Next Thread
Print Thread
#1208045 2014-02-11 2:22 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
This was an animated feature film by the Canadian company Nelvana. They got people like Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, Cheap Trick, and Lou Reed to write songs and be character singing voices. The animation and optical tricks they do are quite good, especially for the late 70's/early 80's. It's stuff that would just simply be done on a computer these days.

Story wise, it's not great shakes. I recently got the DVD through Netflix as it was something that I vaguely remembered as a kid. In the commentary, the director mentioned how they were always rewriting the story; and it shows. There isn't a whole lot of sense to some things that they do while others aren't really fleshed out that well.

Still, as a fan of cinema and animation, it's worth a watch. Turns out that folks have the whole damn thing up on YouTube.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1208052 2014-02-11 3:14 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Lou Reed

Thanks to doc

the G-man #1208075 2014-02-11 3:47 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I always wanted to watch Rock & Rule when it came out around 1982 or so. But it looked like a movie that might not live up to its hype, and as I recall, got very bad reviews, and so I never saw it. Although many great movies get panned unfairly by critics, and are still great. John Carpenter's 1982 remake of THE THING, for example.

I don't even recall Rock & Rule getting played after its release on cable!

But nice that I can try it here now free of charge, thank you.

The three coolest animated movies for me are the Beatles' YELLOW SUBMARINE, the 1976 film WIZARDS, and HEAVY METAL.

Of the more recent computer-animated fare, I thought WALL-E and UP were both outstanding. Warm, sentimental, playful, but also intelligent, making these two movies enjoyable for both adults as well as children.

the G-man #1208084 2014-02-12 2:19 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Lou Reed

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1208089 2014-02-13 10:52 PM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
This was an animated feature film by the Canadian company Nelvana. They got people like Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, Cheap Trick, and Lou Reed to write songs and be character singing voices. The animation and optical tricks they do are quite good, especially for the late 70's/early 80's. It's stuff that would just simply be done on a computer these days.

Story wise, it's not great shakes. I recently got the DVD through Netflix as it was something that I vaguely remembered as a kid. In the commentary, the director mentioned how they were always rewriting the story; and it shows. There isn't a whole lot of sense to some things that they do while others aren't really fleshed out that well.

Still, as a fan of cinema and animation, it's worth a watch. Turns out that folks have the whole damn thing up on YouTube.

almost two minutes before they did anything. Not for me. Sorry,doc.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
I have no idea what opening credits are.

thedoctor #1208363 2014-02-24 9:54 PM
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
the real selling point for it, I think, was the rock stars doing voices and music for it. it's like they wanted to go one step further than Heavy Metal.

Grimm #1208365 2014-02-24 11:52 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm
the real selling point for it, I think, was the rock stars doing voices and music for it. it's like they wanted to go one step further than Heavy Metal.

Clearly so. Aside from the technical execution, which is pretty fantastic, there's not much else left. Having the main characters being post apocalypse evolved dogs seems to just be a leftover character designs from when it was originally going to be a kids film. It's a movie that I wished was cooler than it turned out to be. There are some great bits, like the Zero G club and such. The overall structure is mostly mush.

Link Copied to Clipboard