Next Thread
Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

More than 100 U.S. political leaders have ancestors who were slaveholders

* At least 100 members of the last sitting Congress are direct descendants of ancestors who enslaved Black people, representing at least 8% of Democrats in Congress and 28% of Republicans.

* The group includes Republican senators Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Tom Cotton and James Lankford, and Democrats Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth, Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan.

* President Joe Biden and every living former U.S. president except Donald Trump are direct descendants of slaveholders: Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

* Governors of 11 of the 50 U.S. states in 2022 were descendants of slaveholders, as were two U.S. Supreme Court justices.

* The Congressional slaveholding ancestors were among the richest in America before the Civil War; three-quarters were among the richest 10%.

* In researching America’s political elite, Reuters found names of more than 700 people enslaved by ancestors of the leaders.

* Some 23% of respondents to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll said knowing that a candidate’s ancestors enslaved people would make them less likely to vote for that candidate, and white respondents who said they’re aware of having a slaveholding ancestor were more likely than other white people to support paying reparations for slavery.

Interesting, but I could care less, so far as it influencing whether or not I support current office-holders or candidates. They did not have any control or influence on their slaveholder ancestors, nor do they currently endorse slavery, or even racist/white-supremacist attitudes. Not even in the case of the above listed far-Left lunaticss I hate, such as Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth, or RINOs Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham (somehow that slaveholder history makes sense in the case of Lindsey Graham. )
There are plenty of things to blame these people for, that they are actually responsible for.

A similar non-issue brought up when Arnold Schwarzennegger ran for governor of California, and one of his opponents raised the issue that his father had been a Nazi SS officer during World War II. Again, Schwarzenegger had no control over that. And as we all know now, the guy, far from a nazi, is an ultra woke liberal.

This reminds me of the story a few years ago that Barack Obama and the Bush family are related.
Same situation: interesting, but it doesn't change anything.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard