Next Thread
Print Thread
#1205103 2013-11-06 12:33 AM
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I thought the first Thor movie was a bit like Xanadu: a pretty blonde Australian of mythological inclinations with daddy issues, and a lot of cheesy plastic disco costumery.

This movie, though: I LIKED this movie. In many respects the character of Loki made it. You can't help but like Loki, for all his flaws. He's sneaky, clever, and has redeeming qualities.

Kat Dennings' smart arse sidekick to Jane Foster was also very amusing.

And who would have guessed Malekith, Walt Simonson's most lame villain, would be a good motion picture match for Thor?

Anyone else seen it yet?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it. I agree it was better than the first.

Whereas the first one was more earthbound, and had to spend a fair amount of time explaining Thor's origins, this film started right out (after the prologue) with Asgardian battle scenes of Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three kicking troll ass and taking giants' names.

Also, as doc notes, the production design ditched a fair amount of the "plastic disco" look for something more naturalistic and norse derived. You could still see hints of Kirby and Simonson designs in the film but it didn't look like quite as fake.

Overall the cast was very good. Obviously, Hiddleston as Loki is the standout but there really wasn't a bad acting job in the bunch.

Oh, and WB is insane if they don't throw vast sums of money at Jamie Alexander to get her to play Wonder Woman.

Kat Dennings annoyed the hell out of me in the first movie. At first she annoyed me in this one was well. However, giving her the other intern to play off of early in the film made her character much more palatable. In the first film she was basically just "the sarcastic friend of the lead female" as if she'd stepped out of a bad rom-com. Once she had Ian to interact with she became less of that and more of part of a comedy relief team.

And speaking of Dennings, maybe I'm cynical, but I can't help but wonder if Natalie Portman and/or her agent wasn't behind the decision to have Dennings wear an extremely baggy and ill fitting wool overcoat for the entire movie.

The only thing that kind of, sort of, didn't work for me was the ending[s]:

• The scene with Thor and Odin in the throne room created too many questions with the big reveal.

The post credits scene (the one on earth, not the one with Sif and Volstagg) really had no business being post credits. It was basically the end of the movie.

Still, highly enjoyable.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thor's reunion with Jane Foster was kind of a bit gooey, so perhaps the end of the movie was a better home for that. The ice monster bounding after the birds made me laugh.

Kat Dennings' big jacket and overcoat I suspect was her own agent's efforts to demonstrate that she is more than just a smart mouth with a monster set.

Didn't expect Frigga to check out so early. It gave Loki some meaningful motiviation to assist.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Link Copied to Clipboard