15000+ posts
OP Offline
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39251592

Quote:

Gay marriage row prompts boycott in Australia

The video features a host and two MPs with opposing views on same-sex marriage
Australia's largest independent beer company has found itself at the centre of a boycott over a video discussing same-sex marriage.

Several Australian bars have dumped Coopers Brewery after it was featured by religious group the Bible Society.

The video shows two MPs debating their opposing views on same-sex marriage - which is not legal in Australia - as they clutch Coopers beers.

It has led to claims Coopers is against marriage equality, a claim it denies.

The backlash has gathered pace in recent days and, by Tuesday, a string of drinking spots in favour of same-sex marriage had boycotted the brand.

How did the backlash begin?
The Bible Society posted the "Keeping It Light" video on Thursday. It features conservative MPs Tim Wilson (for same-sex marriage) and Andrew Hastie (against) debating the issue in what they call a "civil and respectful way".

Coopers has since claimed it "did not give permission" to be included in the video. However, the brand recently celebrated the Bible Society's 200-year anniversary with a

Coopers has released beer products featuring verses from the Bible

In the video, Mr Wilson argues: "I believe that it would be sensible to change the act that deals with issues around civil marriage to include two people regardless of their gender."

Mr Hastie counters: "I'm for retaining the current definition of marriage, which is between a man and a woman."

Despite Mr Wilson's inclusion, critics interpreted the video as one-sided. One commentator said Coopers risked sponsoring a "political act by a religious organisation", while another said "homophobia lite is still homophobia".

"I have respected Coopers all my life, and it was crushing to realise that as a queer person, they don't respect me," wrote Chloe Sargeant for the Special Broadcasting Service.

Opposition to the video has picked up steam since the weekend. By Tuesday, at least eight drinking spots in Sydney and Melbourne had publicly declared they would not stock Coopers. One widely shared video showed two people throwing full bottles in the bin.

Luke Hiscox, from Sydney's Union Hotel, which plans to take Coopers off tap, said people were upset by the phrase "keeping it light".

"That irks people because for them it's not in the slightest a light topic," he told the BBC.

I though it was only in America where groups will get all butthurt if someone doesn't like them.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Apparently political correctness is a one-way street that only liberals intolerantly ride on.

All over the world.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
reread the thread about straight people being forced to sell baked goods to gay people. You guys are no better in the butt hurt department.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It only seems that way to you, MEM, because your butt has been so desensitized over the years. ;\)

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
It is not my intention to single out gays with this thread. The story made me think of how so many groups act all butthurt because someone doesn't like how they live. I think it's a good thing if people protest or boycot,but any other action is going too far.

The gay cake thing got to be such a big deal because some asshole politician wanted to make a name for himself. Even the lesbos said this was a bigger deal than what they wanted it to be.

MEM,pay no attention to G-Man as he obviously hates gays,Jehovah’s Witnesses and puppies.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not true. I love puppies. Except for gay Jehovah witness puppies.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
It is not my intention to single out gays with this thread. The story made me think of how so many groups act all butthurt because someone doesn't like how they live. I think it's a good thing if people protest or boycot,but any other action is going too far.

The gay cake thing got to be such a big deal because some asshole politician wanted to make a name for himself. Even the lesbos said this was a bigger deal than what they wanted it to be.

MEM,pay no attention to G-Man as he obviously hates gays,Jehovah’s Witnesses and puppies.

Wasn't thinking of you with my post and agree about people taking things to far.

Fair play!

Link Copied to Clipboard