Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1216008 2014-12-20 1:39 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Harley's passing is crazy. I don't know if it makes the internet feel realer, or its just a great reminder of this odd little clan we developed or... what. But it's weird -- in addition to obviously being very sad. The good, if you're allowed to see it, is that there's still very much a family of these same weird folks. All of which got me thinking how much I really enjoy hanging here, and how much I really miss hanging here, since I don't really do that anymore. Maybe I should change that.

100 posts across the past three years for me, and 45-fucking-thousand in the years prior. Life has changed.

So... for anyone peeking in, now or in months or years to come, maybe this could be a nice little "who the fuck are you now" thread.

Me? I still live in Hoboken. I'm still married to Alexis. I have a kid now, Jake, who is crazily 15 months old. I still work "in computers" in NYC. I use capital letters now when I type things. sometimes. I have a Nintendo Wii U, obviously - though one or two games are even still cellophane, because the TV is too close to Jake's room. In some ways, I often feel shockingly old, since I sorta am now, and other times feel like I'm still interning at DC Comics. Except, like... fatter, I guess. Certainly more tired.

That's... more or less it.

Life got way zanier a few years back as my career got more intense. Tripley so, since Jake. The career stuff, who cares. But Jake is my best buddy, so I can't wait to see him when I get home.

I don't have nearly enough time before Christmas to buy all the presents I was already supposed to buy. Thus, Amazon Prime is going to get put to good use -- likely this evening, as soon as I stop typing this. ...which is now.

how 'bout you?

giant picture
Rob #1216009 2014-12-20 1:45 AM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Still in Texas, working for an insurance company after about two years as a correctional officer. Divorced, last relationship ended in me receiving chemical burns.
But. I've got a fucking good job. I'm getting in better shape every day. And I've got some amazing friends and something going on with an even more amazing woman, even if it's not quite official yet.

Edit: And I've quit smoking, thanks to an E-Cigarette. Finally managed, Pro. ;\)

Last edited by PCG342; 2014-12-20 1:46 AM.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #1216013 2014-12-20 3:31 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm still very active on the boards, so I got nothing to share. I kept up with most everyone through Facebook - even ones who have already left the board and ones who aren't really interested in keeping up with me.

me and some of the guys like mxy, Daves and b7 have already noted how the Internet sometimes makes us forget that the people behind the screen names are real mortal people who could disappear any day, and have made some attempts at getting in touch with other people (even if it's just through the internet again, like social media group pages or another forum.) harley is sort of a reminder that we're not being too melodramatic.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I've been pretty continuously active on social media as well. still in northeast Ohio, have been building computers and selling components for about three years now. still retail, but a much sweeter gig this time around. still married, and my little girl is three now. you've probably heard more than enough about my podcast already, so I doubt I need to elaborate for the purposes of this thread.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Afghanistan.

I've been trying to do all that I can with my time while still posting here every now and again.

I'm not gonna lie. My interest dwindled over time, so I had to force myself to come here to keep it alive in some fashion. Don't ask me why I felt the need to do so, because I have no fucking clue. Thankfully, Gamergate came along, so it was easier than usual.

I've been in the public sector for far longer than I would have thought--and especially longer than I've wanted. I may have a shot at an extremely lucrative contracting job in the very near future, but after spending the better part of a year with those lazy fuckheads, I'm not certain I want to be associated with their sponging ilk any longer.

Right now I'm enjoying a relatively brief twilight time between active duty and a civilian lifestyle. I just recently got back home, but I'm still on orders, and my new interim job doesn't start for awhile. As such, I've been catching up on....everything. News, hobbies, career options, etc..

Pariah #1216022 2014-12-20 5:08 AM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Im sure I mentioned it happened but I married my long time girlfriend.

I'm working full time at a large chain pet store.

I still read these boards a lot, I just haven't had much to say.

Some hampsters have comically large testicles.

Pariah #1216023 2014-12-20 5:11 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Is this like the end of Sandlot? If so I'm the one who went on to invent bungee jumping.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I think this is like the end of Return of the Jedi, where we get awarded with medals and Sammitch is a wookie.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I left here, I came back for a bit recently then kinda got bored with it being dead here.
Been in my current job (funnily enough exactly the same retail sector as Jaburg) three and a half years, and recently moved back into management.
Got a new bike this year. Only had it up to 130mph so far, but I aim to hit 160mph soon ... basically for no other reason than I want to and the bike can do that.
Still do most of the same shit as before with games n shit (just on the PS4 instead of the PS3, although I still own that). Listen to loud music, go to shit tons of gigs and look at nekkid girls on the internet.

On a side note, I also went back in time and invented Frank Stallone.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Is this like the end of Sandlot? If so I'm the one who went on to invent bungee jumping.

I think it's more like the end of Animal House with Pariah in the Neidermeyer role.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1216043 2014-12-20 6:54 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I think it's more like the end of Animal House with Pariah in the Neidermeyer role.

\:lol\:

When do we see the Hon. Senator and Mrs. BSAMS?

thedoctor #1216050 2014-12-20 10:38 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

I became a United States Senator.

Wonder Boy #1216053 2014-12-21 12:24 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
zero. point. zero.

giant picture
Rob #1216054 2014-12-21 1:16 AM
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts

the G-man #1216057 2014-12-21 1:49 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

\:lol\:

When do we see the Hon. Senator and Mrs. BSAMS?

Unfortunately, it seems like BSAMS has become more like D-Day.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1216068 2014-12-21 3:31 PM
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Is Dark Typhoid/typhoon/first amongst Dave/s still around? Grimm?

Pig Iran #1216070 2014-12-21 4:00 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

T-Dave was posting regularly here about a year ago for the first time in years, for a month or two. And then announced he was leaving to do lawyer-stuff or some other personal business for a while, and that's the last I saw of him.

I thought Grimm had posted more recently.

Rob #1216071 2014-12-21 4:02 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
zero. point. zero.

Hey, they can't all be funny. I gave it a shot.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I think this is like the end of Return of the Jedi, where we get awarded with medals and Sammitch is a wookie.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
ahem... also, it's Wookiee. it has clearly been spelled with two E's from its earliest instances in print media. you, good sir, should be ashamed at this egregious lapse in continuity.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Sammitch
ahem... also, it's Wookiee. it has clearly been spelled with two E's from its earliest instances in print media. you, good sir, should be ashamed at this egregious lapse in continuity.

GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY, NERD!

Rob #1216079 2014-12-21 11:23 PM
few posts
few posts
Give it another five years and these boards will be down to the G-Man pacing back and forth, muttering to himself like Abin Cooper at the end of Red State.

backwards7 here.

I was diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis in 2007 but I'm okay. I'm stubborn. I'll go down kicking and screaming and clawing at the earth.

I worked in a hospital for close to half a decade but resigned because I thought the site managers were playing fast and loose with patient safety.

Now I'm employed on the more benign end of health and social care policy: Put people at the centre of every decision you make, argue from that point and try not to concede too much ground. You won't go wrong.

I've had odds and ends published, I've been in a play on BBC Radio Four. A few years ago I won the (now defunct) Word Magazine blogger of the year award.

Dave and I met briefly in London earlier this year. We sat at a picnic table outside a cafe in Hyde Park and crammed a lifetime of face to face conversation into a couple of hours.

The internet holds the voices of the dead in suspension. My friend Cat (who also had PSC) passed on the 20th December last year. When I want to remember her I visit her old blog or skim through her twitter feed.

I never interacted with Harley. I remember her as a friendly presence on the board but cannot say that I knew her.

I hope that those here who knew her better than I did can derive some comfort and maybe stir some fond memories by reading what she left behind.

"Season three of The Wire opens with two towers being blown up. This initiates a dumb and protracted war. Now people will come to me and ask, 'Is there a metaphor here?' Well what the fuck do you think?"

- David Simon
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Red State is great.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Still live in PA. I've been working as a contractor for the Army the past 3 years. My oldest daughter just turned 21 & my youngest daughter will turn 16 in February(they were 7 & 2 when I joined the RKMBS....ouch!). I've also just passed the 11 year mark working at my local comic shop. I get a huge stack of books every week and maybe read 10 of 'em and never get around to the others,but I don't pay for 'em so it's all good. I don't do much with video games as I had in the past & the most recent game I purchased was Lego Lord of the Rings for the Wii. I spend more time(and money)going to hockey games these days since I have off weekends and AHL hockey doesn't cost much to see live. $36 and I'm right there on the ice. All in all,life is pretty good.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
allan1 #1216101 2014-12-23 10:25 PM
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I still live in northeast Ohio. Got out of the copier industry about 2 years ago (good riddance to that piece of shit company) and got a job I love at a very small IT company as a network engineer. It's a great company to work for and I feel lucky that I actually met the owner when I was on the job installing ocr software for a mutual clients copier. I bought a house in a rural area close enough to civilization but far enough so that my neighbor has a 100 yard shooting range in his back yard and deer and wild turkeys regularly hang out in mine. Unfortunately my marriage is still rough: she completely caved to her alcoholism and it's gotten to the point that if she keeps drinking she's going to die, but if she stops she'll die. She actually quit for about a month and had to be hospitalized for a week at thanksgiving because she couldn't keep anything down and ended up with lesions on her nervous system. They won't give her any more drugs to cope so she's going to try out-patient rehab next month. We'll see how that goes.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wondrous.Platinum.Owl
Give it another five years and these

Dave and I met briefly in London earlier this year. We sat at a picnic table outside a cafe in Hyde Park and crammed a lifetime of face to face conversation into a couple of hours.

I should add that was one of the funniest few hours ever. Pissed myself laughing talking about that last raid on the DCMBs where Nowhereman pretended to be John Byrne. backwards7 poked fun at Warren Ellis. We drank tea. Funny afternoon.

As for me, well, we had a another kid, a wee lad named Oliver who is now 15 months. Enrolled to do a PhD. Teaching occasionally at a university. Oldest daughter is entering high school. That should put things into perspective, you old bastards. I started posting here when she was born.

Read Uncanny X-force as a tpb. Holy crap that was good.

I was playing Words With Friends with Basti there for a year or so, but I quit the habit back in may and haven't played since so I've lost track of him.

Son of a Mxy and I do some work stuff together. He is aweshome. I commend him to any of you as a social media manager.

Won some good cases. Catch up with friends. Travelled a bit but not too much. Still collecting armour. Started collecting old coins. Still don't have a sports car. I think that gives me an excuse to prolong my mid-life crisis.

Writing a book.

That'd be it. Nice to see everyone.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

300+ posts
300+ posts
I'd honestly forgotten about these boards. I lost all my links when I lost my last computer and it took a random moment recently to remember that I used to post here.

I pretty much to restart my life over from scratch (long story, but I'm in a much better place now). Oh, yeah, I also came out. Definitely going to try to post here more often again.

"What kind of scary ass clowns came to your birthday?"
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Still in SC, working in finance. The wife and I split up last year, and just finalized the divorce last week. It was an amicable split, as we realized we'd grown apart over the years and just worked better as friends. Been dating around again for the first time in ten years, and it's a whole new ballgame. I'm loving it, honestly. Career-wise, I'm stuck in a rut though. I long for a creative outlet. But that shit just doesn't pay a living wage (so far). Toying with the idea of moving to the west coast in the next five years. Going to wait and see where life leads me, first.

I thought about this place while I was gone, and even peaked in a couple of times. But not only was I too busy to join in posting again (still kind of am), but it was a time in my life where I'd allowed darker aspects of my personality to dominate, and steeped myself in political nonsense to the point of losing sight of the rational horizon.

Luckily time allows for change and growth. Some things never change, though: I love Doctor Who, I'm bald, I still love marijuana, and Snarf is gay.

Speaking of, serious fucking question: Who was Snarf?

Don't tell me that was a real person. Who is that alt? It's been 15 years since this place started. It's time to step out into the spotlight and take a bow.

Anyway, back to why I'm here again.

No matter her real name, Kahlia was always "Harley" to me. The term had lost all connection or connotation to the fictional villainess. Harley was a sweet, kind, witty, sexy woman that could talk comics as easily, if not better, than most fanboys. She was upfront with her opinions, strong in her assertions, and she knew how to make me genuinely laugh. That last part I don't take lightly, as that's a short list to be on. Not the social-laugh to be used in casual interactions. Not the strained laughter of the RKMBs Repeated Memes. Actually laugh, in front of my computer, out loud in the real world. We had fun flirting and pretending that one day, in the next life, we would hook up and have monkey-sex. "Next time" we would always say.

I remember I always felt secretly proud because she had sent me a picture of the real her, back when no one (pretty much) knew what she looked like. She trusted me and that made me feel special, whether I was or not. After a couple of years of struggling with work and life, I drifted away from here and her. Got a Christmas email from her every so often. But gone were our chats of old.

Then no more than a month ago, I got a Friend request from "Kahlia Fisher" on Facebook. I had no idea who that was, yet I didn't deny the request. After a couple of days, I simply accepted the request planning on asking who she was and why she was Friending me.

She replied to me: "I'm the woman waiting for you, next time. ;\) "

We took a couple of nights messaging each other, catching up. She seemed to be in a good place, but I never got a chance to dig deep.

Then I come home from work one night and she's gone. Forever.

Life is random. Death, doubly so.

Kahlia Fisher is going to be missed deeply and more painfully by those who knew her far better and deeper than myself. Grimm. Nowhereman. Many others, I'm sure. But, I will miss Harley. That vibrant, beautiful, fun persona that always kept me on my toes, and always had a "wink" to type.

Next time, Kahlia. Next time.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: TC
I'd honestly forgotten about these boards. I lost all my links when I lost my last computer and it took a random moment recently to remember that I used to post here.

I pretty much to restart my life over from scratch (long story, but I'm in a much better place now). Oh, yeah, I also came out. Definitely going to try to post here more often again.

Good to see you again, TC!

300+ posts
300+ posts
It's good to be back. After the new year, I might start posting many a story to the writer's forum.

"What kind of scary ass clowns came to your birthday?"
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves

I should add that was one of the funniest few hours ever. Pissed myself laughing talking about that last raid on the DCMBs where Nowhereman pretended to be John Byrne. backwards7 poked fun at Warren Ellis. We drank tea. Funny afternoon.

The funniest thing is most people believed I actually was Byrne, until someone at DC (may have been Warren Ellis actually) pointed out that Byrne would never forget to leave a space after a comma. Since that day I now always leave that space in honour of that day.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Still in SC, working in finance. The wife and I split up last year, and just finalized the divorce last week. It was an amicable split, as we realized we'd grown apart over the years and just worked better as friends. Been dating around again for the first time in ten years, and it's a whole new ballgame. I'm loving it, honestly. Career-wise, I'm stuck in a rut though. I long for a creative outlet. But that shit just doesn't pay a living wage (so far). Toying with the idea of moving to the west coast in the next five years. Going to wait and see where life leads me, first.

I thought about this place while I was gone, and even peaked in a couple of times. But not only was I too busy to join in posting again (still kind of am), but it was a time in my life where I'd allowed darker aspects of my personality to dominate, and steeped myself in political nonsense to the point of losing sight of the rational horizon.

Luckily time allows for change and growth. Some things never change, though: I love Doctor Who, I'm bald, I still love marijuana, and Snarf is gay.

Speaking of, serious fucking question: Who was Snarf?

Don't tell me that was a real person. Who is that alt? It's been 15 years since this place started. It's time to step out into the spotlight and take a bow.

Anyway, back to why I'm here again.

No matter her real name, Kahlia was always "Harley" to me. The term had lost all connection or connotation to the fictional villainess. Harley was a sweet, kind, witty, sexy woman that could talk comics as easily, if not better, than most fanboys. She was upfront with her opinions, strong in her assertions, and she knew how to make me genuinely laugh. That last part I don't take lightly, as that's a short list to be on. Not the social-laugh to be used in casual interactions. Not the strained laughter of the RKMBs Repeated Memes. Actually laugh, in front of my computer, out loud in the real world. We had fun flirting and pretending that one day, in the next life, we would hook up and have monkey-sex. "Next time" we would always say.

I remember I always felt secretly proud because she had sent me a picture of the real her, back when no one (pretty much) knew what she looked like. She trusted me and that made me feel special, whether I was or not. After a couple of years of struggling with work and life, I drifted away from here and her. Got a Christmas email from her every so often. But gone were our chats of old.

Then no more than a month ago, I got a Friend request from "Kahlia Fisher" on Facebook. I had no idea who that was, yet I didn't deny the request. After a couple of days, I simply accepted the request planning on asking who she was and why she was Friending me.

She replied to me: "I'm the woman waiting for you, next time. ;\) "

We took a couple of nights messaging each other, catching up. She seemed to be in a good place, but I never got a chance to dig deep.

Then I come home from work one night and she's gone. Forever.

Life is random. Death, doubly so.

Kahlia Fisher is going to be missed deeply and more painfully by those who knew her far better and deeper than myself. Grimm. Nowhereman. Many others, I'm sure. But, I will miss Harley. That vibrant, beautiful, fun persona that always kept me on my toes, and always had a "wink" to type.

Next time, Kahlia. Next time.

thedoctor #1216150 2014-12-27 9:03 PM
THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
I've been trapped in a time loop!

Ya crazy bastards ya!

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
Franta #1216151 2014-12-27 9:05 PM
THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
And oh yeah

Instead just working in the psych ward

I am now running it!

Passed my first state inspection as leader with no deficiencies!

TAKE THAT KARL MARX!

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
Who remembers the infamous raid on the Bat Boreds?

And/or

Bring back Franta?

The Cracked boards ?

larry at the marvel boards?

Silky jinn?

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
Franta #1216153 2014-12-27 9:45 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Don't pin the blame on me! You came here on your own free will! <sigh!> Stupid bat-boarders!

-----once over and twice twisted---------
LLance #1216154 2014-12-27 9:50 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Frank in charge of the loony bin? Who would have thought of such a thing? Congrats!!!

LLance #1216155 2014-12-27 10:11 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
DAV says Dr. Smith is alive and well.

LLance #1216156 2014-12-28 12:05 AM
THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
Long live rock

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
Franta #1216158 2014-12-28 12:25 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Franta
And oh yeah

Instead just working in the psych ward

I am now running it!

Passed my first state inspection as leader with no deficiencies!

TAKE THAT KARL MARX!

Aha...so the inmates really are running the asylum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard