Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1127671 2010-09-09 3:33 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the insurgency!!!! ... wait, no, not that.

lotsa times, we's sit and talk about ways to get more posters and more posts here. at least every other week. and, those discussions are all well and good, but ... that's largely the problem with those threads. they're "good". we don't do beneficial on the internet, particularly here. we're much better suited to discuss things that are awful and damaging and insulting. THUS! let us reverse the conversation, and chat bouts' the things on this forum that are killers to the forum, in and of itself. things that prevent new posters and/or new posts. what are the forum killers, destined to... kill forums?

identify!

giant picture
Rob #1127678 2010-09-09 3:49 PM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
rex

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
rex

the G-man #1127683 2010-09-09 4:36 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
rex

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
rex

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #1127688 2010-09-09 5:00 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
G-man

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Oh. Sorry

Originally Posted By: rex
rex

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yes to all of the above.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1127692 2010-09-09 5:37 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Politics outside of the Political Forum.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

the G-man #1127696 2010-09-09 5:41 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
the G-man ass-kicky Moderator Lawyers Guns & Money
15000+ posts 6 seconds ago Modifying a post
Forum: Pro & Jake's Fortress of Awesome Chat

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fixing a coding problem.

the G-man #1127700 2010-09-09 5:45 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

thedoctor #1127704 2010-09-09 5:50 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
well, let's see.

i think that alts have been a large responsibility in making stuff pooish. not all alts. used t'be, back in my day (*sips iced tea*) alts were created to be another persona. there was a lil napoleon. a zod. even an urg, god bless him. they were characters suited to their role. i liked those. they were fun and inventive and stuck to character and, oddly, contributed to the appropriate threads in a logical fashion.

then, there were a buncha alts that were creativity-bereft. they required no thinking. they were bad. like mopius. online obsessor. post-2005 mister jla. mimic. "the." etc. posting to threads with no value, in a fashion i'd argue vastly different (and far more damning) than the traditional art of spamming, frantaing and/or basasmsing. the new era of alts seem to have a topic-ending impact to an impressive degree. they are fucking clown shoes.

i do not think politics is that large of a factor, if at all. whether you hate g-man, whomod, wondy, mem, or any of the other deemed extreme fans, i don't think causing anger and friction is something that stifles conversation, but rather something that inspires it. if g-man is pissing off the opposing team (not straight people or young people in this instance, but liberals) in more cases than not, that creates new posts. someone will want to get all riled up and retaliate.

however, there appears to be limits as to what can qualify as conversation sparking in the political realm. g-man linking the super bowl commercial thread in the media forum to ... i dunno. left wing agenda? that's likely a case of "too far". or, for another example, anything captain sammitch posts. i think posts that are laden with \:lol\: icons, or those that are simply anticipating someone you're goading has been goaded, devalue not only the discussion, but your argument in it.

one of the larger turn-offs to me, unlike slow walks on the beach, is the idea of "cheap heat". one of my absolute favorite things to do on the forum years back was getting into word fights and debates with other posters. the insults would fly back and forth, but with typical levels of creativity added in. it wasn't just a "you are a homosexual, and rex has sexual relations with socks" discussion. there were mini-stories created and images photoshopped and all sortsa inventive ways to specifically not say the same thing over and over (even though you were). ironically (or, perhaps, ingeniously-creative) i often find cheap heat comments much more insulting than the clever ones. not in the "my feelings!!" sorta way, but in the notion that i no longer have a desire to respond or contribute to the thread in any fashion, because the cheap heatior has lamed it (verb form) beyond repair.

giant picture
Rob #1127705 2010-09-09 6:07 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I've said this before but things were better before everyone started copying and pasting from other sites. There's a lot of differing views on everything from politics to movies to comic books and I want to hear the actual views of people that post here. Sure, people are going to post articles from other sites to share information but we should also put what we think about things in those posts and threads.

rex #1127706 2010-09-09 6:09 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I've said this before but things were better before everyone started copying and pasting from other sites. There's a lot of differing views on everything from politics to movies to comic books and I want to hear the actual views of people that post here. Sure, people are going to post articles from other sites to share information but we should also put what we think about things in those posts and threads.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1127707 2010-09-09 6:14 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
well, let's see.

i think that alts have been a large responsibility in making stuff pooish. not all alts. used t'be, back in my day (*sips iced tea*) alts were created to be another persona. there was a lil napoleon. a zod. even an urg, god bless him. they were characters suited to their role. i liked those. they were fun and inventive and stuck to character and, oddly, contributed to the appropriate threads in a logical fashion.

then, there were a buncha alts that were creativity-bereft. they required no thinking. they were bad. like mopius. online obsessor. post-2005 mister jla. mimic. "the." etc. posting to threads with no value, in a fashion i'd argue vastly different (and far more damning) than the traditional art of spamming, frantaing and/or basasmsing. the new era of alts seem to have a topic-ending impact to an impressive degree. they are fucking clown shoes.

i do not think politics is that large of a factor, if at all. whether you hate g-man, whomod, wondy, mem, or any of the other deemed extreme fans, i don't think causing anger and friction is something that stifles conversation, but rather something that inspires it. if g-man is pissing off the opposing team (not straight people or young people in this instance, but liberals) in more cases than not, that creates new posts. someone will want to get all riled up and retaliate.

however, there appears to be limits as to what can qualify as conversation sparking in the political realm. g-man linking the super bowl commercial thread in the media forum to ... i dunno. left wing agenda? that's likely a case of "too far". or, for another example, anything captain sammitch posts. i think posts that are laden with \:lol\: icons, or those that are simply anticipating someone you're goading has been goaded, devalue not only the discussion, but your argument in it.

one of the larger turn-offs to me, unlike slow walks on the beach, is the idea of "cheap heat". one of my absolute favorite things to do on the forum years back was getting into word fights and debates with other posters. the insults would fly back and forth, but with typical levels of creativity added in. it wasn't just a "you are a homosexual, and rex has sexual relations with socks" discussion. there were mini-stories created and images photoshopped and all sortsa inventive ways to specifically not say the same thing over and over (even though you were). ironically (or, perhaps, ingeniously-creative) i often find cheap heat comments much more insulting than the clever ones. not in the "my feelings!!" sorta way, but in the notion that i no longer have a desire to respond or contribute to the thread in any fashion, because the cheap heatior has lamed it (verb form) beyond repair.

the G-man #1127708 2010-09-09 6:15 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
G-man has done it again!

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I think the entire reason we're here is because all the other forums were killed for us by posters who expect.....Things. Like....Um, what's it called? Curtsy? No wait, courtesy.

Our definition of MB etiquette is just different than what most prospective dedicated posters consider reasonable.

It's really not any one issue, but rather the overall feel of this place.

On that note, we should make Jaburg the official greeter for all new posters!

Rob #1127713 2010-09-09 8:04 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
well, let's see.

Give me the POWER my liege, and I shall SMITE the Alts from the face of the web! And then I will make a lot of edits to Rex's posts to piss him off. But, then I'll stop. And then I'll do it again later. But, I won't do it all the time...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Also, with the only skins available being shit-brown and the other retina-burning-white, an upgrade to the forum with versatile skins wouldn't kill your chances of bringing in new life. Am I wrong?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Oh, and if you made it mandatory to register before viewing the forums, I bet the traffic would inadvertently go up. If nothing else, think about all the Wimmen's Forum lurkers, and JLA's sweet pron! Make the Anonymous work for it...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I like pie.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Except the Jewrican ones.

thedoctor #1127723 2010-09-09 8:29 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
With nice tits.

Rob #1127728 2010-09-09 8:36 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
or, for another example, anything captain sammitch posts. i think posts that are laden with \:lol\: icons, or those that are simply anticipating someone you're goading has been goaded, devalue not only the discussion, but your argument in it.

\:lol\:

also rob is gay and reax is a sockfucker.

in all seriousness though, I am fully capable of participating in a reasonable debate with anyone. generally I give someone the time of day if I respect them enough to do so. putting mem on ignore or editing \:lol\: into adler's posts implies I do not - in my personal opinion they should either completely overhaul just about everything about themselves or fuck right off these boards. if I want to talk to someone I do. if I don't it's because I see no point in showing them respect they have neither merited nor reciprocated.

reax is a horrible little bastard troll whose place in hell was assured years ago. he is also, at times, this place's most important quality-control device. this is not a place you join to have your ego stroked, and I don't believe, rob, that you have ever stated that it should be. I do believe most posters (see previous paragraph) should be accorded some modicum of respect and decorum - except of course in the OT forum - but we can't go coddling every thin-skinned attention-whoring little... well, pcg who posts here. sorry, couldn't think of a better term. rex sets the tone for discussion in most forums; whether that's a good or a bad thing is entirely subjective. should he tone it down a bit sometimes? possibly. but every castle needs a bridge troll to discourage unwelcome guests, and adsense revenue aside you can't tell me in all honesty that everyone who turns up on here has been welcomed.

this board has evolved over time, and there are a number of selective mechanisms in place governing the trajectory of its evolution. the politics forum has taken on a life of its own, for better or for worse, and it is what it is. people will always piss and moan when they sense that not as many people share their personal perspectives as they like, and some people will never be content with the 'alignment' of the politics board either because they loathe exerting the intellectual effort to progress beyond stage 1 thinking or simply because they're so far out to one extreme or the other that no one else is even close to sharing their views. just as with reax, whether you like him or despise him, g-man is a vital part of this place because he keeps people talking, which last I checked was the point of this place. does he have bias? hell yes he does - it's just that he doesn't share the same bias as many of his detractors. he's not perfect by a long shot, but then again it's far from a gathering of model citizens in there anyway. everyone contributes something - doc, pro, perkins, even posters people bitch about like basams or jla or even myself, we all pitch in something of value from time to time. it may not be pretty or inviting by any means, but things do get discussed.

as far as the conduct in the other forums (besides OT which is a foregone conclusion), you're gob, you make the rules. if you say 'hey cut that shit out lololbathoganwii' we stop. usually. sometimes. if someone is taking politics into forums where it doesn't belong (which I agree is a serious problem) then mods need to step in and say 'gtfo dumas' or whatever. this place is whatever we make it into, but it's entirely within your right to whip out rob's rape rod when someone gets too unruly, I suppose. \:-\[

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh, and if you made it mandatory to register before viewing the forums, I bet the traffic would inadvertently go up. If nothing else, think about all the Wimmen's Forum lurkers, and JLA's sweet pron! Make the Anonymous work for it...

I'd suggest that Rob basically turn the whole women's forum into the secret "house of porn" and require both registration and a certain post count before the lurker can see the pictures.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Oh, and if you made it mandatory to register before viewing the forums, I bet the traffic would inadvertently go up.

No, that's what a forum does when they're scared of other people. See: the Insurgency.

One big turn off for me is opening a thread and finding nothing but "\:lol\:" or a who's online message. It's like, I came all this way for this? I demand satisfaction, robdammit. That's why, despite my obsessive-compulsive need to keep up with every forum (except Sports and Politics) I don't bother clicking on a thread if I see the last poster is an alt or a known offender.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Or Lothar...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
No, that's what a forum does when they're scared of other people. See: the Insurgency.

Don't worry. None would challenge my Haxor skills.

Also, we could just limit it to the Women's Forum like G suggested...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Oh, and if you made it mandatory to register before viewing the forums, I bet the traffic would inadvertently go up.

Yeah. Let me make clear my earlier comment about locking down a forum was limited solely to the idea that making people work for the porn might not be a bad idea.

the G-man #1127736 2010-09-09 8:47 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
But let face it:

The biggest problem here is that we (and, sadly, I have to include myself in this) tend to pick, pick, pick at something or someone until it stops being even mildly funny and just becomes boring to everyone except maybe the immediate participants.

the G-man #1127737 2010-09-09 8:53 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Oh and honestly, while I don't actually care about Comic Books these days, I think one of the turn-off for a lot of posters was the lack of moderation in that particular forum. I'm all for the normal shit we do. But, at the same time, a lot of our blood came from a comic book message board. They came here to be able to talk about comics without having to deal with the corporate bureaucracy of the DC Boards. So, without the ability to talk about comics without being hounded for their politics or general chaos, they had no reason to stay here. And I'm not talking about freaks like the Legion nerds. I mean guys like Jeremy, Kaz, or even some of the others. Yes, guys like TK-69 are chumps, and Velo was a whiner, and all that. But, honestly, without versatility here, there's no life. Even for people who exist only to argue and fight, there's no one to really argue or fight with now. They've all been driven off by a variety of factors. Mainly, in my opinion, the inability to maintain separate forums, with separate standards, versus all one big OT Chat. I mean, if nothing else, it would at least give guys like BSAMS something to crusade against...

the G-man #1127738 2010-09-09 8:57 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
But let face it:

The biggest problem here is that we (and, sadly, I have to include myself in this) tend to pick, pick, pick at something or someone until it stops being even mildly funny and just becomes boring to everyone except maybe the immediate participants.

The inability to recognize when a joke is not only dead, but has been ground into a fine powder, is an inherent staple of the boards that does not need to disappear. I'd merely contain it to the right forums. MEM may be a "Liberal Crazy" in the Politics Forum, but in the Comics or Media forum, he should just be MEM. I'm sure exceptions can be made for people like Whomod, Black Machismo, etc. who deserve tooling at all opportunities. But, for the permanent members there should be a line...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Glacier16 ass-kicky User 5000+ posts 42 minutes 20 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Pro & Jake's Fortress of Awesome Chat
Thread: forum killers

Also, posters should post...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I might know of a group more retarded than the insurgency but I don't think they have one message board they belong to. It could be fun to kick them around.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
...without the ability to talk about comics without being hounded for their politics or general chaos, they had no reason to stay here. And I'm not talking about freaks like the Legion nerds. I mean guys like Jeremy, Kaz, or even some of the others. Yes, guys like TK-69 are chumps, and Velo was a whiner, and all that. But, honestly, without versatility here, there's no life. Even for people who exist only to argue and fight, there's no one to really argue or fight with now....

Other than the usual trollery that exists across the board here exactly what sort of hounding occurs with any frequency on the comic book forum?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard