Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

http://www.kptv.com/story/29596034/diner-owner-receives-backlash-for-yelling-at-screaming-child

Quote:

PORTLAND, ME (WMTV/CNN) - A social media firestorm erupted in Maine over the weekend and spread across the web.

Darla Neugebaur the outspoken owner and chief cook at Marcy’s Diner admitted she nearly flipped her lid after listening to a 2-year-old cry for 40 minutes.

"I turned around, slammed both hands on the counter and then pointed at the child and said - this has got to stop! Oh and then the mother screamed at me because I was yelling at her child. You know what lady, 'you should have taken the kid outside,'" Neugebauer said.

The parents were so upset they posted a complaint on the diner's Facebook page.

It read: "I had the worst experience at this establishment. The owner is an absolute lunatic and screamed in the face of my almost 2 year child because she was crying. Who in their right mind would behave like this unless you are deranged?"

Two and a half million people from as far away as England commenting and sharing the post - Neugebaur was not deterred.

"We all have our opinions. I think maybe mom and dad should have taken the kid out and nipped it right in the bud. I'm not a parent I don't know 100-percent. I know after 40 minutes of screaming, I had had enough," Neugebauer said.

As for all those negative comments from parents saying they will never eat at Marcy’s again.

"I'm sad about that because it's their loss," Neugebauer said. “It stopped her screaming and get them out and it made my other customers very happy and my staff very happy."

A family visiting from Colorado - both parents and restaurant owners - said they see both sides when it comes someone yelling at a child.

"Well that would feel very inappropriate. I would have preferred that she said to me can you take your child out of the restaurant. We don't go around yelling at other people's kids," said Jen Wolkon.

"You got to deal with the parent and talk to the parent sometime it's better in a small place to have them step outside for the conversation so you don't make a scene," said Josh Wolkon.

There have been rumors of possible protests outside the diner.

The owner responded by asking if demonstrators would prefer pancakes or muffins.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Should have smacked the kid in the head and farted in the mothers mouth

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
They're both at fault. If my kid is loud enough to inconvenience other people and she wouldn't calm down, I'd take her somewhere else or just go home.

On the other hand, if I was the manager, I would have talked to the parent and asked her to calm the kid down or take it somewhere else. You don't really shout at someone's kid if the parent is right there. You have a problem with the kid, you confront the parent (if they have a problem with people confronting them over their kid's temper tantrums, then that's on them - they either need to find ways to control the kid or deal with the consequences. If they can't do either, then they shouldn't be parents.)

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
This reminds me of a link a friend of mine sent me several weeks ago. A woman wrote an op-ed piece about the guy at a movie that said something about her two year-old kid being loud in a Disney movie. She went on about how her kid was fighting cancer and how his non-verbal noises were his coping mechanism and if the guy felt good now after telling a kid with cancer to be quiet. Then, most of the comments were about how she was the asshole for taking a two year-old to a movie and how that guy paid money for him and his family to enjoy the film with out interruptions from her kid. It almost felt good to be a part of the human race there for a moment.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."

Link Copied to Clipboard