Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by MisterK:

And there you go again, dividing the entire pool of Wonder Woman fans into two camps, "Perez-people" and "dumb-guys". Why do so-many Perez WW fans do that? I don't want to be confrontational (not my nature) but it's irritating beyond belief! I don't like to be insulted.

<kassandra>
sorry, andrew. that really was not my intent. to be quite honest, i've never noticed this going on, it usually seemed that fans who came on later during the more superficial (to me) runs had this very attitude toward anyone who so much as mentioned george's name. i'd hardly call you dumb. i think it's just that during the perez run diana had a depth i'd never seen before in my young life. i've always loved that diana, as we were close in age, and she embodied many of my own beliefs, yet always challenged me to think beyond what i knew.
</kassandra>

The Potter-Perez-Wein conception of Wonder Woman, which is Jimenez' major infuence, is not the only one that is "sincere" or "deep", though it may be the self-important (Eric Luke's was in strong contention on that last point, but of course it was a very unearned self-importance.)

<kassandra>
gods, luke was an abysmal letdown. there have been moments of sincerity sprinkled throughout, but i tended to find the majority of stories to be a shallow waste of the trees felled for them. luke's run might not have been so bad had he not insulted both diana and her readers with that silly "papa, do i have a soul?" nonsense. ugh. still, better than byrne's mad-on for all things kirby shoved down our throats.
</kassandra>

I assume you are referring to the pre-Crisis Wonder Woman's infamous Achiles heel, the loss of her powers when her bracelets were bound by a man...well it's not there for the sake of humiliating or lessening Diana. You've got to look between the lines on these early stories, see levels beyond what was aimed at the young or casual reader. Think of how ironic it is! Think also that perhaps it was a plausible limit comming from Aphrodite, remembering that the Greek gods were very tough when it came to conditions for their gifts. When she warned the Amazons not to submit ever again to male domination, she meant it! She would make no exception either when it came to carrying out the punnishment. And anyway when it happenned to Diana, the result was almost always an oppurtunity to show Diana's cleverness in overcomming her condunum, though occassionally it also meant a Mental Radio distress call for Etta and the Holiday Girls. That was good in a way too, a chance for non-superpowered women to prove themselves.

</kassandra>
see, that's what i loved about the golden age stories: diana was all about proving to people, mainly sisters, that they could do so much more for themselves than they'd ever thought possible. one of my favorite scenes is the one with diana surrounded by young girls after stunning them by performing extraordinary feats. somewhere i actually have an enlargement of that scene framed. marston's infamous preoccupation with bondage didn't really strike me until i was much older, having read the ga stories as a child in the steinem hardcover.

what really bothered me was that diana seemed so bloody codependent for most of my younger days. sure, the spark remained, though most often dim to the point of darkness. it really seemed like she had writers who were afraid to show how strong she really could be, and then there was the whole bungling of her spirituality, which would have been paramount to one coming from her culture. yet another thing for me to love about perez- and he got the greek names right!
</kassandra>

And when you say that Marston never showed us what Amazon culture would be like, you're kidding, right? Marston did that every chance he got! It wasn't the cry-every-other-second kind of exploration, but then that wasn't the way he was portraying them. Very much unlike the super-stagnant Perez model, Marston's Amazons were obsessed with moving their culture forward, and with improving themselves. These Amazons weren't heartless of course--they were as compassionate as anyone could ask for--but they were tough as nails. Who's to say this isn't a realistic and layered characterization?

<kassandra>
what didn't ring true for me was their preoccupation with psuedo science and seeming utter ignorance of their more mystical natures. yes, they were always striving forward, but there was just something not quite right, even though the stories were great to read. marston and perez gave us two very different amazon societies, and having studied quite a bit about matrifocal culture (the little evidence of their existence not destroyed by the patriarchy) i found perez' take to be more resonant. don't get me wrong, i liked the golden age amazons, but their psuedo science just didn't feel right to me, whereas pleas to the gods, and using mysticism seemed more spot-on.
</kassandra>

Marston didn't get behind Diana's skin to see the "woman within"? Now you're really joking. Just because this Diana didn't break down into tears everytime someone lied to her doesn't mean we didn't get to see inside her. There was a very shrewd and understated exploration of her character going on all the time.

<kassandra>
perhaps it was the constant turmoil over not being able to marry steve until she'd eradicated crime that grew old for me. marston seemed to equate marriage (big surprise!) with the loss of one's goddess within, that is to say that i always got the impression that diana felt she would be less in someway should she actually marry steve. why i wonder are so many bothered by phil's sensitive portrayal of diana today? have they so quickly forgotten the strength she displayed during our worlds at war? she wouldn't allow herself to grieve until after the war had been won, not once becoming unfocussed. losing one's parents, not to mention a daughters loss of her mother, has to be the most devastating thing one can go through. yet through it all, diana persevered.

time to go work out- more later!

</kassandra>

Andrew

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
On the off-chance you don't know, to quote, you should use [quote-] (without the hyphen) and then [/quote] to close. I went to Franta's UBB Code school.

Haven't read Queen of Fables - heard it wasn't very good.

Anyone liking the current Golden Perfect arc in JLA?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
thanks, dave! years of list posting have done that to me.

queen of fables was actually better than the current jla arc, which has left me wanting. not so much for the art, but the story just doesn't feel right. we'll see where they were headed with it in time, one hopes.

-kassandra

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
On the off-chance you don't know, to quote, you should use [quote-] (without the hyphen) and then
to close. I went to Franta's UBB Code school.

Haven't read Queen of Fables - heard it wasn't very good.

Anyone liking the current Golden Perfect arc in JLA?[/QUOTE]

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Certainly the lasso breaking is contrary to the ongoing mythos...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
well, i just wish that the other editorial offices wouldn't attempt to muck about with diana's mythos every time the wind is blowing in a particular direction. such a thing should have been cleared with phil and the ww office. it just seems so disempowering for a figure of diana's stature. the lasso has held up to much worse, but i'm sure doing just an hours research in the dc library would have been too taxing on them.

-kassandra

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Certainly the lasso breaking is contrary to the ongoing mythos...

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I read her comic.......it's only so-so........She is hot pices of ass.........I would definitely like to see more of her.......and better writing.

300+ posts
300+ posts
The latest trade -
WW: Of Gods and Mortals

is an EXCELLENT ref guide to this character. The first issues of the Perez run.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
She is second to Superman in sheer power and her magical weapons would help her to lay the smack down on his ass. Plus he wouldn't hit a girl.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Captain Marvel could beat her .

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
wonder woman has certainly received a status upgrade over the past year or so

giant picture
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: KorporateThugg
I'm as big a Wonder Woman fan as any, but I believe that Wonder Woman's inclusion as one of the Big Three is as a result of paying homage to history.

She is one of only three super-heroes that have ben conitinuously published since her creation in 1941. She is the most recognizable super-heroine in existence and one of the few to ever grace the cover of a national publication.

In terms of sales and marketability, there have been several occasions where her comic was sellign very well (Perez, Loebs, Byrne) and every little girl used to want to be Wonder Woman, devouring her lunchboxes, costumes, underoos, etc.

The Superman and Batman phenonena was spurred on by their respective movie franchises, animated series, etc. Wonder Woman has not yet been given this type of attention.

Remember, there was a time when Superman and Batman could not touch the success or popularity of the X-Men or Spider-Man. DC decided to invet in these characters' untapped potential. They have yet to do this for Wonder Woman.

What could turn this around? If you goal is to make Wonder Woman a viable franchise, let Alan Moore, Neli Gaiman and some big name artist take over the comic, have Warner Bros develop an animated series.

And please...please...don't have Sandra Bullock star in the movie!

*LOL*

lol!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
wonder woman has certainly received a status upgrade over the past year or so

I missed something?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
"status upgrade" means they started drawing her with bigger tits.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Excellent. I'm looking forward to her "iconic upgrade" (cameltoe and nipplage).

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard