Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Batman has never used high-tech devices ever.

The visual nuance seems to differ from device to device. I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car. Having that as the climactic highlight of the preview makes a pretty big Marvel impression.

Quote:
And make up your mind. Is Hathaway the 50's Catwoman or a Black Widow clone?

Her clone aspect would be her role as the tag-along fem fatale. Emulating the Julie Newmar look is just insult to injury.

Just ask yourself for a moment: did Black Widow substantively add anything to Iron Man or Avengers beyond the role itself? And do you really think Catwoman is set up to accomplish anything more than that?

I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first? Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept. Again, though, you haven't seen the movie and are already judging every inch of it. Nolan's done a good job so far, despite what you personally think. I'm willing to see how he ends it. His use of Two-Face was different than what people thought it would be. I'm sure Catwoman will be the same.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
*Bat plane*

Honestly not trying to mince meanings here, but that's a plane. Not a hi-tech ground and air vehicle. If she had hopped into his plane, he wouldn't have had to say, "This isn't a car," with so much stylistic flare before the camera angles glorified its takeoff.

Originally Posted By: thedocter
I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first?

Don't need to. All I have to do is see the preview with her futilely loading her Glock while that flying whatever-it-is heads in their direction.

Oh yes. She's going to be such a big help in that situation. I'm sure the writers came up with some angle to make her seem useful, but it doesn't really speak to the usefulness of her character if they have to scale down the difficulty of the scenario for the sake of making her look relevant.

Quote:
Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept.

Fair enough. But how does that serve the Iron Man film?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Which doesn't mean I think it looks like an Iron Man movie, BTW.

Not necessarily saying the movie itself is going to emulate Iron Man. But the way this film is marketed is rather similar to how Iron Man is perceived as a franchise with such common tropes.

I have a feeling that Catwoman wouldn't even be in this film if it weren't for such inclusions as Black Widow. And even if she were, her casting and character would probably be phenomenally different from a thirteen year old quipster on growth hormones.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
*Bat plane*

Honestly not trying to mince meanings here, but that's a plane. Not a hi-tech ground and air vehicle. If she had hopped into his plane, he wouldn't have had to say, "This isn't a car," with so much stylistic flare before the camera angles glorified its takeoff.

When was there a flying car in Iron Man? Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

Originally Posted By: thedocter
I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first?

Don't need to.

That's pretty much the only point you ever want to make.

Quote:
Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept.

Fair enough. But how does that serve the Iron Man film?

It didn't. But Nolan's not building a full comic/movie universe like Marvel is.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

Paraih probably isn't familiar with that line having never seen the movies he's bashing

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I heard Henry Cavill is going to appear in the ending credits.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
to ask batman to join the avengers

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He's probably there to tell Batman to stop using high tech cars and jets, since Iron Man is the only guy to use those.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
When was there a flying car in Iron Man?

"...flying assault vehicle..."

Quote:
Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

"...I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car..."

Nice attempt at a redirect though.

That's pretty much the only point you ever want to make.

So that sequence where she was loading the clip right before the arrival of the flying metal serpent was implying that she was going to take it down with a couple hollow points?

What exactly is the point of a preview in your mind? Because apparently it's always meaningless regardless of its content--and yet you'll still get excited over it.

Quote:

And yet, keeping that motive for a larger universe in mind, Black Widow was stilled used as a selling feature for Iron Man.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
When was there a flying car in Iron Man?

"...flying assault vehicle..."

Quote:
Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

"...I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car..."

Nice attempt at a redirect though.

Is it a flying car or 'flying assault vehicle'?

You're attempting to redirect to cover up for the fact that you're twisting the context of what you're seeing to make you seem justified in disliking a franchise that pretty much everyone else fucking loves. You keep making it seem like WB is copying Iron Man for their marketing push. Why? Why would they want to copy a series of films that, together, barely made more than The Dark Knight did alone?

"We made over half a billion dollars on The Dark Knight. How much did Iron Man make?"
"About $320 mil."
"And Iron Man 2?"
"About $310 mil."
"You know what we need to do to make money on the next Batman film?"
"Copy the less successful Iron Man franchise?"
"Damn right!"

So that sequence where she was loading the clip right before the arrival of the flying metal serpent was implying that she was going to take it down with a couple hollow points?

Probably more effectively than Hawkeye with a couple of arrows. Seriously, that's as silly as her with the gun. How are people missing that?

What exactly is the point of a preview in your mind? Because apparently it's always meaningless regardless of its content--and yet you'll still get excited over it.

It's not meaningless. It's just not a complete picture. They're going to spend more time on the splodey stuff than characters. Can't really make solid declarations regarding how well the character works in that short amount of time. I still like seeing the splodey stuff.

Quote:

And yet, keeping that motive for a larger universe in mind, Black Widow was stilled used as a selling feature for Iron Man.

Here's a little secret for you, Pariah: most men like seeing hot chicks bouncing around in tight clothes. We also prefer our women without cocks. I can see how you are unable to integrate into the greater society.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Is it a flying car or 'flying assault vehicle'?

Use your best judgment as to what you think I mean and you'll probably be right.

Suffice it to say, military exposure has confined my general understanding of the phrase "assault vehicle" to ground units.

Quote:
You're attempting to redirect to cover up for the fact that you're twisting the context of what you're seeing to make you seem justified in disliking a franchise that pretty much everyone else fucking loves.

You think I choose to hate certain movies because everyone else likes them? How does that explain the Iron Man films?

Quote:
You keep making it seem like WB is copying Iron Man for their marketing push. Why? Why would they want to copy a series of films that, together, barely made more than The Dark Knight did alone?

Honestly, two reasons:

1) There's always room for improvement of sales.

2) That's the way the wind is sailing with comic franchises. Warner Bros. is evolving its own marketing according to the success of Marvel's so it can keep up and stay ahead. To be frank, this preview strikes me as a departure from the original approaches. Aside from the tech, there's the action and team elements that weren't so apparent in the previous films' previews.

Quote:
Probably more effectively than Hawkeye with a couple of arrows. Seriously, that's as silly as her with the gun. How are people missing that?

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. They're both useless. She was just the topic of the moment.

Quote:
Can't really make solid declarations regarding how well the character works in that short amount of time.

"Works" the way Black Widow does in Iron Man? I'm not going to necessarily deny the claim that Black Widow "worked" insofar as she didn't hurt the film or distract from its point. I'm sure the same is going to be the case with Avengers. But as it is, she's completely ancillary; the film would execute fine regardless of her implementation.

The presence of Catwoman's character is similar in that it suggests fulfillment of a commercial role that, above all else, only holds a relevance to certain demographics. That doesn't seem to mesh with the idea that she's a cohesive element that's indispensable to the story/character rather than a modular aspect that you can add or detach from the film according to a gauged desire for a lightening/sassy female presence.

Quote:
Here's a little secret for you, Pariah: most men like seeing hot chicks bouncing around in tight clothes. We also prefer our women without cocks. I can see how you are unable to integrate into the greater society.

Buuut...You don't disagree that it adds nothing substantive to the film, yes? These qualities describe just another form of marketing that's more integrated with the film.

...And nowadays, I'm sure comic fans would be okay with her having a penis.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Double Post.

Last edited by Pariah; 2012-05-08 5:35 AM.
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
So we're looking at a Knightfall meets No Man's Land meets Dark Knight Returns.

I'm still stoked!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-Nutreturns
So we're looking at a Knightfall meets No Man's Land meets Dark Knight Returns.

with a penis!

Originally Posted By: K-Nutreturns

I'm still stoked!

me too!

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
x3

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Rises Takes A Light Tone
 Quote:
HOLLYWOOD, CA—Stating that "the time has come for a tonal shift" in the blockbuster series, director Christopher Nolan announced Thursday that the forthcoming Batman film The Dark Knight Rises would take a lighter, more humorous tone than its predecessors, and would be filled with "slapstick, primary colors, and just plain old fun."

"I was somewhat happy with the first two films—probing the psychological landscape of Gotham from an adult perspective is sort of neat, if you like that kind of thing," Nolan told reporters at a promotional event. "But then I realized, 'Hey, what am I doing? Batman is a superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be fun and for kids.' So this time around, I wanted to make something nice and light and simple, because people aren't looking for a civics lesson with Batman. They just want some pleasant, mindless diversion."

"After all, we're talking about a comic-book movie here," Nolan added. "Let's lighten things up a bit, shall we?"

According to Nolan, in early script meetings for the sequel, proposed plot threads tended to focus on familiar themes of the pained inner life of Bruce Wayne/Batman, his complicated relationship with Gotham law enforcement, the depraved nihilism of the city's criminal element, and the crushing weight of his traumatic memory of his parents' murder.

However, Nolan said, he soon grew weary of the treatment's often somber and starkly realistic tone, and opted instead to focus on the fact that Batman comes from an "enjoyable little picture book" and should therefore not be approached with such grave solemnity.

"It hit me all of a sudden that comic books are really just silly and frivolous things, and that the people who read them are primarily children or fun-loving adults who are looking for a cheery, good old-fashioned romp," Nolan said. "I mean, it's Batman, for God's sake, not Richard III. We should just go goofy with it. And so we did."

The film's screenplay, co-written with veteran film and television writer Lorenzo Semple Jr., reportedly concerns a coalition of villains who form a "Batman Revenge Society." The groups aims to murder Batman (Christian Bale) with, at various times, a plummeting steel safe, jets of cyanide gas concealed in a stuffed moose head, a trapdoor over a shark tank, a beautifully wrapped but ticking gift box, a gorilla trained to go berserk when it sees Batman, a sexy but ungrounded female robot, and a Rube Goldberg–style contraption that, roughly 90 seconds after activation, propels a whirling buzz saw blade into the midsection of whoever is standing on a painted bull's-eye target.

"I feel like I really went back to Batman's roots and discovered the character's true essence," Nolan said. "And that essence turned out to be in the Batman comics from 1940 through 1970, the 1960s Adam West series, the 1970s Super Friends episodes, the actually quite enjoyable films of Joel Schumacher, and Batman's cameo appearances on Scooby-Doo. These were my creative touchstones as I completed my trilogy."

Nolan promised the new film would whisk children of all ages into the fun four-color world of Gotham City, and delight them with whimsical surprises, including an extended car chase through a paint factory, zoo, and outdoor wedding; a new Batmobile whose onboard computer is programmed with a childlike personality able to honk its horn to signal approval or retreat into an alley when scared; and a humorous subplot concerning the inability of Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) to get a Murphy bed to stay down.

The director also said Rises would be the "most merchandisable" Batman film in years, and he promised a vast array of licensed tie-ins, from infant onesies and light-up children's shoes to an expansion module for the Lego Batman video game and a special Dark Knight Rises edition of Monopoly featuring all the zany locations and characters from the film.

"Best of all, there will be absolutely none of the confusing moral ambiguity that dragged down The Dark Knight," Nolan said. "People don't want all that pompous 'Who's the real monster, Batman or the criminals he pursues?' junk. They want to see the Joker get a big sockeroo on the chin and get tangled up in a net. That's classic funny-book entertainment."

"Needless to say, no one could ever replace Heath Ledger as the Joker," Nolan added, "but I have to say that Rob Schneider stepped up like a pro. He's just naturally funny and a real cutup, which is what you want in the Joker."

Nolan confirmed he is open to continuing the franchise indefinitely on an accelerated pace of up to one feature per year, "as long as people keep going to see them," and he has asked fans to participate in a DC Comics online poll to select the next film's villains.

"As long as I get to give the movie-going public the whiz-bang action and goofy comedy they crave, I'm artistically satisfied," he added.

Opening July 20, The Dark Knight Rises stars Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and the yet-to-be-announced winner of the Nickelodeon/Capri Sun "I Wanna Co-star with Batman" Sweepstakes as either Robin or Batgirl.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
After this film, WB/DC will probably hire a director who actually does all that on the theory that the Avengers had humor.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
BRILLIANT MOVE NOLAN!! LOL I M sooo xcitid! :-P

-Sincerely, Joel Schumacher

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'd watch the shit out of a The Bat-Man movie by the guy who did Scott Pilgrim.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I'd watch the shit out of a The Bat-Man movie by the guy who did Scott Pilgrim.

Give it a surf rock soundtrack and I'd be so there.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Thanks for sharing, Lothar.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns
Infidel!

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
got tickets to the 11:59 showing at the theater behind where I work. gonna make my brother get in line and hold down the fort until I clock off at 10, this is gonna be awesome.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
rawk!

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
my buddy managed to get midnight Imax for us. I don't know who he had to kill but I'm thankful.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
my buddy managed to get midnight Imax for us. I don't know who he had to kill but I'm thankful.

A philanthropist doctor and his wife in a dark alley somewhere, their kid was spared but he will remember the fateful day for the rest of his life.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
lol!

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
awesome

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy

A philanthropist doctor and his wife in a dark alley somewhere, their kid was spared but he will remember the fateful day for the rest of his life.

worth it.

\:lol\:

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
At Least 12 Dead In Shooting At Colorado 'Batman' Showing: Police say they have a suspect in custody, reportedly identified as 24-year-old James Holmes, who witnesses say was armed with a rifle and handguns, and who wore what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest and gas mask.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I wonder if the theater gave out refunds.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm also pretty sure that this is the reason why no one would go to the movies with rex.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Great. Now they'll will start banning AR-15 assault rifles from movie theaters.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
The movie was awesome. The tragedy was sad

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard