Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Online Cool
15000+ posts

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cops-dennys-guns-20130103,0,6803203.story

Quote:

Are you a cop? Do you carry a gun? Don't go to the Denny's in Belleville, Ill.

You are not allowed, the police chief says. Not after what happened Tuesday.

The flapjacks -- sorry, the flap -- began when several on-duty detectives with the Belleville Police Department dropped in to Denny's for some on-duty noshing, according to local media.

They had their badges and their guns, but as detectives, not their uniforms, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. This bothered a patron who then complained to a manager, David Rice, who then complained to one of the detectives: Please take your gun to your car or leave. No guns allowed.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," Denny's spokeswoman Liz DiTrapano said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

Denny's sure does, because despite the efforts of a general manager who tried (and failed) to clear up the misunderstanding before the detectives left, the department's chief banned on-duty and off-duty police in uniform from returning to the restaurant.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Police Chief William Clay said, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual [Rice] was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

The chief is overreacting.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
What kind of a world do we live in when even the police seem to have gone full-on sissy?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Full on sissy is the new American way.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
What kind of a world do we live in when even the police seem to have gone full-on sissy?

Police Chiefs are, more often than not, politicians first, cops second.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Aww, the police chief got bootyhurt.

Mind you, I'm not a law enforcement officer in the conventional sense, but all the same, I've been bitched at about carrying guns while stopping to get gas/grab food on my way to or from work -- in uniform -- just for having a duty belt on me; no gun. Some people are way too uptight about that sorta thing.

... Now if only they knew that off-duty, I'm carrying at least a .38 under my clothes...

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
In contrast to Dave, who wears a doodie belt.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cops-dennys-guns-20130103,0,6803203.story

Quote:

Are you a cop? Do you carry a gun? Don't go to the Denny's in Belleville, Ill.

You are not allowed, the police chief says. Not after what happened Tuesday.

The flapjacks -- sorry, the flap -- began when several on-duty detectives with the Belleville Police Department dropped in to Denny's for some on-duty noshing, according to local media.

They had their badges and their guns, but as detectives, not their uniforms, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. This bothered a patron who then complained to a manager, David Rice, who then complained to one of the detectives: Please take your gun to your car or leave. No guns allowed.

"Upon further discussion, we became aware the individual was a plain-clothed police officer," Denny's spokeswoman Liz DiTrapano said in a statement, according to the News-Democrat. "Denny's policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant, and we regret any misunderstanding."

Denny's sure does, because despite the efforts of a general manager who tried (and failed) to clear up the misunderstanding before the detectives left, the department's chief banned on-duty and off-duty police in uniform from returning to the restaurant.

"This was an insult, a slap in the face, to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement," Police Chief William Clay said, according to the News-Democrat.

"This individual [Rice] was the manager of Denny's. He therefore speaks for Denny's, in my mind. This policy effectively prohibits on-duty sworn police officers from dining in a Denny's Restaurant, but allows 'registered sex offenders,' 'felons' and or 'pedophiles' to enjoy a dining experience in Denny's."

The chief is overreacting.

And that's the nicest thing you can say about him. The guy's definitely one siren short of a squad car, if you get my drift.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: article

It's crystal clear that the Denny's manager only wanted the weapons out of the restaurant because they were in plain clothes, and the manager didn't know (because they were not in uniform) that they were police officers. As soon as he knew they were police officers, he said it was OK for them to have them in his restaurant.

The police chief is clearly posturing and misrepresenting the facts in an emotionally charged way. And it should get him very little traction, because anyone familiar with the facts can plainly see that.

15000+ posts
OP Online Cool
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342

... Now if only they knew that off-duty, I'm carrying at least a .38 under my clothes...

I pack a magnum in my pants. \:\( No one ever wants to see it.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
because it's packing herpes

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
 Originally Posted By: PCG342

I pack a magnum in my pants. \:\( No one ever wants to see it.

We've told you time and time again, Lothar, that that's not really Tom Selleck.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts

"No more Denny's...>sniff<"

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Link Copied to Clipboard