The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Conservative Treehouse

• You’re referring to a ‘Budget’.

This is Not A Budget!
    This is an Omnibus Spending Bill…which is different.

The President is directed by the Constitution to adhere to a Budget that Congress approves.
    A ‘spending bill’ is not the same as the Federal Budget.

Ozero spent, or didn’t spend, the money from all those Omnibus Spending Bills, on whatever he wanted to.
    And Congress didn’t do a thing about it!

What happened to all those “shovel ready jobs”?
    What happened to the “Infrastructure” that Congress appropriated money for?
    Ozero didn’t spend the money on those things, did he.

He also spent money on things that weren’t appropriated…like all that SWAT Gear and Ammo for all those govt agencies that aren’t supposed to armed like military forces.

Ozero was never bound by a Budget…because Congress never passed one during his 8 years!
    That’s why he was able to spend money on whatever he wanted to.
    Or… not spend money on things he didn’t want to see funded.

And Congress didn’t do a thing about it.

In short, the DEMs just handed Trump $1.3 Trillion with no obligation toward the lefty agenda.

Incidentally, Obama did the exact same thing during his terms. Karma's a bitch I guess.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

From what I can observe, Trump and the Republicans got only a large defense budget increase out of the deal, whereas the Democrats got EVERYTHING they wanted: PLanned Parenthood increases, funding for Obamacare, many other orgies of liberal spending. And not just continuing liberal spending projects, but in many cases doubling their budgets, while Trump got virtually nothing for the priorities he campaigned on. In particular, the wall, where he only got 1.5 billion, and a lot of restrictions even on that. It's enough to build 92 miles of the 800-mile U.S./Mexico border wall.

Trump should have vetoed this bill and demanded the budget be re-written, cutting out excessive spending on things he vowed previously to eliminate, and demanding funding for his own clearly stated priorities. I don't know one conservative who thought Trump should have signed this spending bill.
So far as I can see it was only:
1) to fund military defense at all other costs included, because our military is so crippled by 8 years of devastating "sequestration" cuts under Obama. I saw recently that only 40% of U.S. military aircraft are combat-ready.
2) because if there was a shutdown, Trump would be blamed for it by Dems and the complicit liberal media, and it would further hurt him politically.

I still think Trump should have vetoed it. Let them come back in a week or so with a better deal. Even if Trump signed something equally bad a week from now, he at least would have shown an effort to push for something better. This is the second time Trump has relied on Ryan and McConnell to negotiate for him. The first was the failure and humiliation of NOT repealing Obamacare. And like the first time, it again betrayed and undermined his presidency.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
He does fine undermining his presidency by himself. Not signing it would have just given my party more power to leverage a better spending bill for the country. You don't control congress and the WH without owning the responsibility and blame for what you do with it.

Fair play!
Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

From what I can observe, Trump and the Republicans got only a large defense budget increase out of the deal, whereas the Democrats got EVERYTHING they wanted: PLanned Parenthood increases, funding for Obamacare, many other orgies of liberal spending. And not just continuing liberal spending projects, but in many cases doubling their budgets, while Trump got virtually nothing for the priorities he campaigned on. In particular, the wall, where he only got 1.5 billion, and a lot of restrictions even on that. It's enough to build 92 miles of the 800-mile U.S./Mexico border.

Again, because this is a bill, and not a budget, Trump can stop any spending he essentially disagrees with. Just as Obama did.

Also, the most popular rumor is that he's going to employ the Army Core of Engineers to build the wall. ACE operates off defense funding--of which there is over $700 billion.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Yes. In the last few days, I've seen increasing talk of that, Pariah. That Trump can trick the Democrats, and get whatever funding he needs for the border fence from the defense spending provided.

Also beautiful, Trump is assigning several thousand National Guard troops on the border to secure the border and keep out "caravans" of illegal immigrants. This too falls under the umbrella of defense spending. Border defense is still defense.

I liked when Trump pointed out in a speech a few days ago that the U.S. has troops and pays an enormous cost in dollars (if not military lives) defending the borders of countries like South Korea, Syria, Iraq and Japan (I believe the cost in Iraq alone since 1991 is about 7 trillion). And yet it is considered an outrage by the Democrat treasonous Left, and their brethren the globalist establishment Republicans, to spend a tiny amount of that to secure OUR OWN border!

But Trump is doing it despite their wailing and screaming.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Not a new idea, both Obama & Bush used the military for the border.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard