Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So what you're saying is that targeting someone (metaphorically) in another party is okay as long as the reader thinks "crossbow," "missile" or anything but gun?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
No that wouldn't be ok either.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Then we are back to the fact that the Democrats previously used targets on the opposition in pretty much the same way that Palin did. The only difference, by your own argument, is that one used a target that made you think "gun" and the others used targets that implied (at least to you) other weapons.

So then you must agree that the Democrat party was also wrong (or, in the alternative, that both were engaged in harmless political metaphor), correct?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
No Palin used crosshairs while working the gun imagery.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
No Palin used crosshairs while working the gun imagery.

You just wrote that the gun part of it is largely irrelevant:
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

So what you're saying is that targeting someone (metaphorically) in another party is okay as long as the reader thinks "crossbow," "missile" or anything but gun?

Originally Posted By: MEM

You just wrote that targeting a political opponent with something other than a gun is also wrong.

Therefore, the fact that Palin used "gun imagery," by your own admission is no worse than the DNC using other forms of targeting imagery.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Nope. You can mistate all you want but I never said the gun part was irrelevant. Palin can talk about reloading and use her crosshairs all she wants too. I just think it's very poor leadership on her part.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I cut and pasted my question--and your response--verbatim (assuming you haven't gone back and edited it). We can all read what you wrote. I misstated nothing.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I never said the gun imagery was irrelevant.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You said targeting was wrong regardless of the weapon the metaphor brought to mind.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That does not make the gun imagery "irrelevant".

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2010-04-05 2:02 AM.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This is our exchange:

Are you now saying that targeting someone in another party IS okay as long the reader thinks of a different weapon?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man if a dem leader gets assasinated sometime soon, do you really think Palin will continue to use crosshairs and talk about reloading?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That does not make the gun imagery "irrelevant".

Then we are back to my point from yesterday.

It is a matter of record, and I've posted examples to demonstrate, that the images used by the DNC were, like the Palin "crosshairs," forms of targets. I've demonstrated, and you've failed to rebut, that both the DNC targets and the Palin crosshairs are used in shooting practice.

Shooting. As in guns.

If your argument is that gun imagery is wrong, then you need to either: (a) condemn the Democrats too; (b) admit that both sides were speaking in harmless metaphor. Otherwise, you are being a hypocrite.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man if a dem leader gets assasinated sometime soon, do you really think Palin will continue to use crosshairs and talk about reloading?

Answer the question G-man.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You still haven't answered my question from yesterday and now you're demanding I answer one of yours?

But, sure. I'll answer your hypothetical just as soon as you answer mine:

if a GOP leader had been assasinated in 2004 or 2009, do you really think the DNC would have continued to use targets and written about 'targeted republicans' on their websites?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think there would have been greater sensitivity by dems but they were not using crosshairs or had militias with plans to kill cops so it wouldn't have been much to change.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
You have only pointed out some similarities. That's not the same thing as being identical.

MEM is right. Crosshairs are used on scopes (including many nonweapon mounted models) and lenses as a tool to center your vision. Whereas a target is an object that you're supposed to hit with a weapon or other violent actions. Therefore, the use of targets in campaign rhetoric is a more severe incitement of violence.

How's that for splitting hairs?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think you can "target" somebody without a gun being involved. A "crosshairs" however just automatically brings to mind a gun being aimed at somebody. Add to the fact that Palin used words to go along with it to support that idea of a gun being used it's hard to ignore. Even more so when current events have a right wing militia planning to kill cops. If that's what she wants to do at her prep rallies, that is her right but I think it's at best poor leadership on her part.

Doc if you would care to tackle the question I posed to G-man feel free.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Why, when all you've done is dodged and double talked out of everyone else's questions? My post, though made sarcastically, still blows holes in your 'crosshairs are worse than targets' argument. How was Palin's use of the image and her rhetoric any worse than that of the Dem Party that G-man pointed out of "Behind Enemy Lines" or of "Targeted Republicans"?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Can't answer it? Not surprised.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You want answers without having the balls to provide them yourself?

Alright, I think that if a Dem politician would have been killed after Palin's speech, she would have stopped her rhetoric just as fast as the Dems would have stopped theirs if a Rep politician had been killed. In other words, right-a-fucking-way. Because that's what politicians do.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
7500+ posts 47 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: The Hutaree militia and the rising risk of far-right violence

Can't wait for the spin on this one.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
7500+ posts 47 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: The Hutaree militia and the rising risk of far-right violence

Can't wait for the spin on this one.

It's just sad that you're now down to this type of post. Rex already has that job. I do give you credit for at least answering a question though.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Couldn't even think of a good spin, huh?

It amazes me that you're not capable of seeing how silly the whole argument of 'crosshairs are worse than targets' is. They are equal rhetoric, whether good or bad. You just can't bring yourself to saying that the Dems and Reps are level with this kind of thing whether you approve of the style of rhetoric or not. That's what's really sad here.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The target stuff gets used by both parties though but not the crosshairs. Any theory as to why if as you say they are "equal"?

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Are you sure that a Dem has never used the term 'crosshairs' in any speech what-so-ever? I'm pretty sure that it's a common used phrase.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The target stuff gets used by both parties though but not the cross-hairs. Any theory as to why if as you say they are "equal"?

Two days ago I provided examples and citations to show they were equal, insofar as: (a) cross-hairs are a form of target; (b) targets, and not just cross-hairs, are used in shooting practice.

[A target is] not the same thing as crosshairs G-man.

Please. Explain how.

Especially given that everyone knows that targets are used in shooting competitions and practice....including police and military practice in shooting to kill:

That sure looks like a target on the chest to me.

....I am happy to point out that crosshairs are simply one type of target used in shooting practice, along with others I've cited. Case in point:

As I said before, can you explain why they are different?

To date, I haven't seen you cite a single example of how they are different.

You have refused/failed, despite multiple opportunities to do so, to give a single reason why they're different. You just keep repeating your opinion that they are.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He's waiting for a reply to his email from the Daily Kos before he can answer that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Now you've done it. He's going to compare you to rex again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think there would have been greater sensitivity by dems but they were not using crosshairs or had militias with plans to kill cops so it wouldn't have been much to change.

I guess if MEM wants to have the Reps lay claim to the extremist militia; then, under the same 'rules' of politics, the Dems would have to lay claim to movements like ALF and ELF.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think there would have been greater sensitivity by dems but they were not using crosshairs ....

Washington Post: Kucinich in Obama's crosshairs

CNN: Rahm Emanuel in the political cross hairs

Atlantic Free Press--Progressive Opinion: Senator Webb Puts Bush in the Cross-hairs

Arianna Huffington: Bush in the GOP Crosshairs

John Kerry: “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in the crosshairs.

Howard Dean: Bush in cross hairs for lapse of ban on assault weapons

President Barack Hussein Obama: "“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
You have only pointed out some similarities. That's not the same thing as being identical.

MEM is right. Crosshairs are used on scopes (including many nonweapon mounted models) and lenses as a tool to center your vision. Whereas a target is an object that you're supposed to hit with a weapon or other violent actions. Therefore, the use of targets in campaign rhetoric is a more severe incitement of violence.

How's that for splitting hairs?

targets are what you shoot at. crosshairs are what you use to aim at your target.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

targets are what you shoot at. crosshairs are what you use to aim at your target.

No, we already dealt with that:

Please. Explain how.

Especially given that everyone knows that targets are used in shooting competitions and practice....including police and military practice in shooting to kill:

....I am happy to point out that crosshairs are simply one type of target used in shooting practice, along with others I've cited. Case in point:

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
MEM, srsly, just admit that the Dems are being hypocritical. Hypocrisy is nothing new in politics. It'll be okay.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

No, we already dealt with that:

Please. Explain how.

I know, but I couldn't resist.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You're being needlessly cruel to MEM. Stop it. He's already down. No need to pile on wounded prey.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
can't help it. . .it's all the blood in the water. . .

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Isn't that a Deep Purple song?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Are you sure that a Dem has never used the term 'crosshairs' in any speech what-so-ever? I'm pretty sure that it's a common used phrase.

I'm sure they've used the word but not in a graphic like Palin did.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'm sure you are a retard.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard