Page 1 of 2 1 2
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cia-c...--politics.html
 Quote:
CIA Director David Petraeus has resigned, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said in a written statement Friday. The former Army general, who rocketed to global prominence as the man in charge of the "surge" in Iraq, quit over an extramarital affair, MSNBC reported.

"Today, CIA Director David Petraeus submitted his letter of resignation to the President," Clapper wrote. "Dave's decision to step down represents the loss of one of our nation's most respected public servants.

"From his long, illustrious Army career to his leadership at the helm of CIA, Dave has redefined what it means to serve and sacrifice for one's country," continued Clapper, whose statement did not specify a reason for the decision.

Petraeus went to work as CIA chief in September 2011 after heading up the war in Afghanistan. He had drawn fire in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said President Barack Obama "will address this with a statement later." But he declined to confirm the circumstances of the retired general's departure. "I don't have any details to give to you," he said.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Eh, re-elections usually see turnover in positions like these. No surprise. Almost certain that, at least, Timmy Geithner is to follow. Maybe, Hillary.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Hillary's already said that she's leaving; and, yes, it's no surprise about turnovers in such high stress positions. I think you have to consider, though, that Petraeus was in the job for a little over a year and is leaving due to an affair.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Don't know how I missed the affair part. That said, kudos to him for stepping down and not letting it get in the way. Much better this than scandal.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Right after the election.....Okay.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Petraeus is now questionable because of his role in the Benghazi attack, as are Hillary Clinton, Obama's national security advisors, the defense secretary, and Obama himself.

At least Petraus and Hillary Clinton are stepping down. Hopefully others will follow, or be exposed and leveraged out in the pending investigation.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
quit over an extramarital affair

if he was doiung a good job why quit? who cares who hes fucking? slick willy was pooning all over the place and he stayed in the center seat

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Petraeus is now questionable because of his role in the Benghazi attack, as are Hillary Clinton, Obama's national security advisors, the defense secretary, and Obama himself.

At least Petraus and Hillary Clinton are stepping down. Hopefully others will follow, or be exposed and leveraged out in the pending investigation.

and then superman will come and save us all

\:lol\:

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MrJSA

if he was doiung a good job why quit? who cares who hes fucking? slick willy was pooning all over the place and he stayed in the center seat

Remember how much tax money was wasted by Republicans for Willy getting all that poon. A Democratic appointee just proved he cares more for the deficit and wasteful spending than they do. Cause we all know they wouldn't have let it go when it got out.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
tru dat

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

if he was doiung a good job why quit?

If he's still active duty or active reserve it might be a violation of the military code of conduct. It could also be that he was working with the woman he was schtupping and he and/or his wife decided he couldn't keep working there and save the marriage. It could, but unlikely, be that he is upset about the Libya thing and this is a final straw/good excuse.

Or he could have done it to give Matter-iggy Man a gratuitous and off topic shot at the republicans. ;\)

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
If he's still active duty or active reserve it might be a violation of the military code of conduct.

mmm yeah. that sounds more right than the rest

Quote:
Or he could have done it to give Matter-iggy Man a gratuitous and off topic shot at the republicans. ;\)

you joking or is matter-eater man and iggy the same person?

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
'My wife's having an affair with someone I admire': Did husband describe his agony at partner's affair with the CIA chief to
NYT advice column?
Letter written by anonymous reader and printed on July 13th in the New York Times has been noted for its striking similarities to the David Petraeus and Paula Broadwell affair. The writer asks for advice because he knows his wife his sleeping with a 'government executive' whose job is 'seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership'

Probably a coincidence, but a pretty interesting one.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Unlikely that he's active duty if he's been in charge of the CIA. I think Joint Chief of Staff is one of the few positions you can hold while still active. If he retired as a general, it wouldn't be worth padding the retirement by much (if any) to stay in the reserves.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: casselmm47
Unlikely that he's active duty if he's been in charge of the CIA...

I don't have confirmation of this but there is some rumor going around the affair started when he was active duty, however.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: casselmm47
Unlikely that he's active duty if he's been in charge of the CIA...

I don't have confirmation of this but there is some rumor going around the affair started when he was active duty, however.

Yeah. I saw a report (Catherine Herridge, as I recall) who said that too. That an extramarital affair on the part of an officer is "conduct unbecoming" and a serious offense. To the point that it's possible Petraeus could be pulled from retirement and court-martialed for it, then demoted and retired at a lower rank.

That sounded unlikely to me, but it was still listed as a possibility, because it is considered that bad an offense.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I used to work with a guy who had been a high ranking air force colonel. Prior to our working together he had an affair with a civilian and had to resign his commission and leave the service.

Of course, right now, it's just speculation. It could just be, as noted before, that he decided to retire because of the personal fallout.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wait. I just now read that Broadwell was in the Army reserve and, in fact, the affair happened during this time in the service.

As noted above, that's a fairly serious violation of the code of conduct IIRC (sex with a technical subordinate).

Even if he wasn't prosecuted for it, the General may have been sufficiently ashamed that he decided to resign.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I'm still not clear on what caused Petraeus to reveal his affair and resign.

It's highly suspect that this all occurred 3 days after the election, and days before he was to give testimony before Congress about his knowledge of the Benghazi debacle.

And also suspect that Petraeus alone among the CIA/intelligence community backed up the Obama administration's official line that the Benghazi attack emerged from an anti-islamic Youtube video and embassy protests that are now proven to never have occurred.

One has to wonder if some leverage was used on Petraeus to make him support the official Obama line that it was not Al Qaida terrorism. That leverage likely being the threat of making his affair public.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Ok, seems like the affair was uncovered during an FBI investigation. The mistress was sending threatening emails to someone who happened to be a government volunteer. That kinda shines a light on the reason why this scandal is big enough to cause him to step down.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
There also seems to be some indication that the mistress might have been shooting her mouth off about classified information. At this point, it seems they aren't sure whether that was because she likes to make stuff up or because Petraeus was spilling secrets.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
and becuz the press loves a good sex story, amirite? ;\)

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Yeah, the press loves a good sex story but in this day and age that alone is usually not enough to get someone to resign. There needs to be something else, like hookers (Spitzer) or having pissed off your own party (Weiner) or some sort of legal issue.

Of course, as I said before, it could also be simply that Mrs. Petraeus told him to resign or get divorced.

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
tru dat

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts

answer my fucking question g-man

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

answer my fucking question g-man

Yeah, I thought I was Promiggyus!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
"Promiggyus"....I like that one. \:lol\:

JSA, you really don't realize I was joking? C'mon, BSAMS, I thought you were sharper than that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oops. Sorry, man.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
\:lol\:

hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts

i didnt know. i thought iggy might be another id for some one else here. k.

\:\-\[

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
hello whore
500+ posts
hello whore
500+ posts
C'mon, BSAMS

I am the Rill Mac!
(formerly randal_flagg)
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Yeah, the press loves a good sex story but in this day and age that alone is usually not enough to get someone to resign. There needs to be something else, like hookers (Spitzer) or having pissed off your own party (Weiner) or some sort of legal issue.

Of course, as I said before, it could also be simply that Mrs. Petraeus told him to resign or get divorced.

He was asked to resign by the Director of National Intelligence when the FBI approached Petraeus about the investigation.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, then, so much for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The scariest thing about this whole event is that you'd think the CIA director and the top US commander in Afghanistan would be the two guys on earth smart enough to know you don't stick your dick in crazy

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
On the flip side, once you've dodged suicide bombers and mortar attacks, what the hell else is there left for you to do to keep the thrill going?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
wave your naked butt at Lothar?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
wave your naked butt at Lothar?

It was a rhetorical question, SOM. I wasn't asking for you to share personal experiences.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://gma.yahoo.com/broadwell-classified-document-probe-114054139.html
 Quote:
Paula Broadwell, the author who allegedly had an affair with former CIA Director David Petraeus, is suspected of storing significant amounts of military documents, including classified material, at her home, potentially in violation of federal law.

A source familiar with case told ABC News that Broadwell admitted to the FBI she took the documents from secure government buildings. The government demanded that they all be given back, and when federal agents descended on her North Carolina home on Monday night it was a pre-arranged meeting.

Prosecutors are now determining whether to charge Broadwell with a crime, and this morning the FBI and military are poring over the material. The 40-year-old author, who wrote the biography on Gen. Petraeus "All In," is cooperating and the case, which is complicated by the fact that as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Military Reserve she had security clearance to review the documents.

FULL COVERAGE: David Petraeus Scandal

The FBI found classified material on a computer voluntarily handed over by Broadwell earlier in the investigation. Prosecutors will now have to determine how important the classified material is before making a final decision. Authorities could decide to seek disciplinary action against her rather than pursue charges.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just when you thought this couldn't get sleazier, Gloria Allred rears her ugly head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard