Next Thread
Print Thread
#1230171 2019-11-06 9:26 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The first issue is out. It's a good read all the way through with nice artwork. Although it is more like DCeased than Marvel Zombies in that it is just a lot of violence and no one is eating anyone. Maybe they have some way to tie it to MZ so it makes sense.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
The first issue is out. It's a good read all the way through with nice artwork. Although it is more like DCeased than Marvel Zombies in that it is just a lot of violence and no one is eating anyone. Maybe they have some way to tie it to MZ so it makes sense.

I'm kind of getting sick of DC and Marvel turning their entire lines into horror comics (elseworld and otherwise): Batman Who Laughs, DCeased, Maximum Carnage, Marvel Zombies, etc.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Is that really different from the trends of comics in decades past, such as the trend of Marvel and DC to work monsters into a vast slice of their titles in the early 1970's? (The 1970's, including the monster titles, is actually my favorite period.)

Or the Image-style of storytelling that dominated virtually every title in the early/mid 1990's.

I'm not a huge fan of the zombies, but I certainly prefer it to the Image trend of the 1990's.
The other trend that annoyed me most was all the pretentious "emo" shit that dominated in the 1990's, particularly at Vertigo.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I guess I’m old-school. I remember when superhero comics were supposed to inspire. Now it’s doom and deconstruction and even shambling rot. Probably because there are no young fans aspiring to something better and only old fans peering into the abyss.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
I guess I’m old-school. I remember when superhero comics were supposed to inspire. Now it’s doom and deconstruction and even shambling rot. Probably because there are no young fans aspiring to something better and only old fans peering into the abyss.

Man, you sound like... well... me!

Comics plunged into darkness in the late 1980's, and with very few exceptions like Giffen/DeMatteis JLI/JLE, they've been there ever since. I look at so many titles from the 50's/60's/70's/80's era and sadly think this stuff could never get published now, except as they are, collected reprint volumes for guys like us who grew up on them.

I can't even remember the last time I bought new comics, they're so alien to me. It's literally been about 5 or 6 years. When I do buy them, I always feel like they cost too much, and were a vast disappointment for what I paid.

So I mostly buy back issues. I thumb through the new books at my local shop, but I've wised up and stopped buying new material, other than Masterworks and other collections. Most recently, the Marvel Masterworks KILLRAVEN hardcover, and the Kirby NEW GODS, MISTER MIRACLE and JIMMY OLSEN trades. The OLSEN one came out in April.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People

I've heard nothing but good things about this, which surprised me since i would assume something so gimmicky was going to be complete shit. On Reddit someone posted a page depicting when Superman is infected. He uses superspeed, talking and acting extremely fast before the infection sets in, to say goodbye to his son. I've got to say, it was really moving.

There is a wonderful cover of the Red Hood on a recent issue which some real effort has gone into.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The trade is already out for DCeased. Maybe Santa will give you a bring you a copy. That'll give you something to read in court.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

Link Copied to Clipboard