Next Thread
Print Thread
#1214020 2014-09-07 10:00 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OP Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Got all 8 parts and the Hulk vs. Iron-Man crossover. It started out great, read like a murder mystery with Uatu the watcher as the victim. Then it got way too silly towards the end with gamma bullets that can kill cosmic beings, and Nick Fury (the white one) is a cosmic being called the Unseen now, having replaced Uatu as The Watcher. He's also old and chained to his post.

The Hulk vs. Iron Man tie in was better. It didn't really change much in the history of both characters, but somehow found a way to tie-in the Gamma bomb incident with Tony Stark. Drunk Stark was somehow responsible for turning Banner into the Hulk, except not really because there is a twist. They're friends now (did Hulk forget all about the illuminati thing?). Also, Hulk is intelligent again but it's not Banner in Hulk's body. Banner just made the Hulk persona as smart as him.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Also, Hulk is intelligent again but it's not Banner in Hulk's body. Banner just made the Hulk persona as smart as him.

So...kind of like Joe Fixit Hulk?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OP Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Joe Fixit just shows shades of Banner's intellect. This Hulk is smart all the time, to the point where he can understand the changes that Tony Stark did to the original gamma bomb simply by glancing at the blueprints/schematics.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I liked when Peter David first made the Hulk intelligent in his run with McFarlane (my favorite work by both David and McFarlane) in HULK 331-345 or so. That, for me, was the most readable HULK run. And David went on writing the series for another 150 or so issues with a number of good artists, but none as riveting as that first 15 issues.

I also liked a three-issue storyline in the Michelinie/Bingham/Layton run (issues 131-133, 1980) where they tried to cure Banner, but ended up with Hulk's "Hulk kill!" brain going berserk in Banner's body.

Or the McKenzie/Miller/Rubenstein story in DAREDEVIL 163, where Banner just tries to get out of New York City, but rude people on the subway cause him to Hulk out and wreck the city. And beat the crap out of Daredevil.

I can't fairly evaluate the new series you list, since I haven't read it. But generally, I'm sick to death of how they can't seem to preserve established continuity anymore, and constantly have to tear down, reboot, or otherwise radically transform characters to the point that I can't even recognize them as the same characters.
That's okay for a one-time Elseworlds type story. But at some point I'd like to see another era of expanded continuity, the way the 1980's era of creators like Stern, Romita Jr., Mantlo, Hannigan, Byrne, Simonson, Michelinie, Layton, Shooter, Perez and others so beautifully expanded on the Lee/Kirby and Lee/Ditko 1960's Marvel runs. Enriching these series greatly, but without tearing down what went before.

A lost art, it seems.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Discussing the Hulk's various incarnations as intelligent or stupid reminded me of this page by Dave Sim, the inside cover from HOWARD THE DUCK magazine, from November 1980 (out the same month as CEREBUS 22) :

So far as I know, the only single page Sim has ever done for Marvel Comics of their characters.
Although parodied frequently in altered form and by other names in CEREBUS.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Man! ...

http://www.comics.org/series/80318/covers/

...do you think they had enough variant covers for this series? I count 16 variant covers for issue 1.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OP Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
the best part of the series was the early diner scene with Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Wolverine, and Black Widow trading spy/war stories with each other. It's a nice way of showing that these characters were veterans and had to go through the same time periods (and the same experiences, excluding BW.)

...and then they shat all over it towards the end by deconstructing the Nick Fury character, by revealing that all those Nick Furies were LMDs and that they've rarely encountered the real one since he lost one of his eyes. He's been in the background being all Elijah Snow and stuff. T

Also cheapens the rest of the Marvel U. All of those superheroes, from The Avengers to the X-Men and even Squirrell Girl - they were only fighting the cosmic and mystical threats that Nick Fury didn't find important enough to whack off behind the scenes.

Rocket Raccoon was just a cameo but he did get a few good barbs in, on Frank Castle, of all people.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

It sounds like it would be as unsatisfying as the Didio/Giffen OMAC eight-issue series out two years ago or so (I bought it later in collected trade form.)

On the surface, it was a fun story, and even had what appeared to be Tuftan from the Kirby KAMANDI series (any reader of 70's Kirby KAMANDI and OMAC knows that the two series in an unexplained way were related, that OMAC, described in letter pages but not in an actual story, was supposed to be Kamandi's grandfather in KAMANDI # 1). But as with many recent series, it teases and suggests, but ultimately disappoints and goes nowhere, and never commits to actually developing previous continuity.

I love the 1986 ROCKET RACCOON four-issue miniseries by Mantlo and Mignola (Mignola describes it as the series that saved his career after a long pause where no one called him for work, but since then he's always been busy!)

The first few Rocket Racoon stories were in black-and-white issues of MARVEL PREMIERE magazine in the late 70's. And with the new Guadians of the Galaxy movie, are suddenly hard to find and ridiculously priced.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
the best part of the series was the early diner scene with Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Wolverine, and Black Widow trading spy/war stories with each other. It's a nice way of showing that these characters were veterans and had to go through the same time periods (and the same experiences, excluding BW.)

Somehow this reminds me of MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE 51, a very early story by Peter Gillis, with art by Frank Miller/Bob McLeod, really nice art and a fun story, where all the shown characters are playing poker, when an alert comes in that the S.H.I.E.L.D. helecarrier is under attack by Hydra, and they have a heck of a time fighting them off, before going back to their card game.

Highly recommended. Good story, and fantastic early Miller art. I like Miller's early stuff the best, of all his work.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Some pages of ORIGINAL SIN (to try and get back on-topic: )

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4745029.html

I can't complain about the art. Pretty nice.
And like you say, Rocket Raccoon is a nice addition to the story.

This Arthur Adams cover is pretty cool too:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/igno..._cv0001.jpg.jpg

As is this:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/igno..._cv0001.jpg.jpg

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2014/07/adams-variants-bw-102278.jpg

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I figured the whole point of Original Sin was shamelessly killing off White Nick so Black Nick can be Main Nick from now on like in the movies (Wondy's gonna hate that... because he's a fan of old fashioned Marvel continuity, that is!) (also cause he's rascist), so this actually sounds better than I thought it would be.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OP Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lothar misread Black Nick as Black Dick.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
I still think it says black dick.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I figured the whole point of Original Sin was shamelessly killing off White Nick so Black Nick can be Main Nick from now on like in the movies (Wondy's gonna hate that... because he's a fan of old fashioned Marvel continuity, that is!) (also cause he's rascist), so this actually sounds better than I thought it would be.

Now, Mxy, let's be fair. WB did just post, approvingly, the "colored" version of some artwork.

Link Copied to Clipboard