Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
 Originally Posted By: whomod
...[youtube][/youtube]... ...fucking neocons... ...please notice me... [youtube]olbermann is a golden god[/youtube]... ...lame duck smirking chimp... ...fuck, I hate myself... ...agree with me! please?... ...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
...[youtube][/youtube]... ...fucking neocons... ...please notice me... [youtube]olbermann is a golden god[/youtube]... ...lame duck smirking chimp... ...fuck, I hate myself... ...agree with me! please?... ...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
No Rex, it's

Straight from the horses mouth, that bastion of right wingnuttiness, the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Republicans are bracing for double-digit losses in the House and the prospect of four or five losses in the Senate, as they fight to hold a wide range of districts and states normally seen as safe for them, from Alaska and Colorado to Mississippi and North Carolina.

The feared setback for Republicans, coming two years after their 2006 drubbing, is unusual for several reasons. It is rare for a party to lose two election cycles in a row. And many expect losses even if their presidential candidate, John McCain, captures the White House....

"It's like 2006 never ended for Republicans," said Jennifer Duffy, of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, which predicts Democratic gains of 10 to 20 seats in the House and four to seven in the Senate....

The dynamics at work: voters' sharply negative views of President Bush and dismal feelings about the direction of the country, including rising oil and gas prices, a weak economy and fallout from the housing crisis. Even though Congress continues to register low approval ratings, voters overall appear to prefer putting Democrats in charge....

Sen. John Ensign of Nevada, who is heading Senate Republicans' re-election effort, recently told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that it would be "a great night" if his party can hold Democratic pickups in the Senate to three or four seats in November.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Whomod: left wing spam bot

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
From the Wall Street Journal/NBC poll. 19 point approval rating. Trending up from the 15 point margin Dems had when they took back the Congress in 2006. But more importantly:

Question 12 (on page 18 of the poll): What is your preference for the outcome of this year's congressional elections--a Congress controlled by Republicans or a Congress controlled by Democrats?

Republican-controlled Congress....... 33
Democrat-controlled Congress ......... 52

Americans prefer a Democratic congress by a whopping 19 points!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
whomod. fucks. little. boys.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
In Florida’s Economic Pain, Obama Gains Ground

Article Tools Sponsored By
By DAMIEN CAVE
Published: October 3, 2008

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. — Jim Piccillo lost his job as a bank vice president in August, applied for food stamps to support his two young daughters and swore off a life of loyalty to the Republican Party. He now volunteers here in Pasco County for Senator Barack Obama of Illinois.

Madeline Aquanno’s change of heart came more recently. Two weeks ago, she said, she had planned to vote for Senator John McCain of Arizona, the Republican, who impressed her with his knowledge of the world. But as the economy began to scare her more than terrorism, she reconsidered.

“Obama is more for the people,” she said, near the pool at her middle-class retirement community in Broward County. “I’m worried about the jobs that are being lost, for my son, my daughter, my granddaughter. You have to look down the line.”

Here in a swing state of severe economic hurt — a leader in foreclosures where empty offices now litter strip malls — there are signs that Mr. Obama is gaining ground. In interviews and surveys, voters across Florida said the debate in Washington over how to fix the credit crisis had fueled frustration with the Bush administration and pushed them away from the Republican ticket.

The four most recent polls from late September put Mr. Obama ahead of Mr. McCain by three to eight percentage points, a sharp swing from the previous six weeks, when Mr. McCain led by as much as 10 points.

Also in Mr. Obama’s favor, Florida as of August had 498,000 more registered Democrats than Republicans, up from an advantage of 373,000 four years ago. ....

Mr. Obama seems to have made some headway. At Christina’s, a family restaurant in downtown New Port Richey, the red leather stools at the counter held both Republicans tried-and-true, and Republicans, like Chris Hart, 48, who had begun to sour on Mr. McCain.

“Every time you turn around, he flips,” Mr. Hart said. A front-desk clerk at a local Y.M.C.A, he said he was also motivated by his need for health insurance, which had recently forced him to buy antibiotics at pet stores because it was cheaper than the pharmacy.

While not sure that Democrats could get him the coverage he needed, Mr. Hart said he wished Mr. McCain focused more consistently on the issue. “I was in the Navy, in aviation like John McCain, so I feel like I’m getting punched by one of my own,” Mr. Hart said.

For Mr. Piccillo, 34, skepticism arrived with the Republican convention. After voting twice for George W. Bush, he said he was especially turned off when Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York mayor, mocked Mr. Obama’s early work as a community organizer.

“Those are the people I’m looking to for help,” said Mr. Piccillo, a former mortgage banker who said he had sent out 1,500 résumés without finding a job. ...

...Sherry Kruta, a Democrat and former Clinton supporter from Highland Beach who only a month ago said she might vote for Mr. McCain. “The thought of her maybe being the president scares me to death,” Ms. Kruta said.

Fear, in fact — of Mr. Obama or Ms. Palin — seems to be widespread. At Wynmoor Village, the retirement community in Coconut Creek where Ms. Aquanno said she was leaning away from Mr. McCain because his snap judgments made him seem “more like Bush....

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
From the Wall Street Journal/NBC poll. 19 point approval rating. Trending up from the 15 point margin Dems had when they took back the Congress in 2006. But more importantly:

Question 12 (on page 18 of the poll): What is your preference for the outcome of this year's congressional elections--a Congress controlled by Republicans or a Congress controlled by Democrats?

Republican-controlled Congress....... 33
Democrat-controlled Congress ......... 52

Americans prefer a Democratic congress by a whopping 19 points!

congratulations comrade you win.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
question 12 on page 18? geebus. that's some dedication to a survey.

giant picture
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
say what you will about whomod, he knows more about pole than anyone here!

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
whomod content User some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts Sun Oct 12 2008 02:45 PM Making a new reply
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Re: Another Crappy Day for the GOP.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Newspaper endorsements are starting. Not sure they have much of an impact with voters, but they do capture the sentiment about the candidates and can be illuminating. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch endorsed Obama and McCain before the February 5th Missouri primary. In the general election, the paper is strongly behind Obama -- and very disappointed in McCain.

Quote:
Over the past nine months, Mr. Obama, the junior senator from Illinois, has emerged as the only truly transformative candidate in the race. In the crucible that is a presidential campaign, his intellect, his temperament and equanimity under pressure consistently have been impressive. He has surrounded himself with smart, capable advisers who have helped him refine thorough, nuanced policy positions.

In a word, Mr. Obama has been presidential.

Meanwhile, Mr. McCain, the senior senator from Arizona, became the incredible shrinking man.
He shrank from his principled stands in favor of a humane immigration policy. He shrank from his universal condemnation of torture and his condemnation of the politics of smear.

He even shrank from his own campaign slogan, “County First,” by selecting the least qualified running mate since the Swedenborgian shipbuilder Arthur Sewall ran as William Jennings Bryan’s No. 2 in 1896.

"Shrinking man." Nasty, but true.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
There are some fun articles out today, which show the growing panic in the GOP about November 4th. We as Democrats have waited a long time to see the Republicans squirm like this. Over the next 23 days, we've got to finish the job and make their worst electoral fears become reality.

Across the country, Republicans are both trashing and abandoning their nominees. I'm seeing GOPers trying to assign blame solely to McCain. But, it's been Republican policies that have gotten us into this mess. And, their party's leaders have no ideas for getting us out. John McCain is like most other Republicans. They all share the blame. It's finally caught up with them.

Today's Los Angeles Times has yet another article with Republicans expressing displeasure, anger and frustration with McCain and Palin -- and fear about their election prospects:

Quote:
The financial crisis has turned the last three weeks into a crucial and possibly decisive period in the presidential contest -- a time when many Americans have taken a new look at each candidate and then moved toward Democrat Barack Obama.

Like a wave, the crisis has washed over other factors in a contest that had seemed to be a dead heat, moving enough voters to give the senator from Illinois a consistent lead in polls nationwide and in key battleground states, including Florida, Virginia and Ohio, where President Bush secured his reelection four years ago.

Republican officials in several states say they fear voters have judged McCain and Palin harshly in how they reacted to the financial downturn. Obama, meanwhile, now looks like an acceptable alternative to many voters who had been hesitant to pull the lever for him because of concerns about his untraditional background and relatively recent appearance in national affairs.

"If you looked at some of the decisions that Obama's made, and the consistency and levelness that he's had in these trying times over the past few weeks, in my opinion he's blown McCain away," said ["Florida salesman and staunch Republican" Mark] Wagner, 47, of suburban Tampa.

In addition, Wagner disapproves of Palin's refusal to cooperate with a state legislative investigation that found she had abused her power as Alaska governor, and he calls McCain's recent attacks on Obama's character and past associations "disgusting."

"McCain was supposed to be the steady hand with experience," he said.

Some Republicans report hearing of similar conversions in Ohio, Indiana and North Carolina, and they fear that the change is irreversible. Voters who have been blaming Bush and Republicans in general for the financial crisis now seem to be tying it around McCain's neck as well.

Rep. Mark Souder, an Indiana Republican, said he was looking at an "Obama tide" in his district and wondering about his own reelection: "Can I withstand a firestorm?"

For some perspective, Souder is a seven-term Republican congressman. He won his last race by a 54% - 46% margin. In 2004, his district voted for George Bush by 68% - 31% margin. In that district, the GOP congressman is worried about the "Obama tide." If it's happening in Souder's district, it's more than a tide, it's a tidal wave.

The GOP base is demoralized. They sense defeat. They're afraid. They're on the ropes. What should we do? HIT THEM HARDER. \:lol\:

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Newspaper endorsements are starting. Not sure they have much of an impact with voters, but they do capture the sentiment about the candidates and can be illuminating. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch endorsed Obama and McCain before the February 5th Missouri primary. In the general election, the paper is strongly behind Obama -- and very disappointed in McCain.

Quote:
Over the past nine months, Mr. Obama, the junior senator from Illinois, has emerged as the only truly transformative candidate in the race. In the crucible that is a presidential campaign, his intellect, his temperament and equanimity under pressure consistently have been impressive. He has surrounded himself with smart, capable advisers who have helped him refine thorough, nuanced policy positions.

In a word, Mr. Obama has been presidential.

Meanwhile, Mr. McCain, the senior senator from Arizona, became the incredible shrinking man.
He shrank from his principled stands in favor of a humane immigration policy. He shrank from his universal condemnation of torture and his condemnation of the politics of smear.

He even shrank from his own campaign slogan, “County First,” by selecting the least qualified running mate since the Swedenborgian shipbuilder Arthur Sewall ran as William Jennings Bryan’s No. 2 in 1896.

"Shrinking man." Nasty, but true.
don't fucking judge me that pool was filled with cold water.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

PARADE magazine has a huge readership, and they just told the country that if you make under $112,000 you save more with Obama, and that no one making under $227,000 will have their taxes raised. That completely contradicts Palin's and McCain's lies. Read the entire thing in today's PARADE in your Sunday paper.

Parade is the largest, most widely read magazine in the U.S. So this is good -- if people actually read the column headings...

I've been told that Parade mag is a conservative magazine. I've always thought so as well just based on most of the MOR content and celebrities included in their mag that middle America likes. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that is awesome that they are writing positive things about Obama's plan.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
what about household incomes?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

PARADE magazine has a huge readership, and they just told the country that if you make under $112,000 you save more with Obama, and that no one making under $227,000 will have their taxes raised. That completely contradicts Palin's and McCain's lies. Read the entire thing in today's PARADE in your Sunday paper.

Parade is the largest, most widely read magazine in the U.S. So this is good -- if people actually read the column headings...

I've been told that Parade mag is a conservative magazine. I've always thought so as well just based on most of the MOR content and celebrities included in their mag that middle America likes. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that is awesome that they are writing positive things about Obama's plan.

You know what else is widely read? The National Enquirer.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Parade is an advertising supplement. It has the same credibility as a k-mart ad.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
PARADE magazine has a huge readership, and they just told the country that if you make under $112,000 you save more with Obama, and that no one making under $227,000 will have their taxes raised...

Quote:
the January 6, 2008, edition cover and main article asks if Benazir Bhutto is "America's best hope against Al-Qaeda," after her December 27, 2007, assassination

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
ABC News/Wash. Post: 90% of voters see U.S. on wrong track; Bush at 23% approval; Obama leads 53% - 43%

The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has some stunning numbers. There is almost a unanimous consensus in this country that we're on the wrong track -- because we are. Only 22 days til we can change the track of the nation:

Quote:
A tornado of economic discontent is buffeting the nation, sending satisfaction with the country's direction to a 35-year low, George W. Bush's approval rating below Richard Nixon's worst  and Barack Obama, boosted by economic empathy, to his best-yet advantage in the presidential race.

Given the global economic crisis, a record 90 percent of registered voters say the country is seriously off on the wrong track, the most since this question first was asked in 1973. At 23 percent, Bush's job approval rating has fallen below Nixon's lowest; it's a point away from the lowest in 70 years of polling, set by Harry Truman in early 1952. Bush's disapproval, meanwhile, is at an all-time record  73 percent.

Powered chiefly by the public's economic concerns, Obama leads John McCain by 10 points among likely voters, 53-43 percent, in this ABC News/Washington Post poll. Though every race is different, no presidential candidate has come back from an October deficit this large in pre-election polls dating to 1936....

Obama holds the reins on economic woe. Registered voters trust him over McCain to handle the economy by 53-37 percent. Obama holds his largest lead yet, a remarkable 30-point margin, in better understanding the economic problems Americans are having, 58-28 percent. He leads McCain by about as much, 59-31 percent, in trust to help the middle class, and by 11 points on taxes, two prime points of contention in the last presidential debate....

McCain's receiving blowback for what's perceived as negative campaigning; registered voters by 59-35 percent say he's been mainly attacking Obama rather than addressing the issues. Obama, by contrast, is seen by an even wider margin as issue-focused....

[A] drop in McCain's favorability rating, to 52 percent, a loss of 7 points since the Republican convention; 45 percent now see him unfavorably, a new high for McCain in polls since 1999. Obama's rating, meanwhile, is 64 percent favorable, near its high and up 6 points in the same time frame.

Enthusiasm for McCain's candidacy, never strong, has softened alongside his favorability rating. Just 29 percent of his own supporters are "very enthusiastic" about his campaign, the fewest since August and down a sharp 17 points from his post-convention peak. By contrast, 63 percent of Obama's backers are very enthusiastic, steady since September.

McCain's portrayal of Obama as a risky choice, further, is not resonating, and indeed may be backfiring. By 55-45 percent registered voters see Obama as safe rather than risky; by contrast, they divide 50-50 on whether McCain himself is safe or risky  down from 57-41 percent "safe" at McCain's best on this measure in June.

Okay, so after all Bush has put us through, who are the 23% of Americans who still approve of George Bush's job performance? Um.. G-Man? PJP? bsams?

Well... in any case, it's refreshing to see that all those crazed racist nutjobs at McCain rallies now only make up about 23%. That's now 1/4 of the country, down from 1/3rd as recently as last year.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
racist.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
ABC News/Wash. Post: 90% of voters see U.S. on wrong track; Bush at 23% approval; Obama leads 53% - 43%

The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has some stunning numbers. There is almost a unanimous consensus in this country that we're on the wrong track -- because we are. Only 22 days til we can change the track of the nation:

Quote:
A tornado of economic discontent is buffeting the nation, sending satisfaction with the country's direction to a 35-year low, George W. Bush's approval rating below Richard Nixon's worst  and Barack Obama, boosted by economic empathy, to his best-yet advantage in the presidential race.

Given the global economic crisis, a record 90 percent of registered voters say the country is seriously off on the wrong track, the most since this question first was asked in 1973. At 23 percent, Bush's job approval rating has fallen below Nixon's lowest; it's a point away from the lowest in 70 years of polling, set by Harry Truman in early 1952. Bush's disapproval, meanwhile, is at an all-time record  73 percent.

Powered chiefly by the public's economic concerns, Obama leads John McCain by 10 points among likely voters, 53-43 percent, in this ABC News/Washington Post poll. Though every race is different, no presidential candidate has come back from an October deficit this large in pre-election polls dating to 1936....

Obama holds the reins on economic woe. Registered voters trust him over McCain to handle the economy by 53-37 percent. Obama holds his largest lead yet, a remarkable 30-point margin, in better understanding the economic problems Americans are having, 58-28 percent. He leads McCain by about as much, 59-31 percent, in trust to help the middle class, and by 11 points on taxes, two prime points of contention in the last presidential debate....

McCain's receiving blowback for what's perceived as negative campaigning; registered voters by 59-35 percent say he's been mainly attacking Obama rather than addressing the issues. Obama, by contrast, is seen by an even wider margin as issue-focused....

[A] drop in McCain's favorability rating, to 52 percent, a loss of 7 points since the Republican convention; 45 percent now see him unfavorably, a new high for McCain in polls since 1999. Obama's rating, meanwhile, is 64 percent favorable, near its high and up 6 points in the same time frame.

Enthusiasm for McCain's candidacy, never strong, has softened alongside his favorability rating. Just 29 percent of his own supporters are "very enthusiastic" about his campaign, the fewest since August and down a sharp 17 points from his post-convention peak. By contrast, 63 percent of Obama's backers are very enthusiastic, steady since September.

McCain's portrayal of Obama as a risky choice, further, is not resonating, and indeed may be backfiring. By 55-45 percent registered voters see Obama as safe rather than risky; by contrast, they divide 50-50 on whether McCain himself is safe or risky  down from 57-41 percent "safe" at McCain's best on this measure in June.

Okay, so after all Bush has put us through, who are the 23% of Americans who still approve of George Bush's job performance? Um.. G-Man? PJP? bsams?

Well... in any case, it's refreshing to see that all those crazed racist nutjobs at McCain rallies now only make up about 23%. That's now 1/4 of the country, down from 1/3rd as recently as last year.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
In McCain's panicky new stump speech, The Erratic One says "My friends, we’ve got them just where we want them.” Okay. You may remember that the Obama campaign moved its operation out of North Dakota a couple weeks ago after several polls showed the state tilting to McCain. North Dakota, after all is a reliably Republican state in presidential elections. But, North Dakota is back in play according to the latest poll:

Quote:
Barack Obama is shown with an edge against John McCain in a North Dakota presidential race that has narrowed to a statistical tie, according to a new Forum poll.

The survey shows Obama squeaking past McCain, 45 percent to 43 percent, a lead that falls within the poll’s margin of error and therefore indicates a dead heat, according to political analysts.

Still up for grabs: undecided voters, comprising 12 percent.

“It’s a statistical tossup,” said Jim Danielson, co-director of the Public Affairs Institute at Minnesota State University Moorhead, which conducted the statewide telephone survey for The Forum. Pollsters contacted 606 likely North Dakota voters by telephone Oct. 6-8.

McCain has Obama right where he wants him. Tied in North Dakota. This is yet another reliably Republican state that McCain can't lock down. He's in North Carolina and Virginia today. Palin had to do campaign stop, an insulting brief campaign stop, in West Virginia yesterday. McCain is playing defense on what should be his turf.

Ah...., the gOP having to defend their own states and still having to fire up their own supporters with the racism and division that they eat up, with only 3 weeks left until election time. Gotta love it. \:\)

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
racist.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
racist.

To paraphrase John McCain today.

You have me right where you want me.

\:lol\:

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Originally Posted By: the G-man
PARADE magazine has a huge readership, and they just told the country that if you make under $112,000 you save more with Obama, and that no one making under $227,000 will have their taxes raised...

Quote:
the January 6, 2008, edition cover and main article asks if Benazir Bhutto is "America's best hope against Al-Qaeda," after her December 27, 2007, assassination

Originally Posted By: G-Man
Oh no, Parade just revealed to middle America that we've been lying all along about Obama raising their taxes! I must do SOMETHING to discredit them!! I know, I'll talk about how they once printed outdated info about Bhutto. Never mind that it was true but quickly became outdated on account of her murder. Maybe with that, they'll think Parade lies or something.... Gotta say something...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Parade isn't read by most of America.

Most of America throw it out with the other ads.

few posts
few posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
Parade isn't read by most of Amerika.

Most of Amerika throw it out with the other ads.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Whomod hiding behind another alt id. How sad.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
Whomod hiding behind another alt id. How sad.

that wasn't me, retard.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Sure unrestrained id sure.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Heh. Did you notice that those pictures whomod took of MSNBC and posted to wank over were posted using "unrestrained id"'s photobucket account?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Chris Cillizza at the Washington Post:

Quote:

The ongoing economic crisis coupled with the aggressive assertion of Democrats' massive fundraising advantage has significantly broadened Republican vulnerabilities in the House and made a 25-plus seat pickup a very real possibility.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, sensing the once in a generation opportunity for huge seat gains, has taken out a $15 million bank loan -- a cash infusion that will allow them to go after a far broader number of newly vulnerable Republican incumbents.

Independent political analysts like Stu Rothenberg and Charlie Cook have upped their predictions of Democratic gains in recent weeks -- with a 20-seat Democratic gain now seen as the floor for November.

Most strategists -- in both parties -- privately believe Democrats are positioned to pick up well more than 15 seats especially given the developments of the last few weeks. During that time, the bottom, which many GOP operatives believed had long ago been reached, dropped out further with seemingly safe incumbents like Reps. Dan Lungren (Calif.), Dana Rohrabacher(Calif.), Dean Heller (Nev.), Lee Terry (Neb.) and Peter Roskam (Ill.) now in real races.

If the likes of Lungren et al. wind up losing, Democrats could well score seat pickups of 35 or more in 19 days time -- a wave that would drop Republican into weak minority status at the start of 2009.

In other words, although we only list the 25 seats likely to switch party control in our House Line this week, the playing field has the real potential to be much larger (and worse) for Republicans.

Thank goodness. The House seems to be the hotbed of the more extremist right wingers out there.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
have you talked to your shrink about this anti-America hatred of yours?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
From the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Republican former Secretary of State Colin Powell's endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama is the latest sign that the Republican Party's coalition is fracturing amid the stresses of the campaign....

The endorsement comes after a series of events that have pointed to the fraying of a Republican umbrella that has relied in the past on both moderates and conservatives to bulk up its governing majority.

Late last week, conservative radio talk-show host Michael Smerconish endorsed Sen. Obama, as did conservative columnist Christopher Buckley, the son of National Review founder William F. Buckley. The Chicago Tribune endorsed Sen. Obama last week, the first time the paper has endorsed a Democrat in its 161-year history.

Two Republican senators in the middle of tough re-election fights -- Susan Collins of Maine and Norm Coleman of Minnesota -- have denounced Sen. McCain's automated phone calls attacking Sen. Obama. "These kind of tactics have no place in Maine politics," said Sen. Collins's spokesman, Kevin Kelley. "Sen. Collins urges the McCain campaign to stop these calls immediately."

.... In the past weeks, strains have developed on all fronts. Fiscal conservatives, already angered by the growth in government spending and deficits under Mr. Bush, have been incensed by what they see as government intrusion in the markets with the $700 billion Wall Street rescue plan. Sen. McCain voted for the plan, then angered his party's fiscal-conservative wing further by proposing that the government buy $300 billion in mortgages on homes facing foreclosure.

The Palin pick was intended in part to assuage social conservatives who have long been leery of Sen. McCain. While it seems to have succeeded on that score, it may also have driven off moderate Republicans.

"Whether John wins or loses, the party is going to have to go through a period of introspection, and we're going to have to regenerate ourselves," said John Weaver, a former top aide to Sen. McCain.

"The Republican Party is fractured. It is completely, utterly fractured," said Mark Corallo, a conservative Republican political strategist.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
This is a very revealing bit of news from CNN Chief National Correspondent John King (i've heard repeatedly that John King is a big fan of John McCain, which heightens my interest in this news).

According to King, inside the McCain campaign, they're pretty much writing off the chances of winning not only New Mexico and Iowa, but Colorado with its nine electoral votes. Without Colorado, McCain's path to victory is becoming non-existent. Team McCain is basing all hope on the delusional idea McCain can win Pennsylvania:

Quote:
The McCain campaign is looking at an Electoral College strategy heading into the final two weeks that has virtually no room for error and depends heavily on a dramatic comeback in Pennsylvania, which hasn't backed a Republican for president in 20 years.

While Iowa, New Mexico and Colorado are still officially listed as McCain target states, two top strategists and advisers tell CNN that the situation in those states looks increasingly bleak. Iowa and New Mexico always have been viewed as difficult races, but the similar assessment of Colorado reflects a dramatic shift for a campaign that had long counted on the state.

"Gone," was the word one top McCain insider used to describe those three states.

This source said while the polls in Colorado remain close, he and most others in the operation were of the opinion that the Obama campaign and its allies have a far superior ground/turnout operation and "most of us have a hard time counting on Colorado."

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Keep celebrating! It will make us laugh that much harder if Hussein doesn't win! \:lol\:

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I haven't been keeping an eye on the polls but is McCain so far behind in PA that he couldn't win it Whomod?

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
No not at all. It is very close. Most of the states are. I'm not saying McCain is going to win but it is going to be very close. Bush was behind Gore by 11 points in 2000 in mid-September.....Bush surged ahead to be ahead by 5 with 5 days to go and then Gore surged the last week and it was very close. The lesson is that anything can happen.

Plus like I have told whomod before and he never responded is that out of all the people that have commited to vote for Obama only 82% are rock solid. The other 18% said they may change their mind.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard