6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Oh, how the ghost of you clings...Nostalgia

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
And the fact that they look like each other if the other one wasn't wearing a pair of glasses.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Also, consider this: He's Superman. The greatest hero Earth has ever seen.

There are a total of 12 people at his birthday party. His 50th, at that. Talk about lonely? He's going to rape half that room in the next ten seconds. And only Flash will notice...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Batman never attends a surprise party unprepared. He is fully prepared to rape back.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Byrne drawing Superman while still at Marvel (Dec 1982)

...and revisiting in 1987.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Byrne drawing Superman while still at Marvel (Dec 1982)...

...and revisiting in 1987.

Byrne ripped off Dragonball!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

"Shooter Under Oath!", the poster-worthy wraparound cover of COMICS JOURNAL 115, that transcribed the court testimony from Michael Fleisher's lawsuit against the COMICS JOURNAL.

By Don Simpson, with a nice Silver-Age Marvel flavor. And the widest range of mainstream and underground/alternative and international characters I've ever seen in one drawing.

A larger view of the back cover:

Fleisher sued because of a Harlan Ellison interview in COMICS JOURNAL 53 (1980), where Ellison described Fleisher as "crazy as a bedbug", which was actually praising Fleisher's off-the-wall imagination of his ADVENTURE COMICS (Spectre) and JONAH HEX/WEIRD WESTERN stories. It turned out Fleisher was seeing a psychiatrist 3 times a week!

Fleisher alleged that the defamation had hurt Fleisher's writing career. Shooter testified on behalf of Fleisher, against the JOURNAL. But regardless, Fleisher lost his case, because it turned out his wages doubled during the 1980-1987 period of the defamation lawsuit!

I actually think Gerry Conway and Don Heck were the two most savaged in the interview, who should have been suing.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From EPIC ILLUSTRATED during Shooter's reign...

I highly recommend DREADSTAR:THE BEGINNING hardcover, reprinting Jim Starlin's very nice painted artwork from "Metamorphosis Odyssey" in EPIC ILLUSTRATED 1-9 (1980-1981), THE PRICE graphic novel from Eclipse (Oct 1981), and DREADSTAR graphic novel for Marvel (1982), along with a 24-page painted story in EPIC ILLUSTRATED 15 (Dec 1982), that served as a lead-in to the DREADSTAR comics series in 1982 (which was a return by Starlin to pen-and-ink comic art and abandonment of painted art).

About 225 pages, and exceptional story and art.

It gains a great deal in this collected hardcover format. My only complaint is it's 7" X 10", and I would have preferred it in slightly larger 8" X 11" size, as the original EPIC and Graphic Novel stories were.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Also, I'd never seen this before:

Apparently the magazine came with a comic supplement. And who the hell invited Lex Luthor to Superman's birthday? They're like "you can come, Luthor, but you have to stay in the kitchen".
Also, the smashed wall probably made the total cost of the surprise party skyrocket.
 Originally Posted By: iggy
"Honestly, Aquaman, I guess you're invite just got lost in the mail."

-Everybody
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Five seconds later the room collapsed from the structural damage Superman caused.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
What the fuck is he smiling for? It's like he already knew. Probably either a) saw the party through the wall with his X-ray vision or b) was told about it as Clark Kent. Either way, he's still a dick for breaking through the wall.
 Originally Posted By: allan1
Batman looks like he hopes noone noticed the nasty fart he just left.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Martian Manhunter also has a weird look on his face. Guess we know why Robin's eyes are so big.

\:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\: \:lol\:

Fucking. Gold.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In hindsight as much as I loved Byrnes Marvel work, he was the worst thing to happen to. Superman since kryptonite

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
In hindsight as much as I loved Byrnes Marvel work, he was the worst thing to happen to. Superman since kryptonite

Byrne's Superman work for DC is more pleasant if you think of it as an Elseworlds storyline.

And it didn't have much impact on Superman or DC after Byrne left.
Although I think what followed was far worse. Superman with a ponytail, and the whole pretentious "Death of Superman/Funeral For a Friend" wankery. I don't think Superman was ever less interesting.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I liked all the Superman titles up through the electric Supes stuff. After that it started going down hill just got worse wen Johns came on. I gave up the titles for a few years.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I'm more of a Swan/Anderson Superman reader myself. I especially liked the "Kryptonite no more" story (Superman "Sandman" series, beginning in SUPERMAN 233, by O'Neil/Swan/Anderson).

I also love Superman in the Kirby JIMMY OLSEN run (133-148), that with a lot of action and humor, played all the elements that make Superman exciting, both the science-fiction/time travel/interdimensional travel, as well as the more charming down-to-earth Superman/Clark Kent dynamic with all the characters at the Daily Planet. Kirby played both aspects well.

Kirby's FOREVER PEOPLE # 1 was especially effective in detailing Superman's dual identity.

Shooter's issues of SUPERBOY/LEGION with Mike Grell (issues 209-224, circa 1975-1977) were an interesting approach to Superman(Superboy). He left to edit for Marvel very abruptly, and left a storyline unresolved.

I was a huge Roger Stern fan on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 224-250, and DR STRANGE 46-73.

And I would have been into his Superman run as well, except that they took the 4 superman titles after Byrne left, and smashed them together as one incongruous weekly series with 4 creative teams, instead of (as it was before 1986) 4 separate titles with 4 separate and unique creative approaches.
I would have loved to see Stern's vision alone, without it being diluted as one monthly chapter of a 4-part never-ending storyline.

I've periodically bought issues of the Superman titles over the last 20 years, and despite some nice art, the stories have been consistently disappointing. The new crop of writers don't seem to have a grasp of what to do with Superman.

One of the most interesting versions of Superman I've seen was in 1982-1985 by Marv Wolfman and Gil Kane (starting in ACTION COMICS 539-541), 544-546, and 552-554, and in several more SUPERMAN SPECIAL issues 1 (1983) and 2 (1984) issues with story and art by Gil Kane, and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL 3 by Roy Thomas and Gil Kane). A very interesting and unconventional Superman rendition.

I wondered what was different about Kane's work in this period, but the difference is he was inking his own work. And looking at Kane's BLACKMARK from about 10 years prior, his work was not different, he was just showing his long-established magic when doing complete art himself, without an inker getting in the way!

Some of Gil Kane's other interesting series work in this early 80's era was SWORD OF THE ATOM, and 1981-1982 run in CONAN THE BARBARIAN 127-130, (and inked by others in 131-134) and a CONAN ANNUAL 6 (1981) in the same period. Although the CONAN writing on those issues by Bruce Jones was unspectacular.
Jones really broke out in that period with his 1981 KA-ZAR run, with Brent Anderson (issues 1-19), and the magic of Bruce Jones' run continued was if anything even better with Bret Blevins art (issues 20-26).

In the late 70's/early 80's Marvel was way outperforming DC under Shooter's reign. Then there was a steady exodus of people from Marvel who hated Shooter, like Roy Thomas, Gene Colan, Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Doug Moench, Gene Day, Gil Kane, that were revitalizing DC with Marvel-style storytelling. By 1987, DC was out-marvelling Marvel!
For a while, the magic was all over at (driven to) DC.
The Shooter giveth, the Shooter taketh away...

Although possibly much of that talent wasn't fleeing from Shooter, but fleeing to self-publishing at Pacific, Eclipse, and First, to competitive offers at DC (certainly the case in Frank Miller's defection to DC), and later to Image Comics and elsewhere, where they made a ton more money.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Money being the most powerful force in any comic universe.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Master of Slap-Fu. You don't want to see his devastating Windmill attack.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

A 3-part retrospective of Shooter's reign at Marvel, that clearly argues the "great BECAUSE of Shooter" POV, and deconstructs some of the negative stories aimed at Shooter.

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2013/01/jim-shooter-a-second-opinion-part-one-the-best-job-he-can/

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Isabella

Quote:
Isabella's work in comics fandom attracted the attention of Marvel editor Roy Thomas[2] (whose professional career began in similar fashion), and in 1972 Thomas hired Isabella as an editorial assistant at Marvel. With Marvel's establishment of Marvel UK that year, Isabella was assigned the task of overseeing the reprints used in Marvel UK's nascent comics line.[4] He also served for a time as an editor for Marvel's black-and-white magazine line.[5]

As a writer, Isabella scripted Ghost Rider; "It, the Living Colossus" in Astonishing Tales; Luke Cage in Hero for Hire and Power Man; Tigra in Marvel Chillers; Daredevil,[6] and Captain America.[7] While writing the "Iron Fist" feature in Marvel Premiere, he co-created the supporting character Misty Knight with artist Arvell Jones.[8] Isabella developed the concept of The Champions series[9] and wrote the first several issues.[10]

CONTROVERSY

During his mid-1970s run on Ghost Rider, Isabella wrote a two-year story arc in which Johnny Blaze occasionally encountered an unnamed character referred to as "the Friend" who helped Blaze stay protected from Satan, who had granted Blaze supernatural power and created the Ghost Rider. Isabella said in 2007,

• Getting prior approval from editor Roy Thomas, as I would from later editors Len Wein and Marv Wolfman, I introduced "The Friend" into the series. He looked sort of like a hippie Jesus Christ and that's exactly who He was, though I never actually called Him that.... It allowed me to address a disparity that had long bothered me about the Marvel Universe. Though we had no end of Hell(s) and Satan surrogates in our comics, we had nothing of Heaven.... [After two years] I'd written a story wherein, couched in mildly subtle terms, Blaze accepted Jesus as his savior and freed himself from Satan's power forever. Had I remained on Ghost Rider, which was my intent at the time, the title's religious elements would have faded into the background. Blaze would be a Christian, but he'd express this in the way he led his life. ... Unfortunately, an assistant editor took offense at my story. The issue was ready to go to the printer when he pulled it back and ripped it to pieces. He had some of the art redrawn and a lot of the copy rewritten to change the ending of a story two years in the making. "The Friend" was revealed to be, not Jesus, but a demon in disguise. To this day, I consider what he did to my story one of the three most arrogant and wrongheaded actions I've ever seen from an editor.[11]

Isabella later said the assistant editor referenced was Jim Shooter.[12][13]

Man, if that's just one of three incidents, I'd love to know the other two!

I don't know too many people who wouldn't need to be restrained from violently attacking someone after being wronged like that.

And this kind of treatment by editors seemed pretty common at Marvel in the 1970's period:
* I recently quoted one by Wrightson, at the hands of Roy Thomas.
* Another I can recall is Craig Russell, regarding a DOCTOR STRANGE ANNUAL he labored on for 4 years, where Marv Wolfman was the writer/editor assigned to script it, who arbitrarily butchered the final book without even telling Russell about it.
* Jim Starlin left Marvel in 1977 after a similar clash with Shooter.
Kirby in his 1976-1978 return to Marvel was widely mocked behind his back by editors, and as Kirby said in interviews, felt the editors selected overwhelmingly negative fan letters to run in his books to undermine him.
* When Dave Cockrum resigned from Marvel because of the backstabby atmosphere, some prankster ran his resignation letter as butler Jarvis' resignation letter to Tony Stark in an IRON MAN story.

Which pretty much explains the exodus of talent from Marvel to DC in the 1980-1985 period.

Although DC in those years had its share of similar incidents.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Isabella was/is an angry little shithead in real life.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I met Isabella and another writer R.A. Jones at San Diego Con years ago, and spent the better part of an hour talking to them. They were both very friendly and enthusiastic guys, I didn't get that vibe at all. They've both done work that I really enjoyed.

What did I miss about Isabella that indicates otherwise?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I did a little looking on my own:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2018/08/0...n-twitter-rant/

Quote:
The divide between comic book fans and creators grew wider this past weekend as another veteran comic creator declared their hardline stance against the ComicsGate movement.

• Tony Isabella, Creator of Black Lightning @thetonyisabella

To the #Comicsgater who said it was bad business for me to alienate my base, you should know my base has NEVER been racist, bigoted, misogynist, white supremacist, GOP-loving zombies. You must be confusing me with some other writer. And, also, I blocked you. Bye, Felicia.
    798 3:31 PM - Aug 4, 2018

In a series of tweets that began on Saturday and continued into Sunday, Tony Isabella, the Black Lightning creator who recently made his return to comics with Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands, went on a mini-rant detailing his adamant stance against the ComicsGate movement:

Lashing out with accusations, Isabella speaks directly to an unknown ‘ComicsGater’, though it is known via Twitter’s functionality that the accused cannot see tweets from an account that blocks them.

#Comicsgate's so-called "concerns" are a mask for their bigotry et al. My definition of diversity in comics is that our readers should be able to see themselves in our comics. For example, there have been many people of faith in my comics and I have treated them with respect.
    19 10:55 AM - Aug 5, 2018

Tony Isabella, Creator of Black Lightning @thetonyisabella

See...now your making absurd comments for absurdity sake. This is where so many online discussions, especially those generated by #Comicsgate and its allies go. When you make an absurd comment like "Mandarin Lightning," you've lost the argument and your credibility.
    8 12:06 PM - Aug 5, 2018

Isabella truly believes the tired narrative that ComicsGate is a movement of bigotry.

His disdain for anyone associated with the movement is made apparent when, in response to a fan attempting to engage in a dialogue to detail and discuss the real concerns of the ComicsGate movement, Isabella responds with dismissal and mockery, rather than responding to any of the fan’s points.
Dismissal rather than engagement, a growing trend in interactions between comic book fans and authors.

There is a moment where Isabella seems to feel vindicated in his hatred. He alleges that he received a veiled threat regarding his personal home address (published publicly on craigslist, with links provided by Isabella, in an effort to promote an upcoming garage sale). Harassment and physical violence are decried by the rational members of each side of this ongoing debate, and this alleged assault raised eyebrows across the board.

Wow. A #Comicsgater just made a veiled threat re: my listing my address in my garage sale notices. That's about the dumbest thing it could have done. My fun is just beginning.
    40 2:50 PM - Aug 5, 2018

Based on what a former Comicsgater told me, I am not asking the authorities to investigate Jack, though the agent I spoke to told me the tweet he made would have warranted that. There's a second threat out there that is being investigated.
    14 8:33 AM - Aug 6, 2018

Isabella never directly refers to a specific user or handle, referring to the alleged bully simply as “Jack.” This seems to refer to Twitter user @SJWsAreForKids, who lists his display name as “I am Jack’s Failed TURBO Signal…”. Upon investigation, the veiled threat that Isabella refers to appears to be:

• Retro History 𝙕 @Retro_History_z · Aug 5, 2018
    Replying to @thetonyisabella

I'm a #comicsgate supporter. I have no issue with you...but...
    Knowing that there are crazy people all over....if your garage sale is over I would plead with you to delete your garage sale tweets. No one paid attention to them, but you doxxed yourself.
    1/2

Retro History 𝙕 @Retro_History_z

And since you want to talk shit online to draw attention to yourself, that's probably not the best thing to do. Just food for thought.
    2/2

However, at no point is mention of a direct threat made. Twitter user @SJWsAreForKids simply reaches out to Isabella to point out that Isabella has in fact ‘doxxed’ himself.

A self-admitted ComicsGate supporter, @SJWsAreForKids was not making a threat, but wished to help prevent Isabella, whom @SJWsAreForKids admits he has no current grievances concerning, from receiving harassment from the more unhinged and radical members of comicsgate (which is odd, as it seems to be taken from the playbook of the opponents rather than comicsgate supporters, as seen in the recent assault of Jeremy Hambly at GenCon) by advising that he may want to remove the posting from his associated Twitter page.

Other Twitter users began to respond to Isabella, pointing out that @SJWsAreForKids was reaching out in good faith. Isabella responded to these civil responses by doubling down on his belief that he was being directly threatened when, despite all evidence to the contrary, and responding with a combination of blocks and posturing.

• Talk, Regard, Observe, Love, Live Society @reinoe· Aug 5, 2018

He was warning you to take down your private information and then you took it as a threat. What should he have said to you?

If he was honestly concerned, he could have contacted me privately. He didn't. That speaks volumes to me.
    3 4:31 PM - Aug 5, 2018

Erik @StealthFatality · Aug 5, 2018

I actually saw the tweet in question. I think the guy was just trying to help you out. You shouldn’t post your address online ever in this day and age. It’s not safe.

Like Steve Ditko, my address has always been in the phone book and, yes, hard as this is to believe, they still make phone books and they are excellent door stops. Unlike Mr. Ditko, I am not a recluse. I am a respected member of my community. Anyone who threatens me...

Replying to @MadVillain420

You know, unless your parents actually named you "The Watcher" and you have the birth certificate to prove it, I'm not inclined to take your word that "Jack is a good guy" in this. If "Jack" is who I was posting about.
    1 4:30 PM - Aug 5, 2018

Okay, that definitely qualifies...

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://www.cbr.com/most-epic-comic-book-creator-feuds/

Quote:
10. TONY ISABELLA VS. DC

Debuting in his own series in 1977, Black Lightning was one of DC's first major African-American superheroes. Tony Isabella came up with the concept for the character, writing the first 10 issues of the series, while Trevor Von Eeden was brought on board to contribute to character design and draw the series. After the cancellation of Black Lightning's first series, in 1978, Isabella sought to buy out DC's interest in the character, only to find that DC declared Von Eeden as the co-creator. This contrasted with Isabella's belief that the character was introduced under a partnership between him and DC instead of through work for hire.

Over the next few decades, Isabella was very vocal about DC's approach and their poor treatment of him and the Black Lightning character. Finally, in 2017, Isabella and DC resolved the dispute, the official credit line now stating: "Black Lightning created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden."

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Ah. I never remembered Jerry Ordway doing much work for MARVEL. But, then again, I smoke pot. shrug

Does anyone know the true story of why Byrne left SUPERMAN? His runs never seem to end "properly". Except, I guess, his X-Men run. But, he quit West Coast Avengers almost immediately (still don't know why) and for rebooting the most important comic book character ever, he only stayed...what...two years?

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=3&T1=Questions+about+Aborted+Storylines#64

Originally Posted by JOHN BYRNE
DC hired me to revamp Superman, and then immediately chickened out. They backed off at the first whiff of fan disapproval, which came months before anyone had actually seen the work. During the whole two years I was on the project, although nothing happened that was not approved by DC editorial, there was no conscious support. They even continued to license the "previous" Superman. At one point, Dick Giordano said "You have to realize there are now two Supermen -- the one you do and the one we license." Seemed counter-productive, to say the least, since far more people saw the licensed material. After two years of this nonsense, I was just worn down. The fun was gone. (from http://www.comicbookresources.com/features/byrne/)

Just happened to run across it in my internet travels.

Byrne did the MAN OF STEEL miniseries 1-6, then SUPERMAN 1-22 story and art. (issue 18 was Byrne story, Mignola art. Issue 23, the issue after Byrne left, was Roger Stern story, Mignola art). After that Stern wrote the series for a year or so.
Byrne also provided story or art on many other Superman series and miniseries, especially notewrthy on ACTION COMICS 584-600, and LEGENDS miniseries 1-6. I wasn't in love with everything Byrne did on Superman, but I'll say this, he did come up with a wide range of original ideas, however well (or not) they were carried out. And it was an extremely prolific two years of new series and concepts from Byrne on Superman.

Earlier in the topic I said that Byrne's run on Superman works better if you think of it as an "Elseworlds" storyline. From Byrne's own answer, it turns out that's how DC's management saw his run, for the entire duration that it was conceived and published. . For all the heralded pretense of changing and "re-booting" Superman, it turns out that for DC management, they had a complete loyalty to the licensed version of Superman that preceded Byrne's run, and they never had any plans to make Byrne's version have any meaningful permanence. I still think it was a worthy effort on Byrne's part, regardless of DC not believing in it. But I felt after roughly 2 years, it has run its course. And while I liked some of it, I felt Byrne's work on X-MEN, AVENGERS, CAPTAIN AMERICA, and especially his one-man show on FANTASTIC FOUR were all miles above his SUPERMAN run.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I quite liked his Superman run. It seemed fresh:

* Superman was depicted as capable of being in genuine danger. Metallo would have killed him in the very first issue but for the intervention of Lex Luthor. Bloodsport would have shot Superman in the back of the neck with a sliver of kryptonite but for lucky intervention by Bloodsport's brother. Superman was capable of being beaten up. It was in stark contrast to the omnipotence of the character pre-Byrne.
* Clark Kent wasn't a dork: he was a big ex-football player from the mid-West who attracted women like Cat Grant.
* Cat Grant herself was a new character who was sort of a foil to Lois Lane.
* Lex Luthor's motivation to hate Superman wasn't the loss of his hair in his teens. It was driven by hubris - Superman embarrassed him by causing to be arrested and fingerprinted like some common crook. It was realistic.
* There wasn't kryptonite lurking behind every fire hydrant. There was only one shard, and Luthor had it.

Byrne's run on X-Men was actually mostly Claremont's run with some creative input from Byrne (the two ended up hating each other). I never read Byrne's Cap or Avengers other than that weird story where Scarlet Witch's kids become fiery devil hands. But yes, Byrne's FF was excellent. There was a sense of adventure which had been missing from the title for a long time.

As to the re-boot, there was a ceremony where "the Superman pen" was formally handed from I think Julius Schwartz or Curt Swan to Byrne. Maybe I read too much into that at the time, but it seemed like a real changing of the guard. Byrne is a little wrong on his analysis: many of the concepts he introduced into the Superman comic book were perpetuated: Superman was trounced by the Fearsome Five, for example, and Superman's execution of the pocket universe Kryptonians had very long-lasting repercussions including mental illness and going into exile in space (Dan Jurgens i think ran with this).

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh and I see you've started looking at the Comicsgate shitshow. I had thought it had died off, but some recent Twitter activity suggests otherwise.

If nothing else, it has made Ethan van Scriver a fucking truckload of money. His comic Cyberfrog is pretty much funded by Comicsgate supporters. Cyberfrog is a TMNT rip-off with lovely art and a mediocre story about a cybernetic frog and a salamander flighting an alien wasp invasion, delivered a year late. But Van Scriver so effectively harnessed the Comicsgate community that he apparently raised about $1m by way of crowdfunding.

I'm pretty cynical about what that means - an average book raises an enormous amount of money from the creator's ideological followers, who refer to him using the words "Hail Caesar!".

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
There was some weird stuff in that wiki-index of Byrne's Superman titles, but at least it gives an overview and index of the issues he did.

I like Van Sciver's art (I think he's a Mormon from Utah), but I'm a bit repelled by him as a cog completely embedded in the DC machine, similar to people like Dan Jurgens or Geoff Johns or Dan Didio, where their stories are basically fan fiction that is completely derivative of work by people who preceded them, where they're just milking what others have done better, and all they offer is a re-tread of stories done better by others.

I like Van Sciver's art, but I'm hard pressed to recall a story accompanying Van Sciver's art that was actually worth reading. That's my complaint with most of the industry over the last 25 years or so, not just Van Sciver or DC. The characters now are corporate assets, and there's vvery little change or innovation permitted with these now-very-valuable and established characters. And they re-boot the continuity every few years with some new marketing campaign, with very little concern at this point to preserving the long-time continuity and history of the characters for longtime readers.

On the Byrne-Superman front and passing the pen, I haven't heard of that before, I like the concept of a reverent passing of the creative torch. There's a Moore/Swan SUPERMAN: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? trade (1997), that has an introduction with photos of Julius Schwartz with Jerry Siegel, John Byrne with Curt Swan, and a third with Curt Swan, Kurt Schaffenberger, Julius Schwartz and Murphy Anderson together, that for me was as worth purchasing for these as for the story itself!

My point either with mentioning Byrne, or mentioning other creators' troubles with Shooter, is for whatever fun and creative aspects of comics, it's still a business, and whether making tough intellectual property-related decisions, or just having someone in charge who has an ego or doesn't play well with others, it can also be argued that they did what was best to protect their business interests and preserve the company and the jobs of everyone with what they did.
And obviously, others will hotly disagree.

And that Shooter is far from alone in having bad-blood accounts of his being difficult to work with. Even the likes of Bob Kane, Stan Lee, Jack Liebowitz, Joe Simon, Jack Kirby, Mort Weisinger, Julius Schwartz, Murray Boltinoff, Steve Ditko, Roy Thomas, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway and many other stars in the firmament have been both the ones who complained of being mistreated, and had others complain they were they were the ones who wronged others.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Jim Shooter: From Comics Superstar to Outcast

It's amazing how many times Shooter has been fired as head of a company, or how many times a company he has led went bankrupt. And each time he comes roaring back with new investors, another company, or another line of comics and characters. He must be a remarkably confident guy, to have endured those kind of failures, and be able to so quickly re-group and come back with a different set of ideas to market. And certainly has had many remarkable successes as well. Sometimes replaced despite his success (Et tu, Bob Layton?)

I missed the symbolism at the time of blowing up Philadelphia (Shooter's hometown) in STARBRAND (scripted by Byrne).
And Byrne's outdoor cookout with Marvel staffers where they burned a life-size Jim Shooter in effigy, just prior to his being fired as editor in chief at Marvel.
Wild stuff.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I admire his talent and hard work ethic but can see the other side of the story. From what I understand he wasn’t treated with kid gloves when he was working at DC when he was 14. I remember a Legion story where Matter-Eater Lad’s parents lived off of Tenzil’s monthly stipend and always wondered how much Shooter was drawing off his own home life. Sort of surprised that John Byrne had a barbecue where they burnt a Jim Shooter effigy. I always had the impression that he was very much a company man during that time period. I like Roy Thomas’s take on Shooter’s time in charge. When Shooter did the Legion the last time there was still apparently lots of bad blood out there but he was still telling great stories. Would love to see him on the title again.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Jim Shooter was editor in chief at Marvel from Jan 1978 till he was fired in Feb 1987. Byrne definitely was a company man as you accurately describe in his 1975-1985 Marvel years, and probably would have been forever in other circumstances. In particular I recall an editorial Byrne wrote in FANTASTIC FOUR CHRONICLES (from Fantaco in 1982) where Byrne was very happy at Marvel, and said he felt like Marvel (or any comics publisher) was entitled to a larger share of the profits, because Marvel takes on the greater risk of publishing a title, and if it sells or doesn't sell, he as a writer/artist gets paid regardless, and if it doesn't sell the publisher takes a loss.

The problem began in that, while he loved being at Marvel, Byrne wanted to do a Superman run, while maintaining a friendly relationship with Marvel during his absence. Even after announcing he was leaving to do Superman, Byrne planned to draw FF through issue 300 regardless, and gave very far ahead notice, to leave amiably and presumably return to Marvel after. But then his editor at Marvel kept making nit-picky revisions to harass him, which had never been requested before, so Byrne saw what was happening, took the hint and abruptly quit, with issue 292 or 293.
And Byrne also abruptly stopped his writer-artist runs on INCREDIBLE HULK, and on the "Last Galactus story" in EPIC ILLUSTRATED 26-31 or so.

A similar jerking around happened with the George Perez-illustrated JLA/AVENGERS planned crossover special, that was delayed and delayed, and finally scrapped in 1983-1984, that Dick Giordano wrote about with anger in his monthly DC editorial, in 2 parts over 2 months, concluding with "apparently someone or several somebodies at Marvel don't want the project to be published."

So yeah, there was definitely some bad blood between Byrne and Shooter, and it followed a pattern. And I guess when Byrne was frustrated with DC over his Superman work, and Shooter was no longer editor in chief at Marvel, Byrne was willing to come back to Marvel under new management. And incredibly, took over Shooter's personal signature book STAR BRAND, and injected some brutal metaphoric stuff to Shooter's downfall within the story.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I just ran across this lengthy overview of Shooter's 1978-1987 tenure as Marvel's editor in chief, that cites numerous sources and legal facts about Shooter and his interactions with others at Marvel during that era.

http://rsmwriter.blogspot.com/2016/06/jim-shooter-second-opinion.html

Interesting that in the struggle for Kirby to reclaim his original art, Shooter is blamed by others, but Shooter is cited by the legal facts to have no interaction or jurisdiction over the return of Kirby's art, that it was legally done work-for-hire in the 1960's, and that was the realm of publisher Michael Hobson and Marvel's attorneys. That Shooter had little if any say or involvement in the matter.

I don't know if there is any legal difference regardingKirby's 1959-1970 Marvel work, as compared to Kirby's later 1975-1978 work on his return to Marvel, on CAPTAIN AMERICA 193-216, ETERNALS 1-19, 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY movie adaptation treasury edition, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 1-10 series, MACHINE MAN 1-9, DEVIL DINOSAUR 1-9, and BLACK PANTHER series 1-12. As cited in the article and comments below, Kirby left in 1978, and probably already announced his planned departure and was on his way out the door in the opening months Shooter took over as editor in chief. So not only was Kirby barely a blip on the radar while Shooter was in charge, but the law governing Kirby's past original artwork was outside Shooter's jurisdiction.

It's remarkable in the comments section how people lash back at his article with absolute certainty, allegedly sourced, and then the writer of the piece comes back at them and corrects with actual cited sources to detail what the true known facts are.
Interesting that Kirby never sued Marvel while he was alive, to try and claim his unreturned original art. Kirby only threatened to, but threatened for many years, to the point that even Shooter believed there was a longstanding lawsuit. But without a lawsuit, only the threat of one against Marvel, they handled all correspondence with Kirby through Marvel's attorneys, as a precaution, for a suit that never came. It was only after Kirby died that his family actually sued. And only after sued that Marvel counter-sued.

Also interesting how early into his reign that Shooter began measures to bring greater pay and creative rights to Marvel staffers. The negotiations for expanded creator ownership and "european-style" formats that became the Marvel Graphic Novel line (launched in 1981) began pushing for in 1978, months after Shooter became editor in chief.

Also that Hobson had warned Shooter in 1978 that Marvel's sales up till then were low enough that the entire comics line was in danger of being cancelled. And that Shooter's measures as editor in chief generated such a dramatic rise in sales that the threat of ceasing publication was eliminated.
That in addition Marvel expanded into other forms of publishing.

I know that some of the biggest critics of Shooter (not named in the article or comments) were Roy Thomas and Marv Wolfman, both of whom were writer/editors with their own little kingdoms within the Marvel line till Shooter took over (Roy Thomas was writer/editor of the CONAN line, Marv Wolfman was writer/editor of TOMB OF DRACULA and a DRACULA magazine, beyond their other series writing assignments) . They both left Marvel in a huff and defected to DC, rather than remain at Marvel with reduced stature. But Shooter did what he did because of low sales, and to bring more uniformity to the Marvel line. There were also a lot of missed deadlines and fill-in issues before Shooter took over as managing editor. These are two "critics of Shooter" not named.

Doug Moench, who was named in this article as a vocal Shooter critic, had a similar established status at Marvel over many titles, such as MASTER OF KUNG FU, DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU magazine, THE HULK magazine, and the MOON KNIGHT comic that spun off from originally being a backup in HULK magazine. Moench quit Marvel in 1982 (described as "in a tantrum" in the article) and went to DC. Shooter wanted to re-vamp all these Moench-scripted titles, and despite that I loved all these titles, it can't be denied that they were declining in sales. HULK magazine was cancelled in 1981, MOON KNIGHT was in danger of cancellation in 1981 but thrown a lifeline by becoming an experimental direct-only title (along with MICRONAUTS and KA-ZAR) and MASTER OF KUNG FU was also low in sales, and was finally cancelled just 5 issues after Moench quit the series.

This linked article makes a strong case for Shooter actually acting in the interest of those who were employed by him at Marvel, and whose editorial decisions actually saved their jobs, and Marvel itself.
It's stated that "if Marvel went out of business, DC likely would have followed." And there is certainly a strong case for that, regarding the "DC Implosion" that simultaneously happened in Oct 1978, within months of Shooter's promotion to head Marvel, and Hobson warning Shooter that the entire Marvel line was in jeopardy of being discontinued. Where a third of DC's titles were cancelled overnight by Warner Communications. Post-implosion in 1978-1979, freelancers with no available work at DC fled to an expanding Marvel under Shooter (including future editor Al Milgrom, Bob Layton, Jerry Bingham, Michael Golden, Bob Mcleod, Bob Wiacek, Dave Michelinie, and many others who became visible talents at Marvel ) where they took over Marvel titles and became the defining creators on series for years, whereas they had previously struggled to find random assignments at DC. They benefitted from the changes Shooter brought to Marvel.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard