Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1227645 - Fri Nov 09 2018 09:22 AM Savage reviews
Wonder Boy
Online   content brutally Kamphausened

Loc: A glorious bold new America

Some of the funniest stuff I've read have been reviews of movies and series that the critics didn't like. Even at their most hyperbolic, they at least give you some idea what the show is about, and even if you like the show, you can enjoy the passion with which the critic you're reading does not.

For openers, I watched an episode of Z Nation, and coming in completely new to the series, looked it up to get a feel for what the general thrust of the story is.

This part was funny:

Quote:
RECEPTION

The first season of Z Nation received mixed reviews from professional television critics. Its aggregate score on Metacritic is 48/100 based on reviews from 11 critics.[13][14] Rotten Tomatoes gave the show a rating of 53%, based on reviews from 17 critics, with the site's consensus stating "although it's hampered by an overcrowded narrative, Z Nation manages to muster up some fun scares without taking itself too seriously."[15]

Chris Carabott of IGN noted that the show "continues to set itself apart in campy and inventive ways."[16] Brian Moylan of The Guardian called Z Nation scary "in the same vague way as that talking green blob is in the Mucinex commercials" and concluded that viewers would hate all the characters, but that "Citizen Z (DJ Qualls) is especially horrible."[17] Merrill Barr of Forbes magazine said the show had a high entertainment value.[18]

In its first season, Z Nation averaged 1.42 million viewers per episode, including a .48 rating in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic.[19]

#1227646 - Fri Nov 09 2018 09:48 AM Re: Savage reviews [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

About the film 300:

Quote:

Since its world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival on February 14, 2007, in front of 1,700 audience members, 300 has received generally mixed reviews. While it received a standing ovation at the public premiere,[65] it was panned at a press screening hours earlier, where many attendees left during the showing and those who remained booed at the end.[66] Critics are divided on the film.[67] On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 60% based 228 reviews, with an average rating of 6.1/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "A simple-minded but visually exciting experience, full of blood, violence, and ready-made movie quotes."[68] On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has an average score of 52 out of 100, based on 42 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".[67] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale.[69]

Some of the most unfavorable reviews came from major American newspapers. A.O. Scott of The New York Times describes 300 as "about as violent as Apocalypto and twice as stupid," while criticizing its color scheme and suggesting that its plot includes racist undertones; Scott also poked fun at the buffed bodies of the actors portraying the Spartans, declaring that the Persian characters are "pioneers in the art of face-piercing", but that the Spartans had access to "superior health clubs and electrolysis facilities".[70] Kenneth Turan writes in the Los Angeles Times that "unless you love violence as much as a Spartan, Quentin Tarantino or a video-game-playing teenage boy, you will not be endlessly fascinated."[71] Roger Ebert, in his review, gave the film a two-star rating, writing, "300 has one-dimensional caricatures who talk like professional wrestlers plugging their next feud."[72] Some critics employed at Greek newspapers have been particularly critical, such as film critic Robby Eksiel, who said that moviegoers would be dazzled by the "digital action" but irritated by the "pompous interpretations and one-dimensional characters."[62][73]

Variety's Todd McCarthy describes the film as "visually arresting" although "bombastic"[74] while Kirk Honeycutt, writing in The Hollywood Reporter, praises the "beauty of its topography, colors and forms."[75] Writing in the Chicago Sun Times, Richard Roeper acclaims 300 as "the Citizen Kane of cinematic graphic novels."[76] Empire gave the film 3 out of 5 having a verdict of "Visually stunning, thoroughly belligerent and as shallow as a pygmy's paddling pool, this is a whole heap of style tinged with just a smidgen of substance." 300 was also warmly received by websites focusing on comics and video games. Comic Book Resources' Mark Cronan found the film compelling, leaving him "with a feeling of power, from having been witness to something grand."[77] IGN's Todd Gilchrist acclaimed Zack Snyder as a cinematic visionary and "a possible redeemer of modern moviemaking."[78]

#1227787 - Sat Nov 24 2018 07:42 AM Re: Savage reviews [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

They're having a marathon of the first 6 Star Trek movies today on Starz Encore (Direct TV, channels 535 and 536).

Commentary about the first, Star Trek: The Motion Picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture

Quote:
James Berardinelli, reviewing the film in 1996, felt that the pace dragged and the plot bore too close a resemblance to the original series episode "The Changeling", but considered the start and end of the film to be strong.[179] Terry Lee Rioux, Kelley's biographer, noted that the film proved "that it was the character-driven play that made all the difference in Star Trek".[180] The slow pacing, extended reaction shots, and lack of action scenes led fans and critics to give the film a variety of nicknames, including The Motionless Picture,[181] The Slow Motion Picture,[7] The Motion Sickness,[182] and Where Nomad [the probe in "The Changeling"] Has Gone Before.[179]

#1227957 - Thu Dec 20 2018 11:14 AM Re: Savage reviews [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing

While I like the movie, there are some groanworthy lines, but Jennifer Grey is adorable in the lead role, and Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey have dynamite chemistry onscreen that compensates for a lot of the trite and lowbrow dialogue.

Quote:
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 70% based on reviews from 61 critics and a rating average of 6/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Like its winsome characters, Dirty Dancing uses impressive choreography and the power of song to surmount a series of formidable obstacles."[15] Metacritic, another review aggregator, assigned the film a weighted average score of 65 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[16] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale.[17]

For the film's opening, The New York Times published a review titled "Dirty Dancing Rocks to an Innocent Beat". The Times reviewer called the film "a metaphor for America in the summer of 1963 – orderly, prosperous, bursting with good intentions, a sort of Yiddish-inflected Camelot."[18] Other reviews were more mixed: Gene Siskel gave the film a "marginal Thumbs Up" as he liked Jennifer Grey's acting and development of her character, while Roger Ebert gave it "Thumbs Down" due to its "idiot plot",[19] calling it a "tired and relentlessly predictable story of love between kids from different backgrounds."[20] TIME magazine was lukewarm, saying, "If the ending of Eleanor Bergstein's script is too neat and inspirational, the rough energy of the film's song and dance does carry one along, past the whispered doubts of better judgment."[21] In a retrospective review, Jezebel's Irin Carmon called the film "the greatest movie of all time" as "a great, brave movie for women" with "some subtle, retrospectively sharp-eyed critiques of class and gender."[22]

Abortion rights advocates have called the film the "gold standard" for cinematic portrayals of abortion,[23] which author Yannis Tzioumakis described as offering a "compassionate depiction of abortion in which the woman seeking an abortion was not demonized with the primary concerns being her health and preserving her capacity to bear children at a future time rather than the ethical dilemma that might or might not inform her decision, a portrayal that is not necessarily available in current films."[24]

The film drew adult audiences instead of the expected teens, with viewers rating the film highly.[13] Many filmgoers, after seeing the film once, went right back into the theater to watch it a second time.[13] Word-of-mouth promotion took the film to the number one position in the United States, and in 10 days it had broken the $10 million mark. By November, it was also achieving international fame. Within seven months of release, it had brought in $63 million in the US and boosted attendance in dance classes across America.[11] It was one of the highest-grossing films of 1987, earning $170 million worldwide.[25][26]

The film's popularity continued to grow after its initial release. It was the number one video rental of 1988[27] and became the first film to sell a million copies on video. When the film was re-released in 1997, ten years after its original release, Swayze received his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame,[28] and videos were still selling at the rate of over 40,000 per month.[28] As of 2005, it was selling a million DVDs per year,[29] with over ten million copies sold as of 2007.[30]

A May 2007 survey by Britain's Sky Movies listed Dirty Dancing as number one on "Women's most-watched films", above the Star Wars trilogy, Grease, The Sound of Music, and Pretty Woman.[31] The film's popularity has also caused it to be called "the Star Wars for girls."[6][32][33] An April 2008 article in Britain's Daily Mail listed Dirty Dancing as number one on a list of "most romantic movie quotes ever", for Baby's line: "I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you."[34]

The film's music has also had considerable impact. The closing song, "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", has been listed as the "third most popular song played at funerals" in the UK.

The "Star Wars for girls" assessment made me laugh.

I pretty much agree with all the things said about the movie, good and bad. But for whatever flaws, it was a very enjoyable movie.
It was a bit of a surprise to me that it was met with equal enthusiasm in the U.K.

#1227958 - Thu Dec 20 2018 11:35 AM Re: Savage reviews [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

The truly savage reviews were for its sequel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing:_Havana_Nights

Quote:
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 23% rating based on 108 reviews from critics, with an average rating of 4.2/10. The website provides a brief critical consensus: "Cheesy, unnecessary remake."[5] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 32 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[6]

Robert Denerstein of the Denver Rocky Mountain News gave it a D+, saying: "Tries to add Cuban flavor to a familiar plot but comes up with nothing more than a bubbling stew of cliches." Peter Howell of the Toronto Star thought it to be "Charmless, clumsy and culturally offensive all at the same time" and merited it 1 out of 5 stars. Wesley Morris of the Boston Globe awarded it 2 out of 4 stars, saying: "As you might expect, the movie is as square as a sock hop." A more favorable review came from Philip Martin of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, who rated it B-, because "aside from the triteness of the dialogue, the mathematical predictability of the script and the muddling of numbskulled politics, DD: HN is a fairly enjoyable experience." According to Louis Hobson of Jam! Magazine, who thought the movie was worth 3.5 out of 5 stars, the main redeeming factor was the choreography: "You may have problems with the obvious, cliched story, but the dancing is incredible." That didn't convince everyone; Philip Wuntch of the Dallas Morning News thought the movie was worth no more than a C, stating that "both the dance numbers and the personal drama are largely listless." [7]

But despite not having the emotional highs of its predecessor, I think this sequel got a bad rap. Some movies or actors it's just fashionable to trash. I thought the movie's couple had good onscreen energy, the sequel has nicer cinematography and location scenery, more palatable dialogue, and overall a better looking and likeable cast. I thought the dialogue was more sharp and clever, particularly regarding the barely restrained tension between Cubans and Americans on the cusp of the 1959 revolution, and the music and dancing a well-played undercurrent of the political tension in the film.

There's a number of movies that use music and dancing as symbolic of expression for reppressed ambitions, speech and freedom, including Flashdance, Footloose, Dirty Dancing and Swing Kids. Swing dancing was pretty big in the early/mid 1990's, I think the latter movie is what sparked its popularity. One night club I went to at the time had a weekly "swing night" where that was the only music they played.

I realized about 2 months ago that the songs in Flashdance and Dirty Dancing are ones I still hear pretty much every day on the radio while driving, over 30 years after their initial release. That's some remarkably enduring popularity.

#1228679 - Sun Apr 21 2019 11:02 PM Re: Savage reviews [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(1961_film)#Reception

Quote:
At the time of its release, the film received negative reviews from major publications such as Time magazine[5] and New York Times' Bosley Crowther. The latter felt that the movie had "the nature of an illustrated lecture" and was a "peculiarly impersonal film that constructs a great deal of random action around Jesus and does very little to construct a living personality for Him."[6]

However, its reputation has since improved, with such critics as Leonard Maltin giving the film three-and-a-half stars out of four. Musicians such as Grammy Award-winning Art Greenhaw have cited the movie as being an influence in their work and even their favorite film of all time.[7] The film holds a "fresh" 86% on Rotten Tomatoes.[8]

King of Kings is also memorable for the music score by composer Miklós Rózsa, which was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.

and especially:

Quote:
Most films at the time, except for the 1935 French film Golgotha, did not show Jesus' face, preferring to do shots of his hands (as in Ben-Hur) or over-the-shoulder views. King of Kings was the first large-budget, major-studio sound film in English to actually show Christ's face. Jeffrey Hunter's youthful, matinee idol appearance (although he was 33 when cast) caused some to nickname the film "I Was a Teenage Jesus",[10] a parodic reference to the 1957 horror film I Was a Teenage Werewolf.

The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
2005: AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores – Nominated[11]
2006: AFI's 100 Years...100 Cheers – Nominated[12]

I think of Jeffrey Hunter as the messiah of two religions, Christianity, and Star Trek. Star Trek having a cult status that almost qualifies as a religion. It was only by rejecting the offer to do a second Star Trek pilot episode that the leading role went to William Shatner.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
3019 Members
14 Forums