Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pariah Offline OP
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I have to go to bed, but my best advice is to watch her commentary on the subject. She breaks down the issue and its implications the most eloquently I've seen thusfar.

Originally Posted By: Pariah

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
GamerGate is freedom!

GamerGate is LIFE!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Gamergate is the most fucking pointless bullshit I have ever read.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog

"Playing soldier" hasn't helped Pariah grow up at all.

Our taxpayer dollars at work, I'm afraid.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
JLA would much rather I try to unionize everyone here and form a picket line outside of Khandahar. That's how you do "grown up" stuff apparently...

Quote:

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/10/gamergate-destructoid-corruption-and-ruined-careers/

Pretty long article. The primary gist of it is that the GameJournoPros conspired with Destructoid to get Pinsoff fired and discredited for investigating fraud within the IndieGoGo campaign.

GamerGate's efficacy may or may not be in question (looks like it's growing pretty big though), but "pointless" is rather nihilist--if not ignorantly simplistic.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
What I would prefer is that you stop being a leech living off of that overly generous government paycheck that is coming out of my pocket, fake soldier.

Besides, last time you were anywhere near a picket line, a little kid taunted you, and you haven't been the same since.

\:lol\:

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The bitterness is strong with this one...

On that note: Mercedes just pulled ads from Gawker.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Did you marry an SJW or what?

realized I never did give you an honest answer. so I will.

I honestly never cared about stuff like this. I have a Y chromosome; it doesn't affect me, you know? I felt like feminism as a whole had overstayed its welcome, buncha leftard pinko harpies coattailing on what was probably a legitimate social movement several decades ago for the sake of political expediency. sure, things probably aren't perfect for women, but things aren't perfect for anyone, so why lose sleep over it?

well, ain't it a sonofabitch, but not only is there a woman sharing my last name, but now there's a little girl running around my townhome who looks disturbingly like me and is gonna grow up to be - shockingly enough - a woman. not only do I have to be concerned about individuals other than myself, I actually have to be cognizant of what they and other women in our society go through on a daily basis. and the more I learn, the less I like.

look, I'm still nowhere near a feminist, and I disagree with what a lot of current gender theory espouses. but if you look objectively at situations just like this, women are getting blamed for decisions they didn't make and are being threatened with not just violence but the most abhorrent expressions of violence, more or less because they're women and it's just programmed into us at a cultural level that there are just some things women should know better than to do.

long story short, I don't give a flying fuck what it does to gamer culture or the hallowed institution of game journalism. I don't want my daughter growing up in a society where she's viewed and treated as less than in any way by virtue of her gender, and that outweighs my concern for the quality and content of video games I get to play by orders of magnitude. if that puts us at odds, it's nothing personal, but since you asked, that's why I'm not concerned about the same aspects of this issue as you.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Please point out where I, or any of the most vocal of GamerGate, have said that women should be treated differently.

I'm not particuarly certain why you've chosen be a white knight for Zoe Quinn and/or Sarkeesian on this issue with all the evidence stacked against both of them. I mean, you've already acknowledged that their behavior has been shady, and yet you're still pushing the same narrative as they are. The name for you at the moment is "concerned trolling." I didn't come up with that phrase, but it's fairly accurate.

What's even worse is that they haven't been the issue for quite some time now, but you still made a rant having to do with feminism rather than the charges of corruption in the industry. Is it really that difficult to care about the integrity of businesses and your daughter's welfare at the same time? Please to keep in mind that she may be playing these games, after all. Do you really want individuals like them controlling thoses games' messages when your child's behind the controller?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Pariah submits after two posts from me.

I just keep getting better with age...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

When I indirectly compel you to start talking like Prometheus, there's really not that much more damage I could possibly do.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...=HP_technology:
How some Gamergate supporters say the controversy could stop “in one week”

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

When I indirectly compel you to start talking like Prometheus, there's really not that much more damage I could possibly do.

I was right then. Two posts, and then the white flag of surrender.

Nice to know resilient guys like you are fighting the war on terrahhh.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: Cracked sent me an email a few days ago
[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: The same day Zoe issued her article, to be exact
[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: They told me they are strong supporters of the Social Justice Movement, and are through sitting behind while the harassment goes on
[9/18/14 12:44 AM] moot: They said if I didn't stop Gamergate on 4chan, they would write an article that "exposes" 4chan for the "true cesspit" it is. They're also going to basically get feminists to hack in and take down my site.

This is amazing.

I also love how Gamergate gives their enemies names that sound like awesome '90s shows (Ultra Morphin' Social Justice Warriors, White Knight Attack Force Squad Team 2999) while saying stuff like "we will wrap the world in fire" "we will turn our enemies into smoldering piles of ashes" and "bow down before Doom, Fantastic Fools!"

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/01/misandry-in-the-gamergate-controversy

Seems like a fairly balanced article from what I know or care about this.

On another point, Mxy, I got ask you what's the deal with cracked lately? (present company and Seanbaby excepted) It seems like every week it becomes less and less of a humor site and more and more a bunch of people just ranting and raving about whatever real world topic sets them off. Don't get me wrong. Some of the articles are still reasonably interesting (Gladstone ought to get a gig as a serious music critic somewhere), but they're interesting in the same way you might enjoy something at Rolling Stone, the Huffington Post or the editorial page of the local newspaper. Did the site get new editors or they just decide it's easier to fake drama then comedy?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I blame Mxy. Ever since he got on the Internet, everything just went downhill.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The editors are the same: it's funny to see right wing people saying the site went to shit since Wong took over, considering he took over in 2007 (and has been writing those articles since like 1999). What's changed is the amount/diversity of content. A few years ago there were two new articles per day, usually one fact-based list with dick jokes thrown in between and one column, which can be whatever the fuck the columnist wants to talk about. As the site got bigger they started adding more daily content, including videos, photoplasties and other types of articles, but there's still at least one daily fact/dick joke list like always.

The topics depend on what the people in the forums are pitching and what the columnists want to talk about. Also, cultural Marxism and whatnot.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
From what I see it's less a political thing at Cracked these days and more of just a "this thing bugs me and if I write that it bugs me that makes it funny" (i.e., what you describe as "one column which can be whatever the fuck the columnist wants to talk about"). It seems as if the site is less of a humor site and more of an opinion one these days. Even the photoplasties are turning into editorials typed onto a stock image.

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: Cracked sent me an email a few days ago
[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: The same day Zoe issued her article, to be exact
[9/18/14 12:43 AM] moot: They told me they are strong supporters of the Social Justice Movement, and are through sitting behind while the harassment goes on
[9/18/14 12:44 AM] moot: They said if I didn't stop Gamergate on 4chan, they would write an article that "exposes" 4chan for the "true cesspit" it is. They're also going to basically get feminists to hack in and take down my site.

This is amazing.

I also love how Gamergate gives their enemies names that sound like awesome '90s shows (Ultra Morphin' Social Justice Warriors, White Knight Attack Force Squad Team 2999) while saying stuff like "we will wrap the world in fire" "we will turn our enemies into smoldering piles of ashes" and "bow down before Doom, Fantastic Fools!"

So did the social justice arm solicit your cooperation individually or just tell Cracked, as a whole, to tow the line?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
the thing about Cracked threatening moot is that it comes off as moot just fabricating excuses to justify what he did to 4chan. The threats look silly and 4chan already has a reputation for being a cesspit. There was nothing to expose.

(also, Cracked is already full of articles that are negative towards 4chan.)

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
He's surrounded by Yes-men that already agree with everything he does. Why would he need to fabricate excuses?

Moot has always been able to skate on the excuse that his domain is a freespeech dispensary rather than a hate factory. The idea behind the threat seems to be that they were going to staple the less abstract image of "woman-haters" and "suicide-enablers" on the collective face of 4chan using a fairly trusted source (i.e. Disinformation). Cracked most certainly wouldn't have been the only website to tow the line in this instance.

It's one thing to fight the always unpopular Scientiologists, but it's quite another to deal with an ideologically-reinforced, intricately networked fraternity of hipster critics, activists, and journalists who run the gamut from Facebook all the way to SomethingAwful (with just about every gaming website and primary/ancillary social network in between).

At this point in his life, Moot is trying to be profitable. As it stands, 4chan has not been--or is simple incapable of being--profitable for him. He's used it to get his name out there. But if it ends up associating him with misogyny or whatever else that stands opposite to his girlfriend or Sarkeesian, then he can't hope to make money on the internet ever again.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
At this point in his life, Moot is trying to be profitable. As it stands, 4chan has not been--or is simple incapable of being--profitable for him. He's used it to get his name out there. But if it ends up associating him with misogyny or whatever else that stands opposite to his girlfriend or Sarkeesian, then he can't hope to make money on the internet ever again.

Yeah, because being a haven for pedophiles was a real money maker for him.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That chat is so stupidly fake, even Gamergaters called bullshit on it. I mean, that's an impressive amount of stupid.

So did the social justice arm solicit your cooperation individually or just tell Cracked, as a whole, to tow the line?

I missed the meeting where DARPA told us to do more warring about social justices, but then Marx himself called me on my vergatario (look it up) and demanded my cooperation.

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
That chat is so stupidly fake, even Gamergaters....

I just kinda stopped right there.

Challenging the veracity of one anecdote with another using a transitive "even" means an overdose of hyperbole.

All of the imgur footage on the issue technically qualifies as anecdote since it could all be edited, but no one's been stupid enough to make the claim that it's fake (yet).

But I suppose relying on internet ambiguity does make it easier to duck the issue.....

I missed the meeting where DARPA told us to do more warring about social justices, but then Marx himself called me on my vergatario (look it up) and demanded my cooperation.

Makes sense.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
All of the imgur footage on the issue technically qualifies as anecdote since it could all be edited, but no one's been stupid enough to make the claim that it's fake (yet).

I am! I'm stupid enough to say it's definitely fake. And Gamergate and 4chan members, too. Some choice quotes:

Quote:
That reads absolutely like it was made up by a particularly slow twelve year old.
I don't believe it for a second.

Quote:
The majority of us are calling fake. Too much shit about it doesn't add up.

Quote:
A lot of it is bullshit- to think that he would be nervous about CRACKED running a hit piece -kek

Quote:
That conversation looks pretty fake. Note the way everyone speaks and replies in “logical” order: in real chatroom-style stuff, answers are out of order and all over the place because everyone’s typing and replying at the same time. Even a two-person conversation doesn’t look that neat and tidy.

Quote:
People say these logs are fake and were made by SJW trolls to sow discord and confusion among redpilled posters

Quote:
The leaks also say that Cracked.com promised to run a smear article about him and about 4chan. And, although running smear campaigns has become nothing new to cracked in the past few years, smearing 4chan is like smearing shit on some more shit.
This is either a lie, proof the logs are fake, or proof that m00t is now actually making failed attempts to change his image.

That last one is Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Can you please say something clear like "I believe it's possible that Cracked blackmailed the creator of 4chan by threatening to hire feminist hackers to bring down the site in order to further the SJW agenda conspiracy"? Just to have something simple to quote once some 4channer comes forward and says "Oh yeah, I made up that chat, did someone fall for it?"

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

SJW = Social Justice Warrior?

Quote:

social justice warrior
- A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

#1:

A social justice warrior reads an essay about a form of internal misogyny where women and girls insult stereotypical feminine activities and characteristics in order to boost themselves over other women.

The SJW absorbs this and later complains in response to a Huffington Post article about a 10-year-old feminist's letter, because the 10-year-old called the color pink "prissy".

#2:
Commnter: "I don't like getting manicures. It's too prissy."

SJW: "Oh my god, how fucking dare you use that word, you disgusting sexist piece of shit!"

by poopem April 21, 2011

I get lost in all the acronyms, most of which are not in usage by more than 20 people worldwide anyway.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
It used to be a sarcastic term for people who pretended to care about social issues but were all talk (basically, all of Tumblr). Now it's used against anyone who even says anything about any social issue, ever, so it's pretty much lost meaning.

Pariah Offline OP
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I am! I'm stupid enough to say it's definitely fake. And Gamergate and 4chan members, too. Some choice quotes:

You think all the screen captures on imgur are fake?

Quote:
 Quote:
That reads absolutely like it was made up by a particularly slow twelve year old.
I don't believe it for a second.

Quote:
The majority of us are calling fake. Too much shit about it doesn't add up.

Quote:
A lot of it is bullshit- to think that he would be nervous about CRACKED running a hit piece -kek

Quote:
That conversation looks pretty fake. Note the way everyone speaks and replies in “logical” order: in real chatroom-style stuff, answers are out of order and all over the place because everyone’s typing and replying at the same time. Even a two-person conversation doesn’t look that neat and tidy.

Quote:
People say these logs are fake and were made by SJW trolls to sow discord and confusion among redpilled posters

Quote:
The leaks also say that Cracked.com promised to run a smear article about him and about 4chan. And, although running smear campaigns has become nothing new to cracked in the past few years, smearing 4chan is like smearing shit on some more shit.
This is either a lie, proof the logs are fake, or proof that m00t is now actually making failed attempts to change his image.

That last one is Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Can you please say something clear like "I believe it's possible that Cracked blackmailed the creator of 4chan by threatening to hire feminist hackers to bring down the site in order to further the SJW agenda conspiracy"? Just to have something simple to quote once some 4channer comes forward and says "Oh yeah, I made up that chat, did someone fall for it?"

Don't you think it's a tad lazy--and disingenuous--to use faceless IDs apart of an amorphous movement to insinuate the credibility of your position without coming to an absolute conclusion on it yourself? Supposing the chat was confirmed to have taken place, the pseudo-position you've taken remains convenient enough for you to say 'it made more sense to believe this anecdote from the horse's interwebz mouth over that anecdote from his interwebz asshole' without having to either indict or defend the SJW culture in the process--or Cracked in particular for that matter.

Consider ED for a moment: it doesn't actually take a position on whether or not the chat is fake. That block you quoted was a part of a larger article that speculates the chat's authenticity (while holding it against a larger preponderance of evidence that m00t is/was being pinched) without denying or confirming anything. So even though the authors that contribute to ED exhibit a more apparent dislike for the SJW crowd and all its cultural Marxist doings, it doesn't rely on passively supporting/attacking anyone--or, more specifically, "concerned trolling."

While I'm sure that skepticism is the safest, and most advantageous, position to take, it doesn't actually advance discussion on...anything. Its principal application is, more often than not, to stymie the discussion.

It used to be a sarcastic term for people who pretended to care about social issues but were all talk (basically, all of Tumblr). Now it's used against anyone who even says anything about any social issue, ever, so it's pretty much lost meaning.

More hyperbole? Whatever for?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You think all the screen captures on imgur are fake?

No, you're right, those couldn't possibly be faked.

http://imgur.com/KINBSes

Actually, I haven't seen screencaps of the Cracked chat, wasn't it dumped on pastebin as raw text?

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say with the rest of it, but if you mean that I'm trying to dodge the issue of cultural Marxism/the SJW world conspiracy by focusing on how stupidly ridiculous the fake chat is, I'm not. I can understand being concerned about something having a negative impact in your hobby or whatever. There's probably a valid discussion to be had there.

What I can't understand is anyone buying that fake as shit chat log, specifically, because it's just silly as hell. Try saying it out loud: Cracked tried to blackmail 4chan by threatening to hire feminist hackers to bring down the site and writing articles to expose it as bad, because no one knows it's bad. 4chan had a stellar reputation across the globe until a dick joke site wrote an article about it and moot completely lost his shit. Please say that out loud, or have one of those text to voice programs read it.

You said no one would be stupid enough to say the chat is fake: I clearly said "it's fake", and as a bonus provided quotes of Gamergate supporters and other 4chan-related types saying it's fake. I'm not proving the chat wrong as part of a culture war, I'm proving your specific post wrong because it's funny. Pretty simple. Don't try to read other arguments into that.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to believe that 4Chan are a bunch of twits and that the editorial staff of cracked.com are a bunch of weenie boys who are desperately trying to curry favor with girls who won't sleep with them?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: G-man
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to believe that 4Chan are a bunch of twits and that the editorial staff of cracked.com are a bunch of weenie boys who are desperately trying to curry favor with girls who won't sleep with them?

No, you have to pick one or the other. This is a culture war, dammit!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
It's true, though. Mxy is a weenie boy who is desperately trying to curry favor with men who won't sleep with him.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard