Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1225108 - Thu Feb 15 2018 10:30 AM Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL
Wonder Boy
Offline brutally Kamphausened

Loc: A glorious bold new America
Random absurdity strikes again, and this time it's very local to where I live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_High_School_shooting

This is about 6 or 7 miles from where I live. My former girlfriend's condo was about 3 miles east of the high shool this occurred at.

Hours and hours of national and local broadcast coverage, and they still barely have any details of what actually occurred.

I watched Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL), and Rep Peter Deutch (D-FL), my two local elected leaders for my district.
Gee, what a shock, these liberal Democrats again called for gun control. The Fox News anchor pointed out that 10 years of ban on automatic weapons made no difference in gun deaths, and Sen. Nelson hummed and hawed "Umm, uhh, I'm not familiar with those statistics..." Regardless, he looked like an idiot, pushing his talking points, with no idea what the true facts are.

Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) spoke to the media yesterday when I was viewing. And while not calling for anything agenda-pushing, just expressed his sympathy for those attacked, and like the others, including reporters for the most part, offered no information beyond sympathy. I guess that's all most people expect, obligatory sympathy and an obligatory public appearance. Coverage on these kind of events just drag on hour after hour, and really provide no information or meaningful dialogue.

I often call these shootings, regardless of where they occur, as random absurdity, because they are not like an Al Qaida attack or other political/activist violence that are part of a larger campaign of intimidation.

But these shootings do seem to occur with increasing frequency, whether or not they actually occur more frequently. If the same kid bashed 30 people's heads in with a lead pipe, it likely would not get the same coverage as a guy with an AK-47.

#1225110 - Thu Feb 15 2018 10:55 AM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/15/nik...-17-people.html

#1225117 - Thu Feb 15 2018 11:37 PM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Wonder Boy]
Matter-eater Man
Offline Fair Play!

So you mention one stat but also notice this seems to be happening more often. Does that make sense? We as a country now excel in letting our kids get shot.

Fair play!

#1225118 - Fri Feb 16 2018 02:10 PM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Matter-eater Man]
Wonder Boy

Uh... more often than not, it's kids shooting other kids.

I haven't seen one of these incidents where any leftist call for gun control would have resulted in a different outcome. In the Sandy Hook, CT school incident, for example, the mother owned all the guns, and the shooter kid was fully trained in responsible use of them.

In the current high school incident here, the 19 year old kid purchased the gun he used over a year ago and passed, incredibly, a thorough background check.

A former assistant FBI director said this morning of all the missed opportunities and reported incidents with this kid, "he didn't just fall through the cracks, he fell through a canyon."

I don't see that gun control is the answer (and it's ironic that I'm a big 2nd amendment advocate, even though up to this point I haven't ever felt the need to own a gun). People have had guns in their homes for over 200 years. And yet something in the culture, not the guns themselves, are causing more such incidents.

Another statistic I saw is that 35% less homes have guns in them than in previous decades. It's not availability of guns that is the problem.

#1225131 - Mon Feb 19 2018 06:19 PM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

GUN STORE THAT SOLD THE AR-15 USED TO KILL 17 in PARKLAND HAS CLOSED

Quote:
The Florida gun shop that sold the AR-15 assault weapon used to kill 17 people in a Parkland high school last week has shut its doors.

The owners of Sunrise Tactical Supply, the Coral Springs shop that authorities said in November sold suspected shooter Nikolas Cruz the AR-15, has been ‘‘closed indefinitely,’’ according to the Miami Herald. Cruz was arrested after the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which also left 14 people wounded.

The owners of the small business, located in a strip mall near the school, said they ensured that Cruz had filled out all of the required paperwork which included his driver’s license and assurances that he did not suffer from mental illness. The store owners said, through their attorney, that Cruz only purchased the semi-automatic rifle off the shelf and did not purchase any accessories, modifications, or ammunition so as not to raise eyebrows.

Both owners are, according to their attorney, distraught.

‘‘The tremendous sense of responsibility in this situation and just horribleness that they feel that one of their weapons fell into the hands of this maniac,’’ the attorney said in the Miami Herald report. ‘‘They are scared — not just for their safety — but more importantly about how the reaction is going to be for the rest of the community as they try to reenter it.’’

The Daily Mail also reported that Cruz apparently purchased other assault weapons from another local gun store — Gun World of South Florida — since 2016, but not the one used in the killing spree.

‘‘He was not a regular customer of ours,’’ Kim Waltuch the owner of Gun World told the Daily Mail. ‘‘We went through the process of the background checks which is the only way we release a firearm. He was immediately approved.’’ Waltuch said the store has been raising money for victims of the shooting.

#1225136 - Tue Feb 20 2018 10:11 PM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Wonder Boy]
Matter-eater Man
Offline Fair Play!

I wonder if this was the one that might actually get people to want change in the gun control debate?

Fair play!

#1225137 - Tue Feb 20 2018 11:32 PM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Matter-eater Man]
Captain Sammitch
Offline terrible podcaster

Loc: painesville, oh
I think there's room to meet in the middle, but everyone's too entrenched to budge - and not even entrenched because of their attachment to a particular perspective on gun violence, entrenched simply because they don't dare move any closer to "the other side". One side's being manipulated by an organization which decades ago was all about reasonable legislation to reduce gun violence but is now only really concerned with padding manufacturers' profit margins. The other side is so swept up in old-media scaremongering over Scary Black Guns™ that they're willing to set dangerous precedents in the limitation of civil liberties for the sake of what barely even amounts to a Band-Aid of a solution. This isn't impossible to fix, it's just extremely complex and is a matter of "both-and" solutions, not "either-or". Lots of people will have to come at this from lots of angles to sensibly balance public safety against personal freedom.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ

#1225138 - Wed Feb 21 2018 07:29 AM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Captain Sammitch]
Matter-eater Man
Offline Fair Play!

We've had reasonable gun control laws before. What would fall into an unreasonable precedent?

Fair play!

#1225139 - Wed Feb 21 2018 09:21 AM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Matter-eater Man]
Wonder Boy

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
We've had reasonable gun control laws before. What would fall into an unreasonable precedent?

What the Democrat leadership wants. Which, if they were honest, is a ban on ALL guns. Except, of course, the ones that belong to them (Senator Diane Feinstein for example) and to the men who guard them.

Some animals are more equal than others.

#1225140 - Wed Feb 21 2018 09:25 AM Re: Close to home for me: the Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, FL [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

And by the way, the expired 10-year ban on automatic weapons had absolutely no effect on gun crime. According to the DOJ's own exhaustive study, much as they would have liked the study to affirm the effectiveness of the ban.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
3019 Members
14 Forums
65729 Topics
1191310 Posts

Max Online: 3134 @ Thu Jan 23 2020 07:06 AM
New Topics
WWE WrestleMania 36 Results: 4-4-20
by PixieP
URG vs the gubment.
by URG
Corona virus makes your dick fly off!
by Joey From Friends
Coronavirus: Zoom is in everyone's living room - how safe is it?
by the G-man
???????????
by klmnop123171
???????????????????
by klmnop123171
????????????????
by klmnop123171
??????????????
by klmnop123171
?????????????
by klmnop123171
??????????????????