroes, for example: Spiderman, Daredevil, Black Widow, Power Man, Iron Fist, Tigra Moon Knight, etc. Maybe even Wolverine.

That would have differentiated the team from the Avengers, who'd be more in charge of "cosmic" menaces, etc.

Of course, at this point, Spidey and Wolverine are Avengers and some of the other "street level" heroes have been as well, so I don't know if the distinction would work.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm thinking the Avengers should be the government sponsored types (or the East Cost would be government sponsored, while the west coast would be corporate sponsored), while the Defenders would be more the "people's superteam" types. I'd rather they lay off the cosmic threats for a while.

Of course, the problem with these superteams made up of superheroes who can stand on their own is that there's very little chance that any single earthbound threat would require the whole team to beat, so they usually resort to cosmic threats. It's not like Power Rangers or G.I. Joe where every member has a unique skill that helps. I bet that Tony has something in his armor that would be much better than any of Hawkeye's arrows (hell, I bet his armor can shoot arrows if he wants to)

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
In the 70's and 80's when I read the DEFENDERS, what I liked was that they were all loner characters (Hulk, Dr. Strange, Hellcat, Son of Satan, sometimes Silver Surfer...) who were essentially loner characters, who almost by reluctance worked together as a team.

I loved the early Englehart stories, and the Kraft/Giffen period in the mid-70's. and Golden did some incredible covers that made me wish he did some interior art.

The last version I tried was the DeMatteis/Giffen Maguire period, circa 2006, and even with that creative team, it was a dissapointment. Like a JUSTICE LEAGUE re-tread that they tried to put on the Defenders, but it didn't fit. Would that they had a writer who gave the series the justice it deserves.

Some nice Golden DEFENDERS covers:

Link Copied to Clipboard