Print Thread
#1216010 2014-12-20 1:55 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
So, yeah, I still comic book. Entirely via the Comixology app, nowadays, despite the new version of the app being utter garbage. And, yes, I still read Batman comics. My regular purchases include Batman, Batman & Robin, and Batman Eternal (I've shockingly given up on Dark Knight and Detective).

One non-Bat book I buy every week is the Injustice series. ...which is amazing. Every panel of every issue is something spectacularly epic. Here's some spoilers!
Warning, Spoiler:
Lois; pregnant! Superman murders Joker! Damian helps kill Nightwing!
...and they're not even really giving much away, because crazy shit (and significantly crazier shit than this) happens all the time.

For being "just" a video game tie-in, the book is routinely fun.

giant picture
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Batman & Robin is my favorite superhero book right now..regular Batman gets way more attention, but i loved the first 20 or so issue of B&R.

Last edited by Pig Iran; 2014-12-20 2:03 AM.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I heard Injustice was surprisingly good when it first started but I haven't g- HOLY SHIT ROB IS USING CAPS

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I dont have the comic books, but I do have this dusty statue.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Piggie
Batman & Robin is my favorite superhero book right now..regular Batman gets way more attention, but i loved the first 20 or so issue of B&R.

Also good stuff. Damian is awesome

Originally Posted By: Notmxy
I heard Injustice was surprisingly good when it first started but I haven't g- HOLY SHIT ROB IS USING CAPS

I still only use caps for emotion and expression. Here, I'm excited about the start of every sentence!

(And yes, it's just a "video game spinoff book", but it's so so good. And each issue is only a buck!)

Originally Posted By: Nowie
I dont have the comic books, but I do have this dusty statue.

Choke that bitch!!

...wait... that's really happening!

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
The game's story is tightly tied to the comics, so you do need the videogames to know what eventually happens. The character models are just about the only awful thing about it: Superman looks like a constipated Ryan Reynolds while Wonder Woman looks exactly like Ryan Reynolds.

Spoilers: there's a scene where Superman heat visioned the fuck out of Shazam's head for trying to defect.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
 Quote:
And each issue is only a buck!)

Yeah,but they are only giving you about ten pages at a time for that purchase. I think it would be a few pennies cheeper if you bought the print version at a comic shop. O f course then you would be back to having comics to store somewhere or sell the comics for a lot less than what you paid for them.

How you doin'?
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I had a flick through the first monthly at my local comic shop. Didn't think much of Superman's murder of the Joker and put it back.

Sup-oilers.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
that was the first issue! comparatively, now one of the tamer "big things" to happen in the book.

giant picture
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
I was given a comic shop giftcard for Christmas. Not what I would have wanted since I haven't read any comics in almost forever--not that I actually wanted any presents in the first place.

Anywho, out of curiosity and happenstance, I took the plunge and bought the first and third TPBs for the new Dark Knight series--mainly because I saw Paul Jenkins' name on them.

They were a lot better than I thought they'd be. Not exactly up to par with the earlier LotDK of yore, but it mostly concentrates on Batman and Alfred and the writing doesn't get too radical or stupid. They're just decent stories. While I wouldn't classify them as the best material I've read, their stories are fun little snippets that don't overstay their welcome--like the massive crossovers that drove me away from DC entirely.

It was quite a surprise.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I was given a comic shop giftcard for Christmas. Not what I would have wanted since I haven't read any comics in almost forever--not that I actually wanted any presents in the first place.

Anywho, out of curiosity and happenstance, I took the plunge and bought the first and third TPBs for the new Dark Knight series--mainly because I saw Paul Jenkins' name on them.

They were a lot better than I thought they'd be. Not exactly up to par with the earlier LotDK of yore, but it mostly concentrates on Batman and Alfred and the writing doesn't get too radical or stupid. They're just decent stories. While I wouldn't classify them as the best material I've read, their stories are fun little snippets that don't overstay their welcome--like the massive crossovers that drove me away from DC entirely.

It was quite a surprise.

Don't let the pariah seal of approval put you off these stories. They are actually are rather good.

In my experience, Batman stories that aren't overly hampered by crossovers and continuity tend to be more enjoyable.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Crossovers are generally very annoying. Look at what is currently happening with Marvel and that Red Skull storyline. What a mess.

Pimping my site, again.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Yeah, I spent an entire weekend backreading the Axis storyline. I understand what happened but it's still a complete mess because there's way too many big events and crossovers happening at the same time:

- The Axis inversion event itself
- Steve Rogers losing his super soldier serum and growing old/being replaced by Falcon, which happened during a separate big event
- an event where Steve Rogers, SHIELD and the Illuminati discover ongoing incursions by parallel versions of themselves, and going to war with their alternate reality counterparts.
- Hulk gaining super intelligence, and then transforming into Kluh as a result of Axis

...it's made even worse because you kind of need to brush up on past events (Avengers vs X-Men, Original Sin, Thor the Unworthy) to get a full picture of what is happening in Axis.

There are also events going on that don't fit anywhere in Axis, like the Spider-Verse thingie in the Spidey titles and Wolverine's death + their Wolverine version of Return of Superman, where failed Weapon X experiments (including one that looks exactly like Logan and has his memories) get stuck in a story with Mystique, Lady Deathstrike, X-23, and Sabretooth (who is still his usual sociopath murderer self in this story even though he's already inverted on the Axis storyline.)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Ah well, with that synopsis you've pretty much buried any prospect of me buying it.

Pimping my site, again.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Spider verse has been fun. The scenes with the daily newspaper comic Spiderman and the hostess twinkie Spiderman were LOL funny.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I bought Ultimate Cataclysm of whatever it was called - Galactus devours New Jersey - thinking it would be better than it was.

Spoilers: Thor gets trapped in the Negative Zone with Galactus - easily retrievable. Fucking Macgyver could rescue him with a toilet roll and a tanning machine. Captain America dies in a plane crash - no body seen. Iron Man cries. Um. That's it.

Waste of bloody money. The point is that it was a nice way to read a crossover - as a consolidated volume.

Same goes for Age of Ultron - which was worth the purchase, and was quite chilling in places. Not quite sure why Pym's execution and the subsequent non-existence of Ultron and the Vision meant Morgan Le Fey would conquer Europe, and assume I missed some obscure old Avengers story where Vision saves the day against Le Fey, but I didn't need to know it in order to enjoy the story. And Colonel America - great concept. Anyway, the collected work was nice to read and I didn't have to dick about with individual titles.

Pimping my site, again.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Is the Amalgam Spider-Boy in Spider-Verse? If he shows up for half a panel I'll buy it.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I lost track honestly.

It's got:

spider-ham
gwen stacy as spider girl
captain britain as spider-man (or is it spider-man as captain britain?)
bruce banner as spider-man
the doc ock one
miles morales
the captain universe one
a vampire one
the clone one
the other clone one
the 616 peter parker
the man-spider

and others. They die so fast. 3 have died in the first issue i've read.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
They promised every Spider-Man ever but Spider-Boy is half owned by DC, so I'm curious if they'll use him. Also he's awesome.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Also, I just found out that all the inconsistencies I've been seeing is because the current continuity is divided between the Ultimate universe, the mainstream one, and Marvel NOW (kinda like DC's 52?).

And there's all the different earths they have like DC's schtick, with Earth 616 being the main one, Earth 1999-something being the marvel cinematic, Earth 1610 for the Ultimate universe, Earth 91119 for the superhero squad, and a bunch of others they can pull out of their arse anytime they want.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
It's a pretty big arse from all the donkey sex JQ did.

Link Copied to Clipboard