Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1198876 2013-06-20 4:09 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Good looking people only in the next movie

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lead-characters-casting-directors-want-180600837.html

Quote:

Disney is looking for a lot of fresh, young talent to fill roles in the next "Star Wars."

It looks like we may have our first clues as to the characters in "Star Wars: Episode 7."
Film blog Bleeding Cool reports they have confirmed the roles casting directors want to fill in the new movie.

What's most intriguing is they claim these are all lead characters.
Check them out:
Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.

Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.

A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
Forty something male, fit, military type.

Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

Bleeding Cool reports the film has started casting today in the UK.

J.J. Abrams ("Star Trek") will direct with George Lucas signed on in a "creative consultant" role.
The film is due out in 2015.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm disappointed that they aren't looking for a fit seventy-something male.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Spare us your sexual preferences.

Carrie Fisher is in Australia for some big comic book festival, and I heard on the radio has expressed an interest in being involved with the new movies.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Her, Ford, and Hamill are already signed on. Disney even sent a trainer over to her place to get her to drop some pounds before production begins.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
If that doesn't work maybe she can play Jabba!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I gotta say, other than the ridiculous and impractical looking "crucifix lightsabre," that trailer looked pretty damn good. More "real Star Wars" than anything Lucas vomited out in all three of the prequels.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

For me, Empire Strikes Back was by far the best of the Star Wars films. I enjoyed the three prequels for the visuals, despite the weaker storytelling, relative to the first three movies.

The new movie trailer looks fairly good, with a modern grittiness to it.

I always had a preference to Star Trek over the Star Wars franchise, and see Star Wars more as fantasy fluff with great special effects, and am less critical of it on that level, just enjoying it for what it is. Whereas Star Trek aspires to more sophistication and scientific realism.

I'm frankly amazed that Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill and Carrie Fischer are even invited to be part of a new movie. The franchise is almost 40 years old now, and all of them must be bucking 70.
I think it's a wise thing for the producers to cultivate a young cast, with maybe a few old favorites in the mix. That way they'll have actors they can bring back to appear in many sequels, keeping the franchise going for many decades to come.

I never understood why Star Wars, as popular as it was, and has continued to be for 38 years, has had so few movies. I can understand after the first 3 movies that George Lucas might have been exhausted and wanted to take a break. But I'm sure there's plenty of other writers and directors who would have eagerly stepped up to the plate to take over the heavy lifting. But instead there was a gap of almost 20 years before they did episodes 1, 2 and 3.

With an envisioned complete epic from the start of only 9 movies, I'm amazed they have only produced 6 in 38 years. And for all the time put into them, how consistently disappointing episodes 1, 2 and 3 were!

Maybe this next batch will finish on a high note.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

I gotta say, other than the ridiculous and impractical looking "crucifix lightsabre," that trailer looked pretty damn good. More "real Star Wars" than anything Lucas vomited out in all three of the prequels.

I thought that it was fan fic with that first shot. That lightsaber looks fucking retarded. Someone from the toy division probably came up with it. Everything else looks good with the exception of the Falcon loop shot. There's just something about it that doesn't seem Star Wars. This was always a fairy tale in space. Somehow making it look more realistic seems to fuck it up.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
surprising dearth of lens flares...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
George Lucas's special edition of the trailer.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Not enough Jar Jar but I guess that's to be expected since he's directing the new movie.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
George Lucas's special edition of the trailer.

\:lol\:

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Wes Anderson's Star Wars

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Spaceballs: the schvartz awakens

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm pretty happy about this, if only because if Abrams can make the best Star Trek movie ever (of course, the competition was not great), then he can make a decent Star Wars movie.

I didn't mind the light saber. New way to sell toys I guess.

The controversy has been amongst the hardcore "Extended Universe" fans, who are seeing beloved characters and story lines which never made it beyond novels erased. I think it was Jaina Solo, one of Han Solo and Leia's kids, who has made the fanboys go wahwah because she is a powerful female character blahblah and I love her like a sister blahblah and so on. Oh yes, see this http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/06/episode-vii-actress-daisy-ridley.html

Pimping my site, again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I kept up with the EU by reading a couple of novels and the synopsis for the others (and by playing the Jedi Knight series of games), but I don't mind if it gets erased. I've never been that attached to them and the old republic prequels because they were of such a different level of quality (they were loads better) from the main movie franchise that they felt tacked on and should be enjoyed separately.

...I couldn't roll with the crossguard lightsaber, though. I'm not fanboy-raging about it but it really looks unwieldy and dangerous to the user (not to mention completely useless as a crossguard because the emitters are exposed and will be lopped off by another lightsaber.)

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I thought that it was fan fic with that first shot.

I thought YOU were fan fic with that first shot. Shot of cum across your pouty lips, you wench.

Quote:
That lightsaber looks fucking retarded. Someone from the toy division probably came up with it.

Fuck you. That thing looks bad-the-fuck-ass. If we can have a movie with laser swords that suddenly have limit to their length, then we can have "exhaust ports" on the side or whatever. I think the broadsword saber looks awesome and if you disagree, everyone everywhere but me is wrong.

Quote:
Everything else looks good with the exception of the Falcon loop shot. There's just something about it that doesn't seem Star Wars. This was always a fairy tale in space. Somehow making it look more realistic seems to fuck it up.

Again....FUCKING INSANITY, JD. Everything about that Falcon shot not only screams nostalgia, and gives me chills, but looks more like "STAR WARS" than anything since Jedi. What's so "realistic" about it, anyway? It looks like the same ship from the originals, just with a different radar dish on top (cuz fucking Lando couldn't drive straight in JEDI).

This looks balls-out badass. You're talking to an age-old Trekkie who never cared much about SW and I simply cannot WAIT to see this.

Remember: If you disagree, I am right and every person on this planet is wrong.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
To quote Richard Pryor via Eddie Murphy, "Have a Coke and a smile, and shut the fuck up."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why the bitching about the new light saber? Because it's a broadsword?

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Broadswords don't come with blades sticking out the sides. I don't think it'd be much of an issue if they'd come up with some 'electro-magnetic' force fields or something like that. But putting tiny light sabers on the side is the equivalent of firing a gun that also has a barrel pointed back at the shooter that goes off at the same time as the forward facing barrel.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
remember how much stuff makes it into trailers only to end up on the cutting-room floor, guys. we're their earliest test screenings. I think it's kinda silly too (I feel like we're gonna have to devote a third episode to this very soon), but ultimately it's still very much a work in progress.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves

Cuz nerds be nerds, D-Money. It's all over the net.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah. Thame of Groans.

Pimping my site, again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm going to give the nerds a pass for the outrage about the crossguard lightsaber. I'm all for changing things in order to make it look kickass, but as doc pointed out, the change is ridiculous (even counting the fact that that the lightsaber blades can lock and block each other, the handle actually has the emitters poking out, making it useless for blocking because it will be lopped off along with the user's fingers when used as a crossguard.)

Contrast this with Count Dooku's curved lightsaber handle. It looked cool and was obviously intended for aesthetics, but nobody complained because it's not a stupid design.

Or Mace Windu's purple "electron" (picture me doing the annoying air quotes thingie) lightsaber. That one came out of nowhere (and depictions in comic books months before the film already had his saber as blue.) and Samuel Jackson admitted that he just wanted to look pimpin' but nobody complained because it really does look cool and isn't counterproductive design-wise.

The real unnecessary fanboying here are people who come out with all sorts of explanations for the lightsaber crossguard (it's used offensively, the creator is an inexperienced dark side user who doesn't know how to create a lightsaber, etc. etc.)

It's perfectly fine to just chalk this up to designers failing and still enjoy the movie when it comes out. I, for one, plan to do so. I hated the midichlorian explanation in Phantom Menace but I enjoyed every other part of the movie. I loathed the poorly-scripted romance angle in Attack of the Clones but still enjoyed the film because the parts that aren't about romance kick ass. I'm a fan of Star Wars but that doesn't mean I have to love and defend everything about it.

(still, it's J.J. Abrams on the helm, not Uwe Boll. I'm prepared to be surprised with a logical reason for the crossguard lightsaber. And am also not ruling out the possibility of them giving in and changing it before the film's release)

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Cuz nerds be nerds, D-Money. It's all over the net.

Thus giving me the quote to invalidate Pro's complaints in future discussions. ;\)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
It's perfectly fine to just chalk this up to designers failing and still enjoy the movie when it comes out. I, for one, plan to do so. I hated the midichlorian explanation in Phantom Menace but I enjoyed every other part of the movie.

Ahem. Jar Jar

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The new characters and things are just to sell toys. Fans will snatch up toy versions of the dumb light saber,the black stormtrooper,and the cute little rolling robot. Someone will make a fortune!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: G-Man
 Originally Posted By: SoM
It's perfectly fine to just chalk this up to designers failing and still enjoy the movie when it comes out. I, for one, plan to do so. I hated the midichlorian explanation in Phantom Menace but I enjoyed every other part of the movie.

Ahem. Jar Jar

Completely forgot about that character.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
The new characters and things are just to sell toys. Fans will snatch up toy versions of the dumb light saber,the black stormtrooper,and the cute little rolling robot. Someone will make a fortune!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I just want better than the prequels. If it takes a rolling droid and a light-broad-saber in order to get some decent characterization and dialogue I'm all in on ball droids and lopped off fingers!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:

Ahem. Jar Jar

Midichlorian Jar Jar!

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

This is doing more to get me excited about the new trilogy than the first one.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You beat me to it!

"Chewie... We're home."

Damn straight you are, Han Solo. Using the aged, original actors in this movie is just marvellous. It means the film gets the buy-in from the 1980s fans (who also aged but remember being young) as well as the millenarial kids who watched the Clone Wars cartoons. And means we can forget about the crapola prequels and move on.

Otherwise, of note, the landscape with the scattered Imperial Star Destroyer wreck was awesome. Everyone loves the mystery of ruins.

I didn't think so much of the first teaser trailer. But I'm excited by this one.

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Otherwise, of note, the landscape with the scattered Imperial Star Destroyer wreck was awesome. Everyone loves the mystery of ruins.

And X-Wing. I love that they're playing up a long, dragged out war. The silliest thing about the original trilogy (and there's a lot there) is that the war ended after the Battle of Endor. From internet rumblings, the desert planet seen in that shot isn't Tatooine.

I didn't think so much of the first teaser trailer. But I'm excited by this one.

The first one was okay. But hearing Hamil's voice really does bring back that magic of the original trilogy. Han and Chewy are the cherry on top.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
ford held up well, too.

I'm wondering if Luke and leia remained a little veiled still because the ...force has been heavy on them since the early 80s

Still, I've never been a giant Star Wars fan, but this was an exciting trailer. Just enough fan service, and lots of new cast stuff to move things forward. Disney and JJ look like they're doing this great so far

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Someone on the weekend noted Hamill's use of the present tense when describing his father's affinity to the Force. Curious. Is the old boy not actually dead?

Pimping my site, again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Well, you see his ghost in Return. Maybe the guy's still hanging around trying to make up for all those years of being a deadbeat dad.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
ford held up well, too.

I'm wondering if Luke and leia remained a little veiled still because the ...force has been heavy on them since the early 80s

Still, I've never been a giant Star Wars fan, but this was an exciting trailer. Just enough fan service, and lots of new cast stuff to move things forward. Disney and JJ look like they're doing this great so far

Well part of the whole Star Wars deal was that Hamill had to get back into better shape, and going on his recent appearance in The Flash tv series, he has. He still looks old etc, but I get the feeling they want that as they will probably be going for a Ben Kenobi role for him in this trilogy I would guess.
Leia is apparently a drunk ex-slave girl in this.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
If I recall correctly, Hamill is now about the same age Alec Guinness was when he filmed 'a new hope.' So it makes sense that Luke would be looking pretty old this point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard