Print Thread
old one eye
2500+ posts
OP Offline
old one eye
2500+ posts

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/21/the-x-files-revival-closer-than-ever/

Quote:

The X-Files revival is inching ever so closer to an official green light from Fox, according to sources for TV Wise.

In January, Fox revealed that they have had conversations about bringing back The X-Files. Not much was known at that time, but Fox did say they were planning on bringing back creator Chris Carter and the show's stars David Duchovny and Gillain Anderson. Since then, Duchovny and Anderson have both expressed interest in reprising their roles as Agents Mulder and Scully.

TV Wise is reporting that Fox is planning to order a shortened season of The X-Files - less than 10 episodes. Which is similar to what the network did with Keifer Sutherland's 24, however, it had 12 episodes. The Daily Mail claims that it will be six episodes, but TV Wise says the number still hasn't be determined at this time.

TV Wise claims that the revival will clear up unresolved plot lines that the original series and the two films that followed never did. They add, Chris Carter will write the scripts and serve as the executive producer.

The reason for the short order? One of the main reasons is said to be scheduling.

The feeling was that it would be easier for the always in demand Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny to schedule a block of time to shoot the revival with a short order. The duo, who were always committed to doing more X-Files, have, sources say, agreed to reprise their roles. It is understood than an offer has also gone out to Mitch Pileggi. Other key cast members will also return.

I hope this is true. I want believe.

How you doin'?
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Anderson could pull it off. She's ageless.

Duchovny.....well, either way, I'd like to see it as long as Carter is doing the writing.

It's rather ironic though when you consider that Duchovny was trying to escape the show for four years. Now after close to fifteen years has passed, he wants the glory days back.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Anderson could pull it off. She's ageless.

Duchovny.....well, either way, I'd like to see it as long as Carter is doing the writing.

It's rather ironic though when you consider that Duchovny was trying to escape the show for four years. Now after close to fifteen years has passed, he wants the glory days back.

I'm reminded of an old Jay Leno joke: "David Caruso has announced he's quitting 'NYPD Blue' to make movies. His replacement is Jimmy Smits...you know, the guy who quite 'LA Law' to make movies."

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
About the only Duchovny movie I can remember is Evolution. It was an enjoyable movie.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't remember if this was before or after he did X-Files but that movie about the rapture he did was pretty good

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I bet if they knew they were going to make an attempt at a revival, they wouldn't have killed off the Lone Gunmen.

...... \:\(

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
After he left the show and X-Files entered its death knell stage in the ninth season, I became depressed and just kind of sought out other movies with him in it.

The only one that really made sense to me was Evolution. Probably because it involved aliens.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Well,they revealed the Lone Gunmen are alive and well in IDW's X-Files Season 10 comic if that helps.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
WHAT!?

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Yeah,it was one of those "faked death" things. The comic's a great read & really captures the feel of the early seasons of the show.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I just looked it up. Apparently, Carter helped make the whole thing. I really want to read it now.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Yep. It's good stuff. Issue #21 came out last week,so it's not too many issues you'd have to track down.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Booooooooooooooobs.
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Want to get behind this but also very out of nostalgia fucks at this point.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
I just looked it up. Apparently, Carter helped make the whole thing. I really want to read it now.

I'm twelve issues in, and I wanted to read the rest before watching the reboot, but I got impatient.

So.....Hmmmm....The Alex Jones analogue is, ostensibly, the bearer of truth and common sense. I'll agree with that about 70-75% of the time. I like InfoWars in general. That being said, I don't believe 911 was engineered by the government...Or in Lizard people...Or some other crazy shit.

Still, this feels like a bait and switch. The outspoken far-right obsessive provides instant revelations that aliens were, in fact, trying to help us over the past century--and the idea of some kind of cosmic civil war being fought above our heads was just a narrative cooked up by cloak-and-dagger shadow governments, thus rendering moot all of Mulder and Scully's efforts over the past two decades. His monologue towards the end just sounds too staged for Chris Carter to suggest it's genuine.

Supposing O'Malley (Alex Jones) is right though, and the series has no intention of turning him into a covert antagonist.....I dunno. It's a tough pill to swallow. I'm definitely on board with the idea of changing the emphasis from fantastical alien invaders to the very real tyrannical dregs of humanity here on the ground. While I love X-Files, I always felt guilty for getting lost in the idea that our destruction would come from alien colonists, and not from our own neighbors. It kind of lulled me into a false sense of security. But all of that being said, undoing a ten-year construction like X-Files and its extra terrestrial roots in a single hour is, frankly, impossible.

I will continue to watch and enjoy, but the story is on unsteady ground.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
I don't remember if this was before or after he did X-Files but that movie about the rapture he did was pretty good

That included Mimi Rogers.
Tom Cruise has excellent taste in ex-wives.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

For such a popular series in its first run, it disappeared remarkably fast after the series was cancelled, and was only very briefly in syndication.

Another one that suffered the same fate is Ally McBeal. Some others I'd like to see again are the above mentioned Lone Gunmen, The Rockford Files, Simon and Simon and Magnum P.I.
And the original Star Trek series. I recently picked up the complete original series on DVD (for $45.00, plus free shipping on ebay, the complete series DVD was just released in early November.) But it's sstill fun to catch them live on TV.

Originally Posted By: allan1
Yeah,it was one of those "faked death" things. The comic's a great read & really captures the feel of the early seasons of the show.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow. Anderson really went all out in this one.

I think the only way the writers could get away with a slutty Scully was with Cougar Gillian.

Even as a fantasy scene, it just wouldn't have made sense for her to do a scene like that in the original series.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
For such a popular series in its first run, it disappeared remarkably fast after the series was cancelled, and was only very briefly in syndication.

Very few hour long shows, other than the original "Trek," have done well in syndication since the 70s. In fact, at one point, the creator of "Ally McBeal" actually experimented with chopping up the series into half-hour episodes in order to make it more palatable for syndication sales.

Link Copied to Clipboard