OP Offline
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
That is all.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I was out in Los Angeles and San Diego for a few weeks back in 1987, and it was the only part of the country where, as a white American, I felt like an unwelcome foreigner in my own country.
There's a large Hispanic population in Florida (mostly Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian, and Brazilian) but they are not rude to non-Hispanics the way they were in California. But somehow in California the Hispanic/Mexican locals acted like it was their country, and were unfriendly to whites. As if we were the illegals in their country!

I also didn't like the smog. In the L.A. part of my trip, I went to see my aunt (a professor at California State University, Los Angeles) and something she pointed out to me was that despite there were mountains surrounding the valley, on many days you couldn't see the mountains on the horizon because the smog was so bad.

I was also surprised how high the cost of living was, even in suburban Pasadena. My aunt at that time rented a two-bedroom apartment for $1,200 a month. At the same time in beautiful Boca Raton and the rest of South Florida, a two-bedroom rented for about $600 a month. Now, after decades of inflation, it's about $1,100 a month here.

Needless to say, the taxes are very high in California relative to other areas of the country as well. And while California is notoriously Democrat/liberal, there's a very large Conservative presence there too, and I know many of them.

An idea I hear is for the more conservative regions of California (mostly the Northern counties) to break away and form a separate state. From what I understand, there aren't even many presidential campaign ads run in California, because it's such a sure thing CA will go Dermocrat in every election.

It must really suck to be overtaxed and have no representation, while they continually raise taxes and use it to provide for illegal immigrants, despite a Proposition 187 popular vote in California expressing will of the people to cease providing for illegals.
Likewise with Proposition 8, where the majority made their will known, and an appellate judge arbitrarily threw out the law, despite it being a law passed by an overwhelming majority.
Which is why 100,000 families a year are fleeing the state for places like Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Their votes don't count in California, so they're voting with their feet.

The closest equivalent I've experienced in Florida is Miami. While not an unfriendly place, it has the feel of being in a foreign country, and it's often difficult to find someone who speaks English. It also has a very high ratio of crime and violence. And at times has been the murder capital of the United States.
There's a bumper sticker: "THE LAST AMERICAN TO LEAVE MIAMI... PLEASE BRING THE FLAG."

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Of all the major cities Ive visited--including some hardcore hippie ones (Hi, Austin)--LA sucked the most.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Somehow the hybrid of "redneck" and "hippie" is a laughable combination for me.

Although I got a hint of there being hippies in Texas reading about the birth of the underground movement.

Several of the founders of Ripoff Press apparently started in Texas before venturing out to California.

One thing I'll say about California, I found it remarkably easy to meet girls there, relative to Florida. In Florida, girls develop an attitude when you're friendly, guarded. Shields up!
In San Diego, I'd just have a conversation in line shopping or in a restaurant, and before they left, they'd give me their phone number to call them. I didn't even ask!

On my flight out to San Diego, the plane wasn't very crowded, and I noticed a very pretty brunette sitting a few rows up from me. So with the open seats, I walked over and sat next to her, and she was very flirtatious and receptive. She was the first to give me her phone number, and even invited me to stay with her where she came from (Colorado? I can't recall where she was flying from.)
Then as we were walking off the plane, she said she had to go, that it was nice meeting me, and to call her. From about 40 feet away, I saw her meet her boyfriend and give him a great big kiss!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Redneck hippie: Willie Nelson

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Not a fan of LA.

LAX sucks the big one.

Might be in San Diego in May, you never know.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts

this is now stuck in my head. Dick.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People

Link Copied to Clipboard