Print Thread
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
GOP Rep Peter King: Mitch McConnell is Senate’s Marie Antoinette

Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell drew scathing criticism from a Republican lawmaker Wednesday for saying he would prefer to see states file for bankruptcy than receive additional federal funds as they struggle to cover the costs of combatting the coronavirus outbreak.

Republican Rep. Peter King of New York blasted McConnell's for his comment in a tweet Wednesday night. He equated the senator from Kentucky's statement to the last queen of France's infamous (and apocryphal) "let them eat cake" response to the plight of starving peasants.

"McConnell's dismissive remark that States devastated by Coronavirus should go bankrupt rather than get the federal assistance they need and deserve is shameful and indefensible," King said. "To say that it is 'free money' to provide funds for cops, firefighters and healthcare workers makes McConnell the Marie Antoinette of the Senate."

Quote:
Originally Posted By: M E M
And when republicans are comparing McConnell to Marie Antoinette it’s pretty out of touch that this is all partisan dem spin.

The self-promoting former Republican representative from Michigan, who was a Republican and is now an "independent", who in truth caucuses with the Democrats. You're such a fucking liar, M E M. That's so clearly a lying narrative.

WB I was speaking of Rep King.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2020-04-27 11:13 PM.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
From the top linked USA Today article:
 Quote:
King was not the only politician to put McConnell's statement in historical terms.

"That is one of the saddest, really dumb comments of all time," Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo told public radio station WAMC.

"Let's have all the states declare bankruptcy. That's the way to bring the national economy back," Cuomo said sarcastically. "When are they going to stop with the partisanship? Not even on life and death? I mean, it's so ridiculous."

Cuomo also addressed McConnell's suggestion Thursday during his daily coronavirus news briefing. He said, if it was a question of "fairness, New York State puts much more into the federal pot than it takes out."

"At the end of the year, we put into that federal pot $116 billion more than we take out. His state, the state of Kentucky, takes out $148 billion more than they put in," Cuomo said. "Senator McConnell, who's getting bailed out here? It's your state that is living on the money that we generate. Your state is getting bailed out. Not my state."

Cuomo does a good job cutting to the heart of the matter.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Peter King announced a few months ago he will not run for re-election and this is his last term. He must be aware that his comment mirrors what has been said about Nancy Pelosi being Marie Antoinette, and Rep. King had to be mirroring that comparison, for whatever reason. I see some ulterior motive. In an overwhelmingly Democrat region of the country, it could have been said to vie for a position after his term ends, and gain the good graces of the Democrat establishment there.

Regardless, the comparison was made first of Nancy Pelosi being an out of touch elitist described as Marie Antoinette, that the attacks on McConnell deliberately echo. And try to re-write the narrative to eclipse and drown out the attacks on Pelosi.

At least this article acknowledges that:

House Republican [Rep. Peter King] Dubs Sen. Mitch McConnell 'The Marie Antoinnette of the Senate'

Quote:
The controversy over McConnell's comments touched on tensions surrounding the way wealthier Americans live while many struggle to stay financially afloat during the coronavirus pandemic.

Pelosi herself recently faced comparisons to the former French Queen Marie Antoinette.

A Trump campaign ad juxtaposed Pelosi showing her freezer full of ice cream with news that Americans were waiting for "hours" at food banks. It also highlighted how Democrats rejected a coronavirus relief package.

At one point, a man says "right now, it's survival mode." In the following clip, Pelosi says: "I don't know what I would have done if ice cream were not invented." It ends with a spoof quote, playing off one frequently attributed to Antoinette. "Let them eat ice cream," the quote reads, before citing "Nancy Antoinette."

"Let Them Eat Ice Cream!" -Nancy Antoinette

The new narrative attacking McConnell with identical terms is intended to dilute a powerful ad that is hurting Pelosi. And for reasons unknown, Rep. King is playing along with that diversionary narrative.

The comment in the article that both McConnell and Pelosi belong to an exclusive club of Washington elites is perhaps the fairest and most non-partisan thing that can be said.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah the GOP did try to compare Pelosi to Antoinette but it’s purely a partisan affair. It’s not the first time a politician has been compared to Antoinette by another political party either. On the other hand McConnell has gotten hit with the comparison from within his own party. And given that his state actually takes federal money while NY pays in the comparison actually is fair. NY is devastated by the pandemic and McConnell is trying to say the state doesn’t need aid because of that? Time to take McConnell’s cake away from him I think. Imagine the next time your state is hit with a hurricane and Pelosi told you that your state was poorly run and should just declare bankruptcy. I don’t think Pelosi would do that no matter the state. McConnell has made it clear though that he will for blue states.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #1231774 2020-04-28 4:38 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Yeah the GOP did try to compare Pelosi to Antoinette but it’s purely a partisan affair. It’s not the first time a politician has been compared to Antoinette by another political party either. On the other hand McConnell has gotten hit with the comparison from within his own party. And given that his state actually takes federal money while NY pays in the comparison actually is fair. NY is devastated by the pandemic and McConnell is trying to say the state doesn’t need aid because of that? Time to take McConnell’s cake away from him I think. Imagine the next time your state is hit with a hurricane and Pelosi told you that your state was poorly run and should just declare bankruptcy. I don’t think Pelosi would do that no matter the state. McConnell has made it clear though that he will for blue states.

Gee, I'm shocked that you see it that way.

Pelosi stepped right into that, the GOP ad pretty much wrote itself.

Pelosi's days are numbered. As radical, partisan and insane as she iss, it's still not enough for the new Bolshevik wing of the Demcorat party.

You keep trying to misrepresent the issue regarding McConnell, I've already explained that the Democrat states have debt that far precedes the pandemic crisis by many years. And Democrats want to sweep the books clean under the cover of the current crisis, with federal funds. I don't see that there's nearly as clear a case for McConnell's insensitivity as Pelosi's. A deal was all but bipartisanly struck for loans to small businesses, then she comes in and wrecks it, and over 22 million people who can't even buy food are jerked around for another 3 weeks. The James Clyburn quote I linked above. And Pelosi extorting spending for sanctuary cities, green new deal, illegal immigrants, and NPR and PBS, that have noting to do with these millions of diplaced people. And then Pelosi with her expensive 16 dollars a pint designer ice cream in her $24,000 freezer. The Marie Antoinette comparison really sticks in her case. She clearly is living like a queen and stalling legislation, eating her expensive treats while she starves the people she pretends to care about.

Link Copied to Clipboard