Print Thread
#155795 2000-10-22 8:09 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
continuing the conversation i had with franta in the movie folder...

does anyone else miss the BTAS cartoon? (any version)

------------------
i have spoken

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Ah hell yeah, I do.

Soon I understand we won't even have Beyond on TV as the JLA episode is the finale!

I like the idea of the Nightwing, Robin AND the Bat-girl in it!

But I hated how they revamped the villians (if you ain't heard my rant before ask and I'll tell otherwise Im giving those who heard it a break!).

One of the oddest favorite shots was the fact that not only was Dick Grayson drinking a BEER at Bruce's wedding to one of Poison Ivy's Plant Clones the BEER was HUGE! I still laugh about that moment!

200+ posts
200+ posts
With all the crap TW seems to slap the Batman franchise onto, I really miss TAS. My only gripe was that we never saw AZ in an episode. Batman Beyond just didn't hold my interest.
The Clayface episode was a riot, with all kinds of in-jokes.The Ra's/Jonah Hex episode also stands out as a favorite.
And 'Mask of the Phantasm' out-movied all of Burton and Schumacher's crap.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
franta:

<<Ah hell yeah, I do. Soon I understand we won't even have Beyond on TV as the JLA episode is the finale!>>

heard that was justa rumor. i think batman beyond will stay out for at least a few more years. dini really wants to stick with that. its makin good money, i guess. plus, they have the dvd and live action (yeah) batman beyond move soon.

dunno if they'll ever go back to the good batman cartoons (original or new versions), even without dini and timm. they were simply fantastic. definitly my favorite incarnation of batman, by far (specifically with the aid of dini and timm).

<<But I hated how they revamped the villians>>

go ahead n'rant, bro! (or, is this the stuff you comented on before... ivy and catwoman too pale, etc.)

Dhaise:

<<With all the crap TW seems to slap the Batman franchise onto, I really miss TAS.>>

what really sucks, is, TW movies and cartoons really are just not made for the movies and cartoons anymore. they're made for the tie ins.

y'ever see that commercial (for sprite, i think), where its an office filled with executives talking about "slug" tie ins (slug meal, slug doll, slug posters, etc), and then, at the end, they go "and the movie? ... well, we'll come up with something." thats pretty close to how it is. while i was workin in the DC offices, they were talking about the new superman movie (with nic cage). the whole movie idea at that point, was tied around supes losing his powers, and fighting a polar bear (simply to tie in with coca cola advertising... thats the ONLY reason). sick.

BTAS gave real fans a big ass treat. GREAT stories, sweet animation, etc, etc. and, i think its a treat that will never again be repeated.

(my 1 big dream is a fully digitalized computer rendered btas movie, i.e; toy story. characters based off bruce timm's design, story by paul dini. limitless potential for fan appeal AND income, considering the high movie grosses of digital films)

<<Batman Beyond just didn't hold my interest.>>

couldnt agree more.

<<And 'Mask of the Phantasm' out-movied all of Burton and Schumacher's crap.>>

that too.

liked the 1989 batman film a lot, but... the cartoon always did it best.

------------------
i have spoken

200+ posts
200+ posts
yeah, I remember reading Kevin Smith's attitude about the Superman movie. evidently there was talk of Supes losing his powers, donning a battlesuit, and fighting crime in the sewers. 'merchandising-where the REAL movie money is made'.
At least we got Adam West voicing the Grey Ghost.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
adam west as the GG. again, ANOTHER kick ass thing for btas. good call, dhaise.

its like the show catered to the fans AND to people just wanted to be entertained. good shtuff all around.

------------------
i have spoken

200+ posts
200+ posts
Yeah, the stinking thinking on the animated series seemed more limited to the behind the scenes stuff (like forcing robin into every episode in the later seasons). The only other time (outside TAS)I can remember so many homages towards creative teams was during the Knightfall radio drama.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Yup you've heard my rant before then Robbie!
I loved the Holiday specials
Bruce NEVER seeing Its A Wonderful Life before was great...although I know a couple people who still haven't seen it!
The triology was also great!
The Joker's THree Stooges hencmen, anytime Ivy and Harley get to together its gotta be good the Clayface one was decent...was it just me or did Montoya look hot shes a cartoon Franta... remember... A CARTOON!
ROY is still waiting for the Hannukah episode though!

400+ posts
400+ posts
I've never seen Batman Beyond, but I loved BTAS... it rocked... a lot... sigh.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Dont waste your time on BB Shanks.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
BB isn't a bad show. its just not batman.

dini and timm, to me, are creative gods. and, i completely understand, respect, and reserve all that they have done. its really, actually, an incredible concept. creating an all new hero in an all new environment, building upon the existing history of an established legend. further tying the two are the fact that the two worlds co-exist.

stories aren't too bad, art is similar to btas, and, therefore, really good.

my gripe is the fact that its "batman" beyond. not "hero" beyond, or something. i like batman a lot, and, tuning into a show to see batman, but, getting this lil crap face just makes me mad, and, instantly puts me against the show.

btas, in its 3 incarnations was ingenious! simply a fantastic effort, on all fronts. replacing all that great work with this other show, to me, just is not justifiable.

if it was merely added to the cartoon lineup... then, i bet, the show would be received MUCH more warmly by persons otherwise very critical, including myself. but, replacing? ...terrible.

------------------
i have spoken

400+ posts
400+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by THE Franta:
Dont waste your time on BB Shanks.

I shant. Thanks for the tip, Franty Pie.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
god bless the cartoon network.

they now show all 3 versions of btas.
1) btas 2) adventures of batman and robin 3) the batman half of the batman/superman hour.

maybe high ratings on this will bring about more 'toons?

------------------
i have spoken

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
BB is called Bat-man of the future in the UK! It's because we're a bunch of Spazos!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I loved Batman Beyond, because they kept Bruce Wayne and the ties to the older series. Granted, he was more Robin Beyond than Batman Beyond, but still it was pretty good.

500+ posts
500+ posts
BB was very similar in tone to Superman TAS, just very action-oriented, but it lacked the majestic sense from Superman and the original Bats. However, it was quite a treat to get some original B: TAS in the Joker movie.

Now what about that whole Batman Wired thing supposedly being done by the Static Shock guys?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I loved B:TAS. In some respects, I thought it was a better realization of the core concepts and themes than the comics. It didn't suffer from rotating creative teams with different ideas on what Batman was. That's all but destroyed the character today.

100+ posts
100+ posts
"I loved B:TAS. In some respects, I thought it was a better realization of the core concepts and themes than the comics. It didn't suffer from rotating creative teams with different ideas on what Batman was. That's all but destroyed the character today."

Can I get a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
No, I'm just A-Man. Not plural. Just one guy.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Batman : The Animated Series was and still
is excellent!!!

I have seen MANY versions of Batman, and
this one is my favorite, it is THE best
Batman I have ever seen, and it is the
version I think of now when I think of
Batman.

Agreed - What made it so GREAT is the animation,
the writing, voice work, AND the fact that there
were no writers switching horses in midstream.
The latter is what can kill a great comic book
character, literally.

Favorite episodes : Batman's In My Basement.
This had the Penguin in it and was Great!

The Scarecrow one where Batman becomes Fearless
and loses his morals due to a Gas or drug.

The one with the anniversary of Bruce Wayne's
parents being gun down.

The First Tim Drake/Robin episode.

The Clayface episode with that little girl
he'd created, where Robin befriends her.

Others mentioned b4 here, The Ra's al Ghoul,
Jonah Hex, and Christmas episode.....

The episodes were done well in a consistant
manner. They will ALWAYS be good.

Batman Beyond : It was Good, but not
Batman: The Animated Series good.
It had it's moments. I liked it well enough.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Have you ever considered using the right side of this message board?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm good enough, I'm nice enough,
and, gosh darn it, people like me!

500+ posts
500+ posts
I love B:TAS. I remember the anticipation before the first episodes. Man those first ones were great. 'Specially the Man-Bat ones, Two-Face, and any episode with the Joker. The one where Bruce loses his memory is a personal fav. of mine. Other than the 'supervillian episodes, I like the crime boss ones. Rupert Thorne was one of those guys you loved to hate. Any episode with Nightwing also rocked, I love that character.

I'm one of those (few?) that likes Batman Beyond too. There really were some good episodes, most of which I downloaded. Return of the Joker was great stuff, as well as the JLU two-parter. There was one with Talia coming back for Bruce, more fun stuff there.

1 post
1 post
I loved the animated series. The artwork on B:TAS was amazing, with it's noirish feel and dark backrounds (interesting fact, the artwork was done on black paper because of the high amount of shadows, or at least that's what I've heard).
There were many amazing storylines in the New Bats Supes adventures, but the artwork lost alot. Sure it had Nightwing anf Tim Drake. But Catwoman having green skin is really not an option, and the feet in proportion to the heads always annoyed me. "Never Fear" had to be one of my favorite storylines.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Has anyone read that oversized book Paul Dini and Chip Kidd did a couple years ago? "Batman Animated" That thing is so sweet. I wish they would update it to include the new B:TAS episodes they missed, Batman Beyond, Superman:TAS, Justice League, and Teen Titans. Make it sort of a general "DC Animated" type thing.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I LOVED the old animated series, me and my bro would watch it all the time, and then came the NEW Animated Series. Were they making cut-backs or something? WB wasn't going bankrupt anytime soon, and they still aren't, but they fucked up the animation anyway and not to mention a whole lot of other stuff. Why? Why did the Joker have to look third rate, why did you have to include that snot-nose kid instead of keep Dick, why the hell didn't Batman's cape cover the entirety of his person, why did those stories suck shit, etc.? The list goes on.

Love the old series.
Fuck the new series.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I don't think the New series, but I think Old one is superior. It was way more dramatic, and the fact that the universe wasn't very expanded helped a lot. When I watched it for the first time, I didn't know that Harvey Dent was Two-Face, so that episode caught me by surprise. Me and my brother screamed like little girls when Harvey looks at his girlfriend at the end of the first part.

Link Copied to Clipboard