Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Just got it yesterday and haven't had much chance to play it. So far, so good.

A very decent game. It's all first person, which I'd like to have the ability to switch to third for some of the stealth aspects of the game. Mostly because in situations where you have to drop down to a beam or walkway, your guy can totally miss it or just clip the edge and slide off. It also sometime requires just a little too much precision to climb some ledges. Still, it's nowhere near as bad as Assassin's Creed's jacked up parkour system. I expected more puzzles too. Maybe it's because I'm not really that far into the main story as I've spent a lot of time on side missions and replaying previous ones to get more loot to buy upgrades. I also wish that they'd institute some quick move points as this sneaking back and forth from one end of the city to the other is getting tiring.

Still, it's a fun game. I think that I just wish that I'd waited and spent my money on Titanfall instead. I'm not much of a fan of FPS's to begin with and even less so of online multiplayer ones (which is all Titanfall is), but I played the open Beta a couple of weeks back and it was fun as hell.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I just bought Stick of Truth. Kinda boring so far. I see a return in its future.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I just bought Stick of Truth.

You would have been better served by spending that money to remove the one from your ass.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Just got it yesterday and haven't had much chance to play it. So far, so good.

A very decent game. It's all first person, which I'd like to have the ability to switch to third for some of the stealth aspects of the game. Mostly because in situations where you have to drop down to a beam or walkway, your guy can totally miss it or just clip the edge and slide off. It also sometime requires just a little too much precision to climb some ledges. Still, it's nowhere near as bad as Assassin's Creed's jacked up parkour system. I expected more puzzles too. Maybe it's because I'm not really that far into the main story as I've spent a lot of time on side missions and replaying previous ones to get more loot to buy upgrades. I also wish that they'd institute some quick move points as this sneaking back and forth from one end of the city to the other is getting tiring.

Still, it's a fun game. I think that I just wish that I'd waited and spent my money on Titanfall instead. I'm not much of a fan of FPS's to begin with and even less so of online multiplayer ones (which is all Titanfall is), but I played the open Beta a couple of weeks back and it was fun as hell.

I like this game but have some issues with it.
Firstly the graphics barely look any different to the previous gen consoles, with some atrocious voice acting and cut scene animations.
Trying to negotiate the map is a nightmare as well, due to the different levels and windows etc. Even travelling back and forth regularly, you still can barely remember a route back.

That said, the stealth aspect is a nice change of pace from most FP games, and its certainly a game to savour rather than a blast through like the multitude of games these days.

The touchpad on the PS4 controller helps you select weapons etc easier, but its far from perfect.

I do find it funny though that whenever PC gamers start throwing out their elitist bullshit about how superior graphics on a PC are, when a series thats traditionally a PC game comes to consoles, its something that doesnt have stunning graphics.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Oh, and the other thing that pisses me off is the constant loading screens you need just for climbing through a fucking window, or moving from one tiny area to another tiny area.
I thought we had moved beyond all that shit

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
Oh, and the other thing that pisses me off is the constant loading screens you need just for climbing through a fucking window, or moving from one tiny area to another tiny area.

Especially since we're fucking downloading the games to the hard drive now. I also hate having to jimmy a window open that I'd just climbed in through. And don't make me have to repeatedly push a button to do it just to make it seem interactive. But that's more of an overall problem with games at large.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I like this game but have some issues with it.
Firstly the graphics barely look any different to the previous gen consoles, with some atrocious voice acting and cut scene animations.

I've noticed a few spots when characters' voices are a lot lower than they should be compared to all the other sounds (background noises/speech or music) in the scene. Sometime you can barely hear them.

That said, the stealth aspect is a nice change of pace from most FP games, and its certainly a game to savour rather than a blast through like the multitude of games these days.

As I said, I'm having fun going back through maps trying to be stealthier or to find loot/special items that I missed and doing the side mission stealing to progress the game too far yet.

The touchpad on the PS4 controller helps you select weapons etc easier, but its far from perfect.

I'd like more hotkeys than what we're given. Bringing up the item wheel only slows down the action, not stop it. So if you're dropped into the middle of some guards due to the imprecise jumping mechanism, they can beat the shit out of you before you switch weapons or use health.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
All that said if Pariah were to play it, he'd keep going back to the brothel mission so that he can spank it to the madame.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Funnily enough I have only just made it to the brothel mission as been doing lots of the side missions given to me by that fat bloke (no not Llance). And when I was spying through the wall, there was some guy asking to have his nipples twisted, and I am sure it was Pariah.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Especially since we're fucking downloading the games to the hard drive now. I also hate having to jimmy a window open that I'd just climbed in through. And don't make me have to repeatedly push a button to do it just to make it seem interactive. But that's more of an overall problem with games at large.

Yeah I thought similar. If I had to jimmy a window to get into the building, why do I have to jimmy it again to get out if I basically busted the lock getting in?

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Mind you, I'm playing on PS3.

I've noticed a few spots when characters' voices are a lot lower than they should be compared to all the other sounds (background noises/speech or music) in the scene. Sometime you can barely hear them.

Yeah, they kinda took Garret's voice acting to Christian Bale Batman levels of stupid at times. That coupled with the character design change (Leather gimp suit looking thing and.... eye shadow?) kinda disappointed me.

Quote:

As I said, I'm having fun going back through maps trying to be stealthier or to find loot/special items that I missed and doing the side mission stealing to progress the game too far yet.

Yeah. I always likened Thief to Hitman or even SWAT in that way. Seldom goes shit go as planned the first time around, so like it or hate it, you find yourself replaying damn near the entire game at least three times over till you get it right.

The fact that it's first-person only is kinda shitty. With Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) they implemented a wall-hug functionality that let you stick to the wall, and switched to third person, a bit like the cover system in Rainbow Six Vegas.

So far (I've only just gotten the wrench) I'm a bit disappointed.
While I'm happy to see that Thief is back, I can't help but feel it could've been done better. Admittedly, in terms of a stealth game, it's still more enjoyable than Assassin's Creed. The jumping has always been sloppy and haphazard, and while they aren't AS bad in this one, the voice acting -- particularly from NPC's -- has been corny at best. This is their fourth go at this franchise. You'd think they'd have a handle on some of that shit by now.
It's a game that makes me cringe at some of its shortcomings (so far) but I've liked the concept and gameplay itself enough over the years that I'll probably still wind up feeding that obsessive desire to keep retrying levels to improve my score.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Before any of you go on the asylum mission, quick key fire and burst arrows.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Luckily I unwittingly bought the wire cutters and scalpel early on as I woulda had a lot tougher times on missions or missed some nice collectables first time around. Just finished mission 4 with the great safe, and going round clearing up a few more side missions.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The wrench is heavily overpriced compared to its usefulness. The wire cutters earn their keep a lot more.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yeah but at least with the wrench you can get to otherwise unreachable rooms etc by going through the vents, or steal the wall plaques if you are trying to be a completist.

The wire cutters are essential though.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Gonna grab Dark Souls 2 later today.

If nothing else, I know it will be better than that piece of shit Thief. And that makes it all worth it.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Before any of you go on the asylum mission, quick key fire and burst arrows.

Interestingly I just did that mission, and didnt need to use the bow even once. Only time I did try using it, I couldnt kill any of those zombie things, and they kill you with one hit. I just sneaked past them all.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Liking Dark Souls 2 so far. Not sure if I'd say it's coming across quite so well as the first one though. The armor designs are definitely inferior. In fact, they suck compared to the original.

They remind me of the Nordic designs in Skyrim.....which, as it occurs to me, might be inspiration for this game's designs. Sucks.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I just got portal 2 and killzone 3. These killzone games are like crack. They make call of duty look like toddler games

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Killzone 3 pissed me off. I'm not saying the first two games' stories were stellar, but KZ3's writing was just fucking retarded.

I also wasn't too fond of what they did to the handling: Killzone 2's weighty feel was challenging, but not unreasonably so. Killzone 3 screwed that up. when it tried to mimic the handling of other contemporary FPSs.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Finished Dark Souls 2. The ending was a yawn-fest. That's not to say that the first game's endings offered a very thorough explanation of the events that took place, but at least they made sense--and there were two of them! In this one, you're forced to settle for the one ending.

And quite frankly, regardless of Dark Souls 2's apparent quality, Drangleic does not offer nearly as much intrigue and/or replay value as Lordran did in the first game.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

Especially since we're fucking downloading the games to the hard drive now.

yeah I'm not sure if anyone anticipated how big a problem loadscreening would become even knowing how fucking massive games are getting. I'd venture a guess that we'll see a revision of either the ps4 or xbone within a year or two featuring a solid-state drive. the cost of high-quality ones from vendors like samsung is plummeting, it wouldn't represent a significant reduction in capacity, and my guess is quite a few gamers would shell out a little more to trade up to a system where load screens are a nonissue.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
But load screens should not even be an issue anymore. I have played bigger games on both the PS3 and PS4 (Uncharted, GTA, Infamous etc), and they never really have any load screens once the game starts as they do a massive load up at the start of the game, and any other loading is pretty much done in the background while they play cutscenes etc.

What Thief has done is move backwards in time.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
As for games. I got MGS ground zeroes, which is a waste of money as I completed it in half an hour. I know its a prologue, and was aware it was not a full game, but to pay nearly £25 for something shorter than most dlc that cost nearly a quarter of the price is a joke. People defending it saying that it unlocks new side missions once completed are failing to see that some people are not going to go back and play it again, so would have been preferable if all side missions were available during initial play.
Game should have been no more than £10.

inFamous second son though is much better. Spent four days or so completing it on expert difficulty (once again, friend complaining its too short, but he plays on pussy difficulty, so what does he expect?), where I was able to play all side missions as I go, not after the game is completed. Probably got a good 15 hours or more out of it.
As per usual though, inFamous needs a second playthrough as you have to play as both good and evil with your choices if you really want to get the full benefit of this game (and see both endings).
Graphics are fantastic, voice acting and motion capture are excellent, and gameplay is damn addictive.
As much as I enjoyed Thief as a game, it was a let down on so many levels, looking no better than a PS3 game, but Second son proves you can have a great game and great graphics, large open world, and no stupid fucking load screens all the time.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
friday nights are planetside 2 nights for me.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
But load screens should not even be an issue anymore. I have played bigger games on both the PS3 and PS4 (Uncharted, GTA, Infamous etc), and they never really have any load screens once the game starts as they do a massive load up at the start of the game, and any other loading is pretty much done in the background while they play cutscenes etc.

What Thief has done is move backwards in time.

I agree, to a point. I'm not saying that Thief DIDN'T drop the ball, but in terms of load screens, I can see justification for some titles to still rely on them.

All the bigger (typically open-world) games you mention also have some noticeably short draw distances/severe pop-up, and I've noticed they also tend to be more prone to batshit crazy bugs and clipping errors. In fact, I think the only "open world" game I've played that didn't have any sort of clipping issues was Far Cry 3, but even then, the AI would regularly lose its shit, especially if an NPC was behind the wheel.

The rendering shortcomings seem minor until you're hauling ass in any especially fast vehicle, in which case you appear to be speeding through a barren wasteland with random shit sprouting out of nowhere.

I will concede that some games do a great job of eliminating load screens and not having all the draw distance issues, but they're generally set in mostly confined spaces. Dead Space 2 is probably the greatest example I can think of; I never saw any pop-up or any issues with texture rendering, but with the exception of starting the game and dying (often) there were no load screens.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck me, are you suggesting that sitting there waiting for poxy load screens on a game that has a fairly small map, graphics from a previous generation and pretty much a single colour palette is more acceptable than a hugely playable game that might have the odd graphical glitch or work around?
People do not want to see constant fucking loading screens. This is not 1994.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
94 was a golden time for gaming.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Fuck me, are you suggesting that sitting there waiting for poxy load screens on a game that has a fairly small map, graphics from a previous generation and pretty much a single colour palette is more acceptable than a hugely playable game that might have the odd graphical glitch or work around?
People do not want to see constant fucking loading screens. This is not 1994.

Yes, because randomly spastic vehicle physics (GTA, Just Cause, Far Cry 3, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire) and randomly being swallowed by an endless void under the earth's surface (see above, add Mercenaries, Infamous series, and a fistful of others...) are "hugely playable."

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And considering I played nearly all those games to death and never had those issues, yes they are hugely playable. Random occurrences vs constant loading .. yeah, you stick with your idiotic opinion.
You are talking out of your arse as always, and nothing I say will change that.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Well, yeah, nothing you say would change my opinion. That's kind of why/how people HAVE opinions.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
But your opinion is worthless as its not even remotely based on fact seeing as you think games like Farcry 3 and Red Dead Redemption are NOT massively playable.
See opinions only work if there is some kind of validity and fact to back them up.
Its kinda like someone saying they are a man, then having a gun wrestled out of their hands by a girl.
Or pretending to be their own brother, then denying it.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I love Far Cry 3 but it's not as playable as Red Dead Redemption.

I liked the territory system of FC3, but as soon as you take a section of the island away from the mercs, it basically becomes a big patch of nothing. I expected that they would employ the San Andreas system and have the mercs try and take back the land that they lost, but no attempts were made.

RDR, by comparison had enemies moving in and out of areas over and over again throughout the game.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
But your opinion is worthless as its not even remotely based on fact seeing as you think games like Farcry 3 and Red Dead Redemption are NOT massively playable.

Sooooo. You feel that it's the player's responsibility to save at every turn just in case the game's physics, AI, or even concept of "solid ground" go tits-up at random, and that in case of such an event immediately following the completion of an especially tedious mission or difficult challenge but preceding the opportunity to save would not lessen the average player's opinion of the game?

For me, if I just got through unlocking something new, getting some tough-to-reach collectible(s) or completing a tough challenge and the game breaks, I'm not too keen on going back to that particular title anytime soon.

Let me clarify: I enjoyed a lot of the games I mentioned. Far Cry 3 was great except, as Pariah stated, once you beat the game, there's really nothing to do. RDR was a game that I regretted not buying sooner. LA Noire was a mixed bag for me, but overall I WANTED to keep playing. Hell, I even got a laugh out of the Saint's Row series, retardedly easy as the actual game was.

But holy fuck, did it frustrate me when everything went to hell and some significant bit of progress was lost. What I'm saying is, if there were the odd load screens here and there, and virtually no fuckups, I'd be okay with them. I'm not saying the number of load screens in "Thief" is any more okay than the odd bug.

I'm also not saying the bugs are a constant/regular thing, but even a few here and there, especially at the wrong moment, can create a less-than-favorable experience. I mean, Jesus Christ, if I wanted to complain about a persistently buggy game I would've gone straight for The Elder Scrolls V: Buggy as Fuck... I mean Skyrim. Your inference about the regularity of the bugs I mentioned is your inference and yours alone. Good for you if you never encountered any issues, I'm sure you're not alone in that, but I'm also sure neither am I.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And once again, these issues seem restricted to you, so fucking shut up.
As for saving yourself? Why on earth would you ever rely 100% on auto save? Whenever I play games like Fallout or Elder scrolls, I am forever doing manual saves. Main reason being in case I make a shitty decision and need to back track. The same goes for FC3, RDR and GTA.
If you think its a hardship having to manual save, fuck knows how you would have survived in the days auto save didnt exist.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
autosave? really?

there's a reason quicksave and quickload have been hotkeyed at least as far back as the first half-life.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Where are the hotkeys on your XBox/PS3 controller(s), Phil?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
DAMN NEAR KILLED EM!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
Where are the hotkeys on your XBox/PS3 controller(s), Phil?

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my superior gaming platform.

#pcmasterrace

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard