15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

The top 10 listed:

10. Bill Finger (by Bob Kane)
9. Alan Brennert (for creating Barbara Keane Gordon character, but deprived of royalties.)
8. Marv Wolfman (no royalties for Blade the Vampire Slayer, from his TOMB OF DRACULA run)
7. Bill Mantlo (now disabled, royalties would pay his medical bills)
6. Joe Simon (over CAPTAIN AMERICA and other Timely/Marvel work)
5. Steve Gerber (HOWARD THE DUCK)
4. Gary Friedrich (GHOST RIDER)
3. Alan Moore
2. Siegel and Shuster (SUPERMAN, like I need to even say it)
1. Jack Kirby (again, no further explanation needed)

I thought this was a well-produced video with a good amount of information that I didn't know before.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

At 8:55 in the video, Shuster and Siegel are shown in front of a pencil drawing of Superman. The art is by Neal Adams, and was part of a 1975-1976 ad that ran in newspapers, showing Superman carrying Shuster and Siegel, one on each arm, with the caption "Can Superman save his creators?"
It was a promotion done by Adams to bring attention to the very bad treatment of Shuster and Siegel by DC, during the same time DC/Warner were producing the first Superman movie. The bad publicity resulted in Shuster and Siegel each getting a very modest $35,000 annual pension, on the strict condition that they do absolutely no media interviews from that point forward.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

The top 10 listed:

10. Bill Finger (by Bob Kane)

1. Jack Kirby (again, no furthe explanation needed)

I thought this was a well-produced video with a good amount of information that I didn't know before.

Finger should be Number 1. I don't see how that should even be open to debate. He created pretty much everything about Batman other than the name and died penniless because of Kane's machinations.

Kirby? As I've said before, fuck him. Shouldn't even be on the list. He was an experienced creator who knew what he was doing but preferred to "work for hire" as a freelancer for most of his career.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Well, Kirby worked for Timely/Marvel up till 1942, when he and Joe Simon were fired because they were secretly working for DC at the same time. Another version (in the above video) is that Marvel fired Simon & Kirby to get out of paying them huge monthly royalties for CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS, that was selling over a million issues per month.

At DC from 1942-1946, Simon & Kirby did Newsboy Legion, Boy Commandos, Sandman, and Manhunter. I'm not exactly sure of the reason they left, but right after leaving Simon & Kirby co-created Hillman comics, created the first romance comic that was highly successful, as well as horror comics like BLACK MAGIC, and crime comics like JUSTICE TRAPS THE GUILTY.

When Hillman folded around the time the comics code began, Kirby mostly worked after for DC, until his clash with Jack Schiff over the "Skymasters" newspaper comic strip, circa 1958, where Kirby apparently shorted editor/business-negotiator Schiff in a collaborative "Skymasters" comic strip venture (a court ruled damages in Schiff's favor), and Kirby either didn't want to work for DC after that or was blacklisted. The very day Jack Schiff retired from DC in 1970, Kirby contacted Carmine infantino and worked out a contract to leave Marvel for DC.

In between 1955-1962, Kirby struggled and did brief jobs for Gilberton (Classics Illustrated), Harvey and other publishers, but without DC or another decent-paying publisher, Kirby apparently went crawling back to Marvel at a time they were on the verge of going out of business (late 1958), and resurrected Marvel into an incredible giant in the field.

As we discussed previously both Alan Moore (still living) and Jack Kirby (his estate) are each worth about $10 million, so it's difficult to feel too sorry for either of these guys. Could they have been given a fairer deal with a larger slice of the pie? Sure, absolutely. But 10 million a piece is no small sum.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

https://www.cbr.com/most-epic-comic-book-creator-feuds/

Some crossover with those creators listed in my opening post.

Some that I think should have been included in the feud list:

Gary Groth vs. Harlan Ellison.

Chris Claremont vs John Byrne

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Another in the "most screwed" category not listed is Wallace Wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Wood

A prolific and huge contributor to the success of E.C. and MAD, with major accomplishments at Marvel and DC as well on some of the best known characters. But alone, going broke, and going blind, he ended up committing suicide.

Link Copied to Clipboard