Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 50 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 49 50
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I read that the Koch brothers had hired a PR firm.

They may be for gay marriage but that's hardly a big issue for most people compared to their wages and drinking water. Plus considering the elected officials that they've bought and paid for are not for gay marriage, it's really meaningless.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Not everyone hates people for having money.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In historic vote, NY Senate passes same-sex marriage bill: The New York bill cleared the Republican-controlled state Senate on a 33-29 vote. The Democrat-led Assembly, which passed a different version last week, is expected to pass the new version with stronger religious exemptions and Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who campaigned on the issue last year, has promised to sign it. Same-sex couples can begin marrying begin 30 days after that.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
That's great!! About time. Lothar will be THRILLED! ;\)

Seriously, though, congrats to MEM. I'm sure he's excited, as well.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
And Dave the Weiner-Boy...

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
his penis of truth will be overjoyed

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
...congrats to MEM. I'm sure he's excited, as well.

Speaking of MEM, on the day that the Republican-controlled state senate passed gay marriage in New York, Obama Stops Short of Endorsing Same-Sex Marriage.

Poor Zick. His little brain must be particularly addled this evening. \:lol\:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
A sad day for America, in my opinion.

No doubt NY Republicans did it to not alienate political support. If states individually want gay marriage, or abortion, or whatever, I think that is the people of that state's right. And those who don't like it can move to a state that shares their legal opinion.
But needless to say, abortion was shoved down everyone's throat in 1973, and gay activists have voiced their intent to similarly leverage gay marriage. I have less of a problem with gay marriage if at some point it is voted for by a majority, rather than forced on the people by elites, and conversely (like border security and Proposition 8) where a handful of elites overturn the majority choice of millions of voters, when voting doesn't go the way liberals want.
That is tyranny, not democracy.

I only oppose gay marriage because I see it as
1) not marriage (man-woman) as clearly defined for 6000 years by both religious and secular law,
2) the push for gay marriage shows every evidence --as voiced by the ACLU/gay community-- of being a legal beachhead to impose gay marriage on those who have a religious or personal objection to it
3) can also be used to make any religious mention of homosexuality "hate speech" and a crime punishable by fines or imprisonment.

My argument has not changed. The same evidence I cited in years prior is still there, about the stated goals of gays and liberals to use this as a weapon against Constitutionally protected religious freedom.
Gays already have rights.
They already have civil union, can live and work without persecution.

This is about gays and progressives building the momentum to stomp on others' rights and freedoms.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You've become a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of yourself.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
You've become a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of a parody of yourself.

What you post manifests no intelligence. It's just the posting equivalent of vandalism.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
impose gay marriage on those who have a religious or personal objection to it

You have to understand poor Wondy, he really believes a gaypist is gonna show up on his house now and homo-marry him. In the ass.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
In fact Dave is already moist from the thought.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
impose gay marriage on those who have a religious or personal objection to it

You have to understand poor Wondy, he really believes a gaypist is gonna show up on his house now and homo-marry him. In the ass.

No, I just know what liberals have stated as their objectives, that they are pursuing. And dislike their tactics of slander, harassment, intimidation, and when all else fails, legislating from the bench.

New York is a liberal state, and it was a very close vote. But I seriously wonder if even a majority of New Yorkers want this. As I said, Proposition 8 was voted AGAINST in California (opposing gay marriage) and a liberal court just tossed it out.

I wonder how New York state liberals would feel if a conservative court was able to overturn this vote, and did.

I'm more concerned about the momentum they are building, to ram it down the throats of all 50 states.

If some states have it and some states don't, by will of the voters, so be it. When courts or even legislators make those elitist decisions for everyone, I don't recognize that as the will of the governed.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Are you writing gay romance fiction now, too?

Remind me not to bend over to pick up the soap in the RKMB showers!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Are you writing gay romance fiction now, too?

Remind me to bend over to pick up the soap in the RKMB showers!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
One word = +100 points

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Seriously, though, congrats to MEM. I'm sure he's excited, as well.

Thanks, it is really nice news. The gays are happy and New York will make some money out of it. Seems like a win for everyone.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I personally would still like to see states decide on the basis of referendum and popular votes, but if elected representatives are voting on it the people are still represented at least a little. again, a state-by-state basis is still preferable to a federal-level decision IMO because it allows for the most accurate representation of the will of the people.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
I personally would still like to see states decide on the basis of referendum and popular votes, but if elected representatives are voting on it the people are still represented at least a little. again, a state-by-state basis is still preferable to a federal-level decision IMO because it allows for the most accurate representation of the will of the people.

That would be the same as my crazy "embarassment to conservatives" opinion that I just posted above, that you just agreed with.

For all the partisan demagoguery of conservatives, and all the RKMB silliness here, it's still a very reasonable opinion. Will of the people, not the elites.

Except when the people vote against gay marriage ( or stricter immigration enforcement, or abortion) and then activist courts arbitrarily overturn it. Would that the rule of law cut both ways, whether the majority ruling is conservative or liberal.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's the job of elected representatives to pass laws. Referendums are, more often than not, just a way for politicians to dodge their duties. New York did it right.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
It's the job of elected representatives to pass laws. Referendums are, more often than not, just a way for politicians to dodge their duties. New York did it right.

I'm not sure I see your point.

It seems to me that majority popular vote is more precisely representative of the people.

We've seen time after time that our elected leaders are influenced by lobbyists, campaign finance, and other pockets of wealth that promote their own interests over those of the nation and its people.

Was Obamacare the duty of our Senate and Congress? Stimulus? Omnibus? Cap-and-Trade?
No.
It was clear influence-peddling for a hidden agenda, against the best interests of the nation and the popular will of American people.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its funny that gay marriage being legalized pisses off the biggest faggots here.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I'm not sure I see your point....

We have a representative form of government. We do so, in no small part, because we want our officials to have some discretion to study and consider the pros and cons of legislation before it becomes law. It's a way to limit the potential for "mob rule" and the tyranny of the majority over the weak and the innocent.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
plato was right?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I aint moving to New York just to marry some guy.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lothar ain't the marryin kind. He just wants the mansex.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
\:lol\:

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I'm not sure I see your point....

We have a representative form of government. We do so, in no small part, because we want our officials to have some discretion to study and consider the pros and cons of legislation before it becomes law. It's a way to limit the potential for "mob rule" and the tyranny of the majority over the weak and the innocent.

Originally Posted By: WB
We've seen time after time that our elected leaders are influenced by lobbyists, campaign finance, and other pockets of wealth that promote their own interests over those of the nation and its people.

Was Obamacare the duty of our Senate and Congress? Stimulus? Omnibus? Cap-and-Trade?
No.
It was clear influence-peddling for a hidden agenda, against the best interests of the nation and the American people.

Add to that the shakedown intimidation tactics of Jesse Jackson, ACORN, and gay activist groups, where a tiny minority harasses and intimidates to ram through corrupt policy.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So WB what would you propose here? Honestly it seems like you don't have a problem in general with elected officials making laws before this. Is it just this issue and maybe a couple of others that you want treated differently?

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
So WB what would you propose here? Honestly it seems like you don't have a problem in general with elected officials making laws before this. Is it just this issue and maybe a couple of others that you want treated differently?

I propose that on heartfelt issues, like abortion and gay marriage or border security, where there is polarizing opinion, that the only way to legislate these things fairly is
(1) by popular vote.
(Where even a legislative vote like this one in New York state is unacceptable, because it no doubt is a political decision maneuvered behind the scenes, and not credibly representative of what the people of that state really want. It was 29 Democrats, who managed to leverage an additional 4 Republican votes, not an overwhelming consensus.)

And
(2) where will of the people is upheld, whether popular opinion goes for the way of liberals or conservatives. It's an outrage to me that Proposition 8 knocked down gay marriage in Nov 2008 --in liberal-heavy California of all places-- and a higher court liberal judge just threw the law out, despite it being the clear popular consensus will of California voters.

As I said above, these changes in controversial social policy should clearly be will of the people, not the elites.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: WB
If states individually want gay marriage, or abortion, or whatever, I think that is the people of that state's right. And those who don't like it can move to a state that shares their legal opinion.
But needless to say, abortion was shoved down everyone's throat in 1973, and gay activists have voiced their intent to similarly leverage gay marriage. I have less of a problem with gay marriage if at some point it is voted for by a majority, rather than forced on the people by elites, and conversely (like border security and Proposition 8) where a handful of elites overturn the majority choice of millions of voters, when voting doesn't go the way liberals want.
That is tyranny, not democracy.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I propose that on heartfelt issues, like abortion and gay marriage or border security, where there is polarizing opinion, that the only way to legislate these things fairly is
(1) by popular vote.

If you think ACORN, et al, is capable of stealing elections for public office why do you think they can't do it with referenda? For example, look at the "astroturf" going on in Wisconsin, where the unions and the DNC are trying to organize recall votes.

Quote:

...even a legislative vote like this one in New York state is unacceptable, because it no doubt is a political decision maneuvered behind the scenes, and not credibly representative of what the people of that state really want. It was 29 Democrats, who managed to leverage an additional 4 Republican votes, not an overwhelming consensus.

Actually, the polls I've seen show that a majority of New Yorkers support gay marriage. You need to remember that this is a liberal state. Even republicans here are often moderate to liberal.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

(1) by popular vote.
(Where even a legislative vote like this one in New York state is unacceptable, because it no doubt is a political decision maneuvered behind the scenes, and not credibly representative of what the people of that state really want. It was 29 Democrats, who managed to leverage an additional 4 Republican votes, not an overwhelming consensus.)

Do you think there could ever be a consensus as to what constitutes a "heartfelt issue"? Also as G-man points out there are polls that show this law is actually representative of voters. That's why I think you had some republicans vote for it. They want to get elected again.

Fair play!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
You need to remember that this is a liberal state. Even republicans here are often moderate to liberal.

Couldn't you say that about California?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think NY is actually to the left of CA on a lot of issues.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

(1) by popular vote.

If you think ACORN, et al, is capable of stealing elections for public office why do you think they can't do it with referenda? For example, look at the "astroturf" going on in Wisconsin, where the unions and the DNC are trying to organize recall votes.

I never actually gave the Left credit for being able to rig a popular election. Unions are an estimated 7% of the private sector, and obviously much larger percent of the public sector (teachers, civil service, police, firefighters..) but ultimately still a minority of the total population.
I give them credit for using their smaller numbers through organized intimidation tactics (a la ACORN and SEIU) to leverage an advantage over a less vocal and less organized majority.

The thought that they could rig a popular election is scary stuff. With all the federalizing of private sectors of the economy, you may be right that they now are a majority. But I see many of the people in these sectors resisting federal takeover, rather than going along with it.
But you may be right. Unions, SEIU and so forth might be able to rig a popular election now. I may have under-estimated them.

Quote:

...even a legislative vote like this one in New York state is unacceptable, because it no doubt is a political decision maneuvered behind the scenes, and not credibly representative of what the people of that state really want. It was 29 Democrats, who managed to leverage an additional 4 Republican votes, not an overwhelming consensus.

Actually, the polls I've seen show that a majority of New Yorkers support gay marriage. You need to remember that this is a liberal state. Even republicans here are often moderate to liberal.

I acknowledged that N Y is a liberal state, where no doubt many support gay marriage. The N Y Daily news poll you cited says 56% of New York staters support gay marriage.
My point is that still leaves a large minority (44%) who do NOT support gay marriage. And that large minority will not feel represented by this vote.

The NY state gay marriage vote was supported by 29 Democrats and only 4 Republicans.

Quote:
In the end, 29 of 30 Democrats voted in favor of the bill, and four of 32 Republicans voted yes.

Obamacare was supported by a similarly "bipartisan" (i.e. very small Republican support) majority. Obamacare was leveraged through by people offered political favors for their votes. I question what favors or intimidation were used to leverage votes, both Democrat and Republican, in New York state.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I acknowledged that N Y is a liberal state, where no doubt many support gay marriage. The N Y Daily news poll you cited says 56% of New York staters support gay marriage.
My point is that still leaves a large minority (44%) who do NOT support gay marriage. And that large minority will not feel represented by this vote.

Assuming the polls are accurate, a referendum would have passed 56-44% in favor of gay marriage. So the "large minority" would still "not feel represented" by the vote.

Every election has a side that wins and a side that loses. There is simply no reason to assume that a referendum would somehow be "more fair" than an act of the duly-elected legislature.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Well, speaking as a voter, even if in the 44% minority, I still would feel it more legitimate if gay marriage, abortion, or whatever social issue, were voted into law by popular vote, rather than by court ruling, legislative vote, or presidential mandate.

I acknowledge your point that popular vote can be rigged too. But, perhaps naively, I see that as less likely and harder to pull off.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I acknowledge your point that popular vote can be rigged too. But, perhaps naively, I see that as less likely and harder to pull off.

Every election, except for the president, is by popular vote.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Well, in the specific case we're discussing of the New York state legislature...

Originally Posted By: article
In the end, 29 of 30 Democrats voted in favor of the bill, and four of 32 Republicans voted yes.

...it was legislative representatives, not the actual people, and the hidden backroom negotiations that led to just 4 Republicans approving to legalize gay marriage.

Again, if it was the clear will of the people, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I wouldn't question it.
But it was a narrow margin of victory, and there is some question whether that is truly the will of the people, or just a few Republicans (and/or Democrats) caving in as part of some sleazy compromise, against the will of the people.

I don't know why they couldn't just do it on a popular ballot, either back a few months ago in the Nov 2010 election, or in the upcoming Nov 2012 election, so that it would have been the clear will of New York voters, as opposed to arguably being just the whim or compromise of a few elite legislators, that arguably flies in the face of what voters really want.

Again, it really bugs me that nationwide, liberal judges shoot down clear majority rulings in favor of more conservative mandates, such as Proposition 8 and Proposition 187, whereas a liberal vote like gay marriage in New York state is accepted as legitimate and gospel truth.

Page 44 of 50 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard