Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1012730 2008-10-05 1:26 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Writing in the New York Daily News, John M. Murtagh recounts how Ayers' Weathermen tried to murder his family:
  • During the April 16 debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, moderator George Stephanopoulos brought up “a gentleman named William Ayers,” who “was part of the Weather Underground in the 1970s. They bombed the Pentagon, the Capitol, and other buildings. He’s never apologized for that.” Stephanopoulos then asked Obama to explain his relationship with Ayers. Obama’s answer: “The notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was eight years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn’t make much sense, George.” Obama was indeed only eight in early 1970. I was only nine then, the year Ayers’s Weathermen tried to murder me.

In February 1970, my father, a New York State Supreme Court justice, was presiding over the trial of the so-called “Panther 21,” members of the Black Panther Party indicted in a plot to bomb New York landmarks and department stores. Early on the morning of February 21, as my family slept, three gasoline-filled firebombs exploded at our home on the northern tip of Manhattan, two at the front door and the third tucked neatly under the gas tank of the family car. (Today, of course, we’d call that a car bomb.) A neighbor heard the first two blasts and, with the remains of a snowman I had built a few days earlier, managed to douse the flames beneath the car. That was an act whose courage I fully appreciated only as an adult, an act that doubtless saved multiple lives that night.

I still recall, as though it were a dream, thinking that someone was lifting and dropping my bed as the explosions jolted me awake, and I remember my mother’s pulling me from the tangle of sheets and running to the kitchen where my father stood. Through the large windows overlooking the yard, all we could see was the bright glow of flames below. We didn’t leave our burning house for fear of who might be waiting outside. The same night, bombs were thrown at a police car in Manhattan and two military recruiting stations in Brooklyn. Sunlight, the next morning, revealed three sentences of blood-red graffiti on our sidewalk: FREE THE PANTHER 21; THE VIET CONG HAVE WON; KILL THE PIGS.

For the next 18 months, I went to school in an unmarked police car. My mother, a schoolteacher, had plainclothes detectives waiting in the faculty lounge all day. My brother saved a few bucks because he didn’t have to rent a limo for the senior prom: the NYPD did the driving. We all made the best of the odd new life that had been thrust upon us, but for years, the sound of a fire truck’s siren made my stomach knot and my heart race. In many ways, the enormity of the attempt to kill my entire family didn’t fully hit me until years later, when, a father myself, I was tucking my own nine-year-old John Murtagh into bed.

Though no one was ever caught or tried for the attempt on my family’s life, there was never any doubt who was behind it. Only a few weeks after the attack, the New York contingent of the Weathermen blew themselves up making more bombs in a Greenwich Village townhouse. The same cell had bombed my house, writes Ron Jacobs in The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground. And in late November that year, a letter to the Associated Press signed by Bernardine Dohrn, Ayers’s wife, promised more bombings.

As the association between Obama and Ayers came to light, it would have helped the senator a little if his friend had at least shown some remorse. But listen to Ayers interviewed in the New York Times on September 11, 2001, of all days: “I don’t regret setting bombs. I feel we didn’t do enough.” Translation: “We meant to kill that judge and his family, not just damage the porch.” When asked by the Times if he would do it all again, Ayers responded: “I don’t want to discount the possibility.”

Though never a supporter of Obama, I admired him for a time for his ability to engage our imaginations, and especially for his ability to inspire the young once again to embrace the political system. Yet his myopia in the last few months has cast a new light on his “politics of change.” Nobody should hold the junior senator from Illinois responsible for his friends’ and supporters’ violent terrorist acts. But it is fair to hold him responsible for a startling lack of judgment in his choice of mentors, associates, and friends, and for showing a callous disregard for the lives they damaged and the hatred they have demonstrated for this country. It is fair, too, to ask what those choices say about Obama’s own beliefs, his philosophy, and the direction he would take our nation.

At the conclusion of his 2001 Times interview, Ayers said of his upbringing and subsequent radicalization: “I was a child of privilege and I woke up to a world on fire.”

Funny thing, Bill: one night, so did I.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
So Pro in all seriousness do you really believe Ayers was just and activist?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Murtagh survived the bombing so, under the Promod theory of jurisprudence, no actual crime was committed.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
It was just a college prank!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
And, under the MEM theory of moral equivalence, going on the radio show of a guy who did time for a third rate burglary is the same as having a terrorist as a friend and mentor.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I can also say I've been consistent with McCain & plan to do so if he winds up winning the Republican primary. I like him now & I'll like him in '08.

Originally Posted By: the G-man on 02/17/07

Bullshit. You'll be crawling all over yourself to attack him. And build up support for the Democratic nominee. Your record precedes you my friend.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
And, under the MEM theory of moral equivalence, going on the radio show of a guy who did time for a third rate burglary is the same as having a terrorist as a friend and mentor.

I suppose one should take into account that Liddy didn't carry out his plots to kidnap, kill & firebomb. That just makes it all better doesn't it?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I don't think I understand you, you are comparing a Terrorist, Ayers whom admitted to bombings and founding a terrorist group that has killed people, whom Obama launched his career in his home, with G. Gordon Liddy a to bit crook and con artist?

Wow talk about delusional.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Again, you dodge the real point.

McCain and Liddy simply do not, and never had, the same close relationship that Obama had with Ayers.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
MEM 101: if he tries the shift the topic to the Republicans it's a tacit admission that he knows his party is wrong on said topic.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

I suppose one should take into account that Liddy didn't carry out his plots to kidnap, kill & firebomb. That just makes it all better doesn't it?

You're absolutely right. We should start punishing people for what they think.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

You're absolutely right. We should start punishing people for what they think.

It's already against the law to plot killing, kidnapping or firebombing.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
MEM 101: if he tries the shift the topic to the Republicans it's a tacit admission that he knows his party is wrong on said topic.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Plots to kill, kidnap & firebomb are acceptable as long as they donate money to McCain.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
fair play!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Hillary Clinton on William Ayers:
  • Senator Obama served on a board with Mr. Ayers for a period of time, the Woods Foundation, which was a paid directorship position.

And, if I'm not mistaken, that relationship with Mr. Ayers on this board continued after 9/11 and after his reported comments, which were deeply hurtful to people in New York and, I would hope, to every American, because they were published on 9/11, and he said that he was just sorry they hadn't done more.

And what they did was set bombs. And in some instances, people died. So it is -- I think it is, again, an issue that people will be asking about.

It should be fun watching MEM spin this. Will he throw Hillary under the bus for Obama or will he manufacture some obscure reason why it's okay for Hillary to question Obama having a terrorist pal but not for Republicans? Maybe he'll claim it was okay for Hillary to criticise him because it was simply her predicting what those 'wascally wepublicans' would do.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You cut the last part out G-man. Hillary went on to say...
 Quote:
And I have no doubt -- I know Senator Obama's a good man and I respect him greatly, but I think that this is an issue that certainly the Republicans will be raising.

And it goes to this larger set of concerns about how we are going to run against John McCain.

and now that McCain is sliding in the polls it looks like he's going to focus on Ayers more. That's ok but as I pointed out it works both ways & McCain has his Ayers ala Liddy.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
except for the fact that most Americans dont look at crooks the same way they look at terrorists. Face it MEM it's only the far left radicals that think Ayers is a college prankster.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Hearing MEM's bullshit prompted me to donate more money today to McCain's campaign. I still know that on election day all these fucking losers that say they are going to vote for Obama won't go and vote.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Maybe he'll claim it was okay for Hillary to criticise him because it was simply her predicting what those 'wascally wepublicans' would do.

Looks like he went with that option. Predictable as ever.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
You can set your watch to him!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
except for the fact that most Americans dont look at crooks the same way they look at terrorists. Face it MEM it's only the far left radicals that think Ayers is a college prankster.

Liddy activities go beyond being a simple crook though. (plots for kidnapping, killing, firebombing) That's something I don't think is cool with most of us either.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
then your wrong, Liddy's past has been poured over by the American press for over 20 years. people have evaluated the facts and opinions, and people in general (im not talking neocons who think he is a saint, or liberals who think he is the devil) think he is an opportunist crook. you can bring his name up a million times and people already have a preconceived notion of what/who Liddy is, it wont change. Also people understand appearing on a radio talk show and launching you career in someones homes are different things. So repeat it if it helps ease your conscience, but honestly your preaching to yourself and the whomods of the world.

Irwin Schwab #1013013 2008-10-05 11:04 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
then your wrong, Liddy's past has been poured over by the American press for over 20 years. people have evaluated the facts and opinions, and people in general (im not talking neocons who think he is a saint, or liberals who think he is the devil) think he is an opportunist crook. you can bring his name up a million times and people already have a preconceived notion of what/who Liddy is, it wont change. Also people understand appearing on a radio talk show and launching you career in someones homes are different things. So repeat it if it helps ease your conscience, but honestly your preaching to yourself and the whomods of the world.

I remembered his watergate connection but not the various plots kill kidnap & firebomb his fellow Americans. Liddy also had a fundraiser at his home for McCain. You may be right about Liddy then again considering that the McCain campaign is now really playing up Ayers it might come up to bite them in the butt.

BTW my conscience is just fine since I've never condoned the things either Ayers or Libby have done. Not everyone on this board can say that.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1013015 2008-10-05 11:06 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Where did Liddy admit to these things, I'm not saying he didn't I'm just curious to your source?

Irwin Schwab #1013035 2008-10-05 11:22 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Where did Liddy admit to these things, I'm not saying he didn't I'm just curious to your source?

Liddy wrote a book about his life including his various plots to kidnap, kill & firebomb his fellow Americans. He's a lot more radical than what I reallized.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1013036 2008-10-05 11:26 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you read this book?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Canada Free Press:
  • While Barack Obama’s friends and supporters in the news media downplay his friendship and business relationship with former terrorist and Marxist university professor Willam Ayers, one aspect of the Ayers terrorism saga that’s totally ignored is his reputation as a cop-killer.

For instance, in Nyack, New York, Ayers’ terrorist group the Weather Underground launched an armored-car robbery that left two Nyack, NY police officers—Officer Waverly Brown and Sergeant Ed O’Grady—mortally wounded. In addition, the Brinks armored-car driver, Peter Paige was also shot to death by the Weathermen.

Quite simply, Ayers’ group of killers left five children without fathers as a result of the brutal and vicious armored car robbery.

Progressives for Obama signatories include Weathermen Howard Machtinger, Jeff Jones, Steve Tappis and Mark Rudd. Machtinger helped author the the mission statement of the Weathermen that called for revolutionaries within the United States to wage a ‘people’s war’ and attack from within. The government would fall and ‘world communism’ eventually would be instituted.

In addition to the New York police officers killed, a 1970 pipe bomb in San Francisco set by the group killed another police officer and critically wounded yet another cop. When given the opportunity to serve on boards and appear at press conferences with Ayers, an up-and-coming politician named Barack Obama jumped at the chance.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
this doesnt compare to watergate!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I'm sure there's a picture of John McCain starting his career in Liddy's living room somewhere.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
5000+ posts 10/05/08 09:25 PM Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: An Ayers Victim Speaks

MEM is like a trained seal. If you post something to a thread about a Democrat he logs right back in to respond. He must sit by his computer all day.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
5000+ posts 10/05/08 09:25 PM Reading a post
Thread: An Ayers Victim Speaks

MEM is like a trained seal. If you post something to a thread about a Democrat he logs right back in to respond. He must sit by his computer all day.

5000+ posts 10/05/08 09:27 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Ayers

Irwin Schwab #1013093 2008-10-06 12:32 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
you read this book?

I read some of the pages on Amazon. He really did plot those things out.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1013095 2008-10-06 12:33 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
link?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
how does he keep the balls up there?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
MEM has a lot of experience with balls against his nose.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
5000+ posts 10/05/08 09:41 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: McCain's terrorist pal

Matter-eater Man #1013114 2008-10-06 1:21 AM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
you read this book?

I read some of the pages on Amazon. He really did plot those things out.

was it in novella form?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I'm actually pretty sure that Liddy did plot all those things during his time in the Nixon 'dirty tricks squad.' I'm equally sure that McCain and he never sat on the board of a voter fraud organization together and that McCain didn't launch his career in Liddy's home.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard