Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
'There Are Four Lights' is our first single.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Captain Kirk is the coolest white man on the planet. 'nuff said.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
Fuck you, Rick Berman.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

DS9 was very good at the end but still suffered from some of the cliches that TNG invented.

Sisko leaving his baseball, was fucking awesome!

I wonder if that was Ronald Moore. He went to DS9 when TNG ended.

That was most DEFINITELY Ron Moore. He co-created DS9. That entire cynical/dark layer was his adding. BSG is the obvious expression of this...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

\:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: allan1

Shatner or Pine?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I think Enterprise was a good mix of that heart and TNG group effort. Archer was a true explorer always hopeful and optimistic, though he did stumble a bit due to the Xindi. Trip was the common man, and I enjoyed his cynical view of events in contrast with Archer's optimism. It was the first time since the Spock-Kirk-McCoy era that I felt that the captain had true friends and not just a devoted crew.

Agreed. It was that same crawling-into-the-light phase we see glimpses of in Kirk's era. By Picard's time, interstellar travel is like running to pick up some cigs from the store. Easy. But, TOS and ENT, everything is "new". Everything is difficult. Hell, they were still using human translators, and had no standard security operating procedure ("Reed Alert" ;\) ). It was a joy to see how they overcame the natural obstacles to exploration and making contact with other species. By Kirk's era, it's a joy to watch them push out past "the galactic barrier" and into the unknown. By TNG, the 1701-D is making diplomatic runs, instead of actually exploring very much. Which Picard points out in that awful movie INSURRECTION, "Does anyone remember when we were explorers?"

That's what I really think Trek needs to be about. New. Doesn't have to be new PLANETS or races or whatever. But, new takes. New concepts. To Boldly Explore All Facets of the Show That We've Never Explored Before.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

Shatner or Pine?

Which planet?

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Here's more Trek questions.

Why is a Frenchman such a Victorian Englishman?

Why is Frère Jacques the only song he knows?

Those Frenchies are and evil, sly lot.

To me. The highlight of TNG/Picard wasn't the Borg stuff. It was that episode where he was tortured by the Cardassians. That shit was epic. Probably the best TNG episode ever.

four lights, motherfucker.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
'There Are Four Lights' is our first single.

fuck. I missed that post.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
My hypothesis is that The Federation has two currencies:

1) One for "domestic" use, based on a Social Credit system (or something like that), which would explain post-scarcity while there is still a free market.

2) The other is for trading with other Empires/alliances/federations/etc, a hard currency similar to gold or silver standard, but instead based on a metal valuable in the world of Star Trek.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts

Shatner or Pine?

Both. I like Chris Pine as a young Kirk. He does a fine job with a Shatner-esque approach to the role and I think he'll continue to do a good job. Shatner of course is the man!!

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Was talking with friends about this last night. I was reminded that they did have Federation credits and offered to buy stuff with them. This led me to check the Trek wiki Memory Alpha, and I found some very interesting facts.

Quote:
Ronald D. Moore commented: "By the time I joined TNG, Gene had decreed that money most emphatically did NOT exist in the Federation, nor did 'credits' and that was that. Personally, I've always felt this was a bunch of hooey, but it was one of the rules and that's that." (AOL chat, 1997)

Which leads me to repeat:

Still, sometime in the mid seventies, Roddenberry lost his goddamn mind and started to push the whole socialaist utopia and 'Starfleet isn't a military organization' bullshit that most of the writers had to include but didn't really like. I think they just paid lip service to it but pretty much ignored it on the whole. And if we're going with the reboot, that motherfucker had Nokia phones and Budweiser beer.

Also:

• James T. Kirk stated that the Federation Starfleet had a lot invested in both him and Commander Spock. In fact, Starfleet had 122,200 plus credits invested in Spock by the end of 2267. (TOS: "Errand of Mercy", "The Apple")
  • In 2267, Uhura offered to purchase a tribble from Cyrano Jones for ten credits. (TOS: "The Trouble with Tribbles")
  • In 2364, Beverly Crusher bought a roll of cloth and had her account on the USS Enterprise-D billed. (TNG: "Encounter at Farpoint")
  • The Federation would have paid 1.5 million Federation credits as a lump sum and then 100,000 credits every Barzanian year for the rights to the Barzan wormhole. (TNG: "The Price")
  • In 2373, Quark indirectly caused damage to a cargo bay. Quark was informed that he would have to bear the cost burden for the repairs. (DS9: "Business as Usual")
  • When Quark rescued Gaila from a Federation Starbase after his arrest on Thalos VI, he had to pay a fine before he could be released. (DS9: "The Magnificent Ferengi")
  • Benjamin Sisko threatened Quark to collect on four years "back rent" that was unpaid. (DS9: "Bar Association")
  • On numerous occasions, Starfleet officers have gambled to win latinum at Quark's Bar, including Julian Bashir, William Riker, Jadzia Dax.
  • Kirk said to Picard "This is my house, I sold it years ago." inside the Nexus, referring directly to the sale of his former home. (Star Trek Generations)

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Latinum. That was the metal I was thinking of.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard