Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Yes, Newsarama again. Woo! Mike Ploog! [woooOOOOoooo!]

DeMATTEIS, PLOOG TEAM FOR NEW CODE 6 SERIES, ABADAZAD
At their panel Thursday at Comic Con International, CrossGen announced a new, December-launching Code 6 series, Abadazad, written by J.M. DeMatteis, and illustrated by Mike Ploog. The comic will mark the first monthly comic Ploog has drawn in over 20 years.

The series follows Kate, a teenage girl, riddled with guilt over the mysterious disappearance of her younger brother five years previous. After all this time, Kate receives a glimmer of hope, a fainr clue that her brother might be alive, sending her on a dangerous journey full dangerous trials.

“Abadazad is a dream project that I’ve nurtured for years,” DeMatties said in a release. “It’s a chance to tell a rich, character-driven fantasy tale in the tradition of L. Frank Baum, J.M. Barrie, C.S. Lewis, Dr. Seuss, Madeleine L’Engle, and so many other great writers whose work has touched and inspired me – and stuffed my children’s heads full of wonderful dreams. A story that can nurture an eight years old imagination, and be accessible to adults, as well.

“At a time when so many comics seem to be about limiting the audience, about playing to the familiar, about creating an ‘adult’ and ‘edgy’ image, I am delighted to find that CrossGen understands the need for material accessible to a broad audience,” continued DeMatteis. “I’m also happy to see that the company is wildly enthusiastic about finding new and innovative ways to reach that audience.”

100+ posts
100+ posts
Well this caught my eye. I was just re-reading some MIKE PLOOG-illustrated stories he did for Warren in the early 70s (before he came to Marvel for more money like many did), and I was wondering if he was doing ANYTHING comics-related at all in the last decade or three.

What was shocking, looking at those early-70's stories-- something I never noticed the first time around-- was how his style was SO heavily influenced by WILL EISNER. I mean, if you didn't know, you'd SWEAR that Eisner did the art on those things!! It's spooky...

I'm looking forward to digging out the few episodes of GHOST RIDER that he did-- Mike essentially designed the character of the flaming-skull-headed biker from Hell, who got unfortunately passed around to far too many artists in far too short a time (Sutton, Mooney, Tuska, Robbins, Byrne, Kane, Heck, Perlin-- an all-too-typical problem with Marvel back then-- or even now, for that matter).

200+ posts
200+ posts
I so loved Ploog's artwork on the old Guardians trading card game...
Check out some cool artwork on Keith Parkinson Galleries
May take a while to load...

Link Copied to Clipboard