Print Thread
Pariah Offline OP
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
<title>

I'm currently debating this issue in my head. I don't post as much as I used to, but I still keep an rkmb window open all the time, which led me to consider that maybe it's disorderly for me to even bother with such things at all.

And while I imagine that the consensus of feelings will be that a tendency towards MBs is a socially stunting characteristic, I'm still curious to know what others think as well.

Zzzzandman
500+ posts
Zzzzandman
500+ posts

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Stop that!

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I view message boards as a form of entertainment.

I don't come here for anything fulfilling, but rather to pass the time in a fun way.

I've been posting here about ten years and like to think I've made some friends along the way.

However that is this message board, not message boards in general.

Message boards in general is just one of many forms of "social media"

Like bulletin boards, message boards were "social media" before "social media" was cool.

In that way it has been fulfilling as part of the whole internet experience.

I think here at these boards we've had a poster from almost every continent. I find that to be pretty cool.

When I think of all the leaps in science and technology that had to be made so peoples from all over the globe could come to this place to make dick jokes I feel extremely fulfilled.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Unless you're part of some support group message boards, I wouldn't think to look at them as fulfilling in the slightest. Most of the internet is poop and dick jokes. You've just got to find the place with your brand of poop and dick jokes. This is mostly for fun. It's good to have a serious discussion every now and then, but I don't believe the internet in general should be taken seriously. That way leads to Iconolastdom.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Seriously, if you need something on the internet to make your life more fulfilling, just fucking kill yourself right now.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
...I feel extremely fulfilled.

IN THE ASS!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Dick jokes in the ass.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Its the RKMBs motto.

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
I view message boards as a form of entertainment.

I don't come here for anything fulfilling, but rather to pass the time in a fun way.

Quote:
Unless you're part of some support group message boards, I wouldn't think to look at them as fulfilling in the slightest.

Yeah, I don't post anywhere looking for fulfillment. But if I look at it objectively, I can see how posting here has bettered me somewhat. I'd say it's helped me with my composition, etiquette, and furthered my ability to identify logical fallacies and whatnot.

I suppose you could say I'm just trying to rationalize all the attention I give this place.

My boss gave me the 'I don't care how much work you do; you don't socialize enough' speech. I felt like I was in that movie Kafka. I got the feeling she was telling me that my desire to speak with anonymous names on a screen has permanently damaged my ability to make acquaintances in real life. And the general feeling among brass is that it's a security risk.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I don't think online socialization will stunt your real world socialization skills. I'll agree that I've been exposed to a lot of information and ideas I probably wouldn't have in real life. Some good. Some bad. And not all of them have changed my mind about things. The people I talk with online are the kinds of people I'd most likely talk with in the real world. I spend no less time talking to people in the real world now than I did before I went online. I think I've just had the chance to meet more like minded people and discuss the things I want to online than a lot of real world conversations allow. Then, again, I've always been more of an introvert.

And, quite frankly, if your boss knew half as much about you as we do, she wouldn't want you socialize with anyone at work ever.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
This board has made my life more fulfilling than I ever could have imagined:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632403-wwe-12

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
And, quite frankly, if your boss knew half as much about you as we do, she wouldn't want you socialize with anyone at work ever.

Heh. That didn't occur to me.

Link Copied to Clipboard