Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180417 2003-07-23 4:10 PM
Lor Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
I thought it be a neat idea to have a thread composed of usless comic book 'did you knows.'

Please do add. [biiiig grin]

Did you know..

That Wonder Women was created by the same guy who invented the lie detector..

That the saying "With great power, comes great responsibilities" was created by Stan Lee of Marvel..

That that saying was frist said by Spiderman..

The Fantastic Four was Marvels first group super hero comic..

The creators of Superman sued DC comics for the rights of their charactor back..

They where also fired by DC comics..

[biiiig grin]

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Lor:
That the saying "With great power, comes great responsibilities" was created by Stan Lee of Marvel..

and used by harold in a conversation to his young son, scott, when scott learned that their family is actually a pack of werewolves.

a poignant scene from "teen wolf" ...written by former superman author, jeph loeb.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Superman comes from another planet!

Flash can run real fast!

The Bat-Man dresses like a Bat!

Wonder Woman is a woman!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Lor:

Stan Lee can't even remember steali...... coming up with that line.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
...Superman was created by a Canadian, which makes me cring everytime he's posed holding/wraped in an American flag...

25+ posts
25+ posts
Oct. 18, 1896: Richard Outcault’s "Yellow Kid," recognized as the first major modern comic-strip character, first appeared in the New York Journal. In late 1902, William Randolph Hearst’s New York Journal released five 50¢ books with cardboard covers reprinting Sunday comic strips in full color, referring to them as "the best comic books that have ever been published."

May 8, 1940: Chicago Daily News Literary Editor Sterling North denounced comic books as "a poisonous mushroom growth of the last two years," adding that comics were "guilty of a cultural slaughter of the innocents."

March 1948: In a Town Meeting of the Air radio broadcast, Saturday Review of Literature drama critic John Mason Brown described comic books as "the marijuana of the nursery; the bane of the bassinet; the horror of the house; the curse of the kids; and a threat to the future."

September-October 1956: Showcase with this cover date (issue #4) reintroduced The Flash, a DC super-hero from the ’40s. The issue marked the start of The Silver Age.

Fall 1961: Fantastic Four #1 was published with a cover date of November; it was the start of the so-called "Marvel Age of Comics."

July 1990: Spider-Man #1 by Todd McFarlane set what was the highest recorded paid circulation for a comic book to that point. The first printing had sales of 2,350,000. When all editions were added, the total paid circulation was approximately 2,650,000 copies.

July 1991: X-Men #1 by Chris Claremont, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams beat the paid circulation record set by X-Force #1. Marvel released the issue in five editions with variant covers. Estimated paid circulation was approximately 7,500,000.

Nov. 17, 1992: DC shipped between 2.5 million and 3 million copies of Superman #75, featuring the death of Superman. They vanished from stores, as the issue brought more new customers into comics stores than ever before. In Detroit alone, more than 175,000 copies sold in one day.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by klinton:
...Superman was created by a Canadian, which makes me cring everytime he's posed holding/wraped in an American flag...

Half right. Joe Shuster was Canadian, from Toronto; but Jerry Siegle was American.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by thedoctor:
Half right. Joe Shuster was Canadian, from Toronto; but Jerry Siegle was American.

But we all know who the inteligent, creative one out of that duo was... [biiiig grin]

25+ posts
25+ posts
Marvel will be replacing The Thing with a donkey at my request!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
quote:
quote:

But we all know who the inteligent, creative one out of that duo was... [biiiig grin]
Shuster used to get Siegle coffee and walk his dog for him......that's about it. Other than that the guy was useless........too much Molson. [no no no]

Lor Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
Did you know..

There were alot of S&M in the old 50's Wounder Women comics. Only the people back then didnt realize it or if they did, they ignored it...

Wonder Womens creator William Moulton Marston, modeled the Super Hero after his wife...

Marston wrote her adventures to the very end of his life...

Spiderman was the first comic to deal with the 60's drug issues and was almost censored for it...

The government sued the comic book industry because they felt comics where Anti-American back in the late 50's earlie 60's (I thiink, not sure on dates there)...

100+ posts
100+ posts
Kilgore, the points about people bad-mouthing the industry in the 1940s are often forgotten by most. Call it "the smoking gun"-- all the anti-comics hysteria of the 1950's DID NOT start overnight. And according to an article I read in the last couple years (it was either COMIC BOOK ARTIST or ALTER EGO) the movie & book industries were JEALOUS of comics' high sales figures, and determined to do whatever they could to ELIMINATE the competition. (Talk about UN-AMERICAN!!!!!) Much of the crapola spewed out by Frederic Wertham was PUT into his hands by people connected with big corporations who would benefit from the destruction of comic-books as an industry! (Put another way-- very little happens "by accident".)

100+ posts
100+ posts
"With great power, comes great responsibilities"

Okay, just for the hell of it... HAS ANY OTHER comic-book character been known for saying this-- at all??? (Somehow I kinda doubt it... but I could be wrong.) To me it just seems to have become an overused catch-phrase raised to supposedly legendary status, when it just one more clever bit of dialogue originally. (Like "It's clobberin' time!")

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Did you know that Batman was the first superhero to get permaently dumped by his love interest?

Back in the day, every superhero hooked up with their female co-star (eventually - but there was a sense that "yeah, they'll get married and setle down eventually). While Batman and Julie were actually engaged, she broke it off in DETECTIVE COMICS #49.

Of course, The Cat (later the Catwoman) was introduced a few months after Julie, and we've seen where that's gone (and if you ask me, it's about damn time).

Lor Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
"With great power, comes great responsibilities"

Okay, just for the hell of it... HAS ANY OTHER comic-book character been known for saying this-- at all??? (Somehow I kinda doubt it... but I could be wrong.) To me it just seems to have become an overused catch-phrase raised to supposedly legendary status, when it just one more clever bit of dialogue originally. (Like "It's clobberin' time!")

Um yeah, I think Pa Kent said it to Clark as a young boy.

right? anybody--anybody know?

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Marvel and DC jointly own the registered trade mark for the word "superhero" (I've seen the agreement).

This is why Alan Moore uses "science hero" in the ABC line, and why no one else uses the term "superhero" in their comics.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by PJP:
quote:
quote:

Shuster used to get Siegle coffee and walk his dog for him......that's about it. Other than that the guy was useless........too much Molson. [no no no]
Bullshit! Shuster was the talent, Siegle rode on his coattails!
Shuster was like Grant Morrison, Siegle was like Mark Millar.

25+ posts
25+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Marvel and DC jointly own the registered trade mark for the word "superhero" (I've seen the agreement).

This is why Alan Moore uses "science hero" in the ABC line, and why no one else uses the term "superhero" in their comics.

We are thinking of letting DC have sole rights & changing our characters into superdonkeys.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
Kilgore, the points about people bad-mouthing the industry in the 1940s are often forgotten by most. Call it "the smoking gun"-- all the anti-comics hysteria of the 1950's DID NOT start overnight. And according to an article I read in the last couple years (it was either COMIC BOOK ARTIST or ALTER EGO) the movie & book industries were JEALOUS of comics' high sales figures, and determined to do whatever they could to ELIMINATE the competition. (Talk about UN-AMERICAN!!!!!) Much of the crapola spewed out by Frederic Wertham was PUT into his hands by people connected with big corporations who would benefit from the destruction of comic-books as an industry! (Put another way-- very little happens "by accident".)

I think it was also mentioned in the History Channel's Superheroes Unmasked special that movie ticket sales were suffering because of comics.

Which makes sense. Weren't movie tickets only a dime back in the 30's?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:

His creators were also Jewish, so why doesn't Superman wear a yarmulke and payes? [wink]

Lor Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
One of them was from the US.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Danny:
quote:
Originally posted by PJP:
quote:
quote:

Bullshit! Shuster was the talent, Siegle rode on his coattails!
Shuster was like Grant Morrison, Siegle was like Mark Millar.

What about Siegel?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
In order for Joe Quesada to pencil one issue of a comic book, he has to fuck at least 20 donkeys.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Snapman:
quote:

His creators were also Jewish, so why doesn't Superman wear a yarmulke and payes? [wink]
Because he can't be circumcised?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
yeah dude...nice elseworlds story there! Superman:Dreidel. The whole story revolves around Clark Superman being ousted as "unclean" by the Jewish community since he can't get circumsized. Lex Luthorman is a super wealthy Jewish guy who wants to get rid of Clark Superman because Lois Laneman really likes Clark and not Lex. There is then a series of events where Perry Whiteman, Jimmy Olsonman, Lois Laneman, Lana Langman, and Lori Lamarisman all try to circumsize Clark, resulting in failed hilaritude. While being stoned, none of the rocks hurt Clark, except one green glowing one. It is then that Bruce Batman deducts that this green rock is the only thing that can hurt Clark, and so they fashion a sharp instrument out of it and circumsize Clark Superman, making him "clean." Oh, and Lex Luthorman trips and dies or something and Clark gets Lois. Everyone's happy, and the end. Genious [biiiig grin]

1 post
1 post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapman:
quote:

Because he can't be circumcised?
Just give Batman some prep time...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Batman has a butler.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Did you know...

William Charles Moulten, Wonder Woman's creator and the first established author per se, was a sick puppy? He lived w/ his wife, his lover (a former student) and the children he had w/ both women! The former student actually wore "bracelets of submission"! I see Wonder Women in a whole new light now!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by I'm Not Mister Mxypltk:
What about Siegel?

I can take it or leave it. The Futuresmiths and the new Supergirl are stupid.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
anti-semite!

Lor Offline OP
3000+ posts
OP Offline
3000+ posts
Did you know..

Miss. Kyle's father was a drunken abuser who left her mother. Soon after that her mother abandoned Miss Kitty to the streets.

Link Copied to Clipboard