Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Research finds wealth warps your perspective and makes you less ethical
By Eric W. Dolan
Thursday, June 20, 2013 16:58 EDTTopics: Paul Piff ♦ uc berkeley ♦ university of california at berkeley

Across multiple studies, researchers at the University of California at Berkeley have found that being in the upper-class predisposes individuals to acting unethically.

Studies conducted by psychology professor Paul Piff found those who drive luxury cars were less likely to stop for pedestrians, those with more money were more likely take candy from children, and the wealthiest among us were more likely to cheat in a game with a $50 cash prize. Researchers at UC Berkeley have also found lower-class individuals are more physiologically attuned to the suffering of others than their middle- and upper-class counterparts.

Piff has come under attack because of his research on socioeconomic classes.

“I’ve gotten a lot of hate mail and vitriol from people calling me out for junk science and having a liberal agenda,” he said. “Our findings apply to both liberals and conservatives. It doesn’t matter who you are. If you’re wealthy, you’re more likely to show these patterns of results.”

Though some might assume the wealthy gained their riches due to their unethical behavior, the effect appears to work in the opposite direction. Being wealthy is what drives the unethical behavior.

Piff manipulated the rules of a Monopoly game to show even lower class people began to take on the traits of the wealthy when provided with unfairly favorable circumstances. Those given an unfair advantage surprisingly believed they deserved to win the game. They attributed their successes to their own individual skills and talents, rather than their highly favorable circumstances. A higher class person put in an unfavorable position, on the other hand, began to take on the traits of the poor.

“If I take someone who is rich and make them feel psychologically a little less well-off, they become way more generous, way more charitable, way more likely to offer help to another person,” Piff explained. “Not just in this game of Monopoly, but in a whole bunch of other experiments that we’ve run where we make rich people feel poor or poor people feel rich.”

RAW

Fair play!
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
Money can't buy happiness,but you can rent happiness for a while.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
$100 for vag, $75 for oral, $175 for the Triple Threat package.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:

Piff manipulated the rules of a Monopoly game to show even lower class people began to take on the traits of the wealthy when provided with unfairly favorable circumstances. Those given an unfair advantage surprisingly believed they deserved to win the game. They attributed their successes to their own individual skills and talents, rather than their highly favorable circumstances. A higher class person put in an unfavorable position, on the other hand, began to take on the traits of the poor.

“If I take someone who is rich and make them feel psychologically a little less well-off, they become way more generous, way more charitable, way more likely to offer help to another person,” Piff explained. “Not just in this game of Monopoly, but in a whole bunch of other experiments that we’ve run where we make rich people feel poor or poor people feel rich.”

I couldn't help thinking of Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy in the movie Trading Places.

I seriously question the objectivity of the guy who did this study. It seems to me he started with the preconception that those with wealth have less compassion. Who does he think are the formers and major contributors to charitable organizations? The wealthy.

I've met wealthy people who are status-driven self-absorbed pricks, and I've also met many wealthy people who are generous in donations and with their personal time.
In my personal life, I would say that I'm actually more generous when I have it to spare. And I would say that compassion comes from being in contact with and aware of those less fortunate, than simply not having wealth.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
If he used good methods than objectivity wouldn't matter. Plus it is by no means absolute. Some of the findings do seem to reflect real life to me. A wealthy friend accidently forgets to pay for something doesn't bother going back to pay for it when she reallizes it. The value of what she ended up stealling didn't really seem like a big deal to her because she has so much for example.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I wonder if what the professor found isn't tied to acquired narcissist syndrome.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The two don't really seem to jibe. WB's Trading Places example works for the Piff study while ANS seems to argue those traits are just there to begin with. I think both are in play though. Honesty is a value for many reguardless of finances for example.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
those with more money were more likely take candy from children and tie young women to train tracks while twirling their mustaches and laughing.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Money can't buy happiness,but you can rent happiness for a while.

Money doesn't buy happiness. It just buys all the shit that can make you happy.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
those with more money were more likely take candy from children and tie young women to train tracks while twirling their mustaches and laughing.

Fair play!
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That was thelothar12's way of reminding us that he:

A: is not funny
B: likes to defend rich people with strawman arguments because he believes they vote Republican.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
Online Cool
15000+ posts
What's little Stewie upset about now? I'm not sure if he's trying to take a shot at me or doc.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
What's little Stewie upset about now?

The real question is does anyone actually care?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
JLA just has to post to make sure that no one forgets him.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I find the 'rich people will steal candy from babies' line laughable. Quite frankly, I won't believe any evidence from a study that uses the Monopoly game as its scientific backbone. I've played poker before for no money. I played completely differently than I do when real money is on the line. I take it less seriously and don't give a shit about how I'm playing. It's silly. I'd rather see an actual study on these people's real business practices. That will tell you if a person is an ass or not.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not sure if he's trying to take a shot at me or doc.

There is no difference. That's the point, doctor12

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Hybrid
What's little Stewie upset about now?

The real question is does anyone actually care?

You cared enough to post. Then again, you are hooked!

Link Copied to Clipboard