Next Thread
Print Thread
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
http://www.newsarama.com/19707-starlight...l-universe.html

Mark Millar has revealed the ‘launch’ book of his upcoming new creator-owned Millarworld superhero comic book universe he’s positioning as “the twenty-first century version of the Marvel Universe.”

The space-fantasy Starlight will debut as a six-issue limited series in March from Image Comics with art by Croatian artist Goran Parlov (Fury Max #13), according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Millar describes the series to THR as “Flash Gordon-meets-The Dark Knight, centering on a space hero who saved the universe 35 years ago but came back to Earth, where no one believed his fantastic stories. He settled down, got married, had kids and got old. And then...?”

"And then that old, sparky Buster Crabbe-era rocket-ship comes back and needs him for one last adventure," Millar told THR. "It's Buzz Lightyear meets Unforgiven.”

CREDIT: Mark Millar
View full size image

Starlight (which, interestingly seems to be referred to at “RocketMan” in the filenames of 3 of the 5 preview images) will be followed in May by the previously announced MPH, a 6-issue spin-off of Kick-Ass set in Detroit about four college-age teenagers who chance upon an illegal street drug that gives them the power to move at light-speed for seven days.

CREDIT: Mark Millar
View full size image

Set to be drawn by Duncan Fegredo, Millar calls that series “The Fast and the Furious without cars ,” offering a “completely new way of doing super-speed in comics.”

Starlight and MPH are 2 of what Millar expects to be “four-to-five” titles coming out in 2014-15.

Expect an announcement of Starlight's Hollywood option any day now.

Betcha he dies heroically, a la Bruce Willis in Armageddon. Or Tommy Lee Jones in that space shuttle movie.

Millar plays to studio stereotypes - you can even see it in his "think of it as blah crossed with bleh" crap sound bites.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
It's Millar's cheap trick. He patterns characters after famous people so that it's easier for readers to picture the character as a person. The Ultimates even went so far as to let the characters describe themselves based on who Millar wanted you to picture. It was the one thing I hate about the series.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
In this promo alone:

a. Flash Gordon-meets-The Dark Knight
b. The Fast and the Furious without cars
c. Buzz Lightyear meets Unforgiven

Fucking namedropper.

Pimping my site, again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I find the Fast and Furious without cars thing funny, though. Kinda like saying hamburger without burger.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Kinda like saying hamburger without dog.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
hey, that's offensive. we also use cats.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS!

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I find the Fast and Furious without cars thing funny, though. Kinda like saying hamburger without burger.

Yes. A theme movie without the theme. "People speeding fast in cars.... WITHOUT THE CARS! That'll appeal to the revheads!"

One of the things about cvar movies like F&F is that it is all about the love of the automobile. The romances, the fistfights, the other stuff, is all superfluous to seeing someone drift in a Mustang in an illegal street race.

Which makes this elevator pitch even more ludicrous.

Pimping my site, again.

Link Copied to Clipboard