Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I started watching “Devs” on FX/Hulu tonight. Just the first episode.

It’s a limited series (eight episodes), created by Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Dredd, Ex Machina) about a young software developer who stumbles into a murder mystery connected to her company and the mysterious and conspiratorial founder/CEO played by Nick “Ron Swanson” Offerman.

(Ironically enough, the first episode had an opening commercial from Microsoft. At first I thought it was a meta joke. It wasn’t.)

The first episode set up an interesting mystery with a few clues that might portend the ending if one is a devotee of science fiction and comic books, including Alan Moore’s first issue of “Swamp Thing.” Or maybe not. I’ll have to see where it goes.

The cast is unique. Never since “Silicon Valley” have I seen a show set in the tech business that was this willing to cast relatively plain people as the leads. There are no “stacked hackers,” ala Angelina Jolie or Hugh Jackman here. The best-looking person (and I use the term generously) is the lead actress, who looks like a prepubescent boy in “Godzilla” movie. Ron Swanson continues to amaze in that he’s at least ten years younger than the character he plays (not unlike P&R). The blond assistant, normally the type that would be played by a Vogue model, reminds me of a cleaned-up Amy Sedaris.

Most of the special effects are serviceable. There are at least two scenes in the first episode where you could see that the high-tech equipment is made out of carefully painted wood and plumbing parts. However, if you can accept the sets on “Star Trek” or the original “Star Wars” you can live with that.

Overall, it was an interesting beginning. The show seems like a mashup of two genres I enjoy (science fiction and detective) and, while some of the clues make me think I know where it’s going, I’m not sure and look forward to seeing more in an effort to figure it out.

And, if it starts to suck it’s only eight episodes so I can muddle through it.

the G-man #1231794 2020-04-30 2:48 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I remember the promos for this looking good. I’m doing some Netflix now but was thinking about switching to Hulu after finishing up Orange is the new Black.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Are you saying you subscribe to one and then switch to the other service?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I actually usually have neither but occasionally do a month or two of one or the other. I just don’t get a chance to watch much tv on a regular basis so it would just be a waste keeping them monthly.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
OK. Got it. I’ve got a Hulu account because about the only thing I do watch on TV is old sitcom’s right before I go to bed and Hulu has ones I like. And since I have Amazon prime I already get shows from them. My girlfriend has Netflix so I watch those shows when I’m at her house

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I’ve got Amazon Prime too. Also the cable service has tons of free shows and movies on demand. And of course there is the internet. Quite a difference from when we were kids with maybe getting a couple of network stations on the tv and if the parents were watching it. When we were older there was a black and white tv grandparents gave us that I would watch Doctor Who on if PBS was coming in.

Anyways the Devs show looks good so I’m interested if you liked it after you’ve seen the season.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I’ve got Amazon Prime too. Also the cable service has tons of free shows and movies on demand.

Other than internet I cut the cable years ago. I tried putting up a simple digital antenna but where I live I'd need to actually climb up on the roof and install one (and considering I'm a regular Clark Griswold when it comes to ladders that isn't happening).

I'll let you know what I think.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I’m interested if you liked it after you’ve seen the season.

I finished it tonight. I'd probably give it an 8 or 9.

The concept was fascinating, if not disturbing (especially the final concept) and handled better than most TV shows or movies that try this sort of thing.

For the most part, the story played fair with the audience in terms of the story. There was no "out of left field" plot twist or overt paradoxes, assuming one paid attention.

The weakest part was the lead actress. Her delivery is sometimes flat, to the point of almost taking one out of the story. As the series went on I realized that when she isn't actually talking, her acting is rather good: her facial expressions, her body language, etc., did a good job of complying her emotions (sometimes complex ones). But, when she opens her mouth, she voice seems to convey little of that. I suspect the issue is that English isn't her first language and this impeded her vocal (rather than physical) performance. That being said, the rest of the cast is very good and, as noted above, I was impressed by the willingness to have a TV show cast with largely plain to unattractive characters.

It was overall a smart science fiction show and the kind of intelligent limited series we need more of.

If/when you get Hulu again I'd recommend it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Thanks for the info, I will check it out. My brother and nephew say I must watch the Witcher too so I’ve got stuff to watch.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thanks for the info, I will check it out. My brother and nephew say I must watch the Witcher too so I’ve got stuff to watch.

I saw bits and pieces of “the Witcher” as my GF watched it while she was working from home. It looked okay. You should write us a review if you watch it.

Link Copied to Clipboard