Next Thread
Print Thread
#1174824 2012-02-17 6:08 PM
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Unbreakable
3000+ posts

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I first heard about this push for independence in Pat Buchanan's book State of Emergency, citing the increasing prevalence of separatism throughout the world: Quebec from Canada, provinces threatening to separate from Brazil, Czech Republic's split from Slovakia, provinces of the former Yugoslavia, the continued fragmentation of the former Soviet republics, and increased bloody wars and tribalism worldwide.

In Scotland, the desire for a split is attributed to the British loss of empire. When Britain was Great, Scotland had more desire to be a part of it. With the loss of prestige and empire, old differences and hostilities have risen, and a greater desire to go their separate way.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
It was Slovakia who split from Czechia, actually. While Slovaks and Czechs see each other as brothers due to similar cultures, languages, and historical backgrounds, Slovaks got tired during the post-war years of communism over how Czechs dominated Slovaks in various ways. Not just economically and politically, but also culturally. If a Slovak got famous abroad, for example for being an excellent ice hockey player, Western media would report about him being a Czech.

When communism fell, Slovaks saw the chance of independence. Luckily for all parts, this got solved peacefully (unlike Yugoslavia).

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!

Link Copied to Clipboard