Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
My friends and I were talking this past weekend about how we essentially grew up watching the same shows that our parents did as kids. This was due to there not being a lot of original, new programming on TV, especially cable, at the time. That is not so much the case anymore. Nickelodeon, a term that today's kids won't even understand, has original programming pretty much around the clock as opposed to replaying whatever was affordable for them to by from the syndication market. There's also the added delivery system of the internet that has made stars out of YouTube posters. My niece is wild about a shitload of online weirdos in a way that I can just never understand.

I grew up watching the same Adventures of Superman with George Reeves and Abbott & Costello that my mother did. I'm only in my mid 30's, but I probably have about 70-80 years of pop-culture in my head. My Lone Ranger is Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels is his Tonto. Johnny Weissmuller is my Tarzan. The fact that I have a favorite Lone Ranger and Tarzan may also be a signifier of what I'm talking about. Motherfuckers today don't even know the Three Stooges.

I'm starting to think that this is part of the reason why I'm so detached and uninterested in the youth culture of the kids that are starting taking classes at the university I work. I have an extra sort of connection with my parents, aunts, uncles, etc. because I can sit down and watch an old John Wayne western or The Dirty Dozen with them and enjoy it. It looks like that connection between the generations is dieing off. Quite frankly, I don't want to live in a world that doesn't know what 'Who's on First?' is.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
kids these days don't know what it's like to watch countless boring drama films on cinemax just to get that 5 minutes of wank time on the nekkid scenes.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'm 32 and I remember watching hogans heroes, mr. Ed, green acres, Brady bunch, Gillian's island, Dennis the menace,outer limits, twilight zone, flintstones, jetsons, looney toons, and tom and jerry with my parents. I never really see those shows on tv anymore. It's kinda sad to see them going away but it's not surprising considering the amount of competition television has that they'd keep introducing new shit to bring in viewers

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Exactly. I can't even think of a place that shows the old Looney Tunes anymore. I know Cartoon Network doesn't. Boomerang (their spin-off channel) might as I remember them playing the old Hanna-Barbera stuff like Space Ghost and Herculoids; but I don't know for certain as it's not a basic cable channel. It might have gone the way of MTV2.

I used to love the Nick at Night line-up for the very shows you mentioned including and especially Get Smart. And while I'm happy that Sci-Fi is no longer an old reruns only channel as it started out as, I'd still like them to boost their classic sci-fi output some. The Twilight Zone marathons are great, but maybe once in a while some Lost in Space or even some old Godzilla or Hammer horror films would be nice.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I forgot about those! Yeah, I need to add Get smart, 3 stooges, lost in space, dragnet, partridge family, the monkees, bewitched, and I dream of genie. I'm sure there's a lot more I can add to the list

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Leave It to Beaver. The Adam West Batman. The Munsters. The Addams Family. Lassie. Car 54 Where Are You? Laugh-In. SCTV. Monty Python. Petticoat Junction. The Beverly Hillbillies.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
don't forget Lizzie McGuire!

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Hell, I remember on weekends, CBS used to show The Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, and a handful of others. I'm 25, for the record....

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Late twenties. I grew up on Perry Mason, Dragnet, I Love Lucy, and all manner of older films none of the other kids in school knew existed. We didn't get along.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
even if you watched the same shows they watched, people would still hate you Pariah.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
don't forget Lizzie McGuire!

Why not? Everyone else has.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
even if you watched the same shows they watched, people would still hate you Pariah.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Phew! That's a relief!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Boomerang (their spin-off channel) might as I remember them playing the old Hanna-Barbera stuff like Space Ghost and Herculoids

At least here, Boomerang started like that but now it's 100% live action teen soaps. The name of the channel hasn't made sense for 14 years.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
in my country, boomerang is slang for putting your penis in another man's ass. so it kinda makes sense.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lothar is a weekend boomeranger.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Dammit, Lothar. What the fuck.

Link Copied to Clipboard