Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
CNN's Erickson lashes out, doubles down on "shotgun" remark
April 05, 2010 4:55 pm ET by Eric Hananoki

In response to criticism, CNN's Erick Erickson is claiming that liberals are "misconstruing" his remark about pulling out a shotgun if the government tries to arrest him for not filling out the American Community Survey. Erickson also lashed out at "people" who "linger on every word I say" by stating: "You people are nuts. Absolute nuts. Where do you get off misconstruing that I'm agitating for killing Census workers when you people are out there advocating for the killing of the unborn on a regular basis. You have no shame."

On April 1, Erickson said of the American Community Survey: "This is crazy. What gives the Commerce Department the right to ask me how often I flush my toilet? Or about going to work? I'm not filling out this form. I dare them to try and come throw me in jail. I dare them to. Pull out my wife's shotgun and see how that little ACS twerp likes being scared at the door. They're not going on my property. They can't do that. They don't have the legal right, and yet they're trying."

That same day, Media Matters posted a seven-minute audio clip of Erickson's remarks, in context, along with transcript. The headline on Media Matters' post was, "CNN's Erickson: I'll '[p]ull out my wife's shotgun' if they try to arrest me for not filling out the American Community Survey."

On his radio show today, Erickson accused Media Matters of running "a story on their website saying I'm advocating shooting Census workers":

ERICKSON: I saw a report now -- it was an email and I've deleted the email, that now the word this year that everyone is using is narrative. The word narrative has been around for a long time but people are now paying attention to it in ways they didn't in the past. The media constructs the narrative of events. They do not set out to create it, but again, as I've discussed before, the world view -- the narrative is that conservatives are angry and are turning violent. And they have people in the New York Times and the Washington Post and even the Wall Street Journal and across the board throughout the traditional media building the narrative that conservatives are angry.

mediamatters.org

What a nut and CNN hired him to be an agenda setter?

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
The target stuff gets used by both parties though but not the crosshairs.

Now you're backtracking:
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Are you sure that a Dem has never used the term 'crosshairs' in any speech what-so-ever? I'm pretty sure that it's a common used phrase.

I'm sure they've used the word but not in a graphic like Palin did.

But more to the point:

We've got democrats using target graphics against republicans.
We've got democrats (including Howard Dean and John Kerry) using the word cross-hairs in discussions of targeting the opposition and/or their policies and, in the case of Obama, saying he'll bring a gun to the fight with the GOP.
And you're still trying to claim a distinction?

Come on. This isn't even hypocritical any more. You're just plain acting delusional.

(Oh, and nice attempt to change the subject after 3/4 of the board called you out by posting something from media matters having nothing to do with Palin)

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Quote:
CNN's Erickson lashes out, doubles down on "shotgun" remark
April 05, 2010 4:55 pm ET by Eric Hananoki

In response to criticism, CNN's Erick Erickson is claiming that liberals are "misconstruing" his remark about pulling out a shotgun if the government tries to arrest him for not filling out the American Community Survey. Erickson also lashed out at "people" who "linger on every word I say" by stating: "You people are nuts. Absolute nuts. Where do you get off misconstruing that I'm agitating for killing Census workers when you people are out there advocating for the killing of the unborn on a regular basis. You have no shame."

On April 1, Erickson said of the American Community Survey: "This is crazy. What gives the Commerce Department the right to ask me how often I flush my toilet? Or about going to work? I'm not filling out this form. I dare them to try and come throw me in jail. I dare them to. Pull out my wife's shotgun and see how that little ACS twerp likes being scared at the door. They're not going on my property. They can't do that. They don't have the legal right, and yet they're trying."

That same day, Media Matters posted a seven-minute audio clip of Erickson's remarks, in context, along with transcript. The headline on Media Matters' post was, "CNN's Erickson: I'll '[p]ull out my wife's shotgun' if they try to arrest me for not filling out the American Community Survey."

On his radio show today, Erickson accused Media Matters of running "a story on their website saying I'm advocating shooting Census workers":

ERICKSON: I saw a report now -- it was an email and I've deleted the email, that now the word this year that everyone is using is narrative. The word narrative has been around for a long time but people are now paying attention to it in ways they didn't in the past. The media constructs the narrative of events. They do not set out to create it, but again, as I've discussed before, the world view -- the narrative is that conservatives are angry and are turning violent. And they have people in the New York Times and the Washington Post and even the Wall Street Journal and across the board throughout the traditional media building the narrative that conservatives are angry.

mediamatters.org

What a nut and CNN hired him to be an agenda setter?

And the retard goes running back to media matters. Who else is surprised?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He's just trying to change the subject. That article isn't even about Sarah Palin or cross-hairs.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Are you sure that a Dem has never used the term 'crosshairs' in any speech what-so-ever? I'm pretty sure that it's a common used phrase.

I'm sure they've used the word but not in a graphic like Palin did.

Sorry for the lawyers out there but I hope this clarified it for you doc.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
It's been pretty clear that you've got your head up your ass for quite some time, MEM.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I posted the right wing nut from CNN stuff because it falls into the subject matter of this thread btw. "rising risk of far-right violence"

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So the lately liberal cool thing to do is pre-victimize yourself?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
It's been pretty clear that you've got your head up your ass for quite some time, MEM.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I posted the right wing nut from CNN stuff because it falls into the subject matter of this thread btw. "rising risk of far-right violence"

Given that you did so in lieu of addressing the many points raised in response to your own argument about Palin I think it's pretty clear what your motivation was.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Then again the thread title says otherwise.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Why do liberals hate Palin so much? Is it because she's a successful woman in politics that isn't an ugly hateful shrew? Are they jealous?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't hate Palin. I do question the wisdom of using crosshairs and "reload" comments in her pep rallies.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't know, MEM. The way you've pretty much lied about her in this thread, attacking her for things that you accept in Democrats and making imaginary distinctions where none exist, does come off as pretty hateful.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Did she not say and do the things that were reported?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not going to play that game, MEM. I made it clear that your fabrications were about the distinctions you were trying to draw between her actions and those of your fellow democrats, to wit:

Quote:
attacking her for things that you accept in Democrats and making imaginary distinctions where none exist, does come off as pretty hateful.

And why won't you answer my questions from two (nearly three) days ago, instead of posing your own?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So I didn't actually lie as you originally accused me of doing.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I hate Palin because I was told to in my weekly obamanaut newsletter.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Rex we already know you hate Obama.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
What does that have to do with anything?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Has anyone else noticed that alleged suggestions of violence by Republicans or Tea Party members is big, big front-page news for a week or more.

But...

... actual violence by Democrats goes virtually unreported?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So I didn't actually lie as you originally accused me of doing.

I don't know if you lied or not.

As noted above, a case could be made that the way you attempted to create a false distinction between her acts and the DNC's (when in fact, they are virtually identical) is intentional. If so, that could be considered a lie.

On other hand, it could be that you are actually so far divorced from reality that you actually believe there's a difference between her actions and the DNC's. In that case, I guess you aren't really lying, but just delusional.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Has anyone else noticed that alleged suggestions of violence by Republicans or Tea Party members is big, big front-page news for a week or more.

But...actual violence by Democrats goes virtually unreported?

I'm sure if that brick had been a drawing of a target cross-hairs on a map, MEM would be the first person here to condemn what happened to that GOP congressman. After all, when has he ever displayed a foolish inconsistency?

By the way, you'll probably find this interesting:

Tea Party Critics Had Little Interest in Bush-Bashers:
  • Racists. Nutbags. Radicals. Extremists. The Tea Party movement has been slammed as all these and more in the mainstream media, particularly since fringe elements of the group went screaming after members of Congress in the run-up to the health care vote.

But even as Tea Party "fury" has become all the rage in popular accounts of their protests, some observers say the rallies are nothing compared to the anti-Bush frenzy at Iraq War protests in years past — outbursts that the press generally ignored.

"What's interesting about the media's latest freak-out is that there were radicals aplenty under President Bush [who] protested in the streets [and] talked openly about revolution and killing," said Evan Coyne Maloney, a documentary filmmaker who has followed anti-war protests since 2003.

"But oddly, the violent imagery used by people claiming to be advocates for peace never registered with the media," he wrote online. "If there is such a thing as dangerous rhetoric, then the media is at least one president too late in reporting the story."

As the Huffington Post has pointed out, a few posters have popped up at Tea Party rallies calling President Obama the "new face of Hitler," a baby killer and even a slavedriver.

But those appear to pale in comparison to attacks on President George W. Bush, who was hanged in effigy, burned in effigy, compared to Hitler, called the Antichrist, a human abortion, and made the subject of numerous sustained death threats for about seven years. Those attacks, while highly visible, went mostly unreported outside of scattered conservative blogs.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The dem brick got reported more because it was part of a much larger reaction of violence after the healthcare vote. Stuff like death threats and a gas line being cut. You guys don't want to talk about it but threats or worse from the right is way up.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The dem brick got reported more because it was part of a much larger reaction of violence after the healthcare vote.

From the above link:
  • Former Bush adviser Karl Rove was targeted last week by handcuff-toting Code Pink members who tried to carry out a citizen's arrest during a book signing in Beverly Hills. As the attempt failed, one protester shouted to Rove that "the only comfort I take is that ... you're going to rot in hell."

Thousands of extreme critics weren't content to wait until Bush administration figures reached perdition — many made open death threats, though they got little press coverage.

And somewhere here at RKMBs I wrote about a group of lefties in Ithaca who threw actual human blood on a soldier and a recruiting center as part of an antiwar protest.

So, basically, there was violence from the antiwar left during the Bush years but it didn't get the coverage that one or two incidents from the tea partiers are getting now.

We also have examples of liberal environmental groups, freaked out by Al Gore's promise of global warming, engaging in acts of violence and eco-terror. However, as doc pointed out, very few of the Palin and talk radio bashers saw fit to try and blame Gore for the torching of SUVs and the spiking of trees.

And, of course, there are the union thugs who attack people openly in order to quell opposition to this or that union-friendly (typically democrat) politician.

At some point, it comes down to a "tree falling in the forest" kind of thing. If the media plays up violence on side (the right) and downplays it on the other (the left) it will seem as if one side was worse than the other. In fact, it would be very difficult, if the media downplayed left-wing violence, to even find the examples to show that the left did it.

Finally, I would remiss if I didn't point out that representatives of one side being violent is not excused by past bad acts from the other sides. A crime is a crime, if it occurred.

The issue I'm addressing is whether the media (and some people such as yourself) aren't being much quicker to publicize and generalize the bad apples on one side after doing their/your level best to cover-up (for lack of a better term) the bad apples on the other side.

Oh, and I guess this confirms that you are admitting defeat on the Palin/target/DNC/crosshairs argument, insofar as you're still trying to talk about other stuff now.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The Rove/code pink incident was national news G-man. A tree fell, people heard. The problem is there were more attacks on dems so instead of a tree here and there falling it was many.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Grimm

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The Rove/code pink incident was national news G-man. A tree fell, people heard.

I just did a search of google news for the phrase "rove code pink". It returned 294 results in 0.14 seconds.

Conversely, I searched google news for the phrase "tea party violence" and it returned 1,790 results.

That seems to indicate that the press wrote stories about the alleged tea party violence approximately six times for frequently.

Similarly, a searching google news for the phrase "left wing violence" generated only 755 results, whereas the phrase "right wing violence" generated 1,740 results (ie, more than a two to one margin).

Based on this it at least seems as if the press covers supposed conservative violence much more than supposed liberal violence.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Karl Rove Doesn't Like Publicity Over Code Pink Incident – What ...‎
News Hounds (blog) - 9 hours ago

After the Code Pink “Citizens Arrest" of Karl Rove, at a Rove book signing, Rove said this on Fox News: “Well, you know, what was interesting was I thought ...

MiamiHerald.com Rove Book Signing Gets Surprise Ending‎
CBS News - Mar 30, 2010

Code Pink co-founder Jodie Evans on Monday walked toward Rove with handcuffs, saying she was making a citizen's arrest. "Look what you did, you outted a CIA ...
California: Rove Leaves Stage After Heckling‎ - New York Times
Karl Rove blasts Democrats and promotes his new book in the East Bay‎ - San Jose Mercury News
Lafayette ready for Rove - is Rove ready for Lafayette?‎ - San Francisco Chronicle (blog)
Dallas Morning News (blog) - FOXNews
all 500 news articles »

So after trying to say it wasn't reported now it's supposed to be as reported as much as all the right wing violence combined?

At least you have the Doctor to console you on how unfair life is for conservatives

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
NO UR GHEY!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So after trying to say it wasn't reported...

You're misquoting me.

I never said it "wasn't reported." I said the Rove incident did not receive the same level of coverage as other incidents.

My exact quote (with emphasis added):

Originally Posted By: the G-man
The dem brick got reported more because it was part of a much larger reaction of violence after the healthcare vote.

From the above link:
  • Former Bush adviser Karl Rove was targeted last week by handcuff-toting Code Pink members who tried to carry out a citizen's arrest during a book signing in Beverly Hills. As the attempt failed, one protester shouted to Rove that "the only comfort I take is that ... you're going to rot in hell."

Thousands of extreme critics weren't content to wait until Bush administration figures reached perdition — many made open death threats, though they got little press coverage.

And somewhere here at RKMBs I wrote about a group of lefties in Ithaca who threw actual human blood on a soldier and a recruiting center as part of an antiwar protest.

So, basically, there was violence from the antiwar left during the Bush years but it didn't get the coverage that one or two incidents from the tea partiers are getting now.

We also have examples of liberal environmental groups, freaked out by Al Gore's promise of global warming, engaging in acts of violence and eco-terror. However, as doc pointed out, very few of the Palin and talk radio bashers saw fit to try and blame Gore for the torching of SUVs and the spiking of trees.

And, of course, there are the union thugs who attack people openly in order to quell opposition to this or that union-friendly (typically democrat) politician.

At some point, it comes down to a "tree falling in the forest" kind of thing. If the media plays up violence on side (the right) and downplays it on the other (the left) it will seem as if one side was worse than the other. In fact, it would be very difficult, if the media downplayed left-wing violence, to even find the examples to show that the left did it.

Finally, I would remiss if I didn't point out that representatives of one side being violent is not excused by past bad acts from the other sides. A crime is a crime, if it occurred.

The issue I'm addressing is whether the media (and some people such as yourself) aren't being much quicker to publicize and generalize the bad apples on one side after doing their/your level best to cover-up (for lack of a better term) the bad apples on the other side.

Oh, and I guess this confirms that you are admitting defeat on the Palin/target/DNC/crosshairs argument, insofar as you're still trying to talk about other stuff now.

I will give you that, perhaps, my reference at the end to the media doing "their ...level best" to cover-up liberal violence was imprecise and could lead someone who read my post quickly to think that I was implying they didn't cover it at all. However, I think the rest of my post made it very clear that I wasn't trying to claim their was no coverage, only a relative dearth when compared to coverage of supposed right wing violence.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
There was also the whole "tree falling" reference.

You found less stories about left wing violence because there's less of it.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
You found less stories about left wing violence because there's less of it.

Unless you have an scientific study to prove that, your theory is just that. A theory. No better or worse than mine (ie, that there is/was violence from the left but it didn't/doesn't get the same level of coverage and that this creates a false impression of less violence on one side).

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So we agree to not agree and I'll just keep posting additional violence from the right. You can keep talking about Rove and code pink and the few occassional other trees that fall.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

But...

The evidence, M E M, is that there's an abundance of liberal violence that goes unreported.

That there was far more inflammatory liberal rhetoric, harassment by liberals, and violence by liberals --in the specific examples of anti-Bush Iraq war demonstrations, and environmental terrorism-- that you like to pretend doesn't exist.

But it does.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think we can all agree that wondy is one of the foremost experts on anger and hate.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So we agree to not agree and I'll just keep posting additional violence from the right. You can keep talking about Rove and code pink and the few occassional other trees that fall.

Am I the only one to notice that whenever MEM pulls the "we agree to not agree and I'll just keep making shit up and ignoring anything that contradicts my limited world view" card it means he knows he's lost?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So news reports about right wing violence is now "making shit up"? That doesn't seem very rational but whatever.

Quote:
Broken windows
Jake Sherman and Marin Cogan wrote today how intense the backlash has been in some quarters to the health care bill's passage, and the Kansas City Star reports on another broken window:

Authorities in Wichita and some other cities across the country are investigating vandalism against Democratic offices, apparently in response to health care reform.

And on Monday, a former Alabama militia leader took credit for instigating the actions.

Mike Vanderboegh of Pinson, Ala., former leader of the Alabama Constitutional Militia, put out a call on Friday for modern “Sons of Liberty” to break the windows of Democratic Party offices nationwide in opposition to health care reform. Since then, vandals have struck several offices, including the Sedgwick County Democratic Party headquarters in Wichita.

“There’s glass everywhere,” said Lyndsay Stauble, executive director of the Sedgwick County Democratic Party. “A brick took out the whole floor-to-ceiling window and put a gouge in my desk.”

Stauble said the brick, hurled through the window between Friday night and Saturday morning, had “some anti-Obama rhetoric” written on it.

Physical damage aside, this isn't great P.R.

politico.com

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

But...

The evidence, M E M, is that there's an abundance of liberal violence that goes unreported.

That there was far more inflammatory liberal rhetoric, harassment by liberals, and violence by liberals --in the specific examples of anti-Bush Iraq war demonstrations, and environmental terrorism-- that you like to pretend doesn't exist.

But it does.

More liberal reportage of a few conservative incidents --while ignoring that the ratio of craziness and death threats by liberals during the Bush years was much higher-- does not prove there are "more" conservative incidents. It only proves that the liberal media wants to spin it that way.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So news reports about right wing violence is now "making shit up"?

No. Fabricating distinctions (for example, between between targets and cross-hairs) where none exist is "making shit up."

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard