Next Thread
Print Thread
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i have seen this movie. i have enjoyed this movie.

despite my rampant geekiness elsewhere, I've never been a giant Star Wars geek. But I did get hyped up from all the trailers, threw in a few dashes of nostalgia and rewatched IV, V, and VI with some pals, and then got into the new title.

I have critiques! As any good internet person should. But mostly, it was fun and a good movie that ....has set ridiculous box office records.

Without getting into spoilery specifics... i liked the new characters (rey, fin, kylo, bb8, and po) way more than i thought I would -- i very much anticipated hating them, and I actually really liked each. all of the "hey, here's the old guys" parts were also very well done. Han owned the film, leia and chewie's moments were nice, even c3po and r2d2's appearances were nice and nostalg...ish.

Getting deeper into the spoiler pool... the plot was unapologetically "a new, new hope". My friends who are giant starwars fans hated that aspect, but I could see it as good and bad -- light and dark, if you will. sure, for them, they were expecting all original stuff, but this movie wasn't just for them. there are like 8 generations of star wars fans (and potential fans) now, so something had to serve as "the new baseline". if that was the intent, then I think it was incredibly well done. the parallels between IV and VII are incredibly evident if you've seen the originals often, which might be a nice dose of reminiscing. and if you haven't seen them yet, you're getting the best parts of the original, with all the benefit of new perspective and modern day cinematics. alright, maybe that's me giving too much credit to abrams, but fuck off!

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I love how mr. badass darth vader 2.0 is frequently getting sassed by Hux. Vader would have force choked the shit out of that dude on the first smirk.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I like the new characters as well. Having them not weighed down with Lucas's stiff dialogue really helps. Ren was also a better villain than I first thought that he'd be. The guy's reason for going to the Dark Side seemed a whole helluva lot more understandable than Anakin's. *Spoilers* The fact that they went through a whole lot of effort to show Chewie's bowcaster as being badass by tossing stormtroopers back when they get hit just makes him even more badass when all he does is pretty much just wince when he get hits. And then him punching the wound because pain feeds his Dark Side powers... fuck.

I kind of wish that it wasn't so much of a push from one action scene to another in a good portion of the film. Also, I didn't need Death Star 3.0. They could have come up with another weapon or plan instead of just kind of transposing the plot of a New Hope onto this one. The weapon was also pretty fucking ridiculous. Even by Star Wars standards.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
In episode 8, Kylo Ren will be dripping hot candle wax on his nipples before going out to fight.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I thought that was your fanfic 'Fifty Shades of the Dark Side'.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
It was, but Disney bought the rights to it.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've waited 35 years to see another good Star Wars movie.
I finally did.
I almost cried.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
When are they going to make a Jar Jar movie?

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
When are they going to make a Jar Jar movie?

Disney offered jar jar to fox so they could make a gritty fantastic four style Reboot

Fox is seriously considering it

Link Copied to Clipboard