Next Thread
Print Thread
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/09...tors_picks=true

If there were no glitch... then this is the most awesome thing next to finding a monolith on the Moon and hearing an astronaut exclaim "My God, it's full of stars!"

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yeah... old news around here.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Good for you!

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Maybe you can go back in time and post this before Pro does.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Or he can just go.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
That's pretty cool.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I was reading an article about how the tolerance on GPS results is like 50 nanoseconds so anything less than that should be scrutinized. I think it'll end up being a calculation error.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
...and I was right!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...ired+Science%29

Quote:
It’s Official: Neutrinos Can’t Beat Speed of Light
By Wired UKEmail Author June 8, 2012 | 2:15 pm |

By Mark Brown, Wired UK

Physicists at the CERN laboratory have put the final nail in the coffin for the idea that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light. They also confirmed that the groundbreaking results from 2011 can be blamed on faulty equipment.

Back in September 2011, a team of particle physicists detected neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light as they traveled from CERN to the Gran Sasso lab. They smashed the universal speed limit by 60 nanoseconds — a result that was constant, even after 15,000 repetitions of the process.

The results seem to run counter to a century’s worth of physics and would overturn Einsten’s special theory of relativity if true. As such, CERN called for more experiments to double-check the findings.

“When an experiment finds an apparently unbelievable result, it’s normal procedure to invite broader scrutiny,” CERN research director Sergio Bertolucci said at the time. “We need to be sure that there are no other, more mundane, explanations.”

At the International Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics in Kyoto on June 8, CERN research director Sergio Bertolucci presented results on the travel time of neutrinos from CERN to the INFN Gran Sasso Laboratory, on behalf of four experiments — Borexino, Icarus, LVD and Opera.

All four experiments measured a neutrino time of flight that was below the speed of light, confirming that neutrinos respect Einstein’s cosmic speed limit. The previous anomaly was “attributed to a faulty element of the experiment’s fibreoptic timing system.”

“Although this result isn’t as exciting as some would have liked,” said Bertolucci, “it is what we all expected deep down.”

“The story captured the public imagination, and has given people the opportunity to see the scientific method in action — an unexpected result was put up for scrutiny, thoroughly investigated and resolved in part thanks to collaboration between normally competing experiments.”

In March 2012, Antonio Ereditato — spokesperson of the Opera experiment — resigned from his post. That was following revelations that the results could have been affected by an unaccounted-for error, and a follow-up test from Icarus that ran counter to Opera’s findings.

Dooglas T. Mightius - 1
Stoopid particle physicists - 0

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Einstein!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Suuuuuuure. We discover faster-than-light particles and suddenly there's an "error"? Right. Okay. I bet they said the same thing about nuclear fission when the Russians were listening. Pfft.

Give me a break. Any extreme scientific advancement will be subsumed and controlled by the military agencies that want proprietary technological supremacy. That's why science advanced----right up until the Spy Era began in the 21st century. After that, we must be distracted by iPad4 and iPhone7. No, no. No other real science being learned here. Don't pay attention. Move along sheep. Move along...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate G-Burg
DEERRR! A light switch???? DEERRR!!!

Poor dummy. \:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Suuuuuuure. We discover faster-than-light particles and suddenly there's an "error"? Right. Okay. I bet they said the same thing about nuclear fission when the Russians were listening. Pfft.

Give me a break. Any extreme scientific advancement will be subsumed and controlled by the military agencies that want proprietary technological supremacy. That's why science advanced----right up until the Spy Era began in the 21st century. After that, we must be distracted by iPad4 and iPhone7. No, no. No other real science being learned here. Don't pay attention. Move along sheep. Move along...

Top physicists like Dr.Michio Kaku questioned the equipment used to perform these tests since day one.

There are so many things that work based on Einstein's theory of relativity.

It's passed unambiguous tests.

But YOU know better that Einstein? Newton?

Are you serious?

Science advanced only until the cold war?

Since then we've gone to the moon and beyond, built the iPhone 4, and discovered particle physics.

Look at the advancement of PCs alone over the past 20 years.

Science, real science has advanced exponentially since the discovery of fire.

There may not seem to be giant leaps to you but when you compare your grandparents childhood to how a child today grows up those are very different times.

Who is the "We" in your post anyhow?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate G-Burg
DEERRR! A light switch???? DEERRR!!!

Poor dummy. \:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh, Spametheus.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh, Spametheus.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
...and I was right!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/0...ired+Science%29

Quote:
It’s Official: Neutrinos Can’t Beat Speed of Light
By Wired UKEmail Author June 8, 2012 | 2:15 pm |

By Mark Brown, Wired UK

Physicists at the CERN laboratory have put the final nail in the coffin for the idea that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light. They also confirmed that the groundbreaking results from 2011 can be blamed on faulty equipment.

Back in September 2011, a team of particle physicists detected neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light as they traveled from CERN to the Gran Sasso lab. They smashed the universal speed limit by 60 nanoseconds — a result that was constant, even after 15,000 repetitions of the process.

The results seem to run counter to a century’s worth of physics and would overturn Einsten’s special theory of relativity if true. As such, CERN called for more experiments to double-check the findings.

“When an experiment finds an apparently unbelievable result, it’s normal procedure to invite broader scrutiny,” CERN research director Sergio Bertolucci said at the time. “We need to be sure that there are no other, more mundane, explanations.”

At the International Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics in Kyoto on June 8, CERN research director Sergio Bertolucci presented results on the travel time of neutrinos from CERN to the INFN Gran Sasso Laboratory, on behalf of four experiments — Borexino, Icarus, LVD and Opera.

All four experiments measured a neutrino time of flight that was below the speed of light, confirming that neutrinos respect Einstein’s cosmic speed limit. The previous anomaly was “attributed to a faulty element of the experiment’s fibreoptic timing system.”

“Although this result isn’t as exciting as some would have liked,” said Bertolucci, “it is what we all expected deep down.”

“The story captured the public imagination, and has given people the opportunity to see the scientific method in action — an unexpected result was put up for scrutiny, thoroughly investigated and resolved in part thanks to collaboration between normally competing experiments.”

In March 2012, Antonio Ereditato — spokesperson of the Opera experiment — resigned from his post. That was following revelations that the results could have been affected by an unaccounted-for error, and a follow-up test from Icarus that ran counter to Opera’s findings.

Dooglas T. Mightius - 1
Stoopid particle physicists - 0

Thanks for the update.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!

Link Copied to Clipboard