Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 50 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 49 50
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
If the Bible tells you homosexuality is a sin, then in good conscience I think you can ignore that part of the Bible.

If the Bible tells you slavery is a tolerable practice, should you own slaves?

Check this out:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sla_bibl.htm

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Quotations by learned men from the 19th century:

"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America. 1,2

"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell

"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina

"The hope of civilization itself hangs on the defeat of Negro suffrage." A statement by a prominent 19th-century southern Presbyterian pastor, cited by Rev. Jack Rogers, moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA).

"The doom of Ham has been branded on the form and features of his African descendants. The hand of fate has united his color and destiny. Man cannot separate what God hath joined." United States Senator James Henry Hammond.

The quotation by Jefferson Davis, listed above, reflected the beliefs of many Americans in the 19th century. Slavery was seen as having been "sanctioned in the Bible." They argued that:

Biblical passages recognized, controlled, and regulated the practice.
The Bible permitted owners to beat their slaves severely, even to the point of killing them. However, as long as the slave lingered longer than 24 hours before dying of the abuse, the owner was not regarded as having committed a crime, because -- after all -- the slave was his property. 4
Paul had every opportunity to write in one of his Epistles that human slavery -- the owning of one person as a piece of property by another -- is profoundly evil. His letter to Philemon would have been an ideal opportunity to vilify slavery. But he wrote not one word of criticism.
Jesus could have condemned the practice. He might have done so. But there is no record of him having said anything negative about the institution.

Eventually, the abolitionists gained sufficient power to eradicate slavery in most areas of the world by the end of the 19th century. Slavery was eventually recognized as a extreme evil. But this paradigm shift in understanding came at a cost. Christians wondered why the Bible was so supportive of such an immoral practice. They questioned whether the Bible was entirely reliable. Perhaps there were other practices that it accepted as normal which were profoundly evil -- like genocide, torturing prisoners, raping female prisoners of war, executing religious minorities, burning some hookers alive, etc. The innocent faith that Christians had in "the Good Book" was lost -- never to be fully regained.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nowadays, in our enlightened age, we correctly recognise slavery as an intolerable abomination, against ever precept of human dignity, fairness and conscience. The Bible on this issue is wrong.

I take the same view on homosexuality. A refusal to allow or accept that some people choose to have sex with other free-thinking individuals of the same gender is pure intolerance.

Whoa. This is as far as I've read, so far, but I had to comment on this blatent missquote. Whoa.

The slavery listed in the Bible is not about superiority or anything like that. If someone stole form you, and they could not pay you back, then they worked off their debt as your slave. Or, someone could sell themselves into slavery to get out of debt, or to get off the streets, but, only for a short period of time. Hell, if you only had one pillow in your house, you had to give to your slave. And, when the slave paid off their debt, they had to leave. If they didn't, if they chose to remain a slave, then they had an ear pierced, to show their refusal to live free. There is a lot more, it is very complicated. I hate it when people misquote things like that. No matter how long ago they did it.

DavetWB, the year is 5764, the place...rob online.

Anyway, this is a great discussion. I still have a lot of catching up to do, so please don't expect me to respond to anything else for a while.

Don't mind me. I decided to edit out some things I posted. On second thought, they could spark discussion that I don't want to get into, and may have insulted some people, who I am not here to, nor do I wish to insult in any way.

Last edited by PenWing; 2004-01-09 3:31 PM.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Top Stories - AP

Mass. High Court Rules for Gay Marriage

By JENNIFER PETER, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - The Massachusetts high court ruled Wednesday that only full, equal marriage rights for gay couples — rather than civil unions — would be constitutional, erasing any doubts that the nation's first same-sex marriages could take place in the state beginning in mid-May.

The court issued the opinion in response to a request from the state Senate about whether Vermont-style civil unions, which convey the state benefits of marriage — but not the title — would meet constitutional muster.

"The history of our nation has demonstrated that separate is seldom, if ever, equal," the four justices who ruled in favor of gay marriage wrote in the advisory opinion. A bill that would allow for civil unions, but falls short of marriage, makes for "unconstitutional, inferior, and discriminatory status for same-sex couples."

The much-anticipated opinion sets the stage for next Wednesday's constitutional convention, where the Legislature will consider an amendment that would legally define marriage as a union between one man and one woman. Without the opinion, Senate President Robert Travaglini had said the vote would be delayed.

The soonest a constitutional amendment could end up on the ballot would be 2006, meaning that until then, the high court's decision will be Massachusetts law no matter what is decided at the constitutional convention.

The Supreme Judicial Court ruled in November that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry, and gave the Legislature six months to change state laws to make it happen.

But almost immediately, the vague wording of the ruling left lawmakers — and advocates on both side of the issue — uncertain if Vermont-style civil unions would satisfy the court's decision.

The state Senate asked for more guidance from the court and sought the advisory opinion, which was made public Wednesday morning when it was read into the Senate record.

When it was issued in November, the 4-3 ruling set off a firestorm of protest across the country among politicians, religious leaders and others opposed to providing landmark rights for gay couples to marry.

President Bush immediately denounced the decision and vowed to pursue legislation to protect the traditional definition of marriage. Church leaders in the heavily Roman Catholic state also pressed their parishioners to oppose efforts to allow gays to marry.

And legislators were prepared to vote on a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would seek to make the court's ruling moot by defining as marriage as a union between one man and one woman — thus expressly making same-sex marriages illegal in Massachusetts.

What the case represented, both sides agree, was a significant new milestone in a year that has seen broad new recognitions of gay rights in America, Canada and abroad, including a June U.S. Supreme Court decision striking a Texas ban on gay sex.

Legal experts, however, said that the long-awaited decision, while clearly stating that it is unconstitutional to bar gay couples from marriage, gave ambiguous instructions to the state Legislature.

Lawmakers remained uncertain if civil unions went far enough to live up to the court's ruling — or if actual marriages were required.

When a similar decision was issued in Vermont in 1999, the court told the Legislature that it could allow gay couples to marry or create a parallel institution that conveys all the state rights and benefits of marriage. The Legislature chose the second route, leading to the approval of civil unions in that state.

The Massachusetts decision made no mention of an alternative solution, but instead pointed to a recent decision in Ontario, Canada, that changed the common law definition of marriage to include same-sex couples and led to the issuance of marriage licenses there.

The state "has failed to identify any constitutionally adequate reason for denying civil marriage to same-sex couples," the court wrote. "Barred access to the protections, benefits and obligations of civil marriage, a person who enters into an intimate, exclusive union with another of the same sex is arbitrarily deprived of membership in one of our community's most rewarding and cherished institutions."

The Massachusetts case began in 2001, when seven gay couples went to their city and town halls to obtain marriage licenses. All were denied, leading them to sue the state Department of Public Health, which administers the state's marriage laws.

A Suffolk Superior Court judge threw out the case in 2002, ruling that nothing in state law gives gay couples the right to marry. The couples immediately appealed to the Supreme Judicial Court, which heard arguments in March.

The plaintiffs argued that barring them from marrying a partner of the same sex denied them access to an intrinsic human experience and violated basic constitutional rights.

Over the past decade, Massachusetts' high court has expanded the legal parameters of family, ruling that same-sex couples can adopt children and devising child visitation right for a former partner of a lesbian.

Massachusetts has one of the highest concentrations of gay households in the country with at 1.3 percent of the total number of coupled households, according to the 2000 census. In California, 1.4 percent of the coupled households are occupied by same-sex partners. Vermont and New York also registered at 1.3 percent, while in Washington, D.C., the rate is 5.1 percent

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
"But scripture, beginning with Genesis in 1400 B.C., clearly takes a hardline against homosexual practices.

Furthermore, any gay marriages by Presbyterians or any other Protestant, Catholic, or Jewish denomination is also a practice that clearly goes against scripture. Any Judao-Christian "service" that endorses or enacts gay marriage is Christian in name ONLY, and clearly does not follow what the Bible teaches. "

Yawn. This is the United States of America, not the United States of Jesus. If one can't see the difference, then you're a limited person.

Jim

We all wear a green carnation.
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
ah just put em all in one big hole.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

Yawn. This is the United States of America, not the United States of Jesus. If one can't see the difference, then you're a limited person.

Jim

Accept a concept (what you view it as) for what it is.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
if people wanna but plug each other thats there business, but i dont think my tax dollars should have to support it.....

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Top Stories - AP

Legislators Weigh Action on Gay Marriages

By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Despite Massachusetts' highest court allowing same-sex marriages by summer, legislators opposed to the concept were weighing options to try to circumvent the ruling — either through a law or a constitutional amendment.

"The court has overstepped its boundary and has not let the legislative process to unfold the way it has on other issues," said Rep. Eugene O'Flaherty.

The 4-3 advisory ruling Wednesday by the Supreme Judicial Court creates a legislative dilemma that could force many uneasy lawmakers to choose sides on a contentious social issue.

The court Wednesday doused one compromise option, ruling that gay couples were entitled to all the benefits of marriage and that Vermont-style civil unions don't go far enough.

But some gay marriage opponents, including powerful House Speaker Thomas Finneran, said they haven't closed the door on other legislative responses.

"I intend to closely study today's advisory opinion," said Finneran. "I will refrain from any comment until I have thought through the options which remain for the people of Massachusetts and their elected representatives."

Opponents of gay marriage pin their hopes on part of the court's original ruling that said state law provided no "rational" basis for prohibiting same-sex couples from the benefits of marriage.

Some lawmakers, including Rep. Eugene O'Flaherty, hope to craft a bill providing a rational basis for the exclusion of gay couples from marriage while conveying some new benefits to same-sex couples.

"The court has overstepped its boundary and has not let the legislative process to unfold the way it has on other issues," O'Flaherty said.

The much-anticipated opinion came a week before next Wednesday's Constitutional Convention, where the Legislature will consider an amendment backed by Gov. Mitt Romney that would define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

"The spotlight is now shining brightly on the Constitutional Convention. I can't believe any lawmaker would want to run from this," said Rep. Philip Travis, who sponsored the amendment.

The soonest a constitutional amendment could end up on the ballot would be 2006, meaning that the nation's first gay marriage could take place in Massachusetts as soon as May.

"We've heard from the court, but not from the people," Romney said in a statement. "The people of Massachusetts should not be excluded from a decision as fundamental to our society as the definition of marriage."

Senate President Robert Travaglini, who will preside over the Constitutional Convention, said he needed time to talk with fellow senators before deciding what to do next.

"I want to have everyone stay in an objective and calm state as we plan and define what's the appropriate way to proceed," said Travaglini. "There is a lot of anxiety out there obviously surrounding the issue but I don't want to have it cloud or distort the discussion."

The advisory opinion was issued about three months after the court's original ruling that same-sex couples were entitled to all the benefits of marriage. That ruling prompted the Senate to ask if civil unions would satisfy the court.

Wednesday's opinion left no doubt.

"The history of our nation has demonstrated that separate is seldom, if ever, equal," four justices wrote in Wednesday's opinion. "For no rational reason the marriage laws of the Commonwealth discriminate against a defined class; no amount of tinkering with language will eradicate that stain."

Lawmakers who cheered the ruling said they welcomed the chance to stand up and be counted. Sen. Jarrett Barrios, a supporter of gay marriage, said the opinion treats gay and straight couples equally.

"Whatever your view is of marriage, it's my belief that fair-minded people oppose writing discrimination into the constitution," said Barrios, who is gay.

A marriage amendment will require the support of at least 101 members of the 200-member Legislature during the current legislative session and the same number in the new, two-year session that begins in January before going on the ballot.

There's no guarantee the question will even come up next week. The question is eighth on a list of 11 proposed amendments. Ahead of it are other controversial proposals, including one lengthening the term of lawmakers from two to four years.

At least one aspect of the case may still be subject to debate: Would marriages in Massachusetts have to be recognized legally in other states or by the federal government?

The federal government and 38 other states have enacted laws barring the recognition of any gay marriages in other jurisdictions. The Massachusetts court decision will likely lead to multiple lawsuits about whether gay marriage benefits can extend beyond the state's borders.

President Bush, reacting to the court ruling, said a constitutional amendment will be necessary to ban gay marriages if judges persist in approving them. The issue has the potential to become a hot factor in the presidential campaign.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm reminded of my seemingly prophetic statements about this issue becoming little more than a political football.

We're all being used.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah I wish this just could be put on hold for a bit. I do agree with the courts decision but this is an issue that requires slow change over time. And in the scheme of all things political, theres much more important issues.

Fair play!
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I just hope we don't change the laws here 'just because Canada did it'. LOL

As an Animal Science major, I found this interesting.

Quote:

Love That Dare Not Squeak Its Name
By DINITIA SMITH

Published: February 7, 2004

Roy and Silo, two chinstrap penguins at the Central Park Zoo in Manhattan, are completely devoted to each other. For nearly six years now, they have been inseparable. They exhibit what in penguin parlance is called "ecstatic behavior": that is, they entwine their necks, they vocalize to each other, they have sex. Silo and Roy are, to anthropomorphize a bit, gay penguins. When offered female companionship, they have adamantly refused it. And the females aren't interested in them, either.

At one time, the two seemed so desperate to incubate an egg together that they put a rock in their nest and sat on it, keeping it warm in the folds of their abdomens, said their chief keeper, Rob Gramzay. Finally, he gave them a fertile egg that needed care to hatch. Things went perfectly. Roy and Silo sat on it for the typical 34 days until a chick, Tango, was born. For the next two and a half months they raised Tango, keeping her warm and feeding her food from their beaks until she could go out into the world on her own. Mr. Gramzay is full of praise for them.

"They did a great job," he said. He was standing inside the glassed-in penguin exhibit, where Roy and Silo had just finished lunch. Penguins usually like a swim after they eat, and Silo was in the water. Roy had finished his dip and was up on the beach.

Roy and Silo are hardly unusual. Milou and Squawk, two young males, are also beginning to exhibit courtship behavior, hanging out with each other, billing and bowing. Before them, the Central Park Zoo had Georgey and Mickey, two female Gentoo penguins who tried to incubate eggs together. And Wendell and Cass, a devoted male African penguin pair, live at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. Indeed, scientists have found homosexual behavior throughout the animal world.

This growing body of science has been increasingly drawn into charged debates about homosexuality in American society, on subjects from gay marriage to sodomy laws, despite reluctance from experts in the field to extrapolate from animals to humans. Gay groups argue that if homosexual behavior occurs in animals, it is natural, and therefore the rights of homosexuals should be protected. On the other hand, some conservative religious groups have condemned the same practices in the past, calling them "animalistic."

But if homosexuality occurs among animals, does that necessarily mean that it is natural for humans, too? And that raises a familiar question: if homosexuality is not a choice, but a result of natural forces that cannot be controlled, can it be immoral?

The open discussion of homosexual behavior in animals is relatively new. "There has been a certain cultural shyness about admitting it," said Frans de Waal, whose 1997 book, "Bonobo: The Forgotten Ape" (University of California Press), unleashed a torrent of discussion about animal sexuality. Bonobos, apes closely related to humans, are wildly energetic sexually. Studies show that whether observed in the wild or in captivity, nearly all are bisexual, and nearly half their sexual interactions are with the same sex. Female bonobos have been observed to engage in homosexual activity almost hourly.

Before his own book, "American scientists who investigated bonobos never discussed sex at all," said Mr. de Waal, director of the Living Links Center of the Yerkes Primate Center at Emory University in Atlanta. "Or they sometimes would show two females having sex together, and would say, `The females are very affectionate.' "

Then in 1999, Bruce Bagemihl published "Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity" (St. Martin's Press), one of the first books of its kind to provide an overview of scholarly studies of same-sex behavior in animals. Mr. Bagemihl said homosexual behavior had been documented in some 450 species. (Homosexuality, he says, refers to any of these behaviors between members of the same sex: long-term bonding, sexual contact, courtship displays or the rearing of young.) Last summer the book was cited by the American Psychiatric Association and other groups in a "friend of the court" brief submitted to the Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas, a case challenging a Texas anti-sodomy law. The court struck down the law.

"Sexual Exuberance" was also cited in 2000 by gay rights groups opposed to Ballot Measure 9, a proposed Oregon statute prohibiting teaching about homosexuality or bisexuality in public schools. The measure lost.

In his book Mr. Bagemihl describes homosexual activity in a broad spectrum of animals. He asserts that while same-sex behavior is sometimes found in captivity, it is actually seen more frequently in studies of animals in the wild.

Among birds, for instance, studies show that 10 to 15 percent of female western gulls in some populations in the wild are homosexual. Females perform courtship rituals, like tossing their heads at each other or offering small gifts of food to each other, and they establish nests together. Occasionally they mate with males and produce fertile eggs but then return to their original same-sex partners. Their bonds, too, may persist for years.

Among mammals, male and female bottlenose dolphins frequently engage in homosexual activity, both in captivity and in the wild. Homosexuality is particularly common among young male dolphin calves. One male may protect another that is resting or healing from wounds inflicted by a predator. When one partner dies, the other may search for a new male mate. Researchers have noted that in some cases same-sex behavior is more common for dolphins in captivity.

Male and female rhesus macaques, a type of monkey, also exhibit homosexuality in captivity and in the wild. Males are affectionate to each other, touching, holding and embracing. Females smack their lips at each other and play games like hide-and-seek, peek-a-boo and follow the leader. And both sexes mount members of their own sex.

Paul L. Vasey, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at the University of Lethbridge in Canada, who studies homosexual behavior in Japanese macaques, is editing a new book on homosexual behavior in animals, to be published by Cambridge University Press. This kind of behavior among animals has been observed by scientists as far back as the 1700's, but Mr. Vasey said one reason there had been few books on the topic was that "people don't want to do the research because they don't want to have suspicions raised about their sexuality."

Some scientists say homosexual behavior in animals is not necessarily about sex. Marlene Zuk, a professor of biology at the University of California at Riverside and author of "Sexual Selections: What We Can and Can't Learn About Sex From Animals" (University of California Press, 2002), notes that scientists have speculated that homosexuality may have an evolutionary purpose, ensuring the survival of the species. By not producing their own offspring, homosexuals may help support or nurture their relatives' young. "That is a contribution to the gene pool," she said.

For Janet Mann, a professor of biology and psychology at Georgetown University, who has studied same-sex behavior in dolphin calves, their homosexuality "is about bond formation," she said, "not about being sexual for life."

She said that studies showed that adult male dolphins formed long-term alliances, sometimes in large groups. As adults, they cooperate to entice a single female and keep other males from her. Sometimes they share the female, or they may cooperate to help one male. "Male-male cooperation is extremely important," Ms. Mann said. The homosexual behavior of the young calves "could be practicing" for that later, crucial adult period, she added.

But, scientists say, just because homosexuality is observed in animals doesn't mean that it is only genetically based. "Homosexuality is extraordinarily complex and variable," Mr. Bagemihl said. "We look at animals as pure biology and pure genetics, and they are not." He noted that "the occurrence of same-sex behavior in animals provides support for the nurture side as well." He cited as an example the ruff, a type of Arctic sandpiper. There are four different classes of male ruffs, each differing from the others genetically. The two that differ most from each other are most similar in their homosexual behaviors.

Ms. Zuk said, "You have inclinations that are more or less supported by our genes and in some environmental circumstances get expressed." She used the analogy of right- or left-handedness, thought to be genetically based. "But you can teach naturally left-handed children to use their right hand," she pointed out.

Still, scientists warn about drawing conclusions about humans. "For some people, what animals do is a yardstick of what is and isn't natural," Mr. Vasey said. "They make a leap from saying if it's natural, it's morally and ethically desirable."

But he added: "Infanticide is widespread in the animal kingdom. To jump from that to say it is desirable makes no sense. We shouldn't be using animals to craft moral and social policies for the kinds of human societies we want to live in. Animals don't take care of the elderly. I don't particularly think that should be a platform for closing down nursing homes."

Mr. Bagemihl is also wary of extrapolating. "In Nazi Germany, one very common interpretation of homosexuality was that it was animalistic behavior, subhuman," he said.

What the animal studies do show, Ms. Zuk observed, is that "sexuality is a lot broader term than people want to think."

"You have this idea that the animal kingdom is strict, old-fashioned Roman Catholic," she said, "that they have sex just to procreate."

In bonobos, she noted, "you see expressions of sex outside the period when females are fertile. Suddenly you are beginning to see that sex is not necessarily about reproduction."

"Sexual expression means more than making babies," Ms. Zuk said. "Why are we surprised? People are animals."

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
It's difficult to make sense of everything we hear. I've seen just about as much that disagrees with those previous findings. Scientists are human beings too, and therefore there's an angle, however subtle, to what they observe and report. The trouble is that everything so far is descriptive evidence, various circumstances that have been observed. That's okay in and of itself, but when it's used as evidence of underlying factors without any conclusive supporting information that pertains directly to those underlying factors, you're still going out on a limb to say your side has THE ANSWER(tm).

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Top Stories - AP

San Francisco Officials Marry Gay Couples

By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - In an open challenge to California law, city authorities performed at least 15 same-sex weddings Thursday and issued about a dozen more marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples.

By midafternoon, jubilant gay couples were lining up under City Hall's ornate gold dome and exchanging vows in two-minute ceremonies that followed one after another.

"Today a barrier to true justice has been removed," said Gavin Newsom, newly elected mayor of the city considered the capital of gay America.

No state legally sanctions gay marriage, and it remains unclear what practical value the marriage licenses will have. The weddings violate a ballot measure California voters approved in 2000 that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The move by San Francisco's mayor came as lawmakers in Massachusetts continued to debate a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage in that state, where the nation's first legally recognized same-sex weddings are set to take place this spring under a ruling from the Massachusetts high court.

The assembly-line nuptials began with longtime lesbian activists Phyllis Lyon, 79, and Del Martin, 83, who were hurriedly issued a married license and were wedded just before noon by City Assessor Mabel Teng in a closed-door civil ceremony at City Hall. The two have been a couple for 51 years.

About 30 couples crowded outside the San Francisco County Clerk's office awaiting licenses, many arm in arm. One of the women, wearing a white wedding dress and veil, encouraged couples to shout out their names and how long they had been together.

"I understand there are wrinkles that need to be worked out, but as far as I'm concerned, we will be married," said Molly McKay as she and her partner of eight years, Davina Kotulski, stood at the clerk's counter.

During one of the weddings, performed before TV cameras, the vows were rewritten so that "husband and wife" became "spouse for life."

A conservative group called the Campaign for California Families called the marriages a sham.

"These unlawful certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on. The renegade mayor of San Francisco has no authority to do this," said Randy Thomasson, executive director. "This is nothing more than a publicity stunt that disrespects our state law and system of government itself."

San Francisco officials insisted the licenses are legally binding and would immediately confer new benefits in everything from health coverage to funeral arrangements.

California Attorney General Bill Lockyer had no comment.

The gay marriages were timed by city officials to outmaneuver the conservative group. The group had planned to go to court on Friday to stop the mayor's announced plans to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. But city officials struck first.

Lyon and Martin said after their brief ceremony that they were going home to rest and did not plan anything to celebrate. The couple seemed proud of what they had done.

"Why shouldn't we" be able to marry? Lyon asked.

The mayor was not present at the morning ceremony but later presented Martin and Lyon with a signed copy of the state constitution with sections related to equal rights highlighted.

The two official witnesses were Kate Kendell, director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights and former city official Roberta Achtenberg.

The conservative group fighting gay marriage has also sued to try to block California's domestic partner law, which then-Gov. Gray Davis signed in September.

That law expands the rights of gay couples in areas ranging from health coverage and parental status to property ownership and funeral arrangements.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Even if that action was toward something I agreed with, this guy can't just re-write law at his own whim.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
True. This is only going to make the situation worse.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
"The assembly-line nuptials began with longtime lesbian activists Phyllis Lyon, 79, and Del Martin, 83, who were hurriedly issued a married license and were wedded just before noon by City Assessor Mabel Teng in a closed-door civil ceremony at City Hall. The two have been a couple for 51 years. "

I just don't see how anyone can find a marriage between these women to be anything other than beautiful...my god, they've been a couple for 51 years!

God bless them.

Jim

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I just don't see how anyone can find a marriage between these women to be anything other than beautiful

I find it quite easy to do so. I mean, they're fucking skeletons with sheet paper stretched over them. I really wouldn't like to be a witness for that wedding night.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Out of curiosity are there any straight married guys here that are against gay marriage? Those that are rutting around in the premarital bed or chronic masterbators might want to take a look in the mirror.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you think there might be a gay guy in the room somewhere peeking at us?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think most gay guys have better things to do
Seriously though, it's funny seeing people who are making these moral arguments yet don't practice what they preach.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i didnt see alot of moral arguments here, i seen alot of people saying its not the courts place to reverse the people will, because the court has an agenda....

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah most of the last 2 pages have been more focussed about the courts latest decision but the bulk of the thread is a different story. And will these same folk be upset if theres a constitutional amendment making sure no states have gay marriage even if a state wants it?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

Article. V.
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress

if it is made an admendment it will have been approved by 3/4ths of the states....

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
Quote:

Article. V.
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress

if it is made an admendment it will have been approved by 3/4ths of the states....

Ugh! OK majority does rule in that case. Social Studies was so boring at my school! And as I posted a couple of days ago I don't agree with a court deciding these types of things. Still think there is much hypocrisy when it comes to this issue. As others pointed out earlier I doubt the majority would be comfortable with the government really trying to protect the sanctity of marriage by it's worst offenders.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you might be right, but thats why we live in a democracy, its what the majority chooses. if the majority chooses to make a marriage a union between man and woman then that is the law. its not right for a court to arbitrarily(sp?) decide it doesnt like it so it wont happen. if the majority decided divorces werent allowed id have to live with that as well. do you also find it ironic that the same people who argued the alabamba jusdge should follow the law and not his beliefs arent making the same case about these judges?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
We don't live in a real democracy, though, we live in a representative democracy. "The people" aren't the one's making the laws, individuals who supposedly represent the people are.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Misrepresent might be a better word for it. Society will not crumble if the government recognizes gay marriages. It didn't when the slaves were freed or when women gained the right to vote or civil rights just a couple of decades ago. Yet we have the same old tired arguments that popped up then reappearing in the here and now.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
,,,,dont get me started on women voting....

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
We don't live in a real democracy, though, we live in a representative democracy. "The people" aren't the one's making the laws, individuals who supposedly represent the people are.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'm glad you find that so funny.....

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
If you wanna know how the populace feels, we could always take an anonymous poll in here...

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
ewwwwwww

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
If you wanna know how the populace feels, we could always take an anonymous poll in here...

Sadly, like every poll here, it would just be a contest to see who had the most alternate ID's.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
U.S. National - AP

Chicago Mayor OK With Gay Marriage
28 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Mayor Richard Daley said he would have "no problem" with Cook County issuing marriage licenses to gay couples in Chicago, the nation's third largest city.

Entering a national debate over gay marriage, Daley urged sympathy for same-sex couples because "they love each other just as much as anyone else."

Daley also dismissed a suggestion Wednesday that marriage between gay couples would undermine the institution.

"Marriage has been undermined by divorce, so don't tell me about marriage," he said. "Don't blame the gay and lesbian, transgender and transsexual community."

Daley said only the county clerk's office can issue marriage licenses, and he stopped short of saying he would follow San Francisco's Mayor Gavin Newsom by approving marriage licenses for same-sex couples.

County Clerk David Orr said he was "game to looking at options," but only if a consensus could be built between Daley, city and county government and advocacy groups.

"I'm fed up with people being discriminated against because of their sexual orientation," Orr said. "(But) whatever you do when it comes to challenging laws, you want it to be effective and not knee-jerk."

Last fall the county board authorized Orr to issue certificates of domestic partnership that carry no legal rights.

Rick Garcia, political director for the gay rights group Equality Illinois, welcomed Daley's comments, saying they represent "another step in the right direction."

At least 38 states and the federal government have approved laws or amendments barring the recognition of gay marriage. Meanwhile, gay and lesbian couples from more than 20 states and Europe have flocked to San Francisco since city officials decided to begin marrying same-sex couples last week.

Massachusetts' highest court also recently ruled that its state constitution allows gay marriages.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I doubt it'll get past many people. The political leanings within this town notwithstanding, it's basically smack in the middle of the Midwest. You tell me.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
300+ posts
300+ posts
New Mexico Clerk Issues Gay Marriage Licenses
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: February 20, 2004 11:22 a.m. ET
Updated: February 20, 2004 2:44 p.m. ET

(Albuquerque, New Mexico) Sandoval County, a community of about 90,000 people just north of Albuquerque has became the second community in the country to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

A lesbian couple was issued the first license and exchanged vows outside the county courthouse Friday as other same-sex couples lined up for their chance to tie the knot.

County Clerk Victoria Dunlap said she feared a lawsuit if she does not grant the licenses to gay couples.

Sandoval County attorney David Mathews agrees there is potential same-sex couples could sue under New Mexico law if the licenses were refused.

State law defines marriage as a civil contract between contracting parties, but does not mention gender.

When Dunlop made her decision she said she had not been approached by any same-sex couple seeking a license but after reading about the recent court decision in Massachusetts which has similar laws she became concerned that a refusal could end up in a lengthy and expensive court battle which the county would not win.

"This office won't say no until shown it's not permissible,'' said Dunlap.

Shortly after the word was out, gay and lesbian couples began arriving at the cler's office.

A spokesperson for state Attorney General Patricia Madrid, Sam Thompson, said the attorney general’s office never has been asked for an opinion on the issue.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The President is today publically saying for the first time that he would support a Constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

Great. Use the document created by the Fore Fathers for the express purpose of expanding citizens' rights to decrease citizens' rights.

Damn, I do hate this president.

Jim

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Marriage is a right, not a priviledge.

Why can't people remember that?

now known as rex
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
The President is today publically saying for the first time that he would support a Constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

Great. Use the document created by the Fore Fathers for the express purpose of expanding citizens' rights to decrease citizens' rights.

Damn, I do hate this president.

Jim

Or more accurately: SAVING the rights of those who believe marriage is one man/one woman, protecting that definition, which has endured for over 6000 years, from perversion.

I've already described the symbolic purity and commitment of marriage, as defined in the Bible, for practicing Christians and Jews.
And the clear view of homosexuality in the Bible, chapter and verse, from Genesis forward. Something morally impure, and a precursor of Armageddon, could never be endorsed in any legitimate Judao/Christian ceremony.

And separately from the Bible, the significance of marriage for those in Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu cultures.

It's only secularist schmucks in Europe and North America who decadently oppose the will of the overwhelming majority of their populations, to sneak pro-gay rulings into law, through unlawful channels, bypassing legislation and consent of the majority, which allows these abberrations to become law.

Again:

If gays want to have civil union, that is acceptable to me. But changing the definition of marriage is absolutely unacceptable.

It is not even about rights, for gays pushing this agenda. It's about secularist liberals maliciously trying to undermine every last vestige of religious rights and institutions.

--------------------

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Dave said: "Or more accurately, SAVING the rights of those who believe marriage is one man/one woman, protecting that definition, which has endured for over 6000 years, from perversion."

Dave, this is the United States of America. It is not a Judeo-Christian theocracy. It was not set up to be run in that fashion regardless of how much The Ten Commandments influenced our nation's laws. If the Founding Fathers wanted the Bible followed explicitly, they would have said so.

The marriage of any man and woman is no more threatened by a gay civil union (I fully accept that if a religion says a gay union is verboten then it's verboten IN THAT RELIGION) than it is threatened by a black marrying a white.

You cannot deny a civil liberty to one group of people that is afforded by another group of people.

The Constitution protects people and expands the rights of people. Not a "definition."

Jim

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
And as a follow up...those who want to "save and protect" marriage by an amendment defining marriage heterosexually...how about we just set up an amendment that outlaws divorce. THAT's the real threat to marriage.

You get married and make it for life. No dissolution, civil or otherwise. To get a divorce is to commit a crime.

Jim

Page 18 of 50 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard